ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Will Explore Compensation for Athletes

HRTheCard

Sep 15, 2016
Team
Louisville

I think that with this news, I wouldn’t expect anyone to get hammered. It seems as they are trying to bend the rules so they don’t have to mess with the FBI situation.

The NCAA definitely appears to want to take the easy way out. Changing rules doesn’t take long, but trying to investigate a dozen schools would probably take years to play out and with every situation being different, there’s no way to treat everyone fairly while being justified.

"According to the board, the group will not consider any concepts that could be construed as payment for participation in college sports. The NCAA’s mission to provide opportunity for students to compete against other students prohibits any contemplation of pay-for-play."

Full Release.

"According to the board, the group will not consider any concepts that could be construed as payment for participation in college sports. The NCAA’s mission to provide opportunity for students to compete against other students prohibits any contemplation of pay-for-play."

Full Release.

That opens a big loophole to me. The agents can just say they paid players for ....... not to go to a specific school.

Unless you're Sean Miller or Will Wade of course.

Any situation involving agents paying players is a loophole to me.

That opens a big loophole to me. The agents can just say they paid players for ....... not to go to a specific school.

Unless you're Sean Miller or Will Wade of course.
It doesn't matter which school; "for participation in college sports."

It doesn't matter which school; "for participation in college sports."

Yeah ik, which is a loophole to me because what if the agent says they paid them for their likeness and brand? What if the agent says they paid them to get them to sign in the NBA? That is likeness as well.

The whole "likeness" creates a big loophole to me.

Example, Cam Newton situation. What if they said we paid Cam Newton $250,000 because of his likeness and guaranteeing him to sign with us when he reaches the NFL. We want him on our brand. We didn't pay him to go to Auburn. We gave him money solely for his likeness.

How is that okay or any different..

Full Release.

That’s basically impossible

Reactions: HRTheCard
That's assuming the NCAA will allow agents involved. Sounds like they are gearing more towards allowing players to make money based on Jersey sales, posters, camps, etc...

Not on signing with agent, potential future income, etc...

That's assuming the NCAA will allow agents involved. Sounds like they are gearing more towards allowing players to make money based on Jersey sales, posters, camps, etc...

Think it’d be unfair for the players to allow the NCAA to make money off your jersey, you get a %, but you can’t have an agent.

Really sick of football & basketball players thinking they should get paid college.
Kids in non revenue sports practice, travel & study just as hard as they do. Most of them aren’t on full rides.
If going to college FOR FREE isn’t good enough till you get to the NBA or NFL, then skip college & get a damn job.

I could definitely see that happening.

I think that with this news, I wouldn’t expect anyone to get hammered. It seems as they are trying to bend the rules so they don’t have to mess with the FBI situation.
Will not help Louisville which was caught trying to pay players while on probation. Louisville in deep trouble.

Really sick of football & basketball players thinking they should get paid college.
Kids in non revenue sports practice, travel & study just as hard as they do. Most of them aren’t on full rides.
If going to college FOR FREE isn’t good enough till you get to the NBA or NFL, then skip college & get a damn job.
Non revenue is the key difference here. The NCAA gets rich off the back of revenue sports, not college soccer teams.

Non revenue is the key difference here. The NCAA gets rich off the back of revenue sports, not college soccer teams.
The NCAA needs to put that money back into scholarships for the non revenue sports instead of trying to pay spoiled ass athletes.

Yeah ik, which is a loophole to me because what if the agent says they paid them for their likeness and brand? What if the agent says they paid them to get them to sign in the NBA? That is likeness as well.

The whole "likeness" creates a big loophole to me.

Example, Cam Newton situation. What if they said we paid Cam Newton $250,000 because of his likeness and guaranteeing him to sign with us when he reaches the NFL. We want him on our brand. We didn't pay him to go to Auburn. We gave him money solely for his likeness.

How is that okay or any different..
Personally I think it’s fine to have that loophole, let the players get what they are worth. The colleges can’t pay them or the athletic departments will be bankrupt due to Title 9 and having to pay non revenue sport players, but let anyone else give a kid what their perceived value in the open market is: boosters, shoe companies, jersey sales, autograph tours, being in a car dealership commercial, who cares it’s capitalism. What’s the worst that could happen, Alabama and Ohio State get more football recruits? Kentucky and Duke get more basketball recruits?

Obviously we’ll see again that the NCAA will have no interest whatsoever in allowing kids to profit off their images, because that could cut into their own profits. But honestly this will be the only way to save college basketball once the OAD rule is gone and the NBA tries to make the D League a legit minor league.

Football first.

If the basketball games are made by EA then no. 2K made the best College Hoops games.

2K is so good at making bball games that EA had to quit making Live for a year or two lol. CHoops 2K8 was fire.

I miss college football, too. Always liked it more than Madden.

Loved the recruiting parts of both games.

The shame of it is the NCAA and game producers could easily skirt the O'Bannon decision by just making the players on the teams truly generic. Ship the game with generic homies then let people edit the rosters. Some nerd somewhere would have accurate rosters uploaded within a week of release.

This is my guess. Allowing players to take money for endorsements is opening the potential for local businesses and boosters to shell out money via endorsements for players. So, it won’t happen.

However, if there is profit sharing where all NCAA athletes or athletes in certain sports share profit, then it prevents players from being directly paid while also being compensated. Likewise, it could mean that certain players do not agree to licensing in which case they wouldn’t take part in profit sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT