Gold Member
May 2, 2008
Cassius Winston
Devon Dotson
Tre Jones
Ashton Hagans
Cole Anthony
Markus Howard

4 play tonight. Who do you think will be the best?

Hagans is the best defender. He puts up good assist numbers as well. Not the scorer the others are.

Cassius. For his size, he controls the game and turns MSU into a title contender.
Leave him open from the outside and you might as well count it.
The game slowed down for him last year. He was a bit erratic his sophomore year, but it clicked for him last year.
I'm interested to see how Tre Jones does without the tremendous star power that surrounded him last year, heck, I would have looked all world with those three studs in front of me.

I thought Jones was a liability on defense last year b/c he got beat so often b/c he gambled. But the last few games I tuned in he absolutely was a menace defensively. We will see if that was b/c he had so much help defense last year or he really is a good defender.

Cassius. For his size, he controls the game and turns MSU into a title contender.
Leave him open from the outside and you might as well count it.
The game slowed down for him last year. He was a bit erratic his sophomore year, but it clicked for him last year.
I'm interested to see how Tre Jones does without the tremendous star power that surrounded him last year, heck, I would have looked all world with those three studs in front of me.

They say you're biggest jump is from your freshmen to sophomore season. I think this is very more true with former 5 star players who have talent and season 2 , because the game slows down so much. So here is to season how Hagans, Dotson and Jones look.

Reactions: kyjeff1
It’s Cassius Winston.

The guy made Matt McQuaid and Kenny Goins look like Ray Allen and Kevin Love with his ability to dissect a defense and create for others.

Reactions: MGC_07
It’s Cassius Winston regardless of how anyone plus tonight. A night shouldn’t swing anyone’s opinion.

Winston is the best going into the season.

But at times he can shoot his team out of the game if you body him up with length.
Tech made it rough on him in the Final 4 last year
We shall see, he's going to see three long defenders tonight.

Without Langford it is much easier.

I haven't seen Winston yet this year but at times you can out play him physically.
I don't know if Kentucky's young guards like Maxey are ready for that.
It would only be Maxey for short periods of time, it will be mostly Hagans and Quickly. Then Winston has to guard one of them on the other end.
Maxey might be a freshman, but he's quick and athletic as hell.
UK matches up well with MSU (I thought they matched up well with Duke last year too… yuck), but MSU has the trump card, which is experience all over the court, that will cancel out a lot of the advantages UK might have.

Hagans plays for a contender and is better. Pretty simple
Nah. I’m an MSU fan, but Zavier Simpson was better than Ashton Hagans last year. Defensively it’s a wash, both elite. Simpson but up better stats last year on a top 10 UM team.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Not one single person would take Simpson over Hagans this season. Simpson was so good, he averaged 8 points a game as a junior and lead Michigan to the Sweet Sixteen. Stop

I disagree with leading how far they got to the tourney as a measurement who is better imo- that's like saying Moretti from TTU is better than Hagans since he lead his team to the title game...

Not one single person would take Simpson over Hagans this season. Simpson was so good, he averaged 8 points a game as a junior and lead Michigan to the Sweet Sixteen. Stop
He averaged more points, rebounds, and assists on comparable teams, but UM played a lot slower pace than UK.

Edit: he also shot better from 3 and had less turnovers.

He is also three years older. Who makes the bigger jump between last season and this one? Who would you take this season?
Ok yes, I agree. You can project Hagans to take a bigger jump than Simpson, and I wouldn’t argue with you. But last year Simpson was better.

Ok yes, I agree. You can project Hagans to take a bigger jump than Simpson, and I wouldn’t argue with you. But last year Simpson was better.
Just to be clear, you’re taking Hagans this season then? This whole thing started because hail asked about THIS year. Not last year

Reactions: kyjeff1
Yeah Jimbo has a great point with Simpson being 3 years older than Hagan, so Hagan has more room to grow...

Reactions: JimboBBN
The debate is why is Hagans on this list this season and Simpson not. I’m not talking about last year. For all I know that guy could have been better last season but I don’t know much about him

If Simpson played for uk and Hagans was at Michigan y’all would be having the same argument just switching the names. Both are good players.

I’m taking cole Anthony as the best pg this year. Hard to go against Winston but Anthony’s ability to score in bunches puts him on top imo.

Reactions: KisteK
If Simpson played for uk and Hagans was at Michigan y’all would be having the same argument just switching the names. Both are good players.

I’m taking cole Anthony as the best pg this year. Hard to go against Winston but Anthony’s ability to score in bunches puts him on top imo.
I think Anthony is very good, but are you really going to take a Freshman over a first team All American last year?

@dukedevilz rankings:
Simpson #26 overall
Hagans #45 overall

Three Man Weave top 100 players
Simpson #25 overall
Hagans #59 overall

My argument isn't even that Simpson is better than Hagans. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I think it's weird to act like Hagans is in a complete higher tier than Simpson, though.

The debate is why is Hagans on this list this season and Simpson not. I’m not talking about last year. For all I know that guy could have been better last season but I don’t know much about him

You don't know much about him and yet here you are insisting he doesn't belong in the same tier? Dude.

You don't know much about him and yet here you are insisting he doesn't belong in the same tier? Dude.
I must have quoted the wrong person. I don’t know much about the Texas Tech guard that other poster brought up. I also didn’t say they don’t belong in the same tier. I just think Hagans is better.

I must have quoted the wrong person. I don’t know much about the Texas Tech guard that other poster brought up. I also didn’t say they don’t belong in the same tier. I just think Hagans is better.

My question was why is Hagans on this list but not Simpson? IMO they are in the same tier.

ADVERTISEMENT