ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
You talking about Rutgers? Michigan was the 9 seed.

#1 seed, #4 seed, #11 seed.... doesn't really matter when you lose in the quarterfinal round. At least to me it doesn't.

2022-big-ten-mens-basketball-tournament-bracket.jpg

So who does the NIL help and hurt in the B1G after a year?

A year from now? That’s tough to tell right now. I think Purdue will get their shit together on it and get it figured out. Seems like UM and IU are off to good starts but can’t say I have any idea about any of the other schools.

A year from now? That’s tough to tell right now. I think Purdue will get their shit together on it and get it figured out. Seems like UM and IU are off to good starts but can’t say I have any idea about any of the other schools.
Meaning being a year into it.

Our nil is a joke, we are getting killed in football recruiting

Reactions: GOO_HAM
Funny

Sounds like we have our basketball NIL together but not really football. Rumors Hunter hit a Million in NIL deals

The moral high road approach on a completely legal part of recruiting certainly is an interesting choice. Let’s see how that pans out.
I think he was implying that they were cheaters pre NIL but now are just losers. To be clear I don’t have a dog in this fight.

Regarding “completely legal” is debatable as NIL is strictly not for recruiting but obviously is being used for recruiting and retention. Don’t really care about that either and I’m thinking I’ll give two shits about college bball within a year or less. Just a different version of a minor league with all pretense of college affiliation cleanly stripped away. I don’t watch minor league sports as a general rule.

Reactions: SIBoiler2
I think he was implying that they were cheaters pre NIL but now are just losers. To be clear I don’t have a dog in this fight.

Regarding “completely legal” is debatable as NIL is strictly not for recruiting but obviously is being used for recruiting and retention. Don’t really care about that either and I’m thinking I’ll give two shits about college bball within a year or less. Just a different version of a minor league with all pretense of college affiliation cleanly stripped away. I don’t watch minor league sports as a general rule.
Kids have been paid to play for decades. The only difference is that they now get paid a free market value. I don’t understand why people would prefer to watch a game where people are taken advantage of rather than paid what they’re worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1016CC0503
Kids have been paid to play for decades. The only difference is that they now get paid a free market value. I don’t understand why people would prefer to watch a game where people are taken advantage of rather than paid what they’re worth.
They don’t have the money to keep up, and their moral high ground of it being cheating (even though everyone does it, just to what extent) is gone.

They are going to be a sad bunch when teams trot out better players because they aren’t paying what kids are worth.

Hell, they are a sad bunch already.

I don't get this....You like the NIL----but then call someone cheaters for actually using the NIL?

Or did I miss something?
If you paid players before NIL, then you were cheating, NIL only started a year ago. I agree with NIL because players absolutely deserve to get paid giving how much revenue they generate for schools and the NCAA. Neither of those contradict each other.

They don’t have the money to keep up, and their moral high ground of it being cheating (even though everyone does it, just to what extent) is gone.

They are going to be a sad bunch when teams trot out better players because they aren’t paying what kids are worth.

You have quite a talent for strawmen arguments

You're really not for a fair market because you can't see the potential ramifications of the current NIL system in college athletics. For example, what happens when kids at Alabama (football) and Duke (basketball) are getting paid immeasurably more money than football players at Memphis or basketball players at Fordham? You do realize there are many, many more of the latter than the former, right?

Here is one of several possible "what happens next" scenarios: (I believe within 5 years) a group of college athletes will lead a charge to unionize and collectively bargain. Because there are many, many more of the Fordham/Memphis type players than Alabama/Duke type players the concept of unionizing will come to a vote and college athletes will be represented by a union. Then the labor disputes arise, salary caps, minimum salaries, strikes will happen in college athletics over revenue splits, etc. That is what has happened in the "free market system" of every pro athletic league in the US, right?

I've maintained from the beginning that the NCAA f--ked this up twelve ways to Sunday by letting the Alston case run thru the courts. They should have seen long before SCOTUS ruled against them this is where we'd be today. The NCAA could have stopped the Alston case ( and I guess the O'Bannon case as well) by developing a way to pay athletes on their terms. Unfortunately the genie is now out of the bottle.

The NCAA should have developed a system to pay athletes. Clearly. But the wild west system they let roll over them will, within the next 10-15 years, render college athletics unrecognizable versus where it was two years ago and, in my opinion, very different than where it is even today. Because what I posted above is how the free market business of athletics in this country is run, that is the system.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: B1G_Fan
You're really not for a fair market because you can't see the potential ramifications of the current NIL system in college athletics. For example, what happens when kids at Alabama (football) and Duke (basketball) are getting paid immeasurably more money than football players at Memphis or basketball players at Fordham? You do realize there are many, many more of the latter than the former, right?

Here is one of several possible "what happens next" scenarios: (I believe within 5 years) a group of college athletes will lead a charge to unionize and collectively bargain. Because there are many, many more of the Fordham/Memphis type players than Alabama/Duke type players the concept of unionizing will come to a vote and college athletes will be represented by a union. Then the labor disputes arise, salary caps, minimum salaries, strikes will happen in college athletics over revenue splits, etc. That is what has happened in the "free market system" of every pro athletic league in the US, right?

I've maintained from the beginning that the NCAA f--ked this up twelve ways to Sunday by letting the Alston case run thru the courts. They should have seen long before SCOTUS ruled against them this is where we'd be today. The NCAA could have stopped the Alston case ( and I guess the O'Bannon case as well) by developing a way to pay athletes on their terms. Unfortunately the genie is now out of the bottle.

The NCAA should have developed a system to pay athletes. Clearly. But the wild west system they let roll over them will, within the next 10-15 years, render college athletics unrecognizable versus where it was two years ago and, in my opinion, very different than where it is even today. Because what I posted above is how the free market business of athletics in this country is run, that is the system.
You don’t like it because of a hypothetical that you made up?
How will college athletics be unrecognizable? They’re still playing basketball in the exact same way. The of the court stuff is completely irrelevant outside of some political viewpoints.

I mean, we swept Illinois and went further in the tournament so...
You had one of your most talented teams in history, finished third in conference, and lost to a 15 seed in the S16. There’s not a clear line between what our teams did last season that we’re “losers”, and you’re something else.

Last edited:

Labor disputes? Holy fvck. They're being paid to advertise, there is no labor disputes. All of this over basically one kids deal. Everyone has lost their collective minds like college basketball is going to crumble over one kid going to Miami over Purdue. I don't think a ton is going to change, it's still basketball. It's crazy to me to think at some point a kid got 800k and a car under the table to transfer. At least now they have to make an Twitter and Instagram posts promoting said company.

Labor disputes? Holy fvck. They're being paid to advertise, there is no labor disputes. All of this over basically one kids deal. Everyone has lost their collective minds like college basketball is going to crumble over one kid going to Miami over Purdue. I don't think a ton is going to change, it's still basketball. It's crazy to me to think at some point a kid got 800k and a car under the table to transfer. At least now they have to make an Twitter and Instagram posts promoting said company.
Better players are being incentivized to stick around? I’m done with this sport.

Illinois and IU fans existence relies purely on the success of their athletic departments. More so than most other fanbases. Not sure why that is but they are the biggest chest thumpers in the big ten. This new NIL wild west appeals to their sensibilities to a T. They couldn't field winning programs the right way for years, so they feel they've finally been able to cut past all the hard stuff that are hallmarks of successful college programs: good coaching, program and culture building, etc. NIL is a nice shortcut for the desperate programs (and especially the fans) yearning to finally be relevant again. Then I think how pathetic it is for some of those fans for their identities to be wrapped up in their favorite college sports team when you simply pay the kids to come to your school. How lame is that? That's not what college sports is about.

• Haha
Illinois and IU fans existence relies purely on the success of their athletic departments. More so than most other fanbases. Not sure why that is but they are the biggest chest thumpers in the big ten. This new NIL wild west appeals to their sensibilities to a T. They couldn't field winning programs the right way for years, so they feel they've finally been able to cut past all the hard stuff that are hallmarks of successful college programs: good coaching, program and culture building, etc. NIL is a nice shortcut for the desperate programs (and especially the fans) yearning to finally be relevant again. Then I think how pathetic it is for some of those fans for their identities to be wrapped up in their favorite college sports team when you simply pay the kids to come to your school. How lame is that? That's not what college sports is about.
I remember when I was young and liked to group large groups of people into a box to help me grasp what I didn't understand.

I like the NIL because it lets kids earn money off their talent/fame. Keeping talent in college rather than kids chancing the draft, going to the G league or overseas is a good thing for college basketball as a whole. More of those kids that stay in school puts more quality kids in college basketball and actually shares the talent around the league. I'm also biased in that IU has resources to capitalize on it. Not that they never played the under table game but I believe they weren't as brash as some schools. This allows them to pay kids and still feel better about being clean.

I like the NIL because it lets kids earn money off their talent/fame. Keeping talent in college rather than kids chancing the draft, going to the G league or overseas is a good thing for college basketball as a whole. More of those kids that stay in school puts more quality kids in college basketball and actually shares the talent around the league. I'm also biased in that IU has resources to capitalize on it. Not that they never played the under table game but I believe they weren't as brash as some schools. This allows them to pay kids and still feel better about being clean.
The spirit of NIL is fine. I have no issue with it. But the lack of oversight and regulation has created a steep competitive imbalance at this point. It is what it is. I have no issue with kids earning money off of their name image and likeness. I have issue with contracts being negotiated during the recruitment process, and having these collectives disguised as "charities". It's just all kind of gross this being done under the guise of some type of welfare program for the less fortunate.

This one is my favorite:

Tweeting that you're paying student athletes to stay off social media for a day under the guise of mental health awareness? I'm literally cackling at all of this. This isn't NIL this is pay to play. Just call it how it is.

The spirit of NIL is fine. I have no issue with it. But the lack of oversight and regulation has created a steep competitive imbalance at this point. It is what it is. I have no issue with kids earning money off of their name image and likeness. I have issue with contracts being negotiated during the recruitment process, and having these collectives disguised as "charities". It's just all kind of gross this being done under the guise of some type of welfare program for the less fortunate.

This one is my favorite:

Tweeting that you're paying student athletes to stay off social media for a day under the guise of mental health awareness? I'm literally cackling at all of this. This isn't NIL this is pay to play. Just call it how it is.
I just don't see it being any different than before. Until we start seeing Pack type arrangements happening consistently I'm not worried. It's still just basketball.

If Emoni actually goes to UM he’ll go from one of the most hated players of all time by MSU fans to the single most hated player ever by MSU fans.

• Haha
Reactions: ConqueringHero

This one is my favorite:

Watching you cry because other teams don't do it "the right way" will be enjoyable. The moral high road is going to lead you straight to where Bruce Weber took Illinois and Kansas St. I'll take the fork in the path that ends with wins.

I don't care if it's pay to play, NIL, or whatever you want, I wanted kids to make money off their talents like they deserve. The mental gymnastics to avoid believing that's what it's actually about makes me cackle. NIL was never going to be anything other than pay to play, and if people thought otherwise, they were ignorant.

You saying we don’t have they money to keep up doesn’t make it true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT