ADVERTISEMENT

NBA TV Ratings

oldsports_

Dec 18, 2010
Ratings are way down vs last year. These 2 pricks are one of many reasons people are turning that sh! t off.

I’ve tried to give the NBA a chance, but to me it’s just a bad product most of the time. Prima donnas and poor atmospheres don’t make for an interesting experience.

The last NBA team I really enjoyed watching was Nash’s Suns team.

I’ve tried to give the NBA a chance, but to me it’s just a bad product most of the time. Prima donnas and poor atmospheres don’t make for an interesting experience.

When you have NBA players inserting themselves into politics, championship players/teams refusing to go to the whitehouse, acting like 12 year olds, whining, abusing wives and girl friends with zero penalties,shitty product on the floor, do NOT expect me to waste my time watching it.

You said what most people are thinking. Numbers don't lie, the egos are killing the product.

Ehh. They will pick up.

1) There are some terrible matchups this first round. No one cares about the Magic, Nets, Pistons, or Clippers.

2) It’s sort of a transition year. Young stars like Giannis and Embiid are just starting to become household names. In 2-3 more years, these guys will be folks talked about by everyone, even non-basketball watchers. Right now it’s just too early in their careers. Meanwhile, established stars like DWade, Dirk, Lebron, and Blake Griffin either are retiring, didn’t make the playoffs, or hurt.

3. The Masters/Tiger. Most of the worst year over year comparisons were from last Saturday and Sunday. All that proves is Tiger Woods still moves the needle like few other athletes in the world.

4. Fewer people watching TV period. The NBA might be down from last year, but they are still winning against everything else. They had the top 2 ratings performances on Tuesday and the the top 3 Wednesday. https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/wednesday-cable-ratings-april-17-2019/

When you have NBA players inserting themselves into politics, championship players/teams refusing to go to the whitehouse, acting like 12 year olds, whining, abusing wives and girl friends with zero penalties,shitty product on the floor, do NOT expect me to waste my time watching it.

Sounds like the NFL to me

Also sounds like you’re saying “Shut up and Dribble.”

Please proceed, Governor....

But everyone tells me I should watch the NBA over the college game.......mmmm-nah. I'm good.

Ehh. They will pick up.

1) There are some terrible matchups this first round. No one cares about the Magic, Nets, Pistons, or Clippers.

2) It’s sort of a transition year. Young stars like Giannis and Embiid are just starting to become household names. In 2-3 more years, these guys will be folks talked about by everyone, even non-basketball watchers. Right now it’s just too early in their careers. Meanwhile, established stars like DWade, Dirk, Lebron, and Blake Griffin either are retiring, didn’t make the playoffs, or hurt.

3. The Masters/Tiger. Most of the worst year over year comparisons were from last Saturday and Sunday. All that proves is Tiger Woods still moves the needle like few other athletes in the world.

4. Fewer people watching TV period. The NBA might be down from last year, but they are still winning against everything else. They had the top 2 ratings performances on Tuesday and the the top 3 Wednesday. https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/wednesday-cable-ratings-april-17-2019/
Yeah playoff sports will always attract attention even if it's down compared to years past.

I don't watch because I have zero rooting interest in any team playing and that's been the case for going on a couple decades now.

I think that's where the disconnect is coming from more than anything and why you're starting to see it in other sports as well.

More people, nowadays, are less likely to take the "sheep" mentality and watch teams they don't care about compete for championships their teams will never win. It's why you're seeing more complaints about college football with the Bama and Clemson bullsh**.

I didn't get tired of the Golden State vs Cleveland series. I just didn't watch because I didn't care aside from not wanting Lebron to build some Kobe-like dynasty (and notice how I said Kobe and not MJ because there's a difference in their dynasties)............

People aren't going to keep watching major sports if their teams they support and pay money to support never win and never come close to competing for championships. That's where we're at in 2019. It's only going to get worse as leagues try to focus their attention on "name-brand" teams and players flock to form super teams to try to win titles and/OR capitalize on making as much money as they can......

Even the NFL can't hide from this issue, although it is still so much bigger it will take a while to see the effect.

People don't want to be taken for suckers and right now that's about all they get in the major sports.

The NCAA Basketball Tournament may have offered lower ratings for their Finals but it was a refreshing change of pace that hopefully sets a precedent for other sports to follow. It's okay for teams we don't normally see in the title picture to compete and God f***ing forbid, WIN, said titles.......

Just sayin.

Yeah playoff sports will always attract attention even if it's down compared to years past.

I don't watch because I have zero rooting interest in any team playing and that's been the case for going on a couple decades now.

I think that's where the disconnect is coming from more than anything and why you're starting to see it in other sports as well.

More people, nowadays, are less likely to take the "sheep" mentality and watch teams they don't care about compete for championships their teams will never win. It's why you're seeing more complaints about college football with the Bama and Clemson bullsh**.

I didn't get tired of the Golden State vs Cleveland series. I just didn't watch because I didn't care aside from not wanting Lebron to build some Kobe-like dynasty (and notice how I said Kobe and not MJ because there's a difference in their dynasties)............

People aren't going to keep watching major sports if their teams they support and pay money to support never win and never come close to competing for championships. That's where we're at in 2019. It's only going to get worse as leagues try to focus their attention on "name-brand" teams and players flock to form super teams to try to win titles and/OR capitalize on making as much money as they can......

Even the NFL can't hide from this issue, although it is still so much bigger it will take a while to see the effect.

People don't want to be taken for suckers and right now that's about all they get in the major sports.

The NCAA Basketball Tournament may have offered lower ratings for their Finals but it was a refreshing change of pace that hopefully sets a precedent for other sports to follow. It's okay for teams we don't normally see in the title picture to compete and God f***ing forbid, WIN, said titles.......

Just sayin.

Golden State hadn’t won anything in decades until Curry arrived. Cleveland had never won before Lebron and Kyrie. Teams like the Bucks and the Nuggets are top 2 seeds in their conferences with extremely little recent or historical success.

I don’t really get your post at all.

Ratings were down for the Final Four this year. Uh-oh! We have a problem and the NCAA better get control over its product!

Golden State hadn’t won anything in decades until Curry arrived. (I didn't have a problem with Golden State winning. I've said this.) Cleveland had never won before Lebron and Kyrie. (Neither had Miami....New England had never won before Brady. They both can still f*** off. How's that sound?) Teams like the Bucks and the Nuggets are top 2 seeds in their conferences with extremely little recent or historical success. (That's not uncommon at all.)

I don’t really get your post at all. (Then my job is done. :D)

The casual fan isn’t tuning in for these first round matchups. And the series haven’t been that great thus far
On top of that the refs have been trash. They command no respect all season and decide to start throwing Tech's out like they are trying to meet a quota. I know he get's a lot of social awareness/woke love , but Adam Silver is a meh commish.

The players that got in on this last TV contract got the golden egg. But basketball is now an international sport. The NCAA and/or the NBA needs to capitalize on. What about Duke, KU, UK, UNC plus 4 more playing in London, Paris, or Rome each year as part of the regular season?

Ratings are way down vs last year. These 2 pricks are one of many reasons people are turning that sh! t off.
I don't have a problem with this, since apparently the reporter asking the question will be cordial in person but go back and rip the thunder players in print. Funny how when belichick or popovich opts Not to answer questions we don't care. But players do it and they're out of touch and primadonnas.

What I do have a problem with is refs deciding games. 3 uncalled blatant fouls on a game tying roll to the basket for Brooklyn in the final 30 seconds that the NBA has to admit were missed calls. When the holds were supposed to be a point of emphasis. Commentators in the warriors clippers game saying things like "sure that was a travel, but who cares... Its Kevin Durant." Those kind of things are 10x worse than a couple of stars refusing to talk. Those are actually game changing issues and the league deciding the winners and losers.

Reactions: dtgold88
The Ratings will be higher during the 2nd Round

Warriors vs Rockets
Bucks vs Celtics
76ers vs Raptors

Those 3 series will carry the TV numbers. All 3 series are legitimate matchups where either team could win.

I don't have a problem with this, since apparently the reporter asking the question will be cordial in person but go back and rip the thunder players in print. Funny how when belichick or popovich opts Not to answer questions we don't care. But players do it and they're out of touch and primadonnas.

What I do have a problem with is refs deciding games. 3 uncalled blatant fouls on a game tying roll to the basket for Brooklyn in the final 30 seconds that the NBA has to admit were missed calls. When the holds were supposed to be a point of emphasis. Commentators in the warriors clippers game saying things like "sure that was a travel, but who cares... Its Kevin Durant." Those kind of things are 10x worse than a couple of stars refusing to talk. Those are actually game changing issues and the league deciding the winners and losers.

That reporter who is actually well respected was on NBA radio a couple weeks ago. It's like he said during the interview, 98% of the things he writes about Westbrook has been overwhelmingly positive but because he is also the only one that will tell it like it is(sometimes that means the truth), Westbrook is a jackass to him. Westbrook believes everyone should constantly kiss his ass and treat him like a God in Oklahoma and that is why he does whatever he wants. He needs to quit acting like a little b*tch. This is why players like Harden etc get so much more respect. They don't let a little criticism bother them.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldsports_
These second round eastern conference matchups coming up should be the most entertaining that I can remember for the NBA in a long time.

The basketball product is miles better than college basketball - shooting, athleticism, block/charge, refereeing in general (still not perfect), are so much better it makes the NCAA jarring to watch by comparison. Sure, there are games/series where the mismatch makes the outcome inevitable, and the regular season has a lot of dud games down the stretch due to playoff (rest) and draft (tank) incentives, but lopsided games occur far more often in the NCAA than the NBA.

All the other non-basketball complaints here - post-game press conferences, not going to the White House, politics, alleged immaturity, etc... - are the very same hypocritical BS that angry people love to spout about anyone that has different views than them. You can probably spot @KyFaninNC below:

thumb_when-a-black-athlete-posts-a-political-opinion-tn-i-48655165.png

Everything had higher ratings 20 years ago. It's called cord cutters.

Seriously. Are people really saying that the late 1990s/early 2000s had better basketball because it, like almost every aspect of television, had higher raw ratings? The 76-74 Indiana/Detroit games? The Pat Riley attempt to turn basketball into rugby? Aside from Mac from It's Always Sunny, few prefer that garbage to actual basketball.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT