ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

You know, though...Now that I have seen SJU and Belmonts resume...I mean....Maybe more of an argument that I thought? I mean Belmont's nest wins are Murray State and Lipscomb. SOS is 196.

Look at St. Johns....SOS in the 300's. Best win vs Marquette. Went 8-10 in an OK Big East. They were 36 spots lower than IU in KenPom.

I mean, I don't see, aside from the 22 wins, where either of those teams present a better case.
Kind of what @bMORE607 said, eventually you just have to actually win games. Aside from Marquette and UL, their non conference was pretty meh. They count as wins but IU went through a stretch there of really struggling to beat poor mid majors convincingly @home which was really a warning sign looking back.

Butler was way overrated at the time, lost to a bad Arkansas team, got clobbered at Duke (understandable), and had a piss poor conference year despite having 2 All big ten caliber players. Idk if those other teams deserved to be in but IU didn’t do a hell of a whole lot to help their own case overall.

Kind of what @bMORE607 said, eventually you just have to actually win games. Aside from Marquette and UL, their non conference was pretty meh. They count as wins but IU went through a stretch there of really struggling to beat poor mid majors convincingly @home which was really a warning sign looking back.

Butler was way overrated at the time, lost to a bad Arkansas team, got clobbered at Duke (understandable), and had a piss poor conference year despite having 2 All big ten caliber players. Idk if those other teams deserved to be in but IU didn’t do a hell of a whole lot to help their own case overall.
Agree. It comes down to winning games. I mean every single metric, IU's resume was better than St. John's. Except one: WIns(22-17). But, when your OOC SOS is 327th., and 14 of your 22 wins came via OOC, I mean.....You should win 22 games.

But hey, IU made their own bed. And IMO, got what they deserved. Win more, this convo is mute. Beat OSU, IU is preparing for ASU, and not some catholic public school.

Agree. It comes down to winning games. I mean every single metric, IU's resume was better than St. John's. Except one: WIns(22-17). But, when your OOC SOS is 327th., and 14 of your 22 wins came via OOC, I mean.....You should win 22 games.

But hey, IU made their own bed. And IMO, got what they deserved. Win more, this convo is mute. Beat OSU, IU is preparing for ASU, and not some catholic public school.
St Johns was 10-8 against quad 1/quad 2. IU was 8-15.

St Johns was 10-8 against quad 1/quad 2. IU was 8-15.
St. Johns was also 73rd in NetRankings.....IU was 53. Indiana had 6 quad 1 wins...SJU had 5....IU was 42nd in KenPom....SJU was 78th.

Again, argument isn't for IU. IMO, IU didn't deserve a bid. But nor did SJU. MOF, I don't them or Belmont deserved to be in. IMO, NC State and TCU should have gotten those bids.

St. John's resume is just awful.

St. Johns was also 73rd in NetRankings.....IU was 53. Indiana had 6 quad 1 wins...SJU had 5....IU was 42nd in KenPom....SJU was 78th.

Again, argument isn't for IU. IMO, IU didn't deserve a bid. But nor did SJU. MOF, I don't them or Belmont deserved to be in. IMO, NC State and TCU should have gotten those bids.

You keep saying this, but nobody believes you.

You keep saying this, but nobody believes you.
Show me where I said IU deserved to be in? Opposed to how many times I have said they did not. You are reasonably intelligent---I think. So this leads me to believe you are just doing a light trolling job, here. Its not arguing IU should be in. its a comparison of resumes. You know, something that gets done every year. I'm not comparing IU to the field. I am comparing them to "A" team. A team who's resume isn't better; sans a metric or two.

So again, I will say this---Not arguing IU should be in. MOF, I don't think SJU or Nelmont should be in. And I don't think IU should have gotten in OVER them; I think that should have been NC State, UNCG or TCU.

Show me where I said IU deserved to be in? Opposed to how many times I have said they did not. You are reasonably intelligent---I think. So this leads me to believe you are just doing a light trolling job, here. Its not arguing IU should be in. its a comparison of resumes. You know, something that gets done every year. I'm not comparing IU to the field. I am comparing them to "A" team. A team who's resume isn't better; sans a metric or two.

So again, I will say this---Not arguing IU should be in. MOF, I don't think SJU or Nelmont should be in. And I don't think IU should have gotten in OVER them; I think that should have been NC State, UNCG or TCU.

You keep saying things like Belmont and St Johns dont deserve to be in and then name off random stats like their NET and KenPom rank compared to IU. If you compared them to NCSU and TCU then maybe you would be more believable, but even then most people could read between the lines.

I don’t disagree with anything you say. I just responded to your suggestion that IU was better in every single metric. That’s not true.

You keep saying things like Belmont and St Johns dont deserve to be in and then name off random stats like their NET and KenPom rank compared to IU. If you compared them to NCSU and TCU then maybe you would be more believable, but even then most people could read between the lines.
I guess the credit for intelligence I gave you was a mistake on my part. Why would I compare them to NCSU and TCU? I'm not a fan of those schools. Its a simple comparison of the school I root for. I mean if this were MD, would you compare their resumes to MD---or some other bubble schools? I mean would say "of course you would compare them to MD"....But I'm not so sure you would. I'm not sure you can grasp the context. It is that, or you are a recent grad of the "Hail school for Trolling".

I'm comparing IU to SJU/Belmont, because----get this---I'm an IU fan. Even then, I have said multiple times I don't think IU should have been invited. Nor do I think Belmont or SJU should have been. Especially SJU. Their resume is terrible.

If you wanna read about a Belmont/St John's/NC State comparison, go read the NC State fans post in another thread. You can get your fix there.

I don’t disagree with anything you say. I just responded to your suggestion that IU was better in every single metric. That’s not true.
To be fair, I said all but one: Wins. :D Also, wasn't aware that Q1/Q2wins was a metric. My mistake.

I guess the credit for intelligence I gave you was a mistake on my part. Why would I compare them to NCSU and TCU? I'm not a fan of those schools. Its a simple comparison of the school I root for. I mean if this were MD, would you compare their resumes to MD---or some other bubble schools? I mean would say "of course you would compare them to MD"....But I'm not so sure you would. I'm not sure you can grasp the context. It is that, or you are a recent grad of the "Hail school for Trolling".

I'm comparing IU to SJU/Belmont, because----get this---I'm an IU fan. Even then, I have said multiple times I don't think IU should have been invited. Nor do I think Belmont or SJU should have been. Especially SJU. Their resume is terrible.

If you wanna read about a Belmont/St John's/NC State comparison, go read the NC State fans post in another thread. You can get your fix there.

I’m not even trolling. You’re clearly upset that IU isn’t in at 17-15.

I’m not even trolling. You’re clearly upset that IU isn’t in at 17-15.
Not at all. I'm discussing basketball. You are the one searching for an argument. Not me. I gave facts. No opinion. Never said, nor insinuated IU should be in. MOF, I haven't been on here in a few days. Wasn't on here at all yesterday. If it bothered me that much, seemslike yesterday would been a good day to bitch????

Why would I be upset? I was upset when they lost to OSU, yeah. I knew we had to win that game. Once we lost, I knew the NIT was the next stop. No surprise. Just comparing IU's resume with St. John's. If you think thats a bad comparison---say so. Give something other than the trolling statements you have been. Or just as easy, move on. Makes me no difference.

Good luck in the tourney.

Not at all. I'm discussing basketball. You are the one searching for an argument. Not me. I gave facts. No opinion. Never said, nor insinuated IU should be in. MOF, I haven't been on here in a few days. Wasn't on here at all yesterday. If it bothered me that much, seemslike yesterday would been a good day to bitch????

Why would I be upset? I was upset when they lost to OSU, yeah. I knew we had to win that game. Once we lost, I knew the NIT was the next stop. No surprise. Just comparing IU's resume with St. John's. If you think thats a bad comparison---say so. Give something other than the trolling statements you have been. Or just as easy, move on. Makes me no difference.

Good luck in the tourney.

I love how you say I’m dumb and then make erroneous statements like “I gave facts. No opinion”. Saying Belmont and SJU don’t belong is an opinion.

I love how you say I’m dumb and then make erroneous statements like “I gave facts. No opinion”. Saying Belmont and SJU don’t belong is an opinion.
I was speaking in terms of the numbers I provided. Comparing resumes.

Sorry,next time I will do it crayon---And with pictures. Maybe then you'll be able to follow.

That still makes it an opinion Laughing
Wow...that intelligent compliment I gave you was a bad, bad move on my part. Maybe I should send what i said to your manager at Burger King, and he can explain it to you?

Laughing You’re in over your head, but keep digging.
I'm in over my head? I gave you numbers. Not my numbers. A computers numbers. Those numbers are not my opinion. Me saying 2 is greater than 1, isn't an opinion----Its a fact. If you have an issue with that, take that up with the Babylonians.

My goodness I hope you are just really bored, having a slow night at the counter, and just feel like trolling. Otherwise, man.....damn are you stupid.

I'm in over my head? I gave you numbers. Not my numbers. A computers numbers. Those numbers are not my opinion. Me saying 2 is greater than 1, isn't an opinion----Its a fact. If you have an issue with that, take that up with the Babylonians.

My goodness I hope you are just really bored, having a slow night at the counter, and just feel like trolling. Otherwise, man.....damn are you stupid.

I love how you continue to assume I work at Burger King or am currently working the counter.

Reactions: Jaycg15
I love how you continue to assume I work at Burger King or am currently working the counter.
Actually, i don't anymore---Well, not the counter. I mean if you don't understand how numbers work, you have zero business working the counter. So I take that back,.

Fry guy?

I’d rather see teams like Belmont and UNCG get a shot than mediocre major teams like ASU and St. Johns. Those two didn’t deserve sht.

NCAAT matchups was a big reason why, this season with a good seed they could probably do it. beating Tennessee in a 2nd round matchup will be no picnic, but according to some Iowa should be able to beat them with ease because Tennessee doesn't have the right as a 2 seed to beat 10 seed Iowa in the NCAAT because Iowa shouldn't lose to make you stop ripping Fran.

there were some that said that Tennessee should have been a 1 seed. but yeah beating a 10 seed is impossible. according to some of you experts. on who should win, this is the 4th trip and in none of them did Iowa get a seed that put them into a good position to reach the Sweet 16, 1 seed thru the 6 seed is probably the best seed to make the Sweet 16.

to date Iowa has not got one of those seeds, the last Iowa team who was coached by Alfraud whose team received a #3 seed and they lost in the 1st round to a 14 seed.

so its not just Fran, Dr. Tom reached the NCAAT 9 times in 13 seasons and only had 2 Sweet 16 finishes and 1 Elite 8, but he had better Talent when he took over, as the coach before him had gone to the NCAAT in back to back season losing in the 2nd round both seasons.

the 11 seasons before Fran took the HC's job Iowa had been to the NCAAT 3 times with just 1 win and O Sweet 16's.

now you bitch about Fran not making the sweet 16, this is the 4th NCAAT in the last 6 seasons vs 3 in 11 seasons. with a 5th looking very likely for next season. Lute only had 5 NCAAT in 9 seasons and he didn't make his 1st NCAAT till his 5th season and record his 1st NCAAT win till his 6th season.

Gard made the Sweet 16 as a #7 and #8 seed. Took out the #2 and overall #1 seed to do it, respectively. What is Fran’s excuse?

This would have concerned me last year...Not so much this year. We have depth. Plus, I think it helps Phinisee; I think he'll eventually start at PG. Might as well be early.

If Green is out, we still have options:

PG- Phinisee/Durham/Langford...

Race's position is deep. Not concerned there.
Thats solid. I like Green, Romeo, Morgan, Smith and Davis; No Davis, give me Jerome Hunter. Or Fitzner.
Meh...Not so sure about that. THough I love Poole. IU does have Morgan, Davis, SMith and Hunter. I mean, those are some pretty good players.
Hahahah....You suck at trolling too. Archie's a ****ing boss. Pulling the rug out from under Painters feet on recruits. First it was Phinisee....then Anderson....And now Franklin. You have no chance with TJD or Brooks. You had no chance with Romeo. Archie's going in dry on Painter. In other words, there's a new sheriff in town. And he's the boss.

Get use to it, brah.
7-21. Green(1-6) continues to think he can shoot: He cannot. EVeryone else was 6-15. Which is about all this teams really needs. Overall, I was happy with our shooting. Three point shooting wont be as important. We have a lot of options to score the ball.
Shot selection. Bad shots equal bad percentages. We will be just fine from the perimeter. McRoberts has been solid...As has Fitzner. Anderson's a capable shooter. Phinisee can shoot(3-4 tonight). Getting HUnter back will help. But the bottom line is shot selection. Durham and green took about 4-5 three's tonight that were just bad shots, that had very little chance of going in.

Not concerned.
Such a tool. Do you even watch basketball? Or do you just simply follow KenPom, and box scores? I'll bet ya whatever you'd like that IU will be just fine from the perimeter. But go ahead, you use your stats.... A whopping two games into the season, to fit your 'argument". I'll use my eyes, and a little common sense; that and some actual basketball knowledge. IU shot the ball very badly tonight. Never disputed that. Just said I'm not worried. Then gave the reasoning why. But your feelings get hurt to easy to see that. When your numbers and calculations aren't accpted as the truth, you get all upset.Kinda of nerd'ish really. Laughing
This is a fair post. And as of now, FT/3pt shooting has been IU's weakness. I do thin k that changes. Especially so with the FT's. I like our "shooters" of Phinisee, McRoberts, Fitzner, Anderson and Langford. Its awfully early to come to the conclusion that a player like Langford will not improve on his shooting woes; 6-14 FT(80% in HS), and 1-7 from three(37% in HS). SHots just aren't dropping right now. I have little doubt they eventually will. Phinisee, McBob and Fitz are a combined 6-10 from three. Again, very limited sample. But as of now, when those guys shoot, I'm surprised if they miss. It really boils down to shot selection. IU has taken a ton of ill advised 3's. Miller has harped on that. And that's something I think gets fixed. Green has been the leader of this. He's just one bad shot after another. Probably why he's 1-8 on the year.

Overall our shooting has been disappointing. But not to the point of last year. When we couldn't even make GOOD, open shots. I think we have three guys that if you leave open, they are gonna hit a good percentage; Phinisee, McRoberts and Fitz. So I'm just not as worried as I was last year.

You are correct in that these areas could/can show its head versus better teams. No doubt. But same could be said about Purdue. Unless of course you think Ball State is the best team Purdue will play; WHich I doubt you do. With that being said, the shooting just doesn't concern me. Last year it was a must. We just had no one outside of Morgan who could "get his". This year, we have three guys who IMO, can go and "get theirs"; Morgan, Romeo and SMith. So the shooting woes as of now are not that big of a concern. Plus, I think this team has a really good chance to be really, really good defensively.

Its early. But we will find out a lot more about IU in the next two games: Marquette, then @ Arkansas.

tenor.gif

Not sure if mentioned, but Maryland, as a 6 seed, will essentially get a home game in DC if they make to the sweet sixteen/elite 8.

MSU as a 2 seed could have to play abroad game against a 6 seed.

Great job committee!

I don’t think St Johns and AZ st should have been in, I also don’t think IU should have been in. I would have put TCU and NCstate in before but haven’t gone through each metric. Just know they have better wins and losses. AZ St lost to 5 teams ranked 100+ In KP. Been meaning to compare the numbers to see how they got in but haven’t had time at work yet. Possibly today.

Reactions: klize17 and MGC_07
I don’t think St Johns and AZ st should have been in, I also don’t think IU should have been in. I would have put TCU and NCstate in before but haven’t gone through each metric. Just know they have better wins and losses. AZ St lost to 5 teams ranked 100+ In KP. Been meaning to compare the numbers to see how they got in but haven’t had time at work yet. Possibly today.

NC State played the worst non-conference schedule by a long shot. I thought I read they had like 7 games against teams rated 275 it worse. No one to blame but themselves there.

Not sure if mentioned, but Maryland, as a 6 seed, will essentially get a home game in DC if they make to the sweet sixteen/elite 8.

MSU as a 2 seed could have to play abroad game against a 6 seed.

Great job committee!

It’s just dumb that the committee is damn near extending the Big Ten Tournament for 6 teams placing us in the same two brackets. MSU could end up playing Minnesota and Maryland or we get upset and Minnesota goes on tonplay Maryland. It’s just all so asinine. I woke up today and I’m still pissed.

I watched months of basketball and enjoyed the highs and lows of the season and saw MSU win the Big Ten and the Big Ten Tournament. We get Duke’s bracket and get to play a guaranteed rematch in Round of 32 assuming we beat Bradley and then we are likely to play Maryland in DC if they don’t get upset either. Then after that we get Duke.

This sucks. It doesn’t necessarily ruin the season but it really sucks. It just sucks. There’s no better way to say it. I don’t want to watch MSU play rematches. We have a regular season for that to determine seeding. If we stick with this location first idea then we’re going to jam up the East and Midwest brackets with Big Ten teams and we’ll have more rematches. Seed the god damn tournament based on basketball and not geography you assholes. So asinine.

Last edited:
It’s just dumb that the committee is damn near extending the Big Ten Tournament for 6 teams placing us in the same two brackets. MSU could end up playing Minnesota and Maryland or we get upset and Minnesota goes on tonplay Maryland. It’s just all so asinine. I woke up today and I’m still pissed.

I watched months of basketball and enjoyed the highs and lows of the season and saw MSU win the Big Ten and the Big Ten Tournament. We get Duke’s bracket and get to play a guaranteed rematch in Round if 32 assuming we beat Bradley and then we are likely to play Maryland in DC if they don’t get upset either. Then after that we get Duke.

This sucks. It doesn’t necessarily ruin the season but it really sucks. It just sucks. There’s no better way to say it. I don’t want to watch MSU play rematches. We have a regular season for that tondetermine seedling. If we stick with this location first idea then we’re going to jam up the East and Midwest brackets with Bug Ten teams and we’ll have more rematches. Seed the god damn tournament based on basketball and not geography you assholes. So asinine.

Agreed

Only thing i can see that got Az St and St. Johns in was their combined q1/q2 wins. Az st was 11-6, St johns 10-10. TCU was 9-13, NC state 8-9, IU 8-15, UNC G 4-6. Almost every other metric favored the schools that didn't get in.

ADVERTISEMENT