ADVERTISEMENT

Official Who is the best PG in the nation watch thread

Sometimes it’s not about size and athleticism.

Kaminsky was a 4 year guy that won national player of the year.
Jalen Brunson was a 4 year guy that won national player of the year.

Cassius Winston IMO is the best PG in college basketball even if he isn’t an nba talent.
I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just responding to the comment about not crowning these freshmen just yet.
Guys like Anthony and Maxey are pro talents, you don't have to crown them or even respect them, but don't be surprised if they're better than a 6'0" senior by the end of the season.
Problem is, you can't just compare stats, Maxey has 2 other stud guards sharing the ball with him. UNC plays a more up and down style than MSU and UK and Cassius has a better front court to deliver the ball to. So it will be tough to say who the better pg is.
They're all damn good though, can't go wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: AWilli6995
Guess Cole will be this year's version of Zion and Trae
At this same point last year Quentin Grimes was the Runner Up National Freshman of the Year and was destined to be a 1st or 2nd team All-American. Then the other 97% of the season happened.

At this point I don't know how anybody can say somebody other than Cassius Winston holds the top spot. Talented freshman can always threaten guys like him but they're much more vulnerable to hitting a mid-season slump. Suddenly those shots aren't going in and coach starts yelling at them more than they're used to hearing it. They lose confidence for awhile until they figure it out again. It's not very common that something like that happens to a senior veteran like Winston.

And if you go back and look at past Wooden/Naismith award winners in recent years they're all Juniors or Seniors who were expected to have excellent seasons. Winston is the obvious choice to keep this trend going.

Mason
Kaminsky
Valentine
Hield
Brunson
Jimmer
McDermott
Turner
Hansbrough

And if you go back and look at past Wooden/Naismith award winners in recent years they're all Juniors or Seniors who were expected to have excellent seasons. Winston is the obvious choice to keep this trend going.

Mason
Kaminsky
Valentine
Hield
Brunson
Jimmer
McDermott
Turner
Hansbrough

You left off Zion, Trey Burke, Anthony Davis, and Blake Griffin.

I suppose I should have said "some of the past" winners.

Are there any freshman this year that are expected to be at the same level Zion/Griffin/Davis were?

Griffin was a sophomore. I was only countering the 'upperclassmen' statement. I don't expect anyone to be at a Zion or AD level. But, Wiseman and Anthony are legitimate candidates to win NPOY.

Outside of those two, then yes, the rest of the main contenders are all upperclassmen. Winston, Powell, Howard, and Nwora.

2 games in

Devon Dotson 19.5 PPG 5 RPG 3.5 APG
Tyrese Maxey 17.5 PPG 4.2 RPG 2.0 APG
Ashton Hagans 11 PPG 4.5 RPG 4.0 APG
Tre Jones 15 PPG 5.5 RPG 7.5 APG
Cole Anthony 27 PPG 10.5 RPG 4.0 APG

Reactions: TheWizardofOz12
Simpson with a great game (17/3/9) to beat a likely tournament team in Creighton.

Hagans shot 1-8 and lost to Evansville at home.

I don’t like UM, but Zavier Simpson is good at basketball.

And I don’t like MSU but Cassius Winston showed us what he’s about taking to Simpson multiple times last year. Sometimes you just gotta tip your cap to players / teams you root against.

Sometimes it’s not about size and athleticism.

Kaminsky was a 4 year guy that won national player of the year.
Jalen Brunson was a 4 year guy that won national player of the year.

Cassius Winston IMO is the best PG in college basketball even if he isn’t an nba talent.
Brunson only played three years, two rings and a top player prize tho..

======

Winston will do all the right things, but I'd still take Cole Anthony.

======

Cole Anthony May very well be my pick by the end of the year, but I need a bigger sample size against good competition before I pick him over Cassius. I watched Cassius Winston beat a good UM team 3 times last year. There are too many games to count where he was magnificent.

As of now, I think Cole Anthony will average more points than Cassius Winston, but if you’re asking who I would rather have running my point in a championship game, I would go Cassius.

1. Cassius Winston, Michigan State
3. Markus Howard, Marquette
6. Cole Anthony, North Carolina
11. Devon Dotson, Kansas
12. Tre Jones, Duke
16. Nico Mannion, Arizona
17. Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
23. Andrew Nembhard, Florida
26. Zavier Simpson, Michigan
30. Anthony Cowan, Maryland
33. Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State
35. Jon Axel Gudmundsson, Davidson
40. Marcus Evans, VCU
43. Jared Butler, Baylor
45. Ashton Hagans, Kentucky
51. Payton Pritchard, Oregon
53. Kira Lewis, Alabama
62. JaQuan Lyle, New Mexico

I still like my preseason point guard rankings. I think it's reasonably accurate. A few of the guys were probably overvalued (i.e. Nembhard). At least I feel comfortable in saying Simpson > Hagans.

Reactions: Sparty_0n

======

Two rings a a top player prize and still wasn’t drafted in the first round. Sometimes elite NCAA college players don’t have the size and/or athleticism the NBA covets.

Cassius just had an 11 point game against a cupcake where we tried to get others going so that’s going to bring him down.

I value conference stats far higher than these nice game against cupcakes that some of these PG’s are having.

And he still doesn't have the lowest scoring average, while having the most assists per game of the 4

Kenpom NCSOS as of today:

KU 99
MSU 106
Duke 206
UNC: 324

And he still doesn't have the lowest scoring average, while having the most assists per game of the 4

Kenpom NCSOS as of today:

KU 99
MSU 106
Duke 206
UNC: 324
MSU is being severely brought down by the fact that w shave played 2 300+ teams. Playing at Seton Hall and Kentucky is pretty good.

Reactions: Sparty_0n
100%- Langford was suppose to be the main guy picking up the ppg lost by Ward, Mcquiad and Goins not on the team anymore...

Those were huge losses. Don't think we or the pundits took it into account. I think we all thought Tillman would take a big leap along with Ahrens and Henry. Though Henry has been hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT