ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt IU has been better against the bad teams than Purdue. Purdue has had some really questionable losses during Brohm's tenure but has also had better wins than IU. The issue is with the consistency and being better against the crappy teams.
That’s my point. The couple of big wins don’t outweigh all the poor losses.

I will say that I think this year looms large for Brohm. His first 2 years went better & produced more competitive teams than anyone could have expected.

& the last 2 have been disappointing. one with an injury riddled year and then last year’s weird COVID year with a half committed Rondale Moore & a terrible Diaco hire.

He needs to prove something this year. The offense gives me hope but I remain pessimistic about the defense and overall depth in general.

Purdue has sucked, no doubt. And eh QB isn’t the problem. Here’s where Purdue’s finished in pass yds per game since 2016 in the big ten:
2020: 1st
2019: 1st
2018: 2nd
2017: 5th
2016: 1st

It’s every other facet of the game that needs work.
I know it's been defense bits it's still shocking to me. Moore and Bell make any QB look better than they are.

I will say that I think this year looms large for Brohm. His first 2 years went better & produced more competitive teams than anyone could have expected.

& the last 2 have been disappointing. one with an injury riddled year and then last year’s weird COVID year with a half committed Rondale Moore & a terrible Diaco hire.

He needs to prove something this year. The offense gives me hope but I remain pessimistic about the defense and overall depth in general.

I think bringing Hagen back was clutch. Without him, we don’t land Strickland.

One has won 6 games the past two years the other 14....

Oh no doubt you’ve been better. But things can change quickly we’ll see what things look like in 2 years. After their second seasons, most non-IU/Purdue people would’ve said Purdue had the better trajectory. Obviously not the case now but a lot can happen.

I know it's been defense bits it's still shocking to me. Moore and Bell make any QB look better than they are.
I think both Sindelar and Blough were significantly better under Brohm than they were the previous regime. Plummer (Brohm’s first QB recruit) is just now entering the year you would expect him to have developed into a starter at the big ten level.
& then they have a 4 star sophomore QB and a 4 star QB coming in next year.

So I’m still optimistic that position has room to improve, although I do think it’s still the least of Purdue’s worries outside of skill positions.

But Purdue is not good against poor teams and IU doesn’t lose to them. You are trying your hardest to make it seem like IU and Purdue have had similar success the last two years.
Am I? Because it sure doesn't look like it to me. There is no doubt you were the better team in 2020. But was 2020 an anomaly or a trend? We will see this year.

2019's difference IMO can largely be written off to IU's ridiculously easy schedule and Purdue's injury woes. The 8 opponents you beat:

5-7 Ball State
1-11 Eastern Illinois (FCS)
2-10 UConn
2-10 Rutgers
3-9 Maryland
5-7 Nebraska
3-9 Northwestern
4-8 Purdue

And that win over 4-8 Purdue required double OT even though we had reached the point injury wise where we were starting a 3rd string walk-on at QB, 3rd string walk-on at C, and 4th string walk-on at RB. Our injuries that year were stupid. Losing Sindelar and Rondale Moore on the same play was nuts.

@hailtoyourvictor

I’m not sure what he meant either lol

You really didn’t understand? I mentioned that Okpara committed to Ohio State and for really no reason it gets mentioned that Tarris Reed “ might “ get ranked ahead of him. It just seemed random as that comment could be applied to any combination of players. As for those 2, Osu clearly felt Okpara was a better fit and as of right now all the people who are paid to evaluate prospects agree he is the better long term prospect. I personally have no idea but as a fan, I like what I’ve seen of Okpara and his ability to switch on smaller players and guard multiple positions. If you have players who can score consistently at other positions that might be the single most important attribute in today’s game.

You really didn’t understand? I mentioned that Okpara committed to Ohio State and for really no reason it gets mentioned that Tarris Reed “ might “ get ranked ahead of him. It just seemed random as that comment could be applied to any combination of players. As for those 2, Osu clearly felt Okpara was a better fit and as of right now all the people who are paid to evaluate prospects agree he is the better long term prospect. I personally have no idea but as a fan, I like what I’ve seen of Okpara and his ability to switch on smaller players and guard multiple positions. If you have players who can score consistently at other positions that might be the single most important attribute in today’s game.
Make no mistake your staff didn’t pass on Reed. Ohio State found out they weren’t getting Reed or weren’t a lock and they’d rather take Okpara than miss out on both.

He very well could end up a good player, but he isn’t going to be a guy you want playing 20+ minutes in his first couple years.

Right now he is much higher than he will finish when the 2022 rankings update. That being said he will still be a top 150 kid because he’s 6’11 with potential.

Am I? Because it sure doesn't look like it to me. There is no doubt you were the better team in 2020. But was 2020 an anomaly or a trend? We will see this year.

2019's difference IMO can largely be written off to IU's ridiculously easy schedule and Purdue's injury woes. The 8 opponents you beat:

5-7 Ball State
2-10 UConn
2-10 Rutgers
3-9 Maryland
5-7 Nebraska
3-9 Northwestern
4-8 Purdue

And that win over 4-8 Purdue required double OT even though we had reached the point injury wise where we were starting a 3rd string walk-on at QB, 3rd string walk-on at C, and 4th string walk-on at RB. Our injuries that year were stupid. Losing Sindelar and Rondale Moore on the same play was nuts.
Lol we were far better than you in 2019. Look at the teams you lost to. You didn’t beat anyone of note. Btw, we were also on our second string QB. Injuries don’t matter, right? At least that’s what Purdue fans told us during the Romeo year.

As for double overtime, it was at Purdue and we were beating the brakes off you. We were up 18 with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd before we let up.

That would be like me saying we were as good as Ohio State this year because we had a chance for a game winning drive even though they were up 21 on us in the 3rd.

5-7 Ball State
2-10 UConn
2-10 Rutgers
3-9 Maryland
5-7 Nebraska
3-9 Northwestern
4-8 Purdue

Too much man. We've swapped football and basketball positions. Just accept it.

Make no mistake your staff didn’t pass on Reed. Ohio State found out they weren’t getting Reed or weren’t a lock and they’d rather take Okpara than miss out on both.

He very well could end up a good player, but he isn’t going to be a guy you want playing 20+ minutes in his first couple years.

Right now he is much higher than he will finish when the 2022 rankings update. That being said he will still be a top 150 kid because he’s 6’11 with potential.

You actually have no idea what you're talking about in terms of what Osu preferred. We'll see how he ends up as a player but not a single site currently has him rated higher and since he's been playing basketball for two years I'd assume his ranking is based on projection more than most which is understandable since he's a way better athlete than most of the other centers

You think comparing our center target to your center commit, especially considering their AAU ties and the fact the OSU recruited Reed, is random? Lol

Reactions: RichardMassive
You actually have no idea what you're talking about in terms of what Osu preferred. We'll see how he ends up as a player but not a single site currently has him rated higher and since he's been playing basketball for two years I'd assume his ranking is based on projection more than most which is understandable since he's a way better athlete than most of the other centers
You can choose not to believe me, but I’ve seen this play out 100’s of times. I follow recruiting way too closely tbh.

But when a recruit makes a decision right before/after another target at the same position is going to decide, it means you went with safe plan-B.

No shame in it, even the best miss on some of their preferred targets.

Reactions: RichardMassive
You can choose not to believe me, but I’ve seen this play out 100’s of times. I follow recruiting way too closely tbh.

But when a recruit makes a decision right before/after another target at the same position is going to decide, it means you went with safe plan-B.

No shame in it, even the best miss on some of their preferred targets.

You're half right. Osu preferred Filipkowski and thought they had a good chance but when they saw the writing on the wall they pushed hard for Okpara. Osu also felt good about Favour Aire. Reed was never a real option or one Osu pursued heavily. They also never pursued Chris Livingston but went all in on Roddy Gayle. That certainly doesn't mean Gayle is better or Osu thinks he is, just they thought he was a better fit.

A lot of Football talk today is nice to see. Curious as to how others feel about their school this year since last season was mostly a waste.
I'm glad we got Ohio State for the first game of the season and at home to boot. Best chance we'll have to beat them for awhile.

You're half right. Osu preferred Filipkowski and thought they had a good chance but when they saw the writing on the wall they pushed hard for Okpara. Osu also felt good about Favour Aire. Reed was never a real option or one Osu pursued heavily. They also never pursued Chris Livingston but went all in on Roddy Gayle. That certainly doesn't mean Gayle is better or Osu thinks he is, just they thought he was a better fit.
You don’t follow OSU basketball recruiting that closely if you don’t know that they recruited Reed heavily….and flipowski is a stretch 4. Holtmann is a ****** if he was recruiting him to be your 5 at this point.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Filipowski and Livingston are the cherry on top type of recruit. Their scholarships will be there if they want to commit, but it isn’t contingent on anybody else.

Illinois is doing the same thing with Jarace Walker and Cam Whitmore, you recruit them all out until they commit elsewhere or tell you that you are eliminated.

I’d guess based on the how Reed responded after his official, OSU thought they were in it. Then when they saw how he told the same thing to MSU and Michigan after those officials. That made them less confident and they went the safe route with Okpara.

Filipowski and Livingston are the cherry on top type of recruit. Their scholarships will be there if they want to commit, but it isn’t contingent on anybody else.

Illinois is doing the same thing with Jarace Walker and Cam Whitmore, you recruit them all out until they commit elsewhere or tell you that you are eliminated.

I’d guess based on the how Reed responded after his official, OSU thought they were in it. Then when they saw how he told the same thing to MSU and Michigan after those officials. That made them less confident and they went the safe route with Okpara.

And?

Reactions: Archetype19

And your guess would be incorrect and I’m not guessing.

You don’t follow OSU basketball recruiting that closely if you don’t know that they recruited Reed heavily….and flipowski is a stretch 4. Holtmann is a ****** if he was recruiting him to be your 5 at this point.
I actually follow recruiting heavily and I’m fully aware of who Osu preferred and didn’t.

If your staff preferred Okpara over Reed then their talent evaluations are terrible.

More than likely you aren’t in the know as much as you think are.

7534666d54f8ccda51dcaac35d30097a.gif

No more Crossroads Classic. Not surprised but was always a cool event.
Best part was a group of us (IU, Purdue, Butler grads/fans) always got together or went out to the bars to watch it. But from a b-ball perspective, it had kinda grown stale on me TBH.

Plus it doesn’t help that the event always happened right after Purdue had finals. Players always came out sluggish it seemed like.

Best part was a group of us (IU, Purdue, Butler grads/fans) always got together or went out to the bars to watch it. But from a b-ball perspective, it had kinda grown stale on me TBH.

Plus it doesn’t help that the event always happened right after Purdue had finals. Players always came out sluggish it seemed like.
The finals excuse always confused me. Every university in that event has finals at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT