ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
@IUfanBorden

Saw this posted on another board:

1. Woodson either can’t or won’t install a modern offense that would benefit a shooter like Liam McNeely, and they’ve noticed. Remember the quote from a year ago when Woodson said, “it isn’t my job to find/get shots for Miller Kopp”, or something to that effect. Well, yes it is Your Job, your the coach with a terrible, prehistoric offense and will not adjust.

2. Woodson will not listen to assistants or anyone for that matter within the program. He knows everything and carries himself around like he’s John Wooden. Rumors of IU bringing in someone in some “GM” role won’t matter. Woodson wouldn’t listen to Thad Matta while he was there.

3. Wooden refuses to be aggressive when it comes to recruiting and comes off as lazy. Liam committed back in November and that’s the last time they’ve heard from anyone within the IU program, but specifically Woodson himself. Yeah, Liam is committed, but you have a responsibility to stay in contact and continue “recruiting” them. That’s how it goes.

4. He treats others that are apart of other athletic programs at IU like garbage. He said no when one coach asked him to speak to the team (a simple request someone like Bob Knight wouldn’t hesitate to oblige to). One accomplished female coach, he was particularly nasty to and sees himself as above them. Wouldn’t be caught dead at one of their games. Tip of the iceberg when it comes to stuff like that.

5. He trashes players when it’s convenient for him to do so while rarely taking any responsibility for himself and his lackadaisical coaching. When he publicly trashed Malik Reneau, people noticed, including people from Liam’s camp. Woodson lacks accountability.

6. Dolson wanted to get rid of Woodson, however, Quinn Buckner balked and said “if Archie got 4 years, Mike gets 4 years”. Isn’t the first time Buckner has been in the way or gotten involved instead of letting people like the AD Scott Dolson do His job. This has long been a problem at IU. Kinda like that old saying, “too many chiefs, not enough Indians”. The old head alums and donors don’t care, because Woodson is “one of Bobby’s boys”. Just some amazing logic, can’t make it up.

7. Going back to playing style, Woodson at first said he wanted to go with a faster paced and modern four out, one in offense. He said this at the very beginning. He went against what he said (not the first time). Yet he hasn’t and won’t install a modern offense to attract players needed. Just recently, he said “I still believe college basketball is played inside out”. Which to a degree, is true at the college level, but most teams with good bigs surround them with shooters, have movement in their offense and so on. Woodson values bigs over wing scorers and shooters, a prehistoric mindset.

8. The whole “toxic fan base” chased away Liam McNeely is absolute horse ***** of the highest level. That whole spin came from the people from the podcast “The Hoosier Hysterics”, who were spoon fed that reasoning from the Woodson/Buckner camp. I mean, Woodson wouldn’t through someone under the bus, right (sarcasm)?

9. Expect a Mass Exodus when the season ends. No one wants to play in this prehistoric system. It will be ugly. This staff might have anywhere from 7-10 scholarships to fill and there’s a real chance they mostly strike out on any top players who could help win. IU will have the NIL money in place, just as much if not more than anyone (heard there could be 7-10 million available), but it will not matter most likely.

10. A number of big donors/alums have had enough. Many are talking about cutting back the support or cutting off support entirely to the men’s basketball program until a meaningful change is made. Most will shift their focus to football, women’s basketball or just pull their money/support entirely. I don’t expect anyone to just believe me, this program likes learning the hard way and that’s exactly what’s about to happen going forward.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
@IUfanBorden

1. Woodson either can’t or won’t install a modern offense that would benefit a shooter like Liam McNeely, and they’ve noticed. Remember the quote from a year ago when Woodson said, “it isn’t my job to find/get shots for Miller Kopp”, or something to that effect. Well, yes it is Your Job, your the coach with a terrible, prehistoric offense and will not adjust.

2. Woodson will not listen to assistants or anyone for that matter within the program. He knows everything and carries himself around like he’s John Wooden. Rumors of IU bringing in someone in some “GM” role won’t matter. Woodson wouldn’t listen to Thad Matta while he was there.

3. Wooden refuses to be aggressive when it comes to recruiting and comes off as lazy. Liam committed back in November and that’s the last time they’ve heard from anyone within the IU program, but specifically Woodson himself. Yeah, Liam is committed, but you have a responsibility to stay in contact and continue “recruiting” them. That’s how it goes.

4. He treats others that are apart of other athletic programs at IU like garbage. He said no when one coach asked him to speak to the team (a simple request someone like Bob Knight wouldn’t hesitate to oblige to). One accomplished female coach, he was particularly nasty to and sees himself as above them. Wouldn’t be caught dead at one of their games. Tip of the iceberg when it comes to stuff like that.

5. He trashes players when it’s convenient for him to do so while rarely taking any responsibility for himself and his lackadaisical coaching. When he publicly trashed Malik Reneau, people noticed, including people from Liam’s camp. Woodson lacks accountability.

6. Dolson wanted to get rid of Woodson, however, Quinn Buckner balked and said “if Archie got 4 years, Mike gets 4 years”. Isn’t the first time Buckner has been in the way or gotten involved instead of letting people like the AD Scott Dolson do His job. This has long been a problem at IU. Kinda like that old saying, “too many chiefs, not enough Indians”. The old head alums and donors don’t care, because Woodson is “one of Bobby’s boys”. Just some amazing logic, can’t make it up.

7. Going back to playing style, Woodson at first said he wanted to go with a faster paced and modern four out, one in offense. He said this at the very beginning. He went against what he said (not the first time). Yet he hasn’t and won’t install a modern offense to attract players needed. Just recently, he said “I still believe college basketball is played inside out”. Which to a degree, is true at the college level, but most teams with good bigs surround them with shooters, have movement in their offense and so on. Woodson values bigs over wing scorers and shooters, a prehistoric mindset.

8. The whole “toxic fan base” chased away Liam McNeely is absolute horse ***** of the highest level. That whole spin came from the people from the podcast “The Hoosier Hysterics”, who were spoon fed that reasoning from the Woodson/Buckner camp. I mean, Woodson wouldn’t through someone under the bus, right (sarcasm)?

9. Expect a Mass Exodus when the season ends. No one wants to play in this prehistoric system. It will be ugly. This staff might have anywhere from 7-10 scholarships to fill and there’s a real chance they mostly strike out on any top players who could help win. IU will have the NIL money in place, just as much if not more than anyone (heard there could be 7-10 million available), but it will not matter most likely.

10. A number of big donors/alums have had enough. Many are talking about cutting back the support or cutting off support entirely to the men’s basketball program until a meaningful change is made. Most will shift their focus to football, women’s basketball or just pull their money/support entirely. I don’t expect anyone to just believe me, this program likes learning the hard way and that’s exactly what’s about to happen going forward.
Spot on.

I will add---Team is toxic as ****. No respect for Woodson---AT ALL. Not a "team"---more of a band of "clicks". I've never seen such hostility.

Yet, even with no NCAAT in sight, and even worse---not a single recruit coming, he will keep his job.

Moronic.

Everyone in freak out mode is what's toxic. NIL will ensure another CTC first year never happens.
Right. Fans being upset with this shit show, is the reason its a shit show.

JFC...

Yeah the portal probably saves MW from a CTC type of year....But its still going to be a very long season next year---unless Mgbako/Renau, return. Even then, will be meh at best. Woodson just needs to walk.

We do have an overall mess for reasons that have been discussed to death.

I will say the team is not playing as if it is a “toxic mess” though, they seem to be playing better and more together than they have been all season. .
Winning does that......I've seen this team, up close and personal. Toxic. Not a lot of "like" in this group. Pay very little attention to CMW.

But they are winning----albeit vs shit teams.

Spot on.

I will add---Team is toxic as ****. No respect for Woodson---AT ALL. Not a "team"---more of a band of "clicks". I've never seen such hostility.

Yet, even with no NCAAT in sight, and even worse---not a single recruit coming, he will keep his job.

Moronic.

I had no idea the situation was this toxic. Sucks.

They need to fire him ASAP, especially if he loses all the recruits and NIL donors start to pull their support. It'd be insane to stay loyal to him in that situation, especially if he's as arrogant and hard to deal with as they claim. If they're working with 7-10 mil in NIL right now, they need to move his ass fast and bring in somebody who can take advantage of that. The right coach would turn that thing around instantly.

Winning does that......I've seen this team, up close and personal. Toxic. Not a lot of "like" in this group. Pay very little attention to CMW.

But they are winning----albeit vs shit teams.
Where are your seats? My view is pretty good

I had no idea the situation was this toxic. Sucks.

They need to fire him ASAP, especially if he loses all the recruits and NIL donors start to pull their support. It'd be insane to stay loyal to him in that situation, especially if he's as arrogant and hard to deal with as they claim. If they're working with 7-10 mil in NIL right now, they need to move his ass fast and bring in somebody who can take advantage of that. The right coach would turn that thing around instantly.
There are a lot of issues but the team shows few if any sign of being “toxic” at least so far.

With all the issues, the guys are playing as a team

@IUfanBorden

Some truth in there but 4, 6, and 8 are BS

Which site did you copy this from?

I was thinking about Luka Garza last night, had kind of forgotten of him. Who IYO was better Luka or Edey? Both very comparable
Inside, Edey wins. All-around, Garza was better.

Can't really compare them defensively, because Edey just needs to exist as a tall person to affect the lane.

Of course, that's not gonna help him in the pros, which is wholly unfortunate.

Reactions: ABVolsFan92
I was thinking about Luka Garza last night, had kind of forgotten of him. Who IYO was better Luka or Edey? Both very comparable
They averaged about the same number of points but Edey does it on 3.5/4 less FG attempts per game. Edey the better rebounder by about 3 per game. Edey the better shot blocker, both shoot same % from FT. Edey just gets to the charity stripe more often. Garza was crazy good from 3 especially his senior year on 4 attempts per game, obviously Edey doesn’t shoot from there. Edey about 8% higher overall FG%. Both average same number of assists. Edey the higher rated player on Kenpom KPOY by a pretty good chunk and more game MVP’s each season than Garza.

Both great college players but Edey is pretty easily the more efficient player. Which is crazy because of how efficient Garza was.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABVolsFan92

Can't really compare them defensively, because Edey just needs to exist as a tall person to affect the lane.

This would be my take as well. Edey is dominant and efficient in the paint and can protect the rim. His footwork under the basket has improved immensely.

Garza is a slightly lesser version of this and adds mobility, defense in space, shooting range and better ball handling. Overall the more valuable basketball player.

Both of these guys did a lot of damage in games to my team.

Uhhhh…yeah…no. Edey is the better and more efficient offensive player and is easily far ahead on defense compared to what Garza was. You can’t discount the defensive comparison just because Edey is taller. That’s just absurd. To be honest, Garza was awful on defense.

Uhhhh…yeah…no. Edey is the better and more efficient offensive player
Lol, no he's not.

and is easily far ahead on defense compared to what Garza was.
Lol, no he's not.

You can’t discount the defensive comparison just because Edey is taller.
Lol, sure I can.

That’s just absurd.
Lol, no it's not.

To be honest, Garza was awful on defense.
He played for Iowa, so of course he was.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Can't read the rest of that tweet because the thin skinned dumbass blocked me when I disproved one of his stupid takes with facts a few years ago.
Hes a fukin dip shit, man. Implying LM decommit as a "positive"----**** that blowhard

He said he could make it a positive. I'm assuming the ability to attract one or more guys in the portal that have actual college experience with playing time, NIL, and a need available.
There is nothing positive about losing a Top 15 kid. DD and hwoever else, can spin this however they like.

There actually is but some people just can't understand it.
There could be but I'd wager it's a very low probability comparatively. If losing McNeely freed up a needed scholarship to offer to an impact transfer, I'd be more inclined to agree. But it sounds like IU's going to have an abundance of available slots to offer transfers. Given that, give me a guy who's proven he can fill it up at the highest levels of prep hoops over the 5th transfer you might get.

There actually is but some people just can't understand it.
Enlighten me then. Tell me the possible , positive here of a 5*, Top 15 kid decommitting----being the ONLY incoming recruit you had. In the midst of missing the NCAAT.

What is it that you and DD understand, that the rest of us do not

There could be but I'd wager it's a very low probability comparatively. If losing McNeely freed up a needed scholarship to offer to an impact transfer, I'd be more inclined to agree. But it sounds like IU's going to have an abundance of available slots to offer transfers. Given that, give me a guy who's proven he can fill it up at the highest levels of prep hoops over the 5th transfer you might get.
Those who are in favor of the Woodster can see no issue. Its not like IU was oversigned, and needed room for some stud , via the portal. Its an asinine take.

Uhhhh….no, you’re an idiot. Edey’s efficiency ratings are top tier. If you look at kenpom ratings, no one is on par until you go back 5 years to Zion.
I get the efficiency thing----but that doesn't always tell whos the better offensive player. I think Garza's overall game offensively was/is better, than Edey. ...Post game is not close. Edey. He's more than just big; he does a lot of his work before he even gets the ball. People don't understand this.

IMO, neither are/were very good defensively. Especially out of the post. Still give the edge to Edey.

I get the efficiency thing----but that doesn't always tell whos the better offensive player. I think Garza's overall game offensively was/is better, than Edey. ...Post game is not close. Edey. He's more than just big; he does a lot of his work before he even gets the ball. People don't understand this.

IMO, neither are/were very good defensively. Especially out of the post. Still give the edge to Edey.

Huh? That makes no sense. Garza was a 3 pt shooter while Edey is not. That’s the only thing he was better than Edey at. Despite the advantages of shooting 3s, Garza had a lower true shooting percentage while averaging the same number of pts. He wasn’t as good. Who gives a sht where someone scores from. It’s about the end output vs. the input needed to get there.

Defensively, Edey will be 1st team all-B1G and will get his share of B1G DPOY votes. Garza was a complete joke defensively. Don’t you remember everyone on this board making fun of his defense constantly?

Huh? That makes no sense. Garza was a 3 pt shooter while Edey is not. That’s the only thing he was better than Edey at. Despite the advantages of shooting 3s, Garza had a lower true shooting percentage while averaging the same number of pts. He wasn’t as good. Who gives a sht where someone scores from. It’s about the end output vs. the input needed to get there.

Defensively, Edey will be 1st team all-B1G and will get his share of B1G DPOY votes. Garza was a complete joke defensively. Don’t you remember everyone on this board making fun of his defense constantly?
This. Garza was a really good college player but he’s not on the same level as Edey. And it’s not that close.

You're trying too hard to argue against an Iowa player.

You lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT