ADVERTISEMENT

Official Who is the best PG in the nation watch thread

Not one single person would take Simpson over Hagans this season. Simpson was so good, he averaged 8 points a game as a junior and lead Michigan to the Sweet Sixteen. Stop

Also, I'm not sure if you are just trying to troll or not, but Michigan played in the National Championship game in 2017/18. Zavier Simpson's defense on that run was Godly. The Sweet 16 comment is really weird.

Reactions: KisteK
@dukedevilz rankings:
Simpson #26 overall
Hagans #45 overall

Three Man Weave top 100 players
Simpson #25 overall
Hagans #59 overall

They're similar players, but I'd still give the edge to Simpson. Here's how my rankings look for point guards in my top 100:

1. Cassius Winston, Michigan State
3. Markus Howard, Marquette
6. Cole Anthony, North Carolina
11. Devon Dotson, Kansas
12. Tre Jones, Duke
16. Nico Mannion, Arizona
17. Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
23. Andrew Nembhard, Florida
26. Zavier Simpson, Michigan
30. Anthony Cowan, Maryland
33. Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State
35. Jon Axel Gudmundsson, Davidson
40. Marcus Evans, VCU
43. Jared Butler, Baylor
45. Ashton Hagans, Kentucky
51. Payton Pritchard, Oregon
53. Kira Lewis, Alabama
62. JaQuan Lyle, New Mexico
67. KJ Feagin, San Diego State
71. Markell Johnson, NC State
76. Grant Riller, Charleston
81. Xavier Johnson, Pittsburgh
86. Nojoel Eastern, Purdue
88. Collin Gillespie, Villanova
89. Trent Forrest, Florida State
92. Matt Coleman, Texas
99. AJ Harris, New Mexico State

Not sure how you could argue anyone but Cassius Winston at this point. I think Cole Anthony could be a special player. And Markus Howard might average 30 points a game, but Winston is still the best player, IMO.

Here are guys in my top 100 that are sort of point-guardish, but are probably better labeled as combo guards:

15. Antoine Davis, Detroit
22. Jordan Ford, Saint Mary's
27. Bryce Aiken, Harvard
38. Breein Tyree, Ole Miss
49. Kamar Baldwin, Butler
66. Dejon Jarreau, Houston
97. Paul Scruggs, Xavier

Devon Dotson 17 pts 2 rebs 1 ast (bad)
Tre Jones 15 pts, 6 rebs 7 ast
Cassius Winston 21 pts 1 reb 4 ast
Hagans 11 pts 2 reb 3 ast

Reactions: tw3301
You can't judge Hagans by simply looking at stats. There are two other guys running point for UK this year (3 total).
You have to use the eye test and see how they play. Quickly plays the 2 most of the time, but he does still play some of the 1.
UK has three pro's in its back court right now and after last night, you might want to put Maxey on the list.

Just want to let everyone know that if my point guard's stats don't pass the sniff-test, you'll also need to include the eye-test. If his stats are impressive, however, then stats alone will suffice. Duke needs all the favorable light we can receive, because we clearly do not receive enough attention. TIA.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Cal has stated that at some point this season, he wants to turn the reigns over to Maxey. After the way Maxey finished the game at point, it probably won't be that far off.

Anyone else drop 34 points, add 11 boards, and dish out some assists this season? No? Looks like this horse wants to run from the front. He's going to be so much fun to watch.
I don't get the ACCN, so I didn't get to watch it. My ESPN app just sat there with the spinning wheel too, so all I could do was watch the score. It loked like ND gave you guys a game.
How did CA look?

Anyone else drop 34 points, add 11 boards, and dish out some assists this season? No? Looks like this horse wants to run from the front. He's going to be so much fun to watch.

Not quite the same stats, but I'd say Lindsey Drew of Nevada was a little more efficient.

Lindsey Drew, Nevada: 30 points (12-19 fg), 6 rebounds, 8 assists, 0 turnovers

Reactions: 829305
I don't get the ACCN, so I didn't get to watch it. My ESPN app just sat there with the spinning wheel too, so all I could do was watch the score. It loked like ND gave you guys a game.
How did CA look?
He's gonna be up there with Phil, Kenny, and Ty when it's all said and done, if he's anything like last night the rest of the way.

Reactions: kyjeff1
3fkmyp.jpg

All I know is after 1 game each, I wanna see Maxey vs Anthony in March. Both looked like studs. Anthony will more than likely have a better statistical season. I want to see that matchup though.

All I know is after 1 game each, I wanna see Maxey vs Anthony in March. Both looked like studs. Anthony will more than likely have a better statistical season. I want to see that matchup though.
If that game happened, Anthony would get checked by Hagans, who would UNC put on Maxey? I don't know much about their roster, but I'm sure they have a defensive minded guard.

If that game happened, Anthony would get checked by Hagans, who would UNC put on Maxey? I don't know much about their roster, but I'm sure they have a defensive minded guard.
You can still put Anthony on Maxey, no? Of course, Anthony better have a hell of a motor if he's going to have to work both ends like that.

I’m sorry, but I‘m not ready to crown these Freshman as better than a returning All American just yet after a single game. They had really nice games, and I think they are both very exciting, but over the course of the season, I like what Cash will bring me game in and game out.

My opinion could change over the course of the season though.

You can still put Anthony on Maxey, no? Of course, Anthony better have a hell of a motor if he's going to have to work both ends like that.
He definitely could, but you would hate to have him chasing Maxey around all game + try to do his thing on offense. I noticed Winston wore down some trying to do that.
Who else does UNC have in their back court?

I’m sorry, but I‘m not ready to crown these Freshman as better than a returning All American just yet after a single game. They had really nice games, and I think they are both very exciting, but over the course of the season, I like what Cash will bring me game in and game out.

My opinion could change over the course of the season though.
I don't disagree with you, but there's a reason why Cassius is still in college as a senior and all these other kids are moving on as lottery picks.
Anthony and Maxey are pro's. They have the size and athletesism, coupled with some serious talent out of the box.
Guys with all that going for them usually show out more than just one time.
I would love to have a guy like Winston, but his size and athleticism can't match the other two guys.

I don't disagree with you, but there's a reason why Cassius is still in college as a senior and all these other kids are moving on as lottery picks.
Anthony and Maxey are pro's. They have the size and athletesism, coupled with some serious talent out of the box.
Guys with all that going for them usually show out more than just one time.
I would love to have a guy like Winston, but his size and athleticism can't match the other two guys.

Sometimes it’s not about size and athleticism.

Kaminsky was a 4 year guy that won national player of the year.
Jalen Brunson was a 4 year guy that won national player of the year.

Cassius Winston IMO is the best PG in college basketball even if he isn’t an nba talent.

Reactions: UL_1986 and MGC_07

Not quite the same stats, but I'd say Lindsey Drew of Nevada was a little more efficient.

Lindsey Drew, Nevada: 30 points (12-19 fg), 6 rebounds, 8 assists, 0 turnovers

That’s pretty impressive. Good opponent as well.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Cassius Winston IMO is the best PG in college basketball even if he isn’t an nba talent.

And that's totally fair, imo. Hansbrough might have been the best player in college basketball for a year and sucked as a pro. I'm not sure I've seen a better college player than Laettner, but as a pro? Meh.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
He definitely could, but you would hate to have him chasing Maxey around all game + try to do his thing on offense. I noticed Winston wore down some trying to do that.
Who else does UNC have in their back court?

I don’t think conditioning would be a huge deal. He is a good defender and I think Roy said is the best conditioned player he has ever had. The biggest issue will be with everyone else. UNC will struggle to match up at the wing with UK. UK is the better team right now for sure.

And that's totally fair, imo. Hansbrough might have been the best player in college basketball for a year and sucked as a pro. I'm not sure I've seen a better college player than Laettner, but as a pro? Meh.
when I read his post I immediately thought of Hansbrough. dude was a stud in college.

Reactions: 829305
I don’t think conditioning would be a huge deal. He is a good defender and I think Roy said is the best conditioned player he has ever had. The biggest issue will be with everyone else. UNC will struggle to match up at the wing with UK. UK is the better team right now for sure.

If that's true (and I hope it is), play him 35 minutes a night.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I wouldn't go that far. it's early, but outside of our guards, I'm not impressed. Sestina is better than I thought he'd be and Richards is actually becoming solid (not f'n up with is stone hands as much). But IDK man, I was pretty impressed with UNC last night.

He is fun to watch; he looked great. But in all fairness, nobody else shot 24 times. I understand why he did, because it looked like he HAD to in order to win. But there's no denying he's a stud.

He is fun to watch; he looked great. But in all fairness, nobody else shot 24 times. I understand why he did, because it looked like he HAD to in order to win. But there's no denying he's a stud.
No doubt he’s gonna have the greenest of green lights, and no doubt that’s because he’s the only true scorer we have. Saying that, I hope he shoots 30+ next game. ;)

Reactions: RipThru
Yeah, I'm not used to seeing UNC rated so low to start the season.
Usually UNC is top 5 and with a dude like Anthony in your backcourt, that must mean there is a hole or two somewhere.
But, we've seen teams go a long way in the tournament because one guy can't be stopped. Both of UConn's recent titles happened because they had 1 guy that shredded everyone. It sounds like CA has the ability to take over games just like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT