ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean at least Trojan will have competition for worst takes with these types of posts.

Maybe sit a couple plays out, bud.
Conference records since Underwood joined the conference

Archie Miller: 35-43
Brad Underwood: 40-38
Fran Mccafrey: 39-39
Chris Holtmann: 46-32
Juwan Howard: 24-13
Mark Turgeon: 44-34

Reactions: KisteK
I mean at least Trojan will have competition for worst takes with these types of posts.
Maybe sit a couple plays out, bud.

giphy.gif

Do you share this account with somebody else?

From my research, the only time Brad Underwood was ever a good coach or had a single good performance is when he had both Kofi Cockburn and Ayo Dosunmu on the roster. Every other season, he was average to bad. He had one top 25 season without them, but has still yet to see the Sweet 16. Had only one other top 25 team without them, in which he lost round 1 in the tournament with a really bad defensive team(which he seems to always have).

You just argued for multiple pages about a guy, who is ranked 6th, is overrated because you have him between 10-15 in your rankings. And you want this other guy to “sit out a couple plays.”

El Oh El
I mean 6 to 10-15 is overrated.

His 2 points were that Woodson is a better Coach than Undy and that our rosters are a draw.

That’s pretty bad man. But he’s new so whatever

Can we shut the fvck up about Houstan. No one cares, and you haven’t put it together that he’s toying with you. You clearly haven’t done a deep dive on Hail.

Recruiting rankings and draft position are essentially unrelated. The end.

Last edited:
Can we shut the fvck up about Houstan. No one cares, and you haven’t put it together that he’s toying with you. You clearly haven’t done a deep dive on Hail.

Recruiting rankings and draft position are essentially unrelated. The end.
He also just hasn’t played a single minute and we’re projecting where he is going to be drafted like a year out. It’s going to fluctuate. It’s a dumb argument to begin with but it’s not like we actually know where he’s going to be drafted in the first place.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Well, you fvcks are on Hawkeyereport weekly sooo. I think you know plenty about your second favorite team.
I haven’t been over there in awhile. More women’s hoop talk than men’s. Ghey.

Conference records since Underwood joined the conference

Archie Miller: 35-43
Brad Underwood: 40-38
Fran Mccafrey: 39-39
Chris Holtmann: 46-32
Juwan Howard: 24-13
Mark Turgeon: 44-34
You are either intentionally obtuse or a mental midget . Underwood took over the biggest rebuild job of those programs. Howard took over a program on cruise control….Holtman much less so. Underwood is 32-11 in big ten games the last two years….

You are either intentionally obtuse or a mental midget . Underwood took over the biggest rebuild job of those programs. Howard took over a program on cruise control….Holtman much less so. Underwood is 32-11 in big ten games the last two years….

Thank you for adding what you feel is necessary context but the data just isn't impressive to me.

Underwoods final Kenpom rank:

2021: 4th, round of 32 loss as a 1 seed
2020: 30th, no tournament held,
2019: 84th, missed tournament
2018: 102nd, missed tournament
2017 at Oklahoma State: 22nd lost in 1st round as a 10 seed

Yeah those aren't very impressive. Last year was good until it wasn't, he got a third year out of a 5 star Ayo Dosunmu aligning also with a 2nd year out of Kofi Cockburn and turned that into a round of 32 loss. 5 years in as a power five coach and still has not made it past the 2nd round of the tournament. I see Underwood and Fran Mccafrey as similar coaches. Terrible defenses and/or guaranteed early tournament exits have really defined both of their tenures so far. Both seem on the Tom Crean trajectory if they can't figure out how to consistently coach defense.

Thank you for adding what you feel is necessary context but the data just isn't impressive to me.

Yeah those aren't very impressive. Last year was good until it wasn't, he got a third year out of a 5 star Ayo Dosunmu aligning also with a 2nd year out of Kofi Cockburn and turned that into a round of 32 loss. 5 years in as a power five coach and still has not made it past the 2nd round of the tournament. I see Underwood and Fran Mccafrey as similar coaches. Terrible defenses and/or guaranteed early tournament exits have really defined both of their tenures so far. Both seem on the Tom Crean trajectory if they can't figure out how to consistently coach defense.
3 top 30 teams in 5 years including two separate rebuilds is unimpressive?

On cruise control so much most people has us out of the top 25 going into last season.

Here are the current conference coaches who made it past the 2nd round in the first 5 years of being a power 5 coach:

Juwan Howard, Tom Izzo, Matt Painter, Greg Gard, Chris Holtmann, Fred Hoiberg,

That leaves the smaller group who didn't accomplish this:

Fran Mccafrey, Brad Underwood, Mark Turgeon, Chris Collins, Steve Pikiell

Three new coaches who don't have any data: Ben Johnson, Micah Shrewsbury, Mike Woodson

This is actually a really good stat at splitting up the good coaches into one group and the rest in the other group.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Tre Holloman to MSU. Good pickup. He’s a crafty playmaker and finisher. Makes some real highlight reel passes and has long arms for the position. Probably needs a better jumper but it’s coming along and will benefit from being in a college weight room.

On cruise control so much most people has us out of the top 25 going into last season.
This is what people would say is classic rationalizing….clearly that was because he underachieved his first year. There was plenty of talent, depth and experience on last years team..

Here are the current conference coaches who made it past the 2nd round in the first 5 years of being a power 5 coach:

Juwan Howard, Tom Izzo, Matt Painter, Greg Gard, Chris Holtmann, Fred Hoiberg,

That leaves the smaller group who didn't accomplish this:

Fran Mccafrey, Brad Underwood, Mark Turgeon, Chris Collins, Steve Pikiell

Three new coaches who don't have any data: Ben Johnson, Micah Shrewsbury, Mike Woodson

This is actually a really good stat at splitting up the good coaches into one group and the rest in the other group.
It is a simpletons way of looking at things not taking into account what Program each coach inherited

This is what people would say is classic rationalizing….clearly that was because he underachieved his first year. There was plenty of talent, depth and experience on last years team..

Underachieved his first year? Michigan was a top 15 team when Livers went down and missed 6 weeks. Still finished around top 15 in the metrics. Michigan was projected to be a bubble team with Livers but still ended up as a 6 seed by bracket matrix despite Livers losing 6 weeks. That’s not a coach underachieving.

Last edited:
Underachieved his first year? Michigan was a top 15 team when Livers went down and missed 6 weeks. Still finished around top 15 in the metrics. Michigan was projected to be a bubble team with Livers but still ended up as a 6 seed by bracket matrix despite Livers losing 6 weeks. That’s not a coach underachieving.
Did you see what Underwood did when he lost a first team all American? Stop making excuses…he had a less than stellar first year…

Did you see what Underwood did when he lost a first team all American? Stop making excuses…he had a less than stellar first year…

Even without the Livers excuse he still outperformed expectations based on metrics and projected tournament seeding. Taking a team that was projected to be on the bubble to a projected 6 seed is not under achieving.

But it’s silly to dismiss Michigan losing their leading scorer for 6 weeks.

I joke around on here a lot but my wife made a comment today about missing my grandpa that passed away this last spring. It then hit me hard today not being able to talk to him about the upcoming Purdue football season after the first official practice was yesterday.

Enjoy the little aspects of things like that, never know when they’ll go away.

I joke around on here a lot but my wife made a comment today about missing my grandpa that passed away this last spring. It then hit me hard today not being able to talk to him about the upcoming Purdue football season after the first official practice was yesterday.

Enjoy the little aspects of things like that, never know when they’ll go away.

Sorry again man. Never easy to lose a grandparent (or anyone close to you of course). Hopefully he’ll help us have a solid football season this year!

Reactions: MGC_07 and otte21
Sorry again man. Never easy to lose a grandparent (or anyone close to you of course). Hopefully he’ll help us have a solid football season this year!
I appreciate it man. Even if Purdue sucks, gonna miss complaining about Purdue sucking to him lol. I just appreciate the fact of how close I was to him, wouldn’t want it any other way.

I pointed that comparison out a while ago but they don't want to listen. The rd of 32 loss is glaring, but they want to ignore it. Then you have every single assistant leaving, they want to ignore that too. I remember being optimistic with Crean, but these little moments can tell you a lot and it's something people will point to when things go bad. Remember when he lost in the rd of 32 as a 1 seed and all 3 assistants left? We should have known.

Reactions: KisteK and Ingersol
Even without the Livers excuse he still outperformed expectations based on metrics and projected tournament seeding. Taking a team that was projected to be on the bubble to a projected 6 seed is not under achieving.

But it’s silly to dismiss Michigan losing their leading scorer for 6 weeks.
let’s see, Howard gets a excuse for losing Livers for 6 weeks after inheriting a top 10 program but other coaches are judged by their first few years of taking on massive rebuilds..….

let’s see, Howard gets a excuse for losing Livers for 6 weeks after inheriting a top 10 program but other coaches are judged by their first few years of taking on massive rebuilds..….

Fact: Michigan lost Iggy Brazdeikas, Charles Matthews, and Jordan Poole going into Howard's 1st season.

Fact: Michigan lost their leading scorer in-season, Isaiah Livers (6 weeks).

Fact: Michigan still out performed their preseason rankings.

Somehow you consider this "under achieving".

Reactions: RichardMassive
Fact: Michigan lost Iggy Brazdeikas, Charles Matthews, and Jordan Poole going into Howard's 1st season.

Fact: Michigan lost their leading scorer in-season, Isaiah Livers (6 weeks).

Fact: Michigan still out performed their preseason rankings.

Somehow you consider this "under achieving".
Fact: Michigan finished 9 th in the big ten standings
Fact: You seem to use rationalizations for Howard that apparently don’t apply to other coaches.

Fact: Michigan finished 9 th in the big ten standings
Fact: You seem to use rationalizations for Howard that apparently don’t apply to other coaches.

Preseason seed projection: 9th
End of season seed projection: 6th

Preseason rank by ESPN: 43rd
Preseason rank by SI: 33rd
End of season rank by Kenpom: 16
End of season rank by Torvik: 14

Somehow you call that underachieving in his first season.

Reactions: GOO_HAM
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT