ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft '18 Thread.

giphy.gif

While it would be fun tagging known Calipari haters. Why Bother? They're aware of the hypocrisy.

Gotta be healthy MPJr. Right?

That’s probably my #1, but Stevens got a top 5 pick last year at 28, and all the dudes that follow international ball swear that Doncic is the second coming of Christ.

Mitchell Robinson will be an interesting one to watch as well.

I like Grayson Allen, but I really don't see the justification for him being a 1st Round Pick. He's a career .38% 3-point shooter, which is okay, but certainly not elite. He is a very good free three throw shooter, however. It seems like teams are more lenient with a modest outside shot if the guy can shoot free throws well, the logic being that the shot isn't broken it just needs a little time to develop. He's a hard-worker, but I can't ever see him being a starter, personally.

Also, Hamidou Diallo? That's a complete waste of a pick. I don't understand how someone like him gets drafted over Trevon Bluiett.

... I also hate how traditional bigs are under utilized in today's game. There's just a slim chance of seeing Jock Landale, Isaac Haas, or Ethan Happ as NBA regulars.

Mitchell Robinson and Keita Bates-Diop seem like 2nd Round Steals... Also, did anyone catch one of the analysts mentioning Elie Okobo (France) dropping 44 points on Aaron Craft just a month ago? Not sure how much Craft guarded him, but I think that stat is worth repeating.

I like Grayson Allen, but I really don't see the justification for him being a 1st Round Pick. He's a career .38% 3-point shooter, which is okay, but certainly not elite. He is a very good free three throw shooter, however. It seems like teams are more lenient with a modest outside shot if the guy can shoot free throws well, the logic being that the shot isn't broken it just needs a little time to develop. He's a hard-worker, but I can't ever see him being a starter, personally.

Also, Hamidou Diallo? That's a complete waste of a pick. I don't understand how someone like him gets drafted over Trevon Bluiett.

... I also hate how traditional bigs are under utilized in today's game. There's just a slim chance of seeing Jock Landale, Isaac Haas, or Ethan Happ as NBA regulars.

Mitchell Robinson and Keita Bates-Diop seem like 2nd Round Steals... Also, did anyone catch one of the analysts mentioning Elie Okobo (France) dropping 44 points on Aaron Craft just a month ago? Not sure how much Craft guarded him, but I think that stat is worth repeating.
Have to agree about Diallo. Honestly I turned the draft off after SGA went, I didn’t think any other cats would be taken. Also agree with your points about Allen, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a pretty good NBA career.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Wow, that wasn’t a smart bet I don’t think. Bagley has been projected at least top 3 all season.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F312165%2FScreen_Shot_2016-12-08_at_10.52.13_AM.png

This is my suggestion, as I know he’s pretty liberal about most things.
definitely in the lead at the moment.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Have to agree about Diallo. Honestly I turned the draft off after SGA went, I didn’t think any other cats would be taken. Also agree with your points about Allen, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a pretty good NBA career.

He's a tough kid. I think he could be a solid role player. Would love to see him get significant minutes, but I think he's a few years away from even being one of the top bench players

He's a tough kid. I think he could be a solid role player. Would love to see him get significant minutes, but I think he's a few years away from even being one of the top bench players
He doesn’t do anything great, but he does a lot of things pretty well. The NBA can always use players like that, even if they are coming off the bench.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Clarkson will cost, including the luxury tax, some $40-65m the next two years (depending on their team salary above the cap). He's topped out as an average player that puts up superficially good stats due to high volume. He's never once been "good" by any measure: http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/2hDje. If you think he was a 6th Man of the Year candidate, I mean you might not be wrong in the sense that much better but still meh Jamal Crawford is annually a candidate, but he should not be near that conversation. Terrible on defense, with average (at best) efficiency on offense. What is there to like?

It is borderline insane that Cleveland threw in a first for Nance and that terrible contract. It was a straight gift to the Lakers. If LeBron leaves, Gilbert is not paying $300m or more for a fringe playoff team.
trade with LA is Nance and Clarkson for Moritz Wagner

I don't think he'll get a good first, but I think he's worth a late first. He's certainly worth more than a negative asset and 3 draft slots.
a late first, which might as well be throwing a dart? You say this as though it's fact without knowing who a team might like.

If they love(d) a guy at 8 they didn't think they'd get at 11, then who knows?

Nuggets going to be saucy for years to come...they nabbed the best HS player in the country last year to go along with Harris, Jokic, Murray and Barton.
I did like the pick...perfect team to take him. will be a solid team even if he can't play yet or is an injury bust....or they took maybe the top player in the draft at 14?

Not bad. still not even close to a title contender, but a nice move

you can't have the all time wins playing 2/3rds the amount of games they have played in the last 30 years either

True. Cause if K had to play less games, his win % would be higher. Playing in a mega conference with several HOF coaches and elite programs will do that tho.

Duval was a top 5 kid in a very loaded class. Brisco was 10th is a historically weak class. Not quite the same.

That's not helping Briscoe's case there, plus he played 2 years under Cal's excellent development :D

I know I am a Duke fan but I believe he is going to be a pretty good NBA player. He has a stretch forward in Markennen to play alongside. Chicago is going in a positive direction IMO.

It's a nice pairing. The Bulls still need a star player, though, because all their young guys have limited upside. (and Reinsdorf needs to sell because he's trash).

Damn. They must have at least 3 or 4 championships with that kind of talent

Ah, "talent." I love that how players project in 5-7 years is held against how they perform as 18 year olds.

The 2014 Duke recruiting class of Okafor, Winslow, Jones and Allen all won titles AND ALL were selected in the first round. 2015 is still one of my favorite Duke title teams.

As a technical matter, none of them won "titles."

i-am-technically-correct-the-best-kind-of-correct.jpg

It's a nice pairing. The Bulls still need a star player, though, because all their young guys have limited upside. (and Reinsdorf needs to sell because he's trash).

Ah, "talent." I love that how players project in 5-7 years is held against how they perform as 18 year olds.

As a technical matter, none of them won "titles."

i-am-technically-correct-the-best-kind-of-correct.jpg

Ahhhh. I meant to say they each have a 2015 National Championship ring and they were all selected in the first round. Oopsie

Last edited:
It seems like teams are more lenient with a modest outside shot if the guy can shoot free throws well, the logic being that the shot isn't broken it just needs a little time to develop.

It's a sample size issue. For almost every prospect, there's just not enough of a sample size from 3 to make a good projection (Justice Winslow and Josh Jackson are two recent examples). FTs are decent predictors of NBA 3 point success. I like Allen as a 7th guy in a rotation.

Ahhhh. I meant to say they each have a 2015 National Championship ring and they were all selected in the first round. Oopsie

I know, I just love that meme. You're good.

Not a good start for Williams in Boston. Celtics cannot find him and presser has been postponed.

The issue for guys like the Harrison twins, Briscoe, and Duval is that their ranking is based largely on size and athleticism. The idea is that they can develop the needed skills (very often shooting) to compliment their physical advantages. But that doesn't always happen for a variety of reasons. And that idea is why when people argue about "talent" and "Cal should have 3-4 titles" and even "Coach K underachieving with all this talent" is that it ignores that "talent," as most people use it, is about projection and potential. There's no question that a senior Frank Mason was a better college player than a guy like Duval or Briscoe or Andrew Harrison, but he arguably had less "talent." (arguably because at some point talent has to incorporate skill and reasonably projected development, else a guy like Diallo is eternally talented and underachieving, which is pretty unfair).

Frankly there's just way too much credit and blame going to coaches. I'm of the mind now that college coaches should mimic the NBA (which Jay Wright has successfully done) if they're serious about both recruiting and getting players to the NBA. Cal is coming around on the idea by focusing on shooting and (maybe I'm overreading) shifting players down a position (SF to PF) rather than the other way around (like Lyles at SF, Knox at SF w/out other shooting around him). Conversely, Coach K adopting a zone defense is the opposite idea (although I think it's less important on D than on offense). Cal sliding players up a position and K adopting a zone were forced by circumstances, but a shift to overrecruiting wings/guards will help prevent the former, and the latter is sometimes just what you have to do.

The issue for guys like the Harrison twins, Briscoe, and Duval is that their ranking is based largely on size and athleticism. The idea is that they can develop the needed skills (very often shooting) to compliment their physical advantages. But that doesn't always happen for a variety of reasons. And that idea is why when people argue about "talent" and "Cal should have 3-4 titles" and even "Coach K underachieving with all this talent" is that it ignores that "talent," as most people use it, is about projection and potential. There's no question that a senior Frank Mason was a better college player than a guy like Duval or Briscoe or Andrew Harrison, but he arguably had less "talent." (arguably because at some point talent has to incorporate skill and reasonably projected development, else a guy like Diallo is eternally talented and underachieving, which is pretty unfair).

Frankly there's just way too much credit and blame going to coaches. I'm of the mind now that college coaches should mimic the NBA (which Jay Wright has successfully done) if they're serious about both recruiting and getting players to the NBA. Cal is coming around on the idea by focusing on shooting and (maybe I'm overreading) shifting players down a position (SF to PF) rather than the other way around (like Lyles at SF, Knox at SF w/out other shooting around him). Conversely, Coach K adopting a zone defense is the opposite idea (although I think it's less important on D than on offense). Cal sliding players up a position and K adopting a zone were forced by circumstances, but a shift to overrecruiting wings/guards will help prevent the former, and the latter is sometimes just what you have to do.
Let's make it easier and have the players go to a place like, say, Ohio State (random choice of course) where they can be the star of the team and not worry about playing time, where they'll play and being the good "team player".

Jaren Jackson Jr. is the youngest player in this entire draft. He’s 18 right now, and turns 19 September. Dudes gonna be 19 his entire rookie season. Some of these kids are already 20.

ehh i'm not getting political with it because i'm completely over that shit and I don't really care to look at Trump's face that often so we will go with a face that straight up soaks ladies' socks.

CLmwb6kWwAIIKAj.jpg

enjoy.

ADVERTISEMENT