ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured any come back would be the fact Purdue has beaten Ohio State and Michigan State more recently than Michigan has. I tried to get out in front off that one.
AshamedPoliticalHalcyon-size_restricted.gif

Mike Smith edge:
Shooting
Half court offense (maybe)

Davante Jones edge:
Defense
Transition offense (undoubtedly)

Nothing about watching Jones this game or in summer league (where he matched up vs Mike Smith) has me thinking he can’t be a Smith level PG.
Yeah, it looked pretty evident that he’ll be a half court downgrade. I think that matters.

Yessir! $50 single entry contest and took it down! Feels amazing.

Thank you sir!
I’m fcking grinding out a grand or two here and there and you are hitting $50k on a $50 bet. Go get some hookers and blow.

Reactions: otte21
Being a transition and defensive upgrade matters, too, though.
Is chasing steals against d2 opponent a guarantee of better defense? Looked slow side to side. That’s important against ball screens. Of course, he won’t have to defend the best offensive guard.

I’m fcking grinding out a grand or two here and there and you are hitting $50k on a $50 bet. Go get some hookers and blow.
Haha thanks man. Here was my day in total:

DzVijv1.png

Had $202 total in entries and returned $50,689.00. Wish I could do that every week but it had been a few years since I had a pay day this big.
May just take you up on that hookers and blow offer.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Is chasing steals against d2 opponent a guarantee of better defense? Looked slow side to side. That’s important against ball screens. Of course, he won’t have to defend the best offensive guard.

You said you watched a lot of Mike Smith? If Jones is even average on that end of the court he would be an upgrade over Smith. Smith was a below average defender. Reports from the G-league camp and practices were optimistic about Jones' defense. He has alot more size than Smith did and has a 6'6 wingpsan. But, again, he doesn't even need to be a good defender to be an improvement over Smith on that end.

Last edited:
These were Jones' and Smith's numbers when they were matched up against each other. They are different types of players but probably as similar as you can get in terms of overall talent level. I'm not sure where the idea comes from the Mike Smith's overall impact is that hard to replace.

Jones Game stats

Field goal percentage: 53.8 percent
Rebounds: 5.0
Assists: 2.5
Steals: 2.5
Turnovers: 4.0
Blocks: 0.0

Smith Game stats

Field goal percentage: 45.7 percent
Rebounds: 1.5
Assists: 2.5
Steals: 0.0
Turnovers: 2.5
Blocks: 0.0

Last edited:

DzVijv1.png

Had $202 total in entries and returned $50,689.00. Wish I could do that every week but it had been a few years since I had a pay day this big.
All good. I had a decent day…

I definitely check it out . New guys are good. Tough position there’re in

Yup. Hopefully it keeps working. I think bringing in a player who played under Beilein and currently under Howard is a power move. He’s written a couple articles already, I think did a post game recap with Dennis Fithian, and is doing these videos of play breakdowns. It’s got my attention.

I hope Norlander and Boone are right. It would be nice to ended the B1G's streak of futility. I'm certainly not predicting it tho.

I think Gonzaga is going to be head and shoulders better than everyone else. Obviously anything can happen in March.

DzVijv1.png

Keep this up and you can donate a bit for Brohm's upcoming contract song and dance that he does every time he goes to a bowl.

Keep this up and you can donate a bit for Brohm's upcoming contract song and dance that he does every time he goes to a bowl.
Dude drove a 2004 Accord for the longest time. I'm not sure it's him initiating the song and dance.

Yeah, he actually hates money imo
Not sure how that statement reconciles with the one I made. If money was his primary objective, we'd have a new coach and he'd be at Louisville, who offered him more than we did last time.

Not sure how that statement reconciles with the one I made. If money was his primary objective, we'd have a new coach and he'd be at Louisville, who offered him more than we did last time.
I don't blame the guy for leveraging his success. But I'm not gonna try to act like he's not doing it.

Louisville is more of a lateral move if not a downgrade. There are quite a few high level jobs opening or having already opened.

Louisville is more of a lateral move if not a downgrade. There are quite a few high level jobs opening or having already opened.

High level jobs come with much higher expectations. Brohm could stay at Purdue for another 15 years and not have to sweat it out if he keeps us in the 6-9 win range the vast majority of the time.

High level jobs come with much higher expectations. Brohm could stay at Purdue for another 15 years and not have to sweat it out if he keeps us in the 6-9 win range the vast majority of the time.
That’s easier said than done. He was on the hot seat prior to this season. He would have far more talent to work with at higher level jobs.

That’s easier said than done. He was on the hot seat prior to this season. He would have far more talent to work with at higher level jobs.
That was a creation of a few in the media. No one in the Purdue hierarchy had him anywhere near the hot seat.

That was a creation of a few in the media. No one in the Purdue hierarchy had him anywhere near the hot seat.
The point remains. Higher level jobs come with higher level of expectations, but also higher salaries, higher talent level, and a better chance to compete on the national level.

The point remains. Higher level jobs come with higher level of expectations, but also higher salaries, higher talent level, and a better chance to compete on the national level.

1. How many higher level jobs are there that’d realistically go after Brohm?

2. How many jobs would pay him significantly more than ~$5 mil a year that are realistic for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT