ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

I ended up adding in Ball State (-7).

I'm honestly looking at putting some money on BSU on the moneyline when they travel to Purdue on Saturday. Seems like the type of game a young, inexperienced team could lose, even at Mackey.
But seriously...
giphy.gif

Reactions: KisteK
I ended up adding in Ball State (-7).

I'm honestly looking at putting some money on BSU on the moneyline when they travel to Purdue on Saturday. Seems like the type of game a young, inexperienced team could lose, even at Mackey.
Honestly don't have a great feeling about that game right now either. I may feel better after tomorrow night but there is a reason Purdue was interested in Taylor Persons.

Honestly don't have a great feeling about that game right now either. I may feel better after tomorrow night but there is a reason Purdue was interested in Taylor Persons.
I'm optimistic about this team, but that exhibition performance and the lack of experience has me a little worried in the early going. Add in a pretty experienced BSU team with some talented transfers, and it seems like a recipe for an upset.

I would have expected something about silly season. The boat rowing can stay with the other team.

The good thing is, the boat rowers can start silly season early again this year!

It's just too good not to use. We'll see if it spills over to bball this season.

I started this one. Someone else can start the official in-season thread. Where's gil when you need him?

Scary quotes from the IlliniBoard 2018 Basketball Season Preview:

While there are certainly more than a few marquee names on the docket, to me, the difficulty of this schedule lies more in the grind than in the name recognition. There just isn't much breathing room. I only count three true cupcakes over the whole slate — Evansville, No. 208; Florida Atlantic, No. 302; and Mississippi Valley St., No. 348.

In fact, there are only six games against teams ranked higher than 100 in KenPom, compared to twelve such games last season. Illinois might very well be underdogs in eight of the thirteen games on the schedule before we even hit January. Heavy lifting indeed for the 85th-ranked team in the land.

As the schedule stands to start this season, there are seventeen Quad 1 games and another eight Quad 2 games.

This is mainly for @SNU0821 but also some good ones from @hailtoyourvictor too.

@B-Westy
@CardinalBoiler
@otte21
@roadblock19
@BoilerExpress

Take a look to see where Purdue fans made unrealistic expectations going into the year. Should help jog your memory since you were so adamant that we made claims like we were Alabama.

It remains to be seen but so far, Lovie is on a Hazell-esque path when it comes to wins and losses. Sure he has a good class so far but when will that translate to wins on the field?

Brohm won 7 games last year with a severely flawed roster and coming off the worst 4-year stretch in Purdue history. Did he have his recruits in place in year 1?

Didn’t Hazell beat Illinois twice? 2 of his 3 conference wins I believe. Haha

Brohm is the best. Dude just gets it which is refreshing after the train wreck we had to endure for 4 years with the Haze.

Correct haha. Of all the coaches that were available that we could’ve hired, I’m not sure I would’ve taken any of them over Brohm to be honest.

Agree re Yanni. He will be good but pretty sure Michigan is his first offer period. Not just first B1G/P5 offer, but his first offer. If he’s not GK’s brother, no way he gets that offer (at least that soon).

I also love seeing how desperate Harbaugh is with this.

All that drama even though UM’s medical staff had Speight walk off the field. Lol

One of those two stars is a punter. And with 3 4* guys in the fold already (Karlaftis should be a 5* on rivals but he didn’t go to their camps), that’s a pretty good start. It’s not like the 19 commitments are all MAC-level talent. They’re beating out legit P5 programs for most of these guys. And the guys still left on their board that they have a good shot at (JJ Weaver, Wandale Robinson, David Bell, and Cameron Williams) are all 4* guys who would boost the class even more. Sure having 19 commitments helps but they’re landing quality players. Is 4 2* guys (not going to include the punter) out of 18 position players a big deal? If it was half? Sure.

Based on last year’s class, I could see Brohm cutting some of the lower-rated guys if they don’t have a good senior year. He cut about 5 last year if I remember correctly.

IU fans are all hoping Brohm leaves quickly. It’s been quite the 180 since the Haze left.

IU fans went from “we own Purdue” to “oh shit” in a span of about 12 months.

Seriously? Lol.

I’m saying I feel like IU fans thought that they were in control of the rivalry pre-Brohm. Since that hire, Purdue won 7 games (including a bowl win) and are recruiting at a level not seen since the glory years of the Tiller era. If I rooted for IU, I would be pretty bummed at how quickly Purdue turned things around after the worst 4-year period in their history. And I’d be hoping that Brohm leaves as soon as possible.

As far as the 7-point win, the game wasn’t that close IMO. Purdue was the better team by far that game.

Sure it’s easier but it was still impressive. Purdue has the second hardest schedule this year FYI. The best win last year for Purdue was at Iowa.

Is that supposed to be a knock on Purdue? Even if Brohm leaves, he’ll leave us in a much better position than we were when he took over. Sure it would suck to lose him but we least we’d be on solid ground as a program moving forward.

Is that a good thing IU won’t be hiring a new coach? I could turn that and say that they’re not in jeopardy of losing him since he wouldn’t be pursued by other schools.

And I could see Lovie being gone in a year or two if he doesn’t turn it around.

That’s all other fan bases have right now regarding Purdue. It’s well Brohm won’t stay long-term. If that’s all you (or anyone else) has on Purdue right now, things are pretty good.

Hard to win when you spot the other team 21 points. Sindelar was really bad and we still had a chance to win. Not a bad performance with big-time recruits in the house for both football and basketball.

Lol what? Playing a crappy game and still having a chance to beat a 10-win team from a year ago is “just like the Purdue most of us are accustomed to seeing?” Maybe you weren’t paying attention to Rondale Moore?

Yeah I get it but that was going to be tough for a Thursday night. Still pleased with the turnout. Hell of a fun game. Swanigan and the guys were hanging right in front of me before the game. Cool to see for sure.

What is Northwestern this year? The 6th-8th best team in the B1G? I'm guessing SNU meant that losing at home to a middle-of-the-pack B1G team is what we are accustomed to seeing from Purdue.

We survived the Hazell era. You think a close loss to a solid team in which we were murdered in the turnover battle is going to send us over the edge?

Plus, we got the full Rondale experience.

It’s pretty obvious that Brohm was a good hire. I don’t expect him to flip the program overnight however. He did a good job to be bowl eligible last year and I expect he will have us yearning for that seventh win come bucket time again. But, it will take time to get us back to regularly going to bowls I think. The Purdue fans who think it will happen overnight remind me of the IU fans who feel Archie is going to do the same for their program. IU added some nice pieces and bring back a couple of guys who can ball, but to expect this years team to be a lot better than last is just speculation and wishful thinking. Will IU make the tourney? I think so. Outside of that I don’t see a huge leap from last year, and to be honest, that in itself will be a pretty big leap.

Basically thought Brohm would get us into the playoffs? Not even close. I think most Purdue fans are hoping for 6 or 7 wins especially with the schedule.

This is correct. Helluva strawman though

Where does it show how unbelievably awesome Northwestern is? I mean, I know they HAVE to be a contender to win the B10 if they beat Purdue at home. Amirite?

Exactly, and the talent level was essentially the same and they made a bowl game in addition to the improved recruiting. Hence the excitement from the fan base

It was disappointing but I think they showed that they’re going to be competitive in essentially every game again this season.

Purdue logic: Losing at home to Northwestern means that Purdue will be competitive vs Ohio State.

flow-unto-you-dumb-meme.jpg

Not only that they were actually taking smack this offseason. Purdue football, look out! Lol!

Jesus Christ I said essentially didn’t I? I’m not acting like they’re a top 15 team this season. Reading comprehension can go along way sometimes.

Yes. People said Purdue was better than IU, Whoopy doo. That’s the extent of the trash talk I’ve seen.

Please show some actual posts to back this up. I’ve seen Purdue fans be excited because we won a bowl game last year but how does that equate to “never seen Purdue fans talking more shit than this year?”

Upset? No. Disappointed? Absolutely. Have to keep the momentum going from last year.

I would Say if they don’t make the Rose Bowl they’ll be disappointed judging by how hyped they were for the season to start and how good they keep telling us how good their coach is supposed to be.

Hit the nail on the head as always SNU.

Are you denying that Brohm is a good coach? I don’t think any Purdue fan mentioned anything about a New Year’s Day bowl in year 2 for Brohm after the roster he inherited. Simply making/winning a bowl game with the roster he inherited was amazing. But there’s still a lot of sub-B1G level talent on this team. What’s wrong with being hyped for he season to start? Shit I can only imagine the hype from you guys if you came off a bowl win since it hasn’t happened in 25 years.

Exactly. The only really bad outcome would’ve been getting blown out. I can live with a 4 point home loss when we spotted them 14 points off of dumb turnovers.

Maybe Purdue overachieved last year? Hey it was a bad loss but I’ll still take what we have now over what we had before.

So thinking we’d win 6 games equals us thinking we’d be good? Lol. That means we thought we’d be average.

Lol who’d you see that said 8 or 9? I call BS on that. With this schedule, most predictions I saw were in the 5-7 range.

Nobody. Everyone on the home board thought 5-6 wins

Looking like ~2 wins now tho tbh. Ouch

With this schedule? Lol. It’s possible to build on last year and not necessarily have a better record.

Hey maybe you guys will actually win a bowl game this year! But I wouldn’t bet on it.

That’s cool. But then again, I didnt hype my football team and coach like it was Belichick and the Patriots taking the B10 by storm. YOU did. LOL!!!

Yep predicting 6 or 7 wins meant I hyped them like Belichick and the Patriots. Gold from you as always SNU.

I dont know man. Us IU fans are terrified of Brohm. With his stellar recruiting class, he was supposed to take a step forward this year. But he’s 0-2??? What happened? Really terrified of Brohm and that 7 point loss at Purdue last year.

His stellar class won’t arrive on campus until next year lol.

Looks like last year may have been an outlier instead of the norm. Think they have jumped the gun with th hype.

It’s been 2 games lol.

A win at Iowa who had manhandled Ohio State at home is a hell of a win. They absolutely overachieved especially with regards to preseason expectations.

Yawn. Purdue absolutely overachieved last year.

@CardinalBoiler said 8-9 wins in the near future this past offseason. I don’t know if he meant this year or next year, but hopefully not this year because Purdue is terrible.

Yeah I did anyway. The defensive side of the ball lost so many key players. I thought the offense would be better this year though but overall I really did think this Purdue team would be worse than last season just based on the defense.

Yeah, almost all our fans thought the team may be about the same or perhaps slightly better, but the schedule (2nd in the country preseason) would limit the win total

Obviously I think we all thought directional Mac school would be a W, so clearly season is looking much worse than 5-6 wins, as I said above

I’m guessing 6 wins but can easily see as few as 4 if the defense mightily struggles like I think it will. I think the offense should be improved with the retention of most of the key pieces plus the addition of a playmaker like Moore. Defense really is the wild card though. Lost so many key players from last season but then again a lot of those players wouldn’t have been as good if not for the new regime, so I have some hope.

Copy-pasted from the home board under predictions.

Show me the receipts on this one.

Edit: I'm assuming you're referring to this sarcastic post I directed at @Da_Bull when we were all flaming each other about Brohm and Tom Allen.

Do better. Purdue football has won 8+ games in at least two straight seasons like twice in the past 40 years. I've been solidly in the camp of expecting 5-7 wins this season. We lost a ton on defense and the schedule got a lot tougher. Doesn't help when you lose two games in the "soft" part of the schedule either.

Breaking news at 11: Fans of sports team had positive outlook for upcoming season. More on this shocking, rapidly developing story after the commercial break."

Coming off a bowl win, don't most fans usually hype their team?

Tell me more about people making incorrect offseason predictions about Purdue teams...

Yeah, Northwestern is a real solid team guys. RollLaugh

But 10 wins last year!

Vegas matters for an unbiased data point imo.

If they predicted 6 wins, that’s also a good data point

And even if NW is so-so this year, it’s the type of game haze would lose by 40+, so the loss didn’t kill the season for the fans, which you seem to think it should have. The emu loss did imo (barring a miracle), so we are headed for a bad season for sure.

But as they say hindsight is 20/20.

Isn't too much different? One program is a little above .500 historically and one is one of the worst P5 programs of all time. That's a little more than "isn't too much different."

Isn't Northwestern notorious for getting off to slow starts? I love how we're having this conversation 2 games into the season. It's still to be determined what type of season NW has.

RollLaugh

Vegas set their preseason win total at 6 wins.

I linked 3 or 4 different objective sources that had Northwestern as a mid tier B1G team preseason.

Northwestern looked average vs Purdue and looked terrible vs Duke.

But...... 10 wins once upon a time!

Purdue isn't bad. They're average as the really good times have been muddied by the terrible times. IU has just always been awful for the most part.

Literally no one came even close to saying that. If that's what you took from our "hype," you need help with reading comprehension.

Yeah that was over the top. But then again every iu fan thinks Archie is going to win at least 4 more titles than John Wooden

Why do people continue responding to this guy? He has zero credibility!

It is readily apparent that the two most biased posters on this thread over the last couple of years I've been here have been Gil for Iowa and Snu against Purdue. Everyone ridicules Gil. Everyone should ignore Snu (except those who want to join him in his circle jerk of course).

Well we know if they win or lose they will pump Mizzou as some National powerhouse. Lol!

Well IU is 3-0. What’s Purdue again?

Will Purdue win more then 3 games this year?

Seriously, hearing a Purdue fan talking crap about Michigan football is hysterical! Especially when Purdue hasn't won a game yet this season.

Cream puff noncon is over. Time for the annual iu conference flame out.

Hahahahahaha Hahahahahahaha. Thanks for the laugh.

Will Purdue win any games this year?

You Mad bro? You guys just lost again, at home, and start the season 0-3. Don’t worry man. You may win a game or two.

Also, how’s it feel to constantly lose out on recruits to Archie? Gotta suck. Lulz.

Not sure I would be, if I were you.

What else is there to say besides it’s disappointing? I expected 3-1 or 2-2. But if we can keep the recruiting class together (and if our staff can recruit well, I’m guessing they’re harping on the early playing time that’s available), I still like the potential of the program moving forward. David Bell got a front row seat to a lot of offense tonight and would be a huge addition next year.

Solid post. I predicted 2–1 start and 5/6 wins total, so team is obviously going to finish well below my expectations. The loss last week was an unmitigated death knell for the season imo.

Closest projections I could find.

Pretty unrealistic expectations after last year I guess?

Not necessarily. We aren’t gonna get 5/6 wins imo, but doesn’t mean predicting that in the preseason was unrealistic.

I said Purdue lost to an average Northwestern team.

You replied "Purdue played Northwestern, not Michigan" implying that Michigan is average and Northwestern is not.

Now you are flailing. It's okay to be wrong, dude. Purdue sucks. Northwestern sucks. Accept it and move on.

Northwestern started 2-3 last year and got bitch slapped much worse by Duke and ended up finishing 10-3. I have no idea if they are any good (they certainly don't look it) but I would have said the same last year and been wrong as well.

I don't prognosticate because it's damn difficult to do when it comes to football. Shit, the Saints are losing 12-3 to the Browns at home in the 4th quarter.

Perhaps Purdue isn’t as terrible as we thought. That was a fun game to be at. Rondale Moore is the real deal.

Purdue football this season, lol.

Reactions: CardinalBoiler
@boiler1987

Wait, what? Northwestern is still a very average team. And Purdue finished 6-6. This is an odd brag post.
Standard Purdue fan. Average program. Average year. And yet they’re bragging like they’re going to the playoffs or championship game. Really classic glimpse into the weird mind of a Purdue fan.

I still like when they were attacking UM football and Harbaugh.

Preseason I probably would’ve ranked B1G:

Ohio state
Michigan
Penn state
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Purdue
Northwestern
Iowa

Now with healthy rosters id rank then:

Ohio state
Michigan
Penn state
Michigan State
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin
Iowa

Purdue still 6th, northwestern from 7th to 5th because Wisconsin blows. Purdue and NW coin flip really.

Reactions: SNU0821
This is mainly for @SNU0821 but also some good ones from @hailtoyourvictor too.

@B-Westy
@CardinalBoiler
@otte21
@roadblock19
@BoilerExpress

Take a look to see where Purdue fans made unrealistic expectations going into the year. Should help jog your memory since you were so adamant that we made claims like we were Alabama.
As someone who likes to pull #receipts posts every so often, this is an impressive collection.

I don't have any issues with @SNU0821, but he's definitely been beating that "Purdue fans think their program is a national title contender" drum for the better part of a year now. Kind of an odd strawman.

Also, @hailtoyourvictor did post a semi-mea culpa about the Northwestern trolling on Saturday. So tough to fault him on that one. But the OSU one is kind of funny in hindsight.

Preseason I probably would’ve ranked B1G:

Ohio state
Michigan
Penn state
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Purdue
Northwestern
Iowa

Now with healthy rosters id rank then:

Ohio state
Michigan
Penn state
Michigan State
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin
Iowa

Purdue still 6th, northwestern from 7th to 5th because Wisconsin blows. Purdue and NW coin flip really.

I agree we suck but we beat both Purdue and Iowa with an unhealthy roster.

Standard Purdue fan. Average program. Average year. And yet they’re bragging like they’re going to the playoffs or championship game. Really classic glimpse into the weird mind of a Purdue fan.

I mean I get being happy about their coach or whatever, but that’s such a weird post. Is he really trying to pass off NW as good? They went 8-4 and didn’t even have to play two of the top 3 teams in the conference (Ohio State and penn state).

Where’s the bragging like we’re going to the playoffs or championship? Again with the hyperbole even after I called you out on it. You’re out-SNU’ing yourself.

I mean I get being happy about their coach or whatever, but that’s such a weird post. Is he really trying to pass off NW as good? They went 8-4 and didn’t even have to play two of the top 3 teams in the conference (Ohio State and penn state).

They were decent. And people wrote them off too quickly just like last year.

As someone who likes to pull #receipts posts every so often, this is an impressive collection.

I don't have any issues with @SNU0821, but he's definitely been beating that "Purdue fans think their program is a national title contender" drum for the better part of a year now. Kind of an odd strawman.

Also, @hailtoyourvictor did post a semi-mea culpa about the Northwestern trolling on Saturday. So tough to fault him on that one. But the OSU one is kind of funny in hindsight.

I still think NW is an average team. They went 8-4 with a home loss to 4-7 Akron and didn’t have to play Ohio State or Penn State.

I thought Nebraska’s D was suppose to be pretty good, Clemson getting anything they want in the lane.

-sorry for the breakup in football bitching posts.

Reactions: CardinalBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT