ADVERTISEMENT

***NBA Playoffs: Finals Thread***

Let me guess........Cavs played better because of the players and not Lue. And Celtics faltered because of their players and not Stevens.

And please don't think they won because they played hard. They started hitting their shots early which led to more energy which led to playing harder. They won because they hit their shots.
The Cavs played with more energy, LBJ got the others like George Hill more involved and they played better team defense.

This is the expectation when a team goes home in the NBA Playoffs after being down 2-0 in Game 3. The Pelicans did the same vs the Warriors in Game 3.

What is your point here? Do you honestly believe Lue and Stevens are equally good as coaches?

The Cavs played with more energy, LBJ got the others like George Hill more involved and they played better team defense.

This is the expectation when a team goes home in the NBA Playoffs after being down 2-0 in Game 3. The Pelicans did the same vs the Warriors in Game 3.

What is your point here? Do you honestly believe Lue and Stevens are equally good as coaches?
My only issue is with Blame the Coach Guy who rips the coach for everything wrong but offers no credit when things go right. And on the other end with a guy like Stevens they never blame him when things go wrong but credit him when they go right.

To answer your question, I do think Stevens is better than Lue and probably Casey. But I'm not 100% sure and think it might be closer than many would like to believe.

Reactions: Silent Banjo
My only issue is with Blame the Coach Guy who rips the coach for everything wrong but offers no credit when things go right. And on the other end with a guy like Stevens they never blame him when things go wrong but credit him when they go right.

To answer your question, I do think Stevens is better than Lue and probably Casey. But I'm not 100% sure and think it might be closer than many would like to believe.
It's amazing how Casey went from Penthouse to Outhouse almost overnight. They should make a TV show about him called Bad Times, with the theme song being "We're moving on down." I seriously think they're making a mistake and Casey will be back somewhere to coach a team for an organization smart enough to identify a good basketball man.

Reactions: dtgold88
It's amazing how Casey went from Penthouse to Outhouse almost overnight. They should make a TV show about him called Bad Times, with the theme song being "We're moving on down." I seriously think they're making a mistake and Casey will be back somewhere to coach a team for an organization smart enough to identify a good basketball man.
Love it!! But the "Movin' on Down" would be from the Jefferson's. Just sayin'Winking

I think he might be hired first as a lead assistant, then get a head job again.....unless age is an issue. No clue how old he is and don't really feel like checking.

That's because expectations for the Celtics after Kyrie went down were essentially nil so doing anything of significance during the playoffs is already "overachieving". I agree that the Celtics players were being underrated but Stevens definitely has played a large role in guiding this team with his rotational flexibility and execution out of timeouts.

These playoffs have already been a huge success for the Celtics so anything extra from here on out is just icing on the cake.

That's because expectations for the Celtics after Kyrie went down were essentially nil so doing anything of significance during the playoffs is already "overachieving". I agree that the Celtics players were being underrated but Stevens definitely has played a large role in guiding this team with his rotational flexibility and execution out of timeouts.

These playoffs have already been a huge success for the Celtics so anything extra from here on out is just icing on the cake.
Mostly agree.....I do think his out-of-bounds plays have taken a life of their own though. Almost like MJ game winners/big shots, and forgetting the many he missed.

I do agree he plays a role in Brown, Tatum and Rozier emergence, but they were the 3rd, 3rd and 16th picks.

Casey has already turned the 9th and 22nd picks (Derozan and Lowry) into all stars.

Love it!! But the "Movin' on Down" would be from the Jefferson's. Just sayin'Winking

I think he might be hired first as a lead assistant, then get a head job again.....unless age is an issue. No clue how old he is and don't really feel like checking.
Indeed, The Jefferson's, not Bad Times. I guess I mixed my metaphors, or at least by black sitcoms.

Just checked, and was surprised to find out that Dwane Casey is 61. His redemption plan better be on a fast track.

Indeed, The Jefferson's, not Bad Times. I guess I mixed my metaphors, or at least by black sitcoms.

Just checked, and was surprised to find out that Dwane Casey is 61. His redemption plan better be on a fast track.
Had a feeling age might be an issue for him landing another spot. I think if he was in his 50s he'd get a HC position this offseason.....though probably been some his age who were given another chance.

Had a feeling age might be an issue for him landing another spot. I think if he was in his 50s he'd get a HC position this offseason.....though probably been some his age who were given another chance.
And he looks a lot younger than 61. Although I was for Cleveland, I feel sad about his demise. Seems like only a few weeks ago that he was at the top for Coach of the Year honors. Couldn't see much of the series because I was overseas, but it seems like it was more of a case of Lebron just taking over than Casey making poor decisions.

And he looks a lot younger than 61. Although I was for Cleveland, I feel sad about his demise. Seems like only a few weeks ago that he was at the top for Coach of the Year honors. Couldn't see much of the series because I was overseas, but it seems like it was more of a case of Lebron just taking over than Casey making poor decisions.
as I've said, and some think I'm nuts, as of now, Brad Stevens has not done anything that Casey has not done. Might change this week, but so far neither has beaten the Cavs. Neither has been to the Finals, and each has earned a #1 seed.

And watching this series, I believe even without Kyrie and Heyward, Boston is more talented than Toronto. I'm not really sure it's that close.

as I've said, and some think I'm nuts, as of now, Brad Stevens has not done anything that Casey has not done. Might change this week, but so far neither has beaten the Cavs. Neither has been to the Finals, and each has earned a #1 seed.

And watching this series, I believe even without Kyrie and Heyward, Boston is more talented than Toronto. I'm not really sure it's that close.
I agree. Stevens is still getting a lot of mileage from coaching Butler to two NCAA title games. No doubt that is impressive, but the hosannas should come with an expiration date.

Guessing most would think Lebron would have more, but he was 21 before they made the playoffs in year 3. I still might have guessed Kobe was ahead of him if I didn't hear about this first.

I was guessing both before I saw this tweet.

And one of the Butler teams had 2 NBA players on it - Heyward and Mack.

It is so funny cause at the time, everyone thought just because Duke was playing a mid-major in the title game that it was supposed to be easy. Stevens only lost to K and Calhoun, who combined for 8 championships. I think he'd won a title at Butler if he wasn't facing K or Calhoun.

Lebron might have been close but they missed playoffs by 1 game in his second season. would have been the 8 seed so who knows if he would have played enough games.

Great start to career by tatum, though.
I wonder whether Tatum would have been taken by the Lakers if Jerry West were still running the show.

Lebron might have been close but they missed playoffs by 1 game in his second season. would have been the 8 seed so who knows if he would have played enough games.

Great start to career by tatum, though.

Oh yeah! This whole class has been better than advertised (with or without Simmons).

As a Laker's fan, I wished that would have happened. Even with Ingram, who sometimes played the point last season
I'm a Lakers fan as well, and I hear you. It's going to be a very interesting free agent period for our team. Pretty sure they sign George, but so much more up in the air.

I'm a Lakers fan as well, and I hear you. It's going to be a very interesting free agent period for our team. Pretty sure they sign George, but so much more up in the air.
No doubt should be fun for LA and their fans. Should be a lot going on for at least a handful of teams.

Hoping to hear Lebron start FA by saying something like, "I told you 4 years ago I was finishing my career here. when will you learn to listen to me and not the "insiders"?

Reactions: Quavarius
Tied 2-2. NOW we have a series. Boston has homecourt advantage but I think Cleveland will win one on the road over Boston winning one on the road.

Reactions: UKcats1988
Has playoff basketball always been like this?? I feel like 10 years or so ago it wasn't. Every game other than one or two was competitive, and now the home team blows out the road team seemingly every time.

Reactions: Quavarius
Has playoff basketball always been like this?? I feel like 10 years or so ago it wasn't. Every game other than one or two was competitive, and now the home team blows out the road team seemingly every time.

Nope. Just this season. Last year IIRC, Golden State and Cleveland swept every team to get to the Finals again (or something close like that). This season reminds me of college basketball where teams look like world beaters at home and then look a shell of themselves on the road.

Saw this about Stevens and pretty much sums up my thoughts. Always thought he was a very good or even great coach, but maybe a little overblown....

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/brad-stevens-boston-celtics-nba-coach-of-the-year-mt-rushmore-espn/2/

Never really got it within 6, but I can tell you I never felt like last night was a blowout.

No doubt should be fun for LA and their fans. Should be a lot going on for at least a handful of teams.

Hoping to hear Lebron start FA by saying something like, "I told you 4 years ago I was finishing my career here. when will you learn to listen to me and not the "insiders"?
As a devout Lakers fan whose team has been heavily rumored to be in the Lebron sweepstakes, I genuinely wish for your hope to be fulfilled. He is Cleveland through and through.

That being said, I wouldn't exactly cry if he signed with the Lakers. ;)

As a devout Lakers fan whose team has been heavily rumored to be in the Lebron sweepstakes, I genuinely wish for your hope to be fulfilled. He is Cleveland through and through.

That being said, I wouldn't exactly cry if he signed with the Lakers. ;)
Seems to me like Cleveland, Philly and LA only realistic options.

Just don't see how Houston makes it work with the cap. who would take Anderson and his $20 mil for 2 more years? Hoping the issues some are mentioning with Philly are true, that he's just not a great fit with Simmons and Embiid. simmons I could see that being true, not sure about Embiid, but I get it....not sure you want him clogging the middle and cannot imagine they turn him into a stretch 4 or 5.

Also hoping Lebron wants nothing to do with Lavar Ball. Best case for him is go there and win a title........then hear Ball say he was the one responsible and he called it.

ADVERTISEMENT