ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official B1G In Season Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.
If illinois beats UM/IU then I think we have a good chance to lose to Iowa, but would beat RU.
Well, the two things working in our favor would be less of a home crowd factor, and Iowa probably won't shoot that poorly from the FT line a second time around.

But they'll still have B10 refs to contend with considering what Illinois was allowed to do throughout the game yesterday. Kofi will still legitimately travel (no-call) at least 6 times in the game, and Iowa will still have to contend with your extended forearm blocking defense which is made even more difficult considering Iowa being the much smaller team that still managed to get a 15 pt lead against a more experienced and taller team that plays physical defense just sayin..............

But yeah, sure I agree with you, we got a chance. ;)

His best play ultimately didn’t matter, but I still don’t know how he was able to save that preposterous full court pass from Curbelo with like 10 minutes left in the second half. Hawkins was able to catch it as he was going out of bounds full speed and get the ball to the guy in the corner. Really impressively athletic play.

The two hand block was sick too. He balled out for sure.
I think I speak for all Illinois fans when I say that he should never do that ever again.....

Michigan is 17-13 but has the #3 SOS in the country.

#20 in Sagarin
#25 in Torvik
#28 in BPI
#31 in Kenpom
#31 in NET

If Michigan isn’t considered a top 40 team then something with the system is wrong. But I’m confident the committee will get it right.

Michigan is 17-13 but has the #3 SOS in the country.

#20 in Sagarin
#25 in Torvik
#28 in BPI
#31 in Kenpom
#31 in NET

If Michigan isn’t considered a top 40 team then something with the system is wrong. But I’m confident the committee will get it right.
You seem nervous. With your win at OSU you should be good to go. Lose that and the first one in the BTT and you'd be begging for a first four game.

Reactions: ConqueringHero
Let's see some all-conference picks and awards from this collection of brain surgeons ITT:

Here are mine:

1st Team:
Johnny Davis - WIS (POY)
Kofi Cockburn - ILL
Keegan Murray - IOWA
Jaden Ivey - PUR
EJ Liddell - OSU

2nd Team:
Hunter Dickinson - UM
Zach Edey - PUR
Trayce Jackson-Davis - IU
Ron Harper, Jr. - RUT
Bryce McGowens - NEB

3rd Team:
Fatts Russell - MD
Alphonso Plummer - ILL
Malaki Branham - OSU
Jamison Battle - MIN
Tyler Wahl - WIS/Geo Baker - RUT (I couldn't split this hair)

POY - Johnny Davis - WIS
DPOY - Caleb McConnell - RUT
COY - 1 - Steve Pikiell - RUT; 2 - Greg Gard - WIS; 3 - Brad Underwood - ILL
FOY - 1. Bryce McGowens - NEB; 2 - Malaki Branham - OSU; 3 - Moussa Diabate - UM
I'm just not convinced McGowens is 2nd team all conference or FOY. I think what Branham did was clearly more impressive. Dude shot 28% from three. He just scored a lot because his team sucked. Talented? Sure. But not 2nd team all B1G.

I'd put Plummer or Wahl on 2nd team long before I'd put him there. I could also see Trevion Williams on 3rd team instead of Fatts and maybe McGowens. I could also make an argument for Harrar or Davison in place of Fatts.

Gard likely and deservedly wins the COY in the conference, but Underwood did a hell of a job.

He had guys suspended, hurt, and sick all season long. Last graphic I saw was over 40 games missed by rotation players. He lost his entire assistant staff this offseason. He lost his best player in Ayo and a promising freshman in Adam Miller, yet he was able to coach the team to first place in conference, and he's about to land a top 10 recruiting class. Feel pretty damn good about the future of the team.
Does this mean you are expecting to get Sky Clark?

Let's see some all-conference picks and awards from this collection of brain surgeons ITT:

Here are mine:

1st Team:
Johnny Davis - WIS (POY)
Kofi Cockburn - ILL
Keegan Murray - IOWA
Jaden Ivey - PUR
EJ Liddell - OSU

2nd Team:
Hunter Dickinson - UM
Zach Edey - PUR
Trayce Jackson-Davis - IU
Ron Harper, Jr. - RUT
Bryce McGowens - NEB

3rd Team:
Fatts Russell - MD
Alphonso Plummer - ILL
Malaki Branham - OSU
Jamison Battle - MIN
Tyler Wahl - WIS/Geo Baker - RUT (I couldn't split this hair)

POY - Johnny Davis - WIS
DPOY - Caleb McConnell - RUT
COY - 1 - Steve Pikiell - RUT; 2 - Greg Gard - WIS; 3 - Brad Underwood - ILL
FOY - 1. Bryce McGowens - NEB; 2 - Malaki Branham - OSU; 3 - Moussa Diabate - UM
Edit: Note these are per 40 averages.

Looking at just Johnny Davis, Keegan Murray, and Kofi in h2h:

WLFGFGAFG%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPTS
Keegan
0​
3​
9.2​
20.4​
0.45​
1.2​
5.8​
6.9​
0.4​
1.5​
3.5​
1.9​
26.2​
Johnny
1​
1​
8.3​
20.6​
0.41​
3.9​
9.4​
13.3​
3.9​
0.0​
0.0​
2.2​
26.7​
Kofi
3​
0​
12.8​
19.8​
0.65​
5.8​
12.4​
18.1​
0.8​
0.0​
1.6​
2.1​
30.9​

Overall conference
WLFGFGAFG%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPTSORtg
Keegan
12​
8​
10.1​
19.0​
0.53​
10.2​
1.5​
1.4​
2.6​
1.3​
27.3​
127.6​
Johnny
15​
5​
8.1​
17.9​
0.45​
14.1​
3.8​
1.9​
1.1​
3.9​
34.8​
105.9​
Kofi
15​
5​
10.9​
18.3​
0.60​
14.1​
1.1​
1.1​
1.1​
3.0​
27.9​
116.6​

This is a lot closer race on paper than in the media. Think Davis gets the nod because of Wisconsin's deficiencies outside of him and his big games.

Last edited:
Gard likely and deservedly wins the COY in the conference, but Underwood did a hell of a job.

He had guys suspended, hurt, and sick all season long. Last graphic I saw was over 40 games missed by rotation players. He lost his entire assistant staff this offseason. He lost his best player in Ayo and a promising freshman in Adam Miller, yet he was able to coach the team to first place in conference, and he's about to land a top 10 recruiting class. Feel pretty damn good about the future of the team.
He certainly did a good job but we can’t overstate how vital it was getting Williams and Frazier back. That NCAA ruling had a huge impact on the conference race this year.

Reactions: Jaycg15
He certainly did a good job but we can’t overstate how vital it was getting Williams and Frazier back. That NCAA ruling had a huge impact on the conference race this year.
Yep, Underwood's philosophy of getting upperclassmen really paid off.

Reactions: boiler1987
I'm just not convinced McGowens is 2nd team all conference or FOY. I think what Branham did was clearly more impressive. Dude shot 28% from three. He just scored a lot because his team sucked. Talented? Sure. But not 2nd team all B1G.

I'd put Plummer or Wahl on 2nd team long before I'd put him there. I could also see Trevion Williams on 3rd team instead of Fatts and maybe McGowens. I could also make an argument for Harrar or Davison in place of Fatts.
Totally fair critique - for my money, what McGowens did with no real talent around him was more impressive than Branham playing alongside an All-American.

Plus, McGowens closing the season with seven 20+ point performances in his last 12 games is pretty damn impressive; chucker or not.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Totally fair critique - for my money, what McGowens did with no real talent around him was more impressive than Branham playing alongside an All-American.

Plus, McGowens closing the season with seven 20+ point performances in his last 12 games is pretty damn impressive; chucker or not.
How can you not be a chucker when you're that good on that team?

Reactions: CardinalBoiler
Looking at just Johnny Davis, Keegan Murray, and Kofi in h2h:

WLFGFGAFG%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPTS
Keegan
0​
3​
9.2​
20.4​
0.45​
1.2​
5.8​
6.9​
0.4​
1.5​
3.5​
1.9​
26.2​
Johnny
1​
1​
8.3​
20.6​
0.41​
3.9​
9.4​
13.3​
3.9​
0.0​
0.0​
2.2​
26.7​
Kofi
3​
0​
12.8​
19.8​
0.65​
5.8​
12.4​
18.1​
0.8​
0.0​
1.6​
2.1​
30.9​

Overall conference
WLFGFGAFG%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPTSORtg
Keegan
12​
8​
10.1​
19.0​
0.53​
10.2​
1.5​
1.4​
2.6​
1.3​
27.3​
127.6​
Johnny
15​
5​
8.1​
17.9​
0.45​
14.1​
3.8​
1.9​
1.1​
3.9​
34.8​
105.9​
Kofi
15​
5​
10.9​
18.3​
0.60​
14.1​
1.1​
1.1​
1.1​
3.0​
27.9​
116.6​

This is a lot closer race on paper than in the media. Think Davis gets the nod because of Wisconsin's deficiencies outside of him and his big games.
Davis got the nod in my mind because of the roster he dragged to a conference title.

Also, are those numbers in the h2h area per-40?

Purdue has the option to do the same thing next year with Sasha, Williams, and Hunter.

Purdue has the option to do the same thing next year with Sasha, Williams, and Hunter.
They all said earlier this year they are moving on. I could see Hunter maybe changing his mind but I doubt it.

I was all for giving players an extra year if their season was cancelled altogether or maybe if the majority of it was cancelled. But it was wild to give an extra year to all D1 athletes. I just didn't think it was necessary.

And I say that knowing that Purdue will benefit in football by getting a potential all league QB back for a 6th year.

Not comparable situations though. By my count, Illinois has 14 guys on scholarship this year. Next year you can have guys use a covid year but you have to be at the 13 scholarship limit so any of Sasha, Williams, or Hunter coming back would mean one less incoming freshman. Illinois didn’t have to worry about that this year.

Going to be pretty funny watching guys complain about it this season while not realizing the benefits teams will receive over the next 3 years because of it.

They all said earlier this year they are moving on. I could see Hunter maybe changing his mind but I doubt it.

I was all for giving players an extra year if their season was cancelled altogether or maybe if the majority of it was cancelled. But it was wild to give an extra year to all D1 athletes. I just didn't think it was necessary.

And I say that knowing that Purdue will benefit in football by getting a potential all league QB back for a 6th year.

Giving basketball players an extra year because like 15% of teams that would’ve made the tournament didn’t get to play was an overstep IMO. And yes I say that knowing we’ll benefit from getting AOC back next year but football was more impacted by it than basketball.

Not comparable situations though. By my count, Illinois has 14 guys on scholarship this year. Next year you can have guys use a covid year but you have to be at the 13 scholarship limit so any of Sasha, Williams, or Hunter coming back would mean one less incoming freshman. Illinois didn’t have to worry about that this year.
You played with the same rules this year, and bumping the 13th guy off of scholarship isn't going to be that big of a loss for a year when you're bringing back one of those three. Not to mention, our 14th scholarship player missed the entire year with an injury.

Going to be pretty funny watching guys complain about it this season while not realizing the benefits teams will receive over the next 3 years because of it.

Gets tougher moving forward though due to having to be at the 13 scholarship limit though.

Gets tougher moving forward though due to having to be at the 13 scholarship limit though.
If we were at 13, we would've creaned Brandon Lieb, and he's likely to transfer down this year anyway. It's not like we won the conference championship because a guy that played 10 minutes the entire conference season was still on the roster.

You played with the same rules this year, and bumping the 13th guy off of scholarship isn't going to be that big of a loss for a year when you're bringing back one of those three. Not to mention, our 14th scholarship player missed the entire year with an injury.

If the limit had been 13 this year, do you think your players at the bottom of the totem pole would’ve just accepted losing their scholarship? Or would someone like Williams or Frazier possibly moved on if that had been the case?

If the limit had been 13 this year, do you think your players at the bottom of the totem pole would’ve just accepted losing their scholarship? Or would someone like Williams or Frazier possibly moved on if that had been the case?
Like I said, Brandon Lieb would've transferred a year earlier.

If I could pick one of the 3 to come back, it’d be Hunter honestly. That’s one of our biggest needs moving forward. Sasha and Williams are more replaceable in the short term. But Williams will likely be a second round pick and Sasha can play overseas for awhile and make good money.

How is it not comparable? Purdue has the option to do the exact same thing as do every other school. It's not Illinois' fault their players took advantage of the rule.

Who cares about projected scholarship numbers in the immediate transfer era? Very likely you will be losing players you are currently penciling into your roster for next year (as will everyone else).

Reactions: cmore79
Other notes on offensive and defensive PPP stats and rankings:

Offense
PlayerPossessionsPointsPPPRank
Cockburn4815171.07592%
Murray5696861.20699%
Davis585555.94971%

Defense
PlayerPossessionsPointsPPPRank
Cockburn1731140.65992%
Murray1731710.98814%
Davis2342040.87241%

To summarize:
Cockburn 92% offense and 92% defense. Net 0.416 ppp.
Murray 99% offense and 14% defense. Net 0.218 ppp.
Davis 71% offense and 41% defense. Net .077 ppp.

Cockburn's by far the most impactful of the group from a possession by possession standpoint.

Final regular season AP poll:

9 Purdue
12 Wisconsin
16 Illinois
24 Iowa
32 OSU
35 Rutgers

Final regular season AP poll:

9 Purdue
12 Wisconsin
16 Illinois
24 Iowa