***Official 2019 B1G Off Season thread***

Who is the worst Purdue poster?

• Pig1960

• Proudopete

• Joe for prez

• JohnHoosierr

• Graham Couch

Results are only viewable after voting.
So Cooley got a new contract because Michigan interviewed him? Seems odd.

Michigan interviewed him. He likely accepts if Michigan offers. Providence offers him extension knowing this. Cooley knows Howard is Michigan’s top choice and accepts the Providence offer.

If you think that string of events seems odd you’re an idiot.

Back to the shitter for you Gil...
the summer is not over and with 2 rides to give anything can happen, but Iowa still has 4 top 100 4*'s and 5 overall by ESPN. the only starter that's not a 4* is 7'0 250+ lb Nunge.

we will see just how good 4* by ESPN Toussaint is, AND I am not counting on Jordan being back healthy in time for the 19-20 season as he has stated that he wants to be fully healthy before playing again.

Michigan interviewed him. He likely accepts if Michigan offers. Providence offers him extension knowing this. Cooley knows Howard is Michigan’s top choice and accepts the Providence offer.

Yep, other than Jay Wright at Nova, there isn’t a single Big East coach that would actually turn down the Mich job.

When all you have are terrible choices you try to jump in the worst. This just happens to be a choice with zero heading coaching experience and never recruited a day In his life

So all the names associated with the UM job were pipedreams?

When all you have are terrible choices you try to jump in the worst. This just happens to be a choice with zero heading coaching experience and never recruited a day In his life
didn't UNCheat hire a former player to be their HC then fired him and replaced him with Roy William or did they just hire RW from Kansas?

im predicting an undefeated home season for you guys
its been done before, but I will wait to see if Fran can bring in a GT, Fran has started a true FR at the PG spot and did pretty good
12-13 season Gesell ended up with 25 wins and lost in the NIT Championship game but FR Woodbury, FR Clemmons, JR Marble and SO White were the other 3 starters, that group recorded the 33rd adjusted defense,

at least season Toussaint will be the only FR starter on this years team.

So they could have hired a proven college coach and they will instead hire someone with no experience on the college level, no head coaching experience and his only qualification is he’s a former Michigan player?

I’ll take Howard over Cooley and Smart. Sorry you disagree. Hope you don’t waste too much time thinking about it.

So they could have hired a proven college coach and they will instead hire someone with no experience on the college level, no head coaching experience and his only qualification is he’s a former Michigan player?
It’s not like Cooley is that impressive. Theoretically with a better brand he could recruit really well, but he isn’t known as an Xs and Os guy. Howard should be able to recruit just as well or better while the coaching side is an unknown that could go either way. It’s not like he has zero experience. He’s been an assistant coach in the league.

Reactions: RichardMassive
It’s not like Cooley is that impressive. Theoretically with a better brand he could recruit really well, but he isn’t known as an Xs and Os guy. Howard should be able to recruit just as well or better while the coaching side is an unknown that could go either way. It’s not like he has zero experience. He’s been an assistant coach in the league.

I think Cooley would have been a great hire. What he’s done at Providence has been impressive.

I think Cooley would have been a great hire. What he’s done at Providence has been impressive.
Eh, there are plenty of guys that do well in lessor leagues, but can’t hack it once they move up. I could be wrong, but Cooley seems to be an average in game coach, so you would have to bet on him to be an elite recruiter. The swag that Howard brings should allow him to recruit just as well and at least the coaching side is an unknown instead of just average. More upside, but probably lower downside.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Penny Hardaway had years of AAU experience and connections and hired Mike Miller who had the same.

This is more like Avery Johnson (who had NBA head coaching experience) or Chris Mullin. How did that work out?
So AAU experience trumps NBA assistant coaching experience?

Penny Hardaway had years of AAU experience and connections and hired Mike Miller who had the same.

This is more like Avery Johnson (who had NBA head coaching experience) or Chris Mullin. How did that work out?

I think the sample size is too small to really form conclusions and each case obviously hasn’t unique factors.

Been there for a decade and he’s 1-5 in the ncaa tournament. If we hired him you’d be here shitting on that, too. That’s what you do.

There’s the Hail that makes up BS. This isn’t me saying Howard will be fired within 4 years like you said Holtmann would.

Cooley taking them to the Tournament give times is unbelievable.

So AAU experience trumps NBA assistant coaching experience?

When it comes to recruiting? Abso****inglutely it does

Penny hasn't show he can coach by the way. Making the NIT in AAC means nothing.

Looks like we are going bring back an assistant from early to mid 90s um era. We are definitely going full on bag man mode.
Man, I really hope not. One thing I really admired about Beilein was that he ran a clean program, just like Painter, but with even more success.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Eh, there are plenty of guys that do well in lessor leagues, but can’t hack it once they move up. I could be wrong, but Cooley seems to be an average in game coach, so you would have to bet on him to be an elite recruiter. The swag that Howard brings should allow him to recruit just as well and at least the coaching side is an unknown instead of just average. More upside, but probably lower downside.

Cooley is not an average in game coach IMO. He’s been a D1 head coach for thirteen years and made the tourney 5 times. In Beilein’s first thirteen he made 3 tournaments.

Perhaps Howard will be excellent but history usually isn’t kind to former NBA stars trying to be College Head Coaches.

they coached at alabama and st johns. garbage programs compared to michigan

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
No. That was you who judged him after one season.
Wtf are you talking about. you questioned michigan hiring a coach who has zero college experience and zero head coaching experience. penny was that guy, and no one can question how he's lifted memphis in the last year-plus, in recruiting and how the program is viewed nationally. you thought he was going to take that roster in year 1 and do something? lol

Seems more likely he was offered and used that to get a better contract from Providence and gets to stay home. Michigan then goes for the next guy on the list.

Really hoping to land 1 or 2 of Jalen Wilson and Jaden McDaniels. Land one and Michigan is a tournament lock. Land both and we’ll be pretty damn good.

Seems more likely he was offered and used that to get a better contract from Providence and gets to stay home. Michigan then goes for the next guy on the list.

You think Michigan offered Cooley before even interviewing Juwan Howard?

Ok, bud. You go ahead and think that.

ADVERTISEMENT