ADVERTISEMENT

***NBA Playoffs: Finals Thread***

do you know where I can find those exact quotes of his......you should see the comments I get on the football board about this.

One guy said Lue has no idea about defense. I reminded him the cavs held GS to 89 in a somewhat important Game 7. He said I give him too much credit for the Finals win. That it was the players and Lue was the reason they were down 3-1.

Typical Blame the Coach guy. That one cracked me up.
https://nesn.com/2018/05/brad-stevens-has-most-brad-stevens-reaction-to-praise-of-his-coaching/

I did end up finding it. Even more telling were some comments from Robert Parish. But what we he know over the FB crowd?

“I think he gets a little too much praise, but I like what he’s doing,” Parish said on Sirius XM NBA Radio. “They’re giving him all the love like he won three or four championships. Come on now. Win something first, with all the love he’s getting.

“Now granted, don’t get me wrong, he’s a solid coach. I’ll give him that. The love he’s getting from the media, you’d think the Celtics won two or three championships. You would think.”" data-reactid="33">“Now granted, don’t get me wrong, he’s a solid coach. I’ll give him that. The love he’s getting from the media, you’d think the Celtics won two or three championships. You would think.”

FWIW, this was the exact quote I mentioned to you. could not have written it for him better myself to prove my point....

"You give Lue too much credit for that GS series they won. That was the players. Lue coached that team to a 3-1 hole. The players dug that team out of it."
Again, there's no point in discussing sports if we can't make predictions and back up why they're likely to occur with observations.

Will you agree that Stevens is a basketball prodigy if he knocks off Lebron and the Cavs?

Reactions: dtgold88
Celtics will make the game ugly for the Warriors. I think it"ll be an interesting 5 game series. Smart/Brown will bother Curry/Klay enough defensively to steal one game in The Garden.
You wanna make an avatar bet GSW sweeps them?

Again, there's no point in discussing sports if we can't make predictions and back up why they're likely to occur with observations.

Will you agree that Stevens is a basketball prodigy if he knocks off Lebron and the Cavs?
I already think Stevens is a good coach. My only issue was with the hyperbole, or saying things like "anyone with eyes or a brain" can see he's better than Casey. Or making comments like the one above. Do you think that comment is rational?

Here it is again - "You give Lue too much credit for that GS series they won. That was the players. Lue coached that team to a 3-1 hole. The players dug that team out of it."

Always how it goes. If it's a coach someone does not like, anything negative is his fault. Positive is the players. With a guy like stevens, anything negative, excuses will be made. Positive will be him.

What do you make of the Cavs scoring 127 ppg and winning by an average of 30 in the 3 games in Boston in last year's ECF? Did Stevens forget he was a defensive guru?

I did end up finding it. Even more telling were some comments from Robert Parish. But what we he know over the FB crowd?

“I think he gets a little too much praise, but I like what he’s doing,” Parish said on Sirius XM NBA Radio. “They’re giving him all the love like he won three or four championships. Come on now. Win something first, with all the love he’s getting.

“Now granted, don’t get me wrong, he’s a solid coach. I’ll give him that. The love he’s getting from the media, you’d think the Celtics won two or three championships. You would think.”" data-reactid="33">“Now granted, don’t get me wrong, he’s a solid coach. I’ll give him that. The love he’s getting from the media, you’d think the Celtics won two or three championships. You would think.”
Now I think what the Chief said is kind of putting down the job Stevens has done in Boston. Sure he gets hyped by others (not himself) but what Stevens has accomplished with the make up of the rosters he has is pretty remarkable. Titles or not. He needs to win a title to live up to everyone else’s standards but the job he has done in Boston can’t be ignored. A “solid coach” is not what Stevens is. He is better than than solid. I think he’s proven that. He just isn’t an all timer or a champion.

I'm not a Warriors fan but they are fun to watch and I could watch them dismantle teams all day. Greatest team ever assembled and I got to see them.
Not sure about the greatest team ever because comparing teams over different eras is next to impossible to do imo, but dang they are a pleasure to watch play.

What do you make of the Cavs scoring 127 ppg and winning by an average of 30 in the 3 games in Boston in last year's ECF? Did Stevens forget he was a defensive guru?
Cavs had Kyrie then and Boston was a flawed team which struggled to rebound and had a defensive sieve in Isaiah Thomas.

Besides IT being better than Scary Terry, who else would you rather have from last year's roster?

Avery Bradley or Jaylen Brown? Brown easy
Jae Crowder or Jayson Tatum? Tatum by a landslide
Marcus Morris or Kelly Olynyk? Gimme Morris

Baynes is a way better big man option than out of shape Sullinger or Amir Johnson.

Stevens has the horses this year and its showing.

Now I think what the Chief said is kind of putting down the job Stevens has done in Boston. Sure he gets hyped by others (not himself) but what Stevens has accomplished with the make up of the rosters he has is pretty remarkable. Titles or not. He needs to win a title to live up to everyone else’s standards but the job he has done in Boston can’t be ignored. A “solid coach” is not what Stevens is. He is better than than solid. I think he’s proven that. He just isn’t an all timer or a champion.
Maybe...but up until now (unless he wins this series), he's really done no more than Dwayne Casey and the narrative on each could not be more different.

sure, losing Kyrie/Heyward hurts, but to watch this team and say they have "less" while crediting Stevens does a disservice to the players. And as you know, stevens would tell us the same. Sure, Lebron is better than anyone in this series, but at worst, 3 of the next 4 are Celtics.

Cavs had Kyrie then and Boston was a flawed team which struggled to rebound and had a defensive sieve in Isaiah Thomas.

Besides IT being better than Scary Terry, who else would you rather have from last year's roster?

Avery Bradley or Jaylen Brown? Brown easy
Jae Crowder or Jayson Tatum? Tatum by a landslide
Marcus Morris or Kelly Olynyk? Gimme Morris

Baynes is a way better big man option than out of shape Sullinger or Amir Johnson.

Stevens has the horses this year and its showing.
You proved my point. It's the players. Not him.

BTW, while they are better than most think IMO, the vast majority think Korver and Love are defensive sieves. Think people will make that excuse for Lue should the Cavs lose the series? That he no longer has Kyrie, as well? Of course not...only Stevens lost Kyrie.

Many have said this is the worst Cavs team with Lebron and they'll still rip Lue if he does anything other than beat one of the best teams of all time and win the title.

I actually do think this guy is a good coach, but the praise just goes way too far. When they mic him up during a TO, the announcers will make him seem like he just gave a rousing speech to the troops, when he really said what I've told rec kids numerous times. "Back on D, stay focused, hustle, make good passes/get good shots, etc."

Last edited:
You just had to have been there.
Totally. The Boston station that covers the Celtics was showing the game Jordan scored 63 against the Celtics in the playoffs.m the other night. I remember watching the game back then (I’m old) and thinking why does a Tar Heel have to be this good? Ha

You proved my point. It's the players. Not him.
It's him AND the players. Without a clear veteran superstar, reaching the ECF is an impressive accomplishment no matter how you look at it.

I think Stevens is a great coach because of his ability to develop players, in game coaching, managing situations, plays out of TOs, etc. It's not just about the results though they're a byproduct of everything else.

Btw, can we talk about how terrible JR Smith is? I’d trade him ASAP, dude doesn’t make a shot the entire game, comes in mid fourth takes a contested 3 that he bricks then commits a flagrant in transition Turrrible I tell you!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT