ADVERTISEMENT

***NBA Playoffs: Finals Thread***

I hate to doubt Bron, but I've seen nothing that tells me Cleveland can win in Boston.

Reactions: JimboBBN
I hate to doubt Bron, but I've seen nothing that tells me Cleveland can win in Boston.
Yup. Home teams in the East seem to rarely lose for whatever reason, most of the time it even seems like a blowout. Cleveland will probably crush them in game 6, but I highly doubt LeBron lets game 7 turn into a snooze fest. That one will be close, but I think Boston prevails.

Reactions: 829305
Should Cleveland lose, what would be the bigger story: Bron couldn't get back to the NBA Finals without Kyrie or Boston got to the Finals without Kyrie?
Has to be the former. Boston has been playing with house money most of this season anyways. Most people thought that even when he was healthy, the C's were still behind the Cavs and Raptors in the East pecking order. Also, I think at this point people realize Boston has a pretty stacked roster even without Kyrie. LeBron hasn't missed the Finals in 8 years.

Reactions: Quavarius
Should Cleveland lose, what would be the bigger story: Bron couldn't get back to the NBA Finals without Kyrie or Boston got to the Finals without Kyrie?
That’s a tough one Q. The way the “experts” have picked every series, Boston was suppose to be eliminated over a month ago. So them potentially making it to the finals would be, by their own predictions, a big surprise. Lebron May very well get the Cavs back to the finals, essentially by himself. Other guys have stepped up for Cleveland a bit lately but that team is how James goes. Great question and one that I can’t honestly form a difinitive answer for.

Has to be the former. Boston has been playing with house money most of this season anyways. Most people thought that even when he was healthy, the C's were still behind the Cavs and Raptors in the East pecking order. Also, I think at this point people realize Boston has a pretty stacked roster even without Kyrie. LeBron hasn't missed the Finals in 8 years.
Maybe....but Lebron has been to the Finals without Kyrie and with Eric Snow as his PG.

In all seriousness, a very good question. I'm not sure either will be the big story, as Lebron has gotten to the Finals with far less than Kyrie as his #2.

some might want to diminish Kyrie should they get it done without him, but I wont. If nothing else, without Kyrie, I'm not sure they earn the home court which has been a must for them. That said, wont shock me if they see what the market is for him as long as he's healthy and they aren't selling low.

4 players from teams that are still alive in the playoffs. None from one of them. Heck Boston only had two guys all NBA anything. (Tatum/first all rookie, Horford second team all defense) Only reinforces the notion that Brad Stevens does more with less. (I figure dtgold will get a kick out of that last line ; )
And if they lose I guess it proves Kerr does less with more? Winking

Lol, but maybe?

I have zero doubt Lue and Stevens would both kill it with a roster like the Warriors. Nothing against Kerr but it’s not like he is working with a challenged roster in GS.
Heard Ric Bucher last night on a local show and made some good points. He did agree Lue gets blamed way too much and Stevens way too much credit. Like me, also thinks Stevens is a very good or even great coach.

One question he asked I found interesting he brought up specifically for those who rip Lue and worship Stevens.....If you were offered the chance to coach the current Cavs or Celtics teams as they stand today which would you choose?

Also, I think at this point people realize Boston has a pretty stacked roster even without Kyrie.

This. I've been saying for at least 2 years that 2-way wings are the currency of the realm (as are many others, of course). Boston and Golden State realized that even earlier. Boston keeps loading up on switchable guys (Brown, Smart, Tatum, Ojeleye, Morris, and they signed Hayward), and they have the pieces (even with the injuries) to have competent or better matchups against almost any kind of opponent lineup. It takes a smart coach to maximize that flexibility (and Stevens is certainly smart), but an even better front office to anticipate where the league is going and stock up.

4 players from teams that are still alive in the playoffs. None from one of them. Heck Boston only had two guys all NBA anything. (Tatum/first all rookie, Horford second team all defense) Only reinforces the notion that Brad Stevens does more with less. (I figure dtgold will get a kick out of that last line ; )

Al Horford probably should have made 3rd Team All NBA, and he's been a top 10 player in the playoffs.

But I think these playoffs are reinforcing that avoiding holes (basically smart depth) is almost as important as having strengths. Smart teams (Golden State, Houston, Boston, and sometimes the Cavs) hunt defensive weak links and ignore non-shooters to ridiculous and unprecedented degrees. Lue didn't put Korver in the game because Stevens didn't play Ojeleye (yet another Boston wing) and have a place to hide of D, and that's crazy but not even insane.

I have zero doubt Lue and Stevens would both kill it with a roster like the Warriors. Nothing against Kerr but it’s not like he is working with a challenged roster in GS.

GS has like 8 crappy centers and little wing depth. And almost no shooting outside of Durant/Curry/Thompson (3 of the best of all-time, of course); Duncan and Leroux have been harping on this all year. It's a great roster, of course, but far from perfect. It's basically an inverted Boston roster - top heavy with no depth.

One question he asked I found interesting he brought up specifically for those who rip Lue and worship Stevens.....If you were offered the chance to coach the current Cavs or Celtics teams as they stand today which would you choose?

Boston has everything you'd want in a modern roster - 3 point shooting at every position (even top-knot is hitting corner 3s). Depth at the most important positions (switchable 2-4s), depth at every other position except maybe center (which frankly doesn't matter much against Cavs or Warriors). And they have homecourt and guys that turn from complete garbage shooters to "we don't even need Kyrie" at home. All Boston is lacking is experience, really. And Stevens is so elite at player development that it might not even matter.

Ranking the players:
  1. Lebron
  2. Horford
  3. Love
  4. Rozier (home games only)
  5. Tatum
  6. Brown
  7. Smart
  8. Korver
  9. Every other Boston player
  10. Rozier (road games only)
  11. Every other Cavs player
  12. Brian Windhorst
  13. Clarkson

This. I've been saying for at least 2 years that 2-way wings are the currency of the realm (as are many others, of course). Boston and Golden State realized that even earlier. Boston keeps loading up on switchable guys (Brown, Smart, Tatum, Ojeleye, Morris, and they signed Hayward), and they have the pieces (even with the injuries) to have competent or better matchups against almost any kind of opponent lineup. It takes a smart coach to maximize that flexibility (and Stevens is certainly smart), but an even better front office to anticipate where the league is going and stock up.

Al Horford probably should have made 3rd Team All NBA, and he's been a top 10 player in the playoffs.

But I think these playoffs are reinforcing that avoiding holes (basically smart depth) is almost as important as having strengths. Smart teams (Golden State, Houston, Boston, and sometimes the Cavs) hunt defensive weak links and ignore non-shooters to ridiculous and unprecedented degrees. Lue didn't put Korver in the game because Stevens didn't play Ojeleye (yet another Boston wing) and have a place to hide of D, and that's crazy but not even insane.

GS has like 8 crappy centers and little wing depth. And almost no shooting outside of Durant/Curry/Thompson (3 of the best of all-time, of course); Duncan and Leroux have been harping on this all year. It's a great roster, of course, but far from perfect. It's basically an inverted Boston roster - top heavy with no depth.

Boston has everything you'd want in a modern roster - 3 point shooting at every position (even top-knot is hitting corner 3s). Depth at the most important positions (switchable 2-4s), depth at every other position except maybe center (which frankly doesn't matter much against Cavs or Warriors). And they have homecourt and guys that turn from complete garbage shooters to "we don't even need Kyrie" at home. All Boston is lacking is experience, really. And Stevens is so elite at player development that it might not even matter.

Ranking the players:
  1. Lebron
  2. Horford
  3. Love
  5. Tatum
  6. Brown
  7. Smart
  8. Korver
  12. Brian Windhorst
  13. Clarkson
I have said for a while the "more with less" narrative is a fallacy as I agree with your rankings for the most part (and think Boston has much more talent than Casey did with Toronto)

I could see switching Love and Horford, but either way is fine. And, of course, there is a wide gap between 2 and 1.

Not sure I'd call Stevens elite at player development as we are talking #3 picks in the draft in Brown and Tatum. Horford solid before he got to Boston. Rozier also a mid-first rounder and we are talking a very small sample size for him.

To answer the question, I'd choose the Cs if I was picking which roster to coach as there is no winning as a coach with Lebron. Win and it's him. Lose and it's you.

He's also a tough guy to coach as we know he often can be a little lazy and lacking on D, and it's tough to call out other players when your best player is a main culprit.

Not sure I'd call Stevens elite at player development as we are talking #3 picks in the draft in Brown and Tatum. Horford solid before he got to Boston. Rozier also a mid-first rounder and we are talking a very small sample size for him.

To answer the question, I'd choose the Cs if I was picking which roster to coach as there is no winning as a coach with Lebron. Win and it's him. Lose and it's you.

The older I get, the more I believe that, outside of an elite few (the Lebrons, KDs, etc...), a player's career is heavily influenced by where they land. I think all of Tatum, Brown, and Rozier are worse if they were drafted by, say, the Kings (duh), the Suns, the Grizzlies, etc... And it's not just development, but also opportunity.

Agreed that Lebron's coach can't win, although Spoelestra came pretty close (and he's a really good coach).

Reactions: dtgold88
The older I get, the more I believe that, outside of an elite few (the Lebrons, KDs, etc...), a player's career is heavily influenced by where they land. I think all of Tatum, Brown, and Rozier are worse if they were drafted by, say, the Kings (duh), the Suns, the Grizzlies, etc... And it's not just development, but also opportunity.

Agreed that Lebron's coach can't win, although Spoelestra came pretty close (and he's a really good coach).
Not sure what you meant saying spo came close. Meaning he came close to getting the credit? I'd even say since Lebron left, Spo is more of a more with less guy than stevens, even though he hasn't gotten as far. Bston's roster was far better and they did have Kyrie to help them earn the home court that is helping them now.

I'm not sure how good of a coach Walton is, but he turned a pick in the mid 20s into a very solid player this season. Ball has probably played up to expectations, as well.

I think as likely Tatum was this successful due to opportunity. Plenty of good rookies this year not coached by Stevens.

Ranking the players:
  1. Lebron
  2. Horford
  3. Love
  5. Tatum
  6. Brown
  7. Smart
  8. Korver
  12. Brian Windhorst
  13. Clarkson

Tatum should be #3 IMO.

Ranking the players:
  1. Lebron
  2. Horford
  3. Love
  5. Tatum
  6. Brown
  7. Smart
  8. Korver
  12. Brian Windhorst
  13. Clarkson

I laughed my ass off at that Top 13

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Tatum should be #3 IMO.
could make that argument, but I still think Horford more important and Love is still above him. He did say Rozier only in home games and he has been better at home it seems.

But, yeah, given the choice I take tatum over him right now.

could make that argument, but I still think Horford more important and Love is still above him. He did say Rozier only in home games and he has been better at home it seems.

But, yeah, given the choice I take tatum over him right now.

Rozier was god awful last game. TBH, this season for the Cavs is on J.R. And Hills shoulders.

Reactions: dtgold88
Has there been a huge FT disparity in favor of the home teams? How does the road team get hammered every single time?

In the bits and pieces I've seen, the main thing that stood out is that Lebron seems to pile up careless turnovers in Boston. 6 the other night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT