ADVERTISEMENT

New thread because New Bombshell tweets

Definitely not wrong about that. UMass to NBA then Memphis to UK. Definite upgrades. But tarnished his image some with leaving shortly after that. Always made him appear like he's bailing on tough situations. Whether right or wrong It's a all about perception.
I can't disagree with this at all. It was a bad look on both occasions.

Idk anything about Camby. Don't know anything about whether Cal was involved in getting Rose eligible. I do know that Cal and Memphis were guilty of concealing Rose's questionable SAT scores from the NCAA. This was a big reason (along with Memphis lying to the NCAA and Rose not cooperating with the NCAA investigation) why Memphis had to vacate that entire season.

Idk about Cal cheating or anything. It just always looked bad on his part that he bailed shortly before or after his schools were put on probation.
Timing may not have been good, but there isn't a coach in America that wouldn't leave UMass to coach in the NBA or Memphis for UK. People thinking he left those programs just to skirt penalties make me laugh. You don't get offered jobs like those every day.

That’s not what I heard. Regardless, he left two programs in shambles so he deserves everything that’s thrown his way.

Memphis wasn’t in shambles. They made the post season 4 of the next 5 years with a first time head coach. Calipari left Memphis in great condition.

I’m not sure about Umass. They weren’t put on probation and no penalties were levied against them. The ncaa doesn’t consider vacated games a punishment.

Untrue.
Cal and Memphis weren't guilty of anything. It was Rose. He refused to talk to the NCAA, the NCAA told him to retake the SAT or you will be deemed ineligible. Rose declined to take the test.
This article doesn’t go into the specifics with regard to the correspondence between Rose and the NCAA, but you get the point. This is just the first story that came up on Google.
I'm in disbelief, I thought these were well known facts.
Calipari was not charged with a single thing in either case (Rose or Camby):

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=4412279

Memphis must vacate its NCAA-record 2007-08 season and serve three years' probation because of NCAA rules violations, the NCAA committee on infractions announced Thursday.

Under former coach John Calipari, Memphis won a record 38 games that season and reached the NCAA championship game.

Memphis president Shirley Raines said shortly after the NCAA's announcement that the school is appealing what she called an unfair penalty.

"We know the rules," Raines said. "We did our due diligence. We did everything we could to determine the student-athlete was eligible and that the rules were being followed."
In May, the NCAA accused Memphis of several major infractions under Calipari, including a fraudulent SAT score by a player, later revealed to be Derrick Rose, and providing close to $1,700 in free travel to Rose's brother, Reggie.

Paul Dee, the chairman for the committee on infractions, said in a teleconference that even though Memphis was not aware of Rose's questionable test score until midway through his freshman year, once the score was invalidated by Educational Testing Service, Rose no longer met the initial eligibility standards.

"This is a situation of strict liability," Dee said. "If he is ineligible and does not meet initial requirements, the penalties are related back to that time and a determination is then made: Did he play in any contests after the fact? In this case, he did."
Calipari was not penalized because he was never included in the original notice of allegations, Dee said. But Dee did stress that vacating the record books carries with it an implied punishment.

Calipari is the first head coach to have vacated Final Four appearances with two different schools. His 1996 Massachusetts team met the same fate because of NCAA rule violations, even though Calipari was not implicated in that instance, either. Memphis also suffered the same fate in 1985, when it was stripped of its NCAA tournament appearance then because of rules violations.
Dee said: "Whenever records are vacated, that is a strong indication that there was a problem. Because there were no allegations against the coach, we did not consider any, but whenever you have a situation that affects a team's record or an individual's personal record, it will have an impact on that individual."

Though hit with a failure-to-monitor charge, Memphis will escape a postseason ban or loss of scholarships.

However, the university will be on probation until 2012.

"That means the university is on heightened review," Dee said of the probation. "Probably the most important thing about probation is once a school goes on probation, if they commit another major violation within five years, they are subject to a special review and substantially harsher penalties."

In addition to the lost season, Memphis must return to Conference USA the 2008 NCAA tournament money it received. The Tigers' Final Four run ended with an overtime loss to Kansas in the championship game.
Memphis also will be prevented from receiving future shares doled out in the conference's revenue-sharing program -- a total loss estimated at $530,000 on top of the $85,000 already paid by the school. If Memphis loses its appeal, athletic director R.C. Johnson said approximately $300,000 in bonus money Calipari earned from that season would be paid back.

Josh Pastner, who did not have knowledge of the NCAA investigation when he joined Calipari's staff before last season, said he has spoken with his recruits and that none will back out of their commitments.

"The bottom line is there's so much to look forward to with the current team and the future of this team," Pastner told ESPN.com following the NCAA's announcement. "There are no loss of scholarships, no effect on the future of our program. We are on the same level playing field as every other team in the country."
Despite his optimism, Pastner, who had no head-coaching experience when he succeeded Calipari, acknowledged that vacating its Final Four run would have an effect on the program.

"There are no bullets dodged here," he said. "It still hurts. I wasn't here, but it affects a lot of student-athletes, coaches, university officials and fans. There's still a ruling that came down against us, and even though it's in the past and I wasn't here, it still involves the university and I'm part of [this] university."

Memphis originally received the notice of allegations on Jan. 16 and appeared before the committee in June. The primary academic allegation against Rose is that someone stood in for him and took the SAT that Rose was supposed to take, even though the NCAA Eligibility Center later cleared Rose to play.

In its report, the NCAA did not identify the ineligible player as Rose. He was taken by the Chicago Bulls as the No. 1 pick in the 2008 draft and went on to win the NBA Rookie of the Year award.

That article focuses on Rose and Memphis response. It doesn't go into detail. Now sadly I can't find the article I read on it that gives all the details. Just bits and pieces from Rose's wiki page on it.

The one thing Memphis did wrong was they did not report Rose's SAT scores under question to the NCAA. The learned his SAT scores were under investigation shortly after Rose enrolled at Memphis. When first notified by the NCAA that Rose was being called ineligible they told the NCAA they did not know about this and were shocked. Later they finally told the NCAA that they learned about Rose's questionable SAT score shortly after Rose enrolled and they conducted their own investigation into his scores and determined they had no proof that someone else took Rose's test. NCAA was not notified of these questionable scores. Memphis contended because they know the rules and did their own investigation and cleared Rose that they should not be held accountable for Rose's actions.

Now sorry. That doesn't prove Cal cheated or knew or anything like that. Just lumped Cal and Memphis together on that.

That article focuses on Rose and Memphis response. It doesn't go into detail. Now sadly I can't find the article I read on it that gives all the details. Just bits and pieces from Rose's wiki page on it.

The one thing Memphis did wrong was they did not report Rose's SAT scores under question to the NCAA. The learned his SAT scores were under investigation shortly after Rose enrolled at Memphis. When first notified by the NCAA that Rose was being called ineligible they told the NCAA they did not know about this and were shocked. Later they finally told the NCAA that they learned about Rose's questionable SAT score shortly after Rose enrolled and they conducted their own investigation into his scores and determined they had no proof that someone else took Rose's test. NCAA was not notified of these questionable scores. Memphis contended because they know the rules and did their own investigation and cleared Rose that they should not be held accountable for Rose's actions.

Now sorry. That doesn't prove Cal cheated or knew or anything like that. Just lumped Cal and Memphis together on that.
The NCAA cleared Rose twice. Memphis asked them to clear Rose. .twice. Then they come back in May with "new information".
To me, Rose hung Memphis and Cal out to dry to save his own hyde. That's my opinion on that, but the bottom line is it was proven that Cal knew nothing about the SAT issue and was never charged with anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: kl40504
No, I don't think Calipari or UK is paying players. I just don't. The UK compliant office, headed up by Sandy Bell, doesn't play and there's simply no reason for Cal to put everything on the line just to pay a player.
Until there is actual proof that it's happening, I'd be a real ass if I accused him, or anyone, of being a cheater. I think it's crap to assume someone is cheating or paying players when there's absolutely nothing that proves it's happening.
But I get that people like you would think that way.

Oh, but Bill Self would put everything on the line? Why?

Have you forgotten that your program has been involved in several (known) scandals throughout its history? That Sutton was caught red-handed paying players? Ah, but things are diffffferent now. This is Cal after all. Worldwide Wes's buddy. There have been players who took impermissable benefits or cheated at EVERY school at which he's coached (including Kentucky w/ Noel, Knox, Bam), strong rumors of Anthony Davis receiving 200k, and every year he gets commits from future NBA stars. He's enjoyed literally twice as much talent as anyone else (at least anyone not named Duke). But somehow he convinced all these dudes to play for free (or had zero knowledge of them accepting money) in everyone's top destinations Memphis TN and Lexington Kentucky, while Bill Self and others have to cheat to get a fraction of this talent. Sounds rational.

Bottom line: Your fanbase is desperate to be vindicated because Kentucky basketball is your identity. FFS it's a game. Played by 18-year-olds,

Bill can still hide behind "innocent until proven guilty" too. Because the testimony under oath is that Self and the staff had no knowledge of payments. The FBI's own reports labeled KU a "victim," remember?

But KU fans aren't burying their heads in the sand. Anyone who opens their eyes can see how this stuff works. Aside from that, as I've said, I've talked to a former AAU coach who confirmed it. If you don't believe that, take it from this guy:

Calipari's own words tell you that it's pervasive:

"If we have selective investigations and selective enforcement, it's not going to change."

But yeah...the guy who has landed by far the most hyped recruits is the only clean one. Sure, buddy!

Have you forgotten that your program has been involved in several (known) scandals throughout its history? That Sutton was caught red-handed paying players? Ah, but things are diffffferent now. This is Cal after all. Worldwide Wes's buddy. There have been players who took impermissable benefits or cheated at EVERY school at which he's coached (including Kentucky w/ Noel, Knox, Bam), strong rumors of Anthony Davis receiving 200k, and every year he gets commits from future NBA stars. He's enjoyed literally twice as much talent as anyone else (at least anyone not named Duke). But somehow he convinced all these dudes to play for free (or had zero knowledge of them accepting money) in everyone's top destinations Memphis TN and Lexington Kentucky, while Bill Self and others have to cheat to get a fraction of this talent. Sounds rational.

Bottom line: Your fanbase is desperate to be vindicated because Kentucky basketball is your identity. FFS it's a game. Played by 18-year-olds,

Bill can still hide behind "innocent until proven guilty" too. Because the testimony under oath is that Self and the staff had no knowledge of payments. The FBI's own reports labeled KU a "victim," remember?

But KU fans aren't burying their heads in the sand. Anyone who opens their eyes can see how this stuff works. Aside from that, as I've said, I've talked to a former AAU coach who confirmed it. If you don't believe that, take it from this guy:

"If we have selective investigations and selective enforcement, it's not going to change."

But yeah...the guy who has landed by far the most hyped recruits is the only clean one. Sure, buddy!
You seem upset. Log off, go outside, get some air.
Check back in, let us know if you are ok.

You seem upset. Log off, go outside, get some air.
Check back in, let us know if you are ok.

I'm actually scared for the lives of the entire Kentucky fanbase. If the FBI and NCAA hammer Cal, they'll be falling from cliffs like lemmings.

I'm actually scared for the lives of the entire Kentucky fanbase. If the FBI and NCAA hammer Cal, they'll be falling from cliffs like lemmings.
You're trying pretty hard to spin this one, especially since the magnifying glass is on Self/KU right now, not Cal/UK. Everyone knows nearly all your posts are flames at UK, but you may want to re-think this one considering the precarious position your team is in right now.

Thanks for your concern. When we see Cals text messages like the ones Self, I'll get my jumping shoes on.
As of now, Self has been caught red handed, quit spinning on what you want to happen vs what is happening.

Reactions: JC for 3
You're trying pretty hard to spin this one, especially since the magnifying glass is on Self/KU right now, not Cal/UK.

At the moment it is.

I just think it's hilarious.

Joe CBB fan: Cal is the dirtiest dude out there.

Kentucky fans circa 2009: Cal is the dirtiest dude out there.

Kentucky fans now: Cal is the only clean dude.

You're trying pretty hard to spin this one, especially since the magnifying glass is on Self/KU right now, not Cal/UK. Everyone knows nearly all your posts are flames at UK, but you may want to re-think this one considering the precarious position your team is in right now.

Rethink what?

My opinion is that Self knew about payments for De Sousa and probably others.

College basketball is dirty. Needs to be cleaned up. Maybe some good will come from all this.

If people want to sit on their high horse pretending that either this isn't pervasive or that Calipari has never cheated, go ahead. It just goes against any common sense.

Self got caught free texting like a teenage girl, all giddy, telling his man, "go get me some real players " wtf
Cal, K, and Ol Roy tell their kids to wait 9 months, the million dollar contract is coming.
This is a year away from getting resolved, enjoy your season. The NCAA has no clue how to fix this, you should tell Self to deny deny deny, and that the whole student body was offered the same benefits. Deny it.

Self got caught free texting like a teenage girl, all giddy, telling his man, "go get me some real players " wtf
Cal, K, and Ol Roy tell their kids to wait 9 months, the million dollar contract is coming.
This is a year away from getting resolved, enjoy your season. The NCAA has no clue how to fix this, you should tell Self to deny deny deny, and that the whole student body was offered the same benefits. Deny it.

Yeah! That's probably it!

Man, if only Bill had a fun home game experience to sell, or a culture of winning and draft picks...

You wasted a whole lot of time piecing this long post together. I read up to the Eddie Sutton reference and stopped.
You seem really upset for no reason at all.
No, I don't think Self has to cheat, but something is going on and it doesn't involve Calipari, it involves Self.
So you can throw stones at Cal, UK and UK fans, but you're just coming off as upset, disturbed and kinda like a spoiled brat going on a rant.
Why don't you go clean yourself up and take the rest of the day off.

You wasted a whole lot of time piecing this long post together. I read up to the Eddie Sutton reference and stopped.
No, I don't think Self has to cheat, but something is going on and it doesn't involve Calipari, it involves Self.
So you can throw stones at Cal, UK and UK fans, but you're just coming off as upset, disturbed and kinda like a spoiled brat going on a rant.

That’s funny.

LOL at thinking I'm upset. You're the one that comes off as an angry man child in this thread. Stomping your feet and plugging your ears.

Again...it's just a game. Please don't off yourself when the microscope shifts to Nike and Cal.

LOL at thinking I'm upset. You're the one that comes off as an angry man child in this thread. Stomping your feet and plugging your ears.

Again...it's just a game. Please don't off yourself when the microscope shifts to Nike and Cal.
Ban bet? If Cal paid a player, I'll leave, if he didn't, you leave.

Kansas and Bill Self are dirty and we all know it. Finally he and Townsend were caught red handed.

You can’t reason with Em man, they think U.K. basketball is God’s gift to the world. Everybody else has to cheat to keep up with the great U.K., who is so great they can get the recruits than anyone else without cheating bc it’s a blessing to get to attend school in Lexington Kentucky.

No one cheats as much as KU. An entire shoe company to funnel kids to one school. At least UK has to contend with other Nike schools.

You can’t reason with Em man, they think U.K. basketball is God’s gift to the world. Everybody else has to cheat to keep up with the great U.K., who is so great they can get the recruits than anyone else without cheating bc it’s a blessing to get to attend school in Lexington Kentucky.
Actually, Calipari isn't getting top recruits. He gets a few top ten guys, I think Fox was the last one he got that was even close to top 5, he was rated 6th, everyone else has been rated lower.
But if you were a talented player, wouldn't you go to a place that has put more kids in the NBA than anyone else the last 10 years?
Every game is on ESPN and you have reps come out from every NBA franchise, just to watch you practice in some if the best facilities in the country? Pretty easy decision to me.

While there are huge dollars involved in college sports, it is the big schools that get scrutinized the most. There are not many investigations into the illegal recruiting of 3 star and below players who get less under the table. The NCAA system is designed so that schools can skate around and/or bend the rules. In the good old days it was mostly point shaving that was the big crime. Today it about dollars spent currying favor from impoverished parents, guardians, etc. IMO what the NCAA should do is say "as of this date the rules are the rules, starting today they will be enforced and penalties will be stern. All teams are starting with a clean slate."

While there are huge dollars involved in college sports, it is the big schools that get scrutinized the most. There are not many investigations into the illegal recruiting of 3 star and below players who get less under the table. The NCAA system is designed so that schools can skate around and/or bend the rules. In the good old days it was mostly point shaving that was the big crime. Today it about dollars spent currying favor from impoverished parents, guardians, etc. IMO what the NCAA should do is say "as of this date the rules are the rules, starting today they will be enforced and penalties will be stern. All teams are starting with a clean slate."

Curious, what school are you a fan of?

Finally!! Someone that gets it.

At the moment it is.

I just think it's hilarious.

Joe CBB fan: Cal is the dirtiest dude out there.

Kentucky fans circa 2009: Cal is the dirtiest dude out there.

Kentucky fans now: Cal is the only clean dude.

The BIG problem with your 'logic'..... Cal has ZERO NCAA Infractions against him.....ZERO.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
ADVERTISEMENT