ADVERTISEMENT

Official Who is the best PG in the nation watch thread

Just in the Big XII alone, Haliburton, Likele, Dotson, and Butler all have higher efficiency numbers than Coleman. I'll give MC credit for developing into a really solid shooter. He was a very below average shooter coming out of high school. I want to say he shot at or near 20% from 3 in the EYBL games.

I have an issue with the stats because they think all stats are equal.
Stats are only as good as the data you use in basketball. They still need to work on it.

Just in the Big XII alone, Haliburton, Likele, Dotson, and Butler all have higher efficiency numbers than Coleman. I'll give MC credit for developing into a really solid shooter. He was a very below average shooter coming out of high school. I want to say he shot at or near 20% from 3 in the EYBL games.

Also in the Big 12 we have Clarke who is our PG basically. Not much of a scorer but fills up the stat sheet in other ways. He's our leading rebounder.

Went 7 PTS 12 REB 6 AST vs Louisville tonight.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Those are basically frank Mason POY stats. He just hasn’t had “the game” moment yet against a top team.

Hagans

Untitled.png

Lol but Anthony Cowan made the Wooden list of 20 best in America

All of those point guards were on the Wooden list, except for Jared Butler and McKinley Wright. Butler is arguably the best player on the best team. And Wright is playing really well. I think it's a fair top 10.

All of those point guards were on the Wooden list, except for Jared Butler and McKinley Wright. Butler is arguably the best player on the best team. And Wright is playing really well. I think it's a fair top 10.
There are not 10 pg better then Ant Cowan. Top 10 may be fair but it’s not correct.
Again the hypocrisy is right there. Listed in top 20 players in the country but not listed top 10 pg.
doesn’t really matter as not like he has a chance to win anything. Just thought it was kind of glaring to add to one list and omit from the other

There are not 10 pg better then Ant Cowan. Top 10 may be fair but it’s not correct.
Again the hypocrisy is right there. Listed in top 20 players in the country but not listed top 10 pg.
doesn’t really matter as not like he has a chance to win anything. Just thought it was kind of glaring to add to one list and omit from the other

Cowan is worse than he was last year. No one is going to reward that.

Guy isn't even shooting 40% from the field. No one else on that list has a FG% that starts with the number 3.

He isn't better than anyone on that list.

The Wooden Award Midseason watchlist was actually for the top 25. And that was a month ago. Jared Butler and Baylor have obviously elevated their game. He deserves to be on there more so than Cowan. Also, Zavier Simpson was on the top 25 list. And he failed to be one of the 10 finalists for the Cousy Award.

Lots of good point guards didn't make the list. Maybe if Cowan shot better than 36% from the field and 27% from 3 in conference play he would still be on there.

Ashton had been playing so damn well, but he really shit the bed against Auburn. The worst game I've seen him play all year, by far. I think he will get back on track, but that was a major bump in his running for best PG

Ashton had been playing so damn well, but he really shit the bed against Auburn. The worst game I've seen him play all year, by far. I think he will get back on track, but that was a major bump in his running for best PG
After taking a look at his resume, the best thing he can do in order to get back in the running is to get back to playing bad teams. No worries on that though, Kentucky has a pretty easy schedule from here on out so it looks like you might have a chance to bring up Hagans once again in this thread before the season is over.

After taking a look at his resume, the best thing he can do in order to get back in the running is to get back to playing bad teams. No worries on that though, Kentucky has a pretty easy schedule from here on out so it looks like you might have a chance to bring up Hagans once again in this thread before the season is over.
He has just as much right to be mentioned in this thread as half the guys on that list

He has just as much right to be mentioned in this thread as half the guys on that list

He's an elite point guard. Don't think he was ever seriously in the running, though.

Of the 10 guys listed, Hagans has the 9th highest player efficiency rating. And if you're looking at who's on the best team, of the 10 point guards on here, only Iowa State is ranked below Kentucky by KenPom. So yeah, Hagans has no shot at winning this award.

He's an elite point guard. Don't think he was ever seriously in the running, though.

Of the 10 guys listed, Hagans has the 9th highest player efficiency rating. And if you're looking at who's on the best team, of the 10 point guards on here, only Iowa State is ranked below Kentucky by KenPom. So yeah, Hagans has no shot at winning this award.
Give me a break. Kentucky is better than at least 4 of those teams. Forget Kenpom, have you watched these teams play? Hell, he's 1 and 0 against the names on that list. Like I said, he had a beyond awful game last Saturday, but before that he was playing as good as anyone.

Hagans is probably the best defensive player I've seen this year. I think there are several better all-around PGs though.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Give me a break. Kentucky is better than at least 4 of those teams. Forget Kenpom, have you watched these teams play? Hell, he's 1 and 0 against the names on that list. Like I said, he had a beyond awful game last Saturday, but before that he was playing as good as anyone.

At least 4?

Hagans is probably the best defensive player I've seen this year. I think there are several better all-around PGs though.
I agree.

Hagans gambles on passes, so his turnovers are too high. Also he is not a good shot from range.

He is tall and will make it in the pros but I doubt that he is the best point guard in the nation.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
The Wooden Award Midseason watchlist was actually for the top 25. And that was a month ago. Jared Butler and Baylor have obviously elevated their game. He deserves to be on there more so than Cowan. Also, Zavier Simpson was on the top 25 list. And he failed to be one of the 10 finalists for the Cousy Award.

Lots of good point guards didn't make the list. Maybe if Cowan shot better than 36% from the field and 27% from 3 in conference play he would still be on there.

Actually you are incorrect, the Wooden list for late season (the finalists) came out yesterday. It included Cowan as a finalist (along w Stix).
https://www.woodenaward.com/john_r_...s_2019_20_men_s_late_season_top_20_watch_list
Agree his shooting has hindered him but it’s better as of late and has been an AA the last few weeks and named B1G pow last week and has lead the Terps back to the top 10. As you say, he too has elevated his game.
Again, doesn’t really matter.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Whoa. How the hell is Kentucky 37th on KenPom? They’re also 6th in the SEC.

Crazy.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Definitely better than Colorado, Iowa State, Marquette.

Probably better than Oregon, and Michigan State.

At this point the other four are probably better.

Have you seen Colorado play this year?

Whoa. How the hell is Kentucky 37th on KenPom? They’re also 6th in the SEC.

Crazy.

They're also 30th in the BPI, 27th in the Net Rankings, and 35th by Torvik. They're a decent team, but a little overvalued, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT