ADVERTISEMENT

No Clown Team this Week....so far.

Hey damnit, we have tarantulas out in western Kansas. Not saying they are the Goliath Birdeating spiders or the Cobalt Blue tarantulas, but they're tarantulas. We are well under our quota of F5 tornadoes this year though. I suppose it's been a good run of bad luck for Kansas.
We have them too. I catch them all the time around October when they are migrating looking for ladies. The cobalt blues are awesome, probably my favorite. I like the Mexican red knee too.

Congrats on your win Tuesday night Kansas!

No, just no! I wish I could buy into that but man, Tuesday night might be totally different. I actually have KU winning by pulling away late. I don't anticipate UK playing the same way in the Champions Classic.

You are actually going downhill or uphill in Kansas the entire time on I-70 but don't even feel it or see it.
Like that in Eastern Colorado as well.

Denver is 5200
Goodland is 3600
Kansas City is 900

You are dropping 4300 feet in elevation and don't even see it or feel it
That kind of gradual elevation change over a range of 400+ miles = flat.

True.
But for water not so much.
All to drain towards the Mississippi. Then on the other side of the Mississippi it is the opposite East to west decline
I live in the Mojave desert. What is this "water" you speak of? 😁 Vegas is on a current streak of 223 consecutive days without measurable rain. The old record was 150 in 1959.

We have them too. I catch them all the time around October when they are migrating looking for ladies. The cobalt blues are awesome, probably my favorite. I like the Mexican red knee too.

My dad went through a phase of collecting tarantulas. He had both a cobalt blue and a goliath birdeater. The cobalt was cool as hell looking but my god, its temper was nothing to f*ck with. The birdeater was surprisingly more docile than the cobalt. The Mexican Red Knees are great to hold. The ones found in Kansas have migrated, and you're right, they are everywhere now. Living in central Kansas, I found a few in my backyard this last summer. They didn't mind being held (briefly that is!).

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
My dad went through a phase of collecting tarantulas. He had both a cobalt blue and a goliath birdeater. The cobalt was cool as hell looking but my god, its temper was nothing to f*ck with. The birdeater was surprisingly more docile than the cobalt. The Mexican Red Knees are great to hold. The ones found in Kansas have migrated, and you're right, they are everywhere now. Living in central Kansas, I found a few in my backyard this last summer. They didn't mind being held (briefly that is!).
Yeah, the blues are pretty aggressive and their venom is one of the more potent among tarantulas. I always handle the desert tarantulas. They are pretty tame and won't try and bite you unless you try to squish them or something. I just let them crawl into my hand rather than grabbing them.

Reactions: RockChalkRally
Yeah, the blues are pretty aggressive and their venom is one of the more potent among tarantulas. I always handle the desert tarantulas. They are pretty tame and won't try and bite you unless you try to squish them or something. I just let them crawl into my hand rather than grabbing them.

That's what surprised me about the desert tarantulas. Them being so mellow caught me off guard. The blue's will attack anything and everything no matter what is put in front of them. Their venom compliments that perfectly.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Probably see the banana spider in Kansas as well.
One of the weirdest spiders.

Huge and bright yellow

Those banana spiders or Brazilian Wandering Spiders do actually end up in grocery stores across the country from time to time. Sometimes those little bastards crawl up in batches of bananas as they're being boxed up an wind up getting shipped up here. The scary thing is they are one of the most poisonous spiders in the world.

Those banana spiders or Brazilian Wandering Spiders do actually end up in grocery stores across the country from time to time. Sometimes those little bastards crawl up in batches of bananas as they're being boxed up an wind up getting shipped up here. The scary thing is they are one of the most poisonous spiders in the world.

One of the ways. But they have been here for awhile because of the Gulf Coast ports.
But they have migrated up North from the Gulf Coast.
You see some up towards Oklahoma so was thinking they move even more towards Kansas.
Actually saw more up in Oklahoma than in Texas or Louisiana. Just not as big.

July and August is the time to see them in wooded areas.
Probably more towards Southeastern Kansas

One of the ways. But they have been here for awhile because of the Gulf Coast ports.
But they have migrated up North from the Gulf Coast.
You see some up towards Oklahoma so was thinking they move even more towards Kansas.
Actually saw more up in Oklahoma than in Texas or Louisiana. Just not as big.

July and August is the time to see them in wooded areas.
Probably more towards Southeastern Kansas

It also doesn't help those who keep specially order them and keep them as "pets". What ends up happening is those same people end up letting them loose in the wild.

It also doesn't help those who keep specially order them and keep them as "pets". What ends up happening is those same people end up letting them loose in the wild.

That is how I found two good size monitor lizards on the side of my house a few months ago
Friend of mine said it was good luck but haven't been blessed yet.

We have no snakes in Alaska..and only 5 types of spiders with some of the lowest poisonous levels (they are rated at almost nil). Of course we have many other 'wildlife' that can kill you.

You are actually going downhill or uphill in Kansas the entire time on I-70 but don't even feel it or see it.
Like that in Eastern Colorado as well.

Denver is 5200
Goodland is 3600
Kansas City is 900

You are dropping 4300 feet in elevation and don't even see it or feel it
That is now my favorite thing about Kansas.

Note to self, "only drive east thru Kansas.

Last edited:
No clown team this weekend. Everything went pretty much according to script.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Has UK had a lot of missed practices with Covid? That could be a real problem for a team with a lot of one and dones.

ADVERTISEMENT