ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

People are dumb.
I like ya Boiler...That's why I'm gonna ask this with respect. What are you basing your thoughts on Purdue being better than IU? Are talking of late---Past 10 years? If so, meh, maybe. But overall? I mean there just isn't an argument.

Den+5 @ Ravens-more of my skepticism of Flacco and the Ravens than trust in Denver

tenor.gif

Results (head-to-head, win percentage, tourney appearances/success) over past 15 years favor Purdue.
Since 2002---Last 15 years. IU/Purdue have played 29 times. Purdue leads 15-14. That includes those great years where IU went 6-25, 10-22 and 12-20. So congrats on beating IU when they were just awful.

Success---

IU---11 NCAAT appearances. 1 Final Four
Purdue--- 12 NCAAT appearances.

Big 10 titles:

IU 3(2002, 2013, 2016)

PU: 2( 2010, 2017).

So yeah, Purdue has been slightly better. Congrats on being SLIGHTLY better, during arguably one of the worst decades in IU basketball. Laughing

Since 2002---Last 15 years. IU/Purdue have played 29 times. Purdue leads 15-14. That includes those great years where IU went 6-25, 10-22 and 12-20. So congrats on beating IU when they were just awful.
We've beaten you when you're awful and when you're good. In fact, we have 30 more victories than you have against us. What's your point?

I was counting 2002-2017. Simple mistake.

Nothing much changes. Point remains: Purdue has only been slightly better during arguably Indiana's worst decade plus of basketball. Something tells me you thought the numbers would be much wider.

They are not.

We've beaten you when you're awful and when you're good. In fact, we've have 30 more victories than you have against us. What's your point?
Point is, Indiana basketball is a better brand. Better historically. Better period. This is felt throughout CBB. Its no secret. Dude your womens team has more Final Fours than you do.Laughing

Ang congrats on your thirty more wins. Hell a ton of those came before color TV. You can have those "30 more wins".

I'll take the five titles.Winking

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Point is, Indiana basketball is a better brand. Better historically. Better period. This is felt throughout CBB. Its no secret. Dude your womens team has more Final Fours than you do.Laughing

Ang congrats on your thirty more wins. Hell a ton of those came before color TV. You can have those "30 more wins".

15 years, 15 seasons, from 2003-04 to this past season, Purdue's been superior. Much better winning percentage, lead head-to-head, 10 NCAAT appearances vs. 7, more tourney success. Do you think Indiana is a better basketball program than Michigan State? At one time, sure, but right now, no.

Are you talking about Purdue’s 30 more wins or IU’s 5 titles when you say “before color TV”? Just would like to understand what’s relevant and what is not.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
I like ya Boiler...That's why I'm gonna ask this with respect. What are you basing your thoughts on Purdue being better than IU? Are talking of late---Past 10 years? If so, meh, maybe. But overall? I mean there just isn't an argument.
I'm talking about right now as a program. Historically, obviously IU is a more accomplished program. Not sure anyone would argue with that fact.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
Are you talking about Purdue’s 30 more wins or IU’s 5 titles when you say “before color TV”? Just would like to understand what’s relevant and what is not.
Both are relevant. But pretty sure color TV was available in 76, 81 and 87. Like I said---You can the thirty more wins.

I'll take the 5 titles; color tv or not.

15 years, 15 seasons, from 2003-04 to this past season, Purdue's been superior. Much better winning percentage, lead head-to-head, 10 NCAAT appearances vs. 7, more tourney success. Do you think Indiana is a better basketball program than Michigan State? At one time, sure, but right now, no.
Dude you act as if there some huge gap.

There is not. So you have three more NCAAT appearances. Great for you. You have one more Sw16.....Same amount of conference titles. You are acting as if there is some great discrepancy...Again, there is not. ANd.....most of this "gap" took place during one of the worst stretches in Indiana's history.

So congrats. You have been slightly better in an era where IU has been awful.

Both are relevant. But pretty sure color TV was available in 76, 81 and 87. Like I said---You can the thirty more wins.

I'll take the 5 titles; color tv or not.

First color TVs was introduced in 1950 it looks like.

There is not. So you have three more NCAAT appearances. Great for you. You have one more Sw16.....Same amount of conference titles. You are acting as if there is some great discrepancy...Again, there is not. ANd.....most of this "gap" took place during one of the worst stretches in Indiana's history.

For the record, Purdue had some pretty bad years as well during that 15-year stretch at the end of Keady’s tenure that were not the norm for most of Purdue’s history.

Since the color tv Purdue is 60-66 vs IU
4 to a bagel in titles but I’m sure you already knew that.
I'mma need the stats for when the color tv first was in the majority of American households as well as when basic cable expanded beyond the original networks. Thanks in advance.

I'm talking about right now as a program. Historically, obviously IU is a more accomplished program. Not sure anyone would argue with that fact.

Same coach for 13 years I’d hope so. Even during a horrible stretch in IU basketball it’s just slightly.

I'mma need the stats for when the color tv first was in the majority of American households as well as when basic cable expanded beyond the original networks. Thanks in advance.

The later I go the more heavily favored towards IU the head to head will go. Probably best I stop

Reactions: IUfanBorden
For the record, Purdue had some pretty bad years as well during that 15-year stretch at the end of Keady’s tenure that were not the norm for most of Purdue’s history.
Years like 6-25, 10-22 and 12-20.....WInning a combined 6 Big 10 games in 3 years, bad?
I recall season one where Purdue won 9 games. Then the two losing seasons of 15-17 and 16-18. But I do not recall where Painter ever had teams like Crean had in years 1, 2 and 3; though year three under Crean was the tell, tell....That team should've been much better.

Years like 6-25, 10-22 and 12-20.....WInning a combined 6 Big 10 games in 3 years, bad?
I recall season one where Purdue won 9 games. Then the two losing seasons of 15-17 and 16-18. But I do not recall where Painter ever had teams like Crean had in years 1, 2 and 3; though year three under Crean was the tell, tell....That team should've been much better.

7-21 in 2005.

Purdue has been better according to the results on the court. I've never said it's been a huge gap.

Purdue has been better according to the results on the court. I've never said it's been a huge gap.
No, you didn't. But you sure puffed your chest out as such. Purdue has been SLIGHTLY better. But better nonetheless...

How did I puff out my chest? Seems like I've been more civil than you have.
Maybe I have you mixed up. And I've been civil. If I did confuse you----my apologies. Seems I probably did; You and I have normally gotten along on here. IDK.

First color TVs was introduced in 1950 it looks like.
Haha. I didn’t have a color TV in my extended family until the late 70s and I’m not even exaggerating. IU has two titles when basketball was more than a regional thing after Bird/Magic. Mic drops.

Haha. I didn’t have a color TV in my extended family until the late 70s and I’m not even exaggerating. IU has two titles when basketball was more than a regional thing after Bird/Magic. Mic drops.
Really? A "mic drop"?

tenor.gif

Reactions: jace46555
It was...I was just surprised Keady ever went 7-21. I wasn't questioning the time frame.

Yep his last year was rough. Had a junior Teague and a junior Landry but not much else. His recruiting his last few years was bad.

ADVERTISEMENT