ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edey when you look at advanced stats.
97d47a00-0dd3-432c-8919-425e5f817d0d_text.gif

Huh? That makes no sense. Garza was a 3 pt shooter while Edey is not. That’s the only thing he was better than Edey at. Despite the advantages of shooting 3s, Garza had a lower true shooting percentage while averaging the same number of pts. He wasn’t as good. Who gives a sht where someone scores from. It’s about the end output vs. the input needed to get there.

Defensively, Edey will be 1st team all-B1G and will get his share of B1G DPOY votes. Garza was a complete joke defensively. Don’t you remember everyone on this board making fun of his defense constantly?
"Makes no sense"----Then say, "Garza was a three point shooter---Edey is not."---That's why I said, "overall". Everyting Edey gets is within 5 feet of the rim. Garza had range. Could score off the blocks. And could take his guy off the bounce from the elbow. Edey is none of that. Hes an absolute monster in the post.

"Who cares where you score from"?---Huh? True shooting percentages, etc, etc...are great. But the question isn't who was more efficient/better shooting percentages....Its better offensive player. Look if I shoot everything from 5' in, obviously I am going to have a better shooting percentage---which means higher efficiency rate. So its a misleading stat.

Edey is not that great defensively----this IS where the, "he's just big", plays a role. Very slow laterally. Theres a reason MP keeps him buried on PNR defense.

Edey is dominant. And has developed great footwork, getting good position, and developed a nice little jump hook. But his game is limited offensively. TBH, I am not sure I've ever seen him shoot a jump shot. But when your that good in the post----why would you.

Its not a knock. But I get it. You'll see this as "hating" in him, opposed to what it really is.

"Makes no sense"----Then say, "Garza was a three point shooter---Edey is not."---That's why I said, "overall". Everyting Edey gets is within 5 feet of the rim. Garza had range. Could score off the blocks. And could take his guy off the bounce from the elbow. Edey is none of that. Hes an absolute monster in the post.

"Who cares where you score from"?---Huh? True shooting percentages, etc, etc...are great. But the question isn't who was more efficient/better shooting percentages....Its better offensive player. Look if I shoot everything from 5' in, obviously I am going to have a better shooting percentage---which means higher efficiency rate. So its a misleading stat.

Edey is not that great defensively----this IS where the, "he's just big", plays a role. Very slow laterally. Theres a reason MP keeps him buried on PNR defense.

Edey is dominant. And has developed great footwork, getting good position, and developed a nice little jump hook. But his game is limited offensively. TBH, I am not sure I've ever seen him shoot a jump shot. But when your that good in the post----why would you.

Its not a knock. But I get it. You'll see this as "hating" in him, opposed to what it really is.
BMerOz.gif

This. Garza was a really good college player but he’s not on the same level as Edey. And it’s not that close.
Why are people infatuated with "true shooting this, or that....efficiency this or that, when talking about how good a player is offensively? If I take 20 shots per game from 5 feet, those numbers are going to be very high. Opposed to if I take 20 shots, but half come from 15' and beyond.

You think someone is a better offensive player because they shoot better? EVen if those shots are coming from 5-feet ?

I guess overall Edey is a better offensive player than Dalton Knecht?

I get the efficiency thing----but that doesn't always tell whos the better offensive player. I think Garza's overall game offensively was/is better, than Edey. ...Post game is not close. Edey. He's more than just big; he does a lot of his work before he even gets the ball. People don't understand this.

IMO, neither are/were very good defensively. Especially out of the post. Still give the edge to Edey.
Edey has a chance to make the B1G defensive team. Purdue's defensive efficiency rating is wildly different when he's on the floor vs when he's off of it. Plus, if you like defensive metrics (I don't love them), he's got the highest DBPR in the B1G on Evan Miya and his defensive rating on Sports-reference is 5th.

Edey has a chance to make the B1G defensive team. Purdue's defensive efficiency rating is wildly different when he's on the floor vs when he's off of it. Plus, if you like defensive metrics (I don't love them), he's got the highest DBPR in the B1G on Evan Miya and his defensive rating on Sports-reference is 5th.
AS he should. Hes very disruptive. Has improved his footwork. Hes a problem in the paint, defensively. BUT....and I know ya'll aint gonna like this, but a lot of that is due to his size. He's not very agile...laterally is slow. He rarely blocks anything from help side, i.e. coming over to block a shot.

Hes a very good defender in isolation. But not what I'd call an athletic defender. But when you are 7'4", 300 lbs, well ya don't need to be.

And FTR, I'd take the dude yesterday. I hope like hell hes truly leaving WL.

Huh? That makes no sense. Garza was a 3 pt shooter while Edey is not. That’s the only thing he was better than Edey at. Despite the advantages of shooting 3s, Garza had a lower true shooting percentage while averaging the same number of pts. He wasn’t as good. Who gives a sht where someone scores from. It’s about the end output vs. the input needed to get there.

Defensively, Edey will be 1st team all-B1G and will get his share of B1G DPOY votes. Garza was a complete joke defensively. Don’t you remember everyone on this board making fun of his defense constantly?
Garza was better defensively away from the paint as he is more mobile and quicker. He was better in space offensively and handling the ball. Read my post above as it covers the question well from the Perspective of someone with no dog in the fight

AS he should. Hes very disruptive. Has improved his footwork. Hes a problem in the paint, defensively. BUT....and I know ya'll aint gonna like this, but a lot of that is due to his size. He's not very agile...laterally is slow. He rarely blocks anything from help side, i.e. coming over to block a shot.

Hes a very good defender in isolation. But not what I'd call an athletic defender. But when you are 7'4", 300 lbs, well ya don't need to be.

And FTR, I'd take the dude yesterday. I hope like hell hes truly leaving WL.
Of course it is. But do we say Jamal Shead is an elite defender because of his speed? Because if he were slower, he’d be a worse defender.

I’ll never understand the “because he’s tall” arguments. Of course he’s very good because he’s tall. The same can be said for a lot of other guys and their physical attributes.

Of course it is. But do we say Jamal Shead is an elite defender because of his speed? Because if he were slower, he’d be a worse defender.

I’ll never understand the “because he’s tall” arguments. Of course he’s very good because he’s tall. The same can be said for a lot of other guys and their physical attributes.
P4P is a thing.

Come on, dude. Apples to Oranges, here.

I've never been one to use the, "hes tall" argument. His footwork is good. His timing is good. But laterally, athletic wise, well, no. Doesn't mean hes a bad defender---As I said, he should be on B10 All defensive team.

You guys get to sensitive, here.

Come on, dude. Apples to Oranges, here.

I've never been one to use the, "hes tall" argument. His footwork is good. His timing is good. But laterally, athletic wise, well, no. Doesn't mean hes a bad defender---As I said, he should be on B10 All defensive team.

You guys get to sensitive, here.
Why is it apples to oranges? Aren’t both physical attributes? And I’m not sensitive. I just think it’s a weird stance.

Why is it apples to oranges? Aren’t both physical attributes? And I’m not sensitive. I just think it’s a weird stance.
You are insinuating hes only a good defender because of his speed. Which is not what I said. Plus, hes a guard---different position. Lots of guys are BIG....lots are fast----doesn't make them good defnders. Shead is a great defender for many reasons---speed being one of them.

I said it helps with Edey do to his lack of quickness, athletic ability, agility, etc....

And yeah, you guys get sensitive if people don't slober over Edey.

NBA shouldn’t give DPOY to Wemby.

His 7’5 height, aka the only physical attribute that should cause deductions, takes him out of the running.

Why are people infatuated with "true shooting this, or that....efficiency this or that, when talking about how good a player is offensively? If I take 20 shots per game from 5 feet, those numbers are going to be very high. Opposed to if I take 20 shots, but half come from 15' and beyond.

You think someone is a better offensive player because they shoot better? EVen if those shots are coming from 5-feet ?

I guess overall Edey is a better offensive player than Dalton Knecht?
Because garza’s ability to hit from three and away from the rim are factored into those percentages you’re poo-pooing. If you want a guy that can hit a shot outside of 10 feet then by all means say you want Garza. But if you want the best offensive college player then it is Edey. And yes, Edey is a better offensive player in college than Knect lol

Did I wake up in bizarro world? I really thought people here had a better understanding of analytics. I’d explain it to you, but don’t have the patience today.

Did I wake up in bizarro world? I really thought people here had a better understanding of analytics. I’d explain it to you, but don’t have the patience today.
Butthurt isn’t an analytic

Objectively however would help you guys in this discussion.

Galloway and Leal returning for their 5th year, per sr speeches. They still need to add some guards, Newton getting healthy will help. @IUfanBorden what about this max exodus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT