ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also getting a kick out of this newfound arrogance out of Illini fans crowning themselves as leaders of the BIG while doing nothing of significance to back it up. Maybe losing early in the dance is a thing now.
I can’t hear you down there

Because there is no legitimate argument against allowing people to earn money for their profession while in college when literally every other student can.
"Profession"? A student/athlete is considered a profession? And dude, they are getting "paid":
Education: books, room, tuition, etc, etc, ....
Free travel
Free clothing
Access to the best medical care
Access to state of the art training facilities----and top level trainers
Free travel
A platform to showcase their skill-----for free.

Ever see the pregame/postgame food layouts for these dudes? I have. They ain't starving, bro....

Not to mention----they are not forced to attend college. No one is making them do so. THey choose so BECAUSE????

Well, see above. They are on campus for the most part 6 or so months. Get all the above amenities, then move onto to become millionaires...

And look, not every other student has the access to above said aminities as athletes do. Not even close. Not to mention, they aren't going to be making 7 figures, 6 months after they enroll in college.

High profle, above average CBB/CFB players whining about being paid is asinine...

Our staff hasn’t talked to him in weeks, according to the guy who called Skyy to Illinois in October.

Seems like he’s trying to drive the price up if I had to guess
Lol

Source now saying it’s a done deal to Illinois, so idk what to believe

Shannon recruitments are wild

• Haha
Reactions: ConqueringHero
"Profession"? A student/athlete is considered a profession? And dude, they are getting "paid":
Free travel
Free clothing
Free travel

Ever see the pregame/postgame food layouts for these dudes? I have. They ain't starving, bro....

Not to mention----they are not forced to attend college. No one is making them do so. THey choose so BECAUSE????

Well, see above. They are on campus for the most part 6 or so months. Get all the above amenities, then move onto to become millionaires...

And look, not every other student has the access to above said aminities as athletes do. Not even close. Not to mention, they aren't going to be making 7 figures, 6 months after they enroll in college.

High profle, above average CBB/CFB players whining about being paid is asinine...
Basketball is a profession. Is it really that hard of a concept. Many of these kids will be professional athletes, and that is their goal.
Get a scholarship for sports is no different than me getting an academic scholarship and making money with an entrepreneurial venture or internship at the same time.
You’re arbitrarily putting a restriction on their earning potential because “that’s the way it is” rather than critically thinking about the reality. They can be a student athlete and earn money on their own. It’s a constitutionally validated opinion.

Pretty much everything you just said is irrelevant because it’s part of the cost to entice athletes to play for the university’s team. That’s part of the cost to attract the athlete. It’s an incomplete cost that’s been artificially capped by the business that is dictating those rules. The American government said it’s an unfair model, and I agree.

Are you not a free market capitalist American?

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
Are you not a free market capitalist American?
Not when it comes to NCAA basketball I’m not. We need to share the wealth. We need someone to rule with an iron fist to ensure everyone gets their fair share. I know just the man.

pGVQ4Yh.jpg

They aren’t getting paid what they are worth. They are getting paid by crazy ass alumni and billionaires regardless of worth. The entities that reap the billion + from the tv deals (the schools) are not kicking in a dime. Again I’m cool with the players making money. I’m just losing interest in the idea of rooting for a minor league team wearing my teams jersey. And yes I know it’s not “new” and I’ve been losing interest for a while and this just accelerates the process. I’m not sure why alumni in particular would care that the team happens to wear Purdue on the jersey. I’ll stick with some pro sports viewing going forward and playing more golf. Maybe look into getting a fast dog. 😀
Who exactly is getting paid more than they're worth?

Lol

Source now saying it’s a done deal to Illinois, so idk what to believe

Shannon recruitments are wild
Nuts. Losing out on Shannon at this point would be annoying but I didn’t get my hopes up knowing this would be ridiculous and that there were some hurdles.

If UM actually ends up with Bates…. Lmao idk what to even think

Nuts. Losing out on Shannon at this point would be annoying but I didn’t get my hopes up knowing this would be ridiculous and that there were some hurdles.

No matter who ends up with Shannon can the losing teams for his services not whine and cry for a week about losing an NIL battle?

Free travel
Free clothing
Free travel

I used to be where you are but not so sure anymore. How would you like it if someone capped what you could make?

Not poor. Just never been willing to engage in the seedier side of sports so they have some catching up to do.
Exactly. Just raised $68 million in 24 hours yesterday which is insane. Hopefully next year the Day of Giving has an option to donate to NIL.

• Haha
Reactions: B1G_Fan
No matter who ends up with Shannon can the losing teams for his services not whine and cry for a week about losing an NIL battle?
I certainly won’t ….but if I know anything about the UM and Illi fanbases there will be a lot of whining and crying no matter what lol.

If he goes to Illi AND um takes Bates our homeboard will be a sh*t show lmao

god i want bates at um so bad, just to see some of the old guard of um media's(cough cough balas) head explode

The most important part of this get is he’s a local kid. If he succeeds here and we can start mending the relationship between the local schools and Maryland we could be looking good. Need local stars to stay
Yep. Maryland is a bit of a sleeping giant. There is a ton of talent in the DC/Baltimore metro area. If Maryland can keep them at home, they can be a force nationally.

Reactions: bMORE607

Sorry bud, gonna be Illinois. Most likely in the next 72 hours

Bates ain’t a bad conciliation prize all things considered, plus MSU would hate it

What kind of recruit can I get Minnesota with a Costco membership, 10lbs of sausage from Kramarczuk's, a Jucy Lucy from Matt's bar and a tator tot hot dish baked by my mom?

Don't be so sure about that - most would laugh and say good luck cause you will need it dealing with his entourage
The walking back almost every UM fan and media member would do would be quite funny.

Don't be so sure about that - most would laugh and say good luck cause you will need it dealing with his entourage
He’ll only be there one year and will need to play well to get his stock back up.

Seems like a win-win scenario. Plus Michigan still has Williams and Houstan, so they won’t be relying on him.

Sheesh Underwood looks like he's 70 years old in this video. NIL and transfer portal is so GOOD for college athletics! Wee!!

Soudns like shannon is out because he doesnt want to take the summer make up credits he'd have to take to enroll at UM.

Soudns like shannon is out because he doesnt want to take the summer make up credits he'd have to take to enroll at UM.
Kid is a diva anyways. Not sure how much that hurts.

People that are really in touch with everything Texas basketball don’t have the most favorable things to say of Mr. Shannon.

Reactions: GOO_HAM
Kid is a diva anyways. Not sure how much that hurts.

People that are really in touch with everything Texas basketball don’t have the most favorable things to say of Mr. Shannon.
I’d rather have a team full of divas like Shannon than your roster.

Reactions: gowolverines8
I’d rather have a team full of divas like Shannon than your roster.
I’m not saying cooler heads won’t prevail with him but let’s just say I don’t think the TT staff was that displeased with him leaving.

I think if, and only if, MSU adds a good big man transfer we’re a top 4 team in the league next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT