***NBA Playoffs: Finals Thread***

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by JimboBBN, Apr 13, 2018.

1. WeAreDePaul

WeAreDePaul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Lebron wearing a cast to the presser is the only thing I'm gonna remember about his 2018 playoffs.

He's a fraud and a clown.

lurkeraspect84 likes this.
  2. dtgold88

dtgold88 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Agree with everything you said really. Only disagreement, is can't only look at what a player does in a matchup with GS...especially in the EC. Love has helped a ton the last couple years in series with Toronto and Boston (who were often undersized teams). Of course, would not bet against the cavs against those teams with Harden as opposed to Love.

Not the best matchup against GS, but the guy was pretty much a 20-10 guy in this series, and he outplayed Green last year who most seem to love. Needed to make more % of 3s but other than Lebron the least of their troubles.

Kind of hard to judge the Cavs current GM as he hasn't even had one year on the job. Didn't like the Kyrie deal, but who knows what else was offered and seems they were better off making a deal than not as likely Kyrie was still hurt if they held onto him.

Infused some youth and life into the team with the midseason roster shakeup and went as far without Kyrie as they did with...well, one game less.

I believe if they stayed together and added the 8th pick and had a full camp together if you told the Cavs win 60 or no playoffs they could win 60. could they beat GS as constructed? doubtful, but not sure anyone else can either. And hey, maybe we can finally get payback for 2015 and play them with a couple pieces missing Winking

3. dtgold88

Expand Collapse

wont be the only thing I remember, but he should be embarrassed.

Still hope he stays though.

4. Big_Blue79

Big_Blue79 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The Kyrie trade was an okay return on the huge assumption that IT was cleared by team doctors (and Cleveland had an out! and still made the trade!). But it's 50/50 at best that you even trade Kyrie in that situation, and I'm not a Kyrie guy (he's marginal All-NBA when healthy). Yes, I know Kyrie was a dick and threatened surgery, but it seems that Cleveland shouldn't have put any value into IT. I didn't hate the trade at the time, but I made the assumption re: IT's health.

The midseason trades were okay except for the Lakers deal. Clarkson was a fringe rotation player on a good team but being paid like a starter, and Nance is a nice bench piece. The price for getting Nance should have just been taking on Clarkson (IT and Frye were expiring salary fodder), but Cleveland gave up a first. I thought that was a typo; surely the Lakers would be giving up a pick (or taking back bad non-expiring salary) for Clarkson's bad contract. Magic Johnson must be hella convincing.

dtgold88 likes this.
  5. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Nance Jr played a very good part in Cleveland beating Boston. Frankly I thought he was the difference in a few games. Made huge plays in tight games that the Cavs won. George Hill was pretty good late in the Boston series as well. Those were solid moves IMO. Thought Hood would be better. They weren’t getting much with Crowder so I guess that trade wasn’t too bad. Pretty much agree with everything you posted.

dtgold88 and Big_Blue79 like this.
  6. dtgold88

Expand Collapse

all well and good, but my thought is after what happened with Lebron in 2010 Gilbert wanted to be prepared if he left. They wanted the pick more than anything in that deal. Probably hoped it'd be higher than 8, and would bet most assumed it would be.

Also possible they thought both Kyrie and IT were huge injury concerns heading into last season and turned out to be a wash. Maybe a slight edge to Kyrie, as he at least helped them earn home court in their matchup.

I didn't like giving up the pick, but no way we were getting the Lakers' pick (much higher) back. Would rather have it than not, but don't think much comes of Cavs' pick as far as who it is. Issue is tougher to move the 8 pick without having their own pick due to the Stepien Rule

7. Big_Blue79

Big_Blue79 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Good catch. Also even a bad first is an asset, and the Cavs have a lot of contracts they would probably like to dump.