ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So now you think Purdue has two 1st teamers? Lol well I guess we shouldn’t challenge your unmatched eye for talent… lmao.
TJD or Williams could go either way. Could see Williams slipping to 2nd team because of increased production from Ivey. But still a better player than TJD.

yup just Purdue fans lol. Kid is going to make the FIBA U19 team. And is projected as high as #14 next year by Schmitz and Givony. Why do you let your hatred for Purdue blind you from the obvious? Anyone with a set of eyes can see this kid is primed for a breakout sophomore year.

I'll also take an All-American bet on Hunter Dickinson if he returns vs Jaden Ivey.

Reactions: KisteK
TJD or Williams could go either way. Could see Williams slipping to 2nd team because of increased production from Ivey. But still a better player than TJD.
Lol absolutely insane.

Still waiting on your ban bet terms for Ivey making first team.

Yup it isn't shocking to see a player or two have a bigger season than expected especially with how much roster movement there has been this offseason.
Yup. As you said, there are a lot of talented players joining the league both as freshmen and as transfers.

One of the guys you quoted about Ivey thinks TJD is his main competition for Big Ten Player of the Year. What a conundrum that puts you in when it comes to determining his credibility.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Love how people take the word surprised and replace it with shocked. They have distinctly different connotations.

I stand by my personal opinion. Ivey struggled mightily early last year coming off an injury. Once he was fully recovered, he played at an all Big Ten level Last season.

Duane Washington, Ron Harper, Eric Ayala, Aaron Wiggins….

It’s one thing to say you wouldn’t be surprised if Ivey made the 1st team. It’s completely different to say you would be SHOCKED if he didn’t.
lol Harper wasn’t even good for the last 20 games last year.

Love how people take the word surprised and replace it with shocked. They have distinctly different connotations.

I stand by my personal opinion. Ivey struggled mightily early last year coming off an injury. Once he was fully recovered, he played at an all Big Ten level Last season.
Shocked and surprised are synonyms so....

Who typically improves more from one year to another? A true freshman or a junior?

You are reaching again Hail. It’s an opinion.

Of course freshman. But he said Harper wasn’t very good over the last 20 games. Does that mean Ivey wasn’t either?

Who had better conference numbers between Harper and Ivey?
No idea. Don’t care to look. If you used your eyes, Ivey took awhile to settle in as a freshman while Harper was an upperclassmen who was pretty bad the last half of the year. Ivey is 100/100 the better player and will prove that this year.

No idea. Don’t care to look. If you used your eyes, Ivey took awhile to settle in as a freshman while Harper was an upperclassmen who was pretty bad the last half of the year. Ivey is 100/100 the better player and will prove that this year.

I agree that Ivey should be better but if Harper was pretty bad over the last 20 games then so was Ivey.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I'm shocked that someone would be surprised if a sophomore who wasn't even an honorable mention was left off the 1st team all B1G.

@boilerzz are those connotations correct?

Haha look at the stir I created.

I think Ivey will most likely be on the Preseason 1st Team. But, as several of you have mentioned, you might have 3 bigs on there. IMO, Ivey has the highest ceiling of all the guards in the Big Ten. Obviously he could shoot the ball at a better clip. Would also like to see him rebound at a higher rate, especially for an athlete of his caliber. You gotta like his numbers for the last 6 games of the season.

18.2 ppg
3.3 reb
1.7 ast
1.3 stl
1.7 blk
46.8% fg
59.0% 2-pt
35.0% 3-pt (14 for 40)
84.0% ft

I believe the B1G only releases a list of 10 players for pre-season All B1G. Does anyone truly believe Ivey won't be on that list?

If so, would they like to make an avatar bet on that?

I believe the B1G only releases a list of 10 players for pre-season All B1G. Does anyone truly believe Ivey won't be on that list?

If so, would they like to make an avatar bet on that?
I’m not sure anyone said he won’t be preseason. It’s the 5 man postseason and off-season optimism that has Hail and his IU puppies up in arms.

I’m not sure anyone said he won’t be preseason. It’s the 5 man postseason and off-season optimism that has Hail and his IU puppies up in arms.
My point is that if the media puts him on a 10 man pre-season All B1G team, you stating you'd be surprised if he's not first team is a pretty mild take to get up in arms over.

But I get that the off-season is the best time of year for IU fans.

My point is that if the media puts him on a 10 man pre-season All B1G team, you stating you'd be surprised if he's not first team is a pretty mild take to get up in arms over.

I’m surprised they’re not discussing CJ Gunn’s performance last night at the All-star game tbh.

I’m surprised they’re not discussing CJ Gunn’s performance last night at the All-star game tbh.
We can start discussing that when Purdue fans start discussing Braden Smith’s performance.

BTW, I’m not big on CJ Gunn. He got a well deserved drop in the rankings after his high school season and spring play. I wouldn’t be mad if he de-committed.

We can start discussing that when Purdue fans start discussing Braden Smith’s performance.

BTW, I’m not big on CJ Gunn. He got a well deserved drop in the rankings after his high school season and spring play. I wouldn’t be mad if he de-committed.

Just trying to stir the pot. Yeah I don’t think Gunn is anything special.

Smith went for 30+ against Leland Walker the other night which was cool to see.

I know you were just trying to get a rise, but taking much away from All Star games is always dumb.

For example the leading scorer in the game was a dude that I never really wanted at Purdue and am glad we missed on (or stopped recruiting entirely I believe?) in Wesley.

Just trying to stir the pot. Yeah I don’t think Gunn is anything special.

Smith went for 30+ against Leland Walker the other night which was cool to see.
Gunn, Smith, and Walker are all nothing special. There is only one player in 22’ from Indiana that fits that description. It’s a weak class.

No one is saying that Ivey won’t make the first team (let alone top 10 preseason), just that the conference has a lot of talent so it shouldn’t be surprising if he ends the season on the second team. Dickinson was a second team all American and still missed 1st team all conference (despite 4 other bigs making it). The Big Ten is deep.

Again none of us are saying they'd be surprised/shocked if he was 1st team, pre or post. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's not, this if there is only 5 players pre/post. There's a ton of good players returning, I'm not even sure if they go top 5 or try to make an actual team with a pg/sg. He still has to make a jump to make that 1st team considering he wasn't even an honorable mention last year.

No one is saying that Ivey won’t make the first team (let alone top 10 preseason), just that the conference has a lot of talent so it shouldn’t be surprising if he ends the season on the second team. Dickinson was a second team all American and still missed 1st team all conference (despite 4 other bigs making it). The Big Ten is deep.
The IU guys were acting like it was a huge homer comment to say that he'll be surprised if Ivey's not a first teamer. It's really not anything egregious at all considering (a) you're not confident enough to assert that Ivey won't be first team (b) he's going to be on the pre-season all B1G team (c) it's easy to find articles about his draft status next year or writer predictions about him being an All American (d) a Duke guy brought up his All American potential in this thread.

Just a pretty tame comment to get homer comments lobbed at him. A lot of people are very high on Ivey.

The IU guys were acting like it was a huge homer comment to say that he'll be surprised if Ivey's not a first teamer. It's really not anything egregious at all considering (a) you're not confident enough to assert that Ivey won't be first team (b) he's going to be on the pre-season all B1G team (c) it's easy to find articles about his draft status next year or writer predictions about him being an All American (d) a Duke guy brought up his All American potential in this thread.

Just a pretty tame comment to get homer comments lobbed at him. A lot of people are very high on Ivey.
I called this shit back in January. Wish we still had the in season thread.

Again none of us are saying they'd be surprised/shocked if he was 1st team, pre or post. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's not, this if there is only 5 players pre/post. There's a ton of good players returning, I'm not even sure if they go top 5 or try to make an actual team with a pg/sg. He still has to make a jump to make that 1st team considering he wasn't even an honorable mention last year.
They just put the best players regardless of position.

And huge off-season jumps happen all the time, particularly for talented freshmen becoming sophomores. Go look at guys like Jalen Smith, Carsen Edwards, EJ Liddell, etc. etc. etc.

I called this shit back in January. Wish we still had the in season thread.

What type of odds are you giving me to bet against something you think would be a shock if it didn’t happen?

I’m also down to just do a Dickinson vs Ivey All American bet if he returns (since the guy you cited left Big Dickinson off).

A lot of people can be very high on someone and he can be really good and still miss first team. Again, Hunter Dickinson missed first team all conference while making 2nd team all American.

Reactions: IUBtown
A lot of people can be very high on someone and he can be really good and still miss first team. Again, Hunter Dickinson missed first team all conference while making 2nd team all American.
Correct.

But you guys are trying really hard to thread the needle here. All of these arguments are essentially tacit admissions that ZZ's comment was not homer stuff at all.

Correct.

But you guys are trying really hard to thread the needle here. All of these arguments are essentially tacit admissions that ZZ's comment was not homer stuff at all.

I disagree with that conclusion. There’s a difference between saying “I think he’ll make 1st team” and “I’ll be surprised if he isn’t 1st team”. That’s all we are trying to point out.

I disagree with that conclusion. There’s a difference between saying “I think he’ll make 1st team” and “I’ll be surprised if he isn’t 1st team”. That’s all we are trying to point out.
Essentially the argument here is that that comment is considered homer stuff despite the fact that no one will definitely state that he won't be first team... and while a lot of media / non-Purdue folks are hyping Ivey.

You've been more mild in the "homer" talk than the IU guys, so in your case that's fine. They lobbed homer / homeboard / 😂 comments off the bat.

This isn't something like "there's been talk that player x has looked great over the summer" and someone making a crazy prediction based on that. This is a guy that finished the season super strong and has NBA talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT