ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is It Racist?

I'm 1/4 Cherokee. This offends me because in my mind it insinuates my people were not smart enough to pick/use cotton.

Am I doing it right?
Actually Native Americans started it before anybody as a crop in this land. You are 1/4 O.G. cotton farmer.

I did. Rode the bus with white kids too.
My parents are both about 6-8 years older than you. So they started right at the beginning of that transition. I always appreciate the perspective of old timers that actually lived thru that time. Haven't had a chance in probably 20 years to talk to anyone that was a black person going thru school during that time , especially in small rural areas. I got to talk to some neighbors of my grandparents for a report back when I was a freshmen in HS in regards to living in the south prior to civil rights and desegregation. I take their opinions and thoughts in higher regard since they lived thru this subject. I have a harder time listening to a 20 something on the subject.

My parents are both about 6-8 years older than you. So they started right at the beginning of that transition. I always appreciate the perspective of old timers that actually lived thru that time. Haven't had a chance in probably 20 years to talk to anyone that was a black person going thru school during that time , especially in small rural areas. I got to talk to some neighbors of my grandparents for a report back when I was a freshmen in HS in regards to living in the south prior civil rights and desegregation. I take their opinions and thoughts in higher regard since they lived thru this subject. I have a harder time listening to a 20 something on the subject.

Personally I enjoyed it. Back in the day the students drove the bus to school and we as in my family had no drama. I grew up on 14 acres of land, we grew everything from corn to green beans to watermelon. We also had chickens and pigs. Both of my parents came from large families, both sets of grandparents were married for 50+ years so family was instilled me from the beginning.

Personally I enjoyed it. Back in the day the students drove the bus to school and we as in my family had no drama. I grew up on 14 acres of land, we grew everything from corn to green beans to watermelon. We also had chickens and pigs. Both of my parents came from large families, both sets of grandparents were married for 50+ years so family was instilled me from the beginning.

Most important thing in life. You aren't always gonna like family but always have to look out for each other. My mom grew up as 1 of 9 in Bertie County and everybody knew everyone in town and surrounding areas. You don't get that dynamic very much anymore , people have an issue with a neighbor nowadays. They just call the city and file a complaint if they don't like something there neighbor does. Nobody goes over and talks it out like people anymore.

Right. But your outrage should be reserved for legitimate purposes. Not over a poor use of a term that was not intended to be racist.
Who’s outraged? Not me. I don’t think the guy should lose his job but it’s defintiley a remark that should be retired by now.

Most important thing in life. You aren't always gonna like family but always have to look out for each other. My mom grew up as 1 of 9 in Bertie County and everybody knew everyone in town and surrounding areas. You don't get that dynamic very much anymore , people have an issue with a neighbor nowadays. They just call the city and file a complaint if they don't like something there neighbor does. Nobody goes over and talks it out like people anymore.

We lived next to our maternal grandparents and the driveway separated the 2 houses. When it came time to pick and work the fields it was my mom and dad, my 2 brothers and 2 sisters and my grandparents. I couldn't stand it but as I got older I understood. My 2 kids are Cali kids and they now love everything about where I grew up.

Reactions: Don't Fumble
We lived next to our maternal grandparents and the driveway separated the 2 houses. When it came time to pick and work the fields it was my mom and dad, my 2 brothers and 2 sisters and my grandparents. I couldn't stand it but as I got older I understood. My 2 kids are Cali kids and they now love everything about where I grew up.
That's great they still care about their roots from that far away. I have it easy , I can take a 2 hour car ride if I want to go to my grandparents old place. Eastern NC hasn't been as fortunate as some of the rural parts of Western NC in terms of that old way of living. Anybody with any ability or talent is moving away.

Is there anyone under 80 not from the rural south who actually uses the term cotton picking mind?

Also, Looney Tunes was crazy racist. So, probably was racist in intent.

Reactions: B-Westy
Never heard the phrase before so at first take it sounds blatantly racist. If it’s a common saying down south then maybe it wasn’t meant to be racist.
It's a common phrase in the south, or at least around here. I am white and have had it said to me and heard it said to numerous white people. People are just looking for something that isn't there and getting their panties twisted up for no reason. It was not meant to be racist, just an in the moment comment by a very excitable announcer (who says all kinds of goofy/funny things during games).

Reactions: treyforuk
You should be a Duke fan then. #thebrotherhood

Not sure who the apology would go to or a single person that would think they are deserving of one. Westbrook would probably be like "wtf are you talking about" leave me alone.

Reactions: SNU0821
Is there anyone under 80 not from the rural south who actually uses the term cotton picking mind?

Also, Looney Tunes was crazy racist. So, probably was racist in intent.

tenor.gif

Bugs Bunny used it. I don't remember Bugs being a racist. He hated white folks if anything. Look at the way he treated Elmer Fudd.

Not sure who the apology would go to or a single person that would think they are deserving of one. Westbrook would probably be like "wtf are you talking about" leave me alone.

You also have to understand Westbrook is from LA and I'm sure his parents are from there too. It's a different kind of living out there compared to the south so personally he doesn't deserve an apology. He's been in OKC 10+ years I think and for him not hear that phrase is kinda baffling to me.

Is wanting to buy a house in a suburb to avoid city crime considered racist or just smart?

It's far more racist to think that a black guy would feel any different. But also the reason you probably think that way is because you're near Detroit, which has a huge black poor community, so you associate the two.

You also have to understand Westbrook is from LA and I'm sure his parents are from there too. It's a different kind of living out there compared to the south so personally he doesn't deserve an apology. He's been in OKC 10+ years I think and for him not hear that phrase is kinda baffling to me.
What in the hell...?

Also, I live in the suburbs. I was inspecting the house one night before buying it about time it got dark, and this gigantic bald black dude walks up to me with a flashlight with the biggest dog I've ever seen.

I thought I was about to be murderered. But it turned out to be my neighbor about to regulate on me when he thought I was breaking in to his neighbors house.

Dude is awesome. Haven't worried about intruders since.

I have zero tolerance for real racism. I also have a quick trigger for outrage over fake racism. I think it trivializes real problems and issues that people have to face. Its probably a weakness of mine and should work on that, but real racism is disgusting and anything that takes away from the seriousness of it.....is shameful.

I see you don't get it. Where you from plays a big part in knowing what one says is offensive or not. I been all over the country and I heard that phrase a lot so it doesn't bother me. What that announcer said wasn't racist at all. Just a lot of people over reacting.
I find most phrases like that to be pretty hokey and usually used by people that avoid cursing at all cost. I liken it to dag nabbit, being on thin ice, cruising for a bruising, lost your marbles.......but what do I know.

Reactions: Don't Fumble
I find most phrases like that to be pretty hokey and usually used by people that avoid cursing at all cost. I liken it to dag nabbit, being on thin ice, cruising for a bruising, lost your marbles.......but what do I know.
But I mean, you do see the difference between your aforementioned phrases and the what the announcer said right?

If the announcer said Jeremy Lin was out of his rice picking mind, would it be racist?

But I mean, you do see the difference between your aforementioned phrases and the what the announcer said right?
Yes......but it seemed pretty clear the guy wasn't dropping a racial bomb on somebody. Its like reciting nursery rhymes to your kids when a lot of them have dark origins from the past.

Reactions: SNU0821
Not sure if we have any Southern born and raised black people on this board?

But would like to get that perspective more.

It's just a phrase.

But in this day and age it is not a phrase to be used in that setting.

But, no its not racist.

Besides, we will never know his intent. But I'm not sensitive over words so...

It's far more racist to think that a black guy would feel any different. But also the reason you probably think that way is because you're near Detroit, which has a huge black poor community, so you associate the two.

Milwaukee

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT