ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft '18 Thread.

giphy.gif

What about the Harrison brothers? The 2013 class was considered a strong class.
Or what about SGA going from a 4 star kid to a lottery kid in a season under Cal? Don’t argue PG success of Cal vs K. That will just make you look ignorant.

Or what about SGA going from a 4 star kid to a lottery kid in a season under Cal? Don’t argue PG success of Cal vs K. That will just make you look ignorant.

He was the 34th ranked player but he did improve tremendously.

Let's make it easier and have the players go to a place like, say, Ohio State (random choice of course) where they can be the star of the team and not worry about playing time, where they'll play and being the good "team player".

?? I have no idea where you're going with this, I just know that Jordan Craw, er, Clarkson is a terrible contract. ;)

Reactions: dtgold88
?? I have no idea where you're going with this, I just know that Jordan Craw, er, Clarkson is a terrible contract. ;)
I'm saying these 5 star guys need to stop going to Kentucky and Duke and come join the Buckeyes.......be the man, not worry about playing time nor position.

who's with me?

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I'm saying these 5 star guys need to stop going to Kentucky and Duke and come join the Buckeyes.......be the man, not worry about playing time nor position.

who's with me?
Markelle Fultz, Ben Simmons, Michael Porter Jr., etc.

Reactions: Big_Blue79

And yet two of his PG's--Irving and Cook--have NBA titles since 2010 :D

Put me in the Nova players aren’t as good of prospects as some make them out to be. Divencenzo went from 6th man to 17th pick based on a couple great games coming off the bench. Mikal Bridges is not a good a prospect as Miles.

Oh wow and that was one of the reasons why he slid so far in the draft. Hope he's ok.
If a franchise can help a guy mature I think Boston is one of those places. It’s mostly up to him though. He has a great chance to play a meaningful role on a contending team.

Reactions: Quavarius
If a franchise can help a guy mature I think Boston is one of those places. It’s mostly up to him though. He has a great chance to play a meaningful role on a contending team.
For the kid's sake I hope you are right, but sometimes guys are what they are. Bigtime change is not usually so easy.

Reactions: AWilli6995
And yet two of his PG's--Irving and Cook--have NBA titles since 2010 :D
Hell you put Wall, Bledsoe, or even Fox with Lebron and they probably win a title too. Helps when you have the best player on earth on your team. Cook happens to be playing with the best team of our generation.

If the rumors are true and AD goes to Golden State, Cook is liable to have 4-5 titles in a few years. Doesn’t make him worth a shit

Fact of the matter is K has had several “Elite” recruits that didn’t live up to the hype at Duke or in the league. Guy doesn’t handle those players well and we’ll get to see it again this year.

Never understood bringing up Harrison twins. In two years they got a Runner up, and a Final Four to go along with a record breaking season (38-1). Plus they're both in the NBA.

Reactions: treyforuk
Never understood bringing up Harrison twins. In two years they got a Runner up, and a Final Four to go along with a record breaking season (38-1). Plus they're both in the NBA.

They were also the unfortunate choice in a late game situation that cost probably 40-0. I still don't understand why the ball was passed in and shot well beyond the 3pt line almost instantaneously. Odd

They were also the unfortunate choice in a late game situation that cost probably 40-0. I still don't understand why the ball was passed in and shot well beyond the 3pt line almost instantaneously. Odd

I respect your opinion, but facts are facts.

You have agree this was also odd. Or you can ignore it due to UK being your rival.

Well you UK guys hyped them up pretty good. Personally I wasn’t impressed with them. Good college players who had thier moments.
Were you not impressed with the players that lost to Villanova?

"Moments" equal Runner up and Final Four banners.

Last edited:
Hell you put Wall, Bledsoe, or even Fox with Lebron and they probably win a title too. Helps when you have the best player on earth on your team. Cook happens to be playing with the best team of our generation.

If the rumors are true and AD goes to Golden State, Cook is liable to have 4-5 titles in a few years. Doesn’t make him worth a shit

Fact of the matter is K has had several “Elite” recruits that didn’t live up to the hype at Duke or in the league. Guy doesn’t handle those players well and we’ll get to see it again this year.

Cal has had several elite recruits that didn't live up to hype as well. Alex Poythress, Isaiah Briscoe, Wenyan Gabrial, the Harrison's. Why you think Cal is immune from that?

Reactions: wesr and AWilli6995

Tremendous hype surrounding both of them as they were supposed to be lottery picks but stayed two years and only one was drafted in the 2nd round and one went undrafted. It happens. Maybe the UK fan whose taking shots at Duke just became a UK fan and didn't know this at all.

Reactions: wesr
Cal has had several elite recruits that didn't live up to hype as well. Alex Poythress, Isaiah Briscoe, Wenyan Gabrial, the Harrison's. Why you think Cal is immune from that?
Briscoe was highly productive at UK, especially defensively and on the glass and there was nobody craftier creating at the rim. Not much need for slow, unathletic PGs that can't shoot in the NBA though. I would take him off that list and add the biggest bust, Labissiere.

I don’t like the talk of busts. Coaches like K, Roy, Self and Calipari get more highly ranked players, so obviously there will be guys who don’t meet expectations. For all the criticism they get, check the scoreboard for salaries of guys they coached in the NBA. Not too mention the success on the college level.

I don’t like the talk of busts. Coaches like K, Roy, Self and Calipari get more highly ranked players, so obviously there will be guys who don’t meet expectations. For all the criticism they get, check the scoreboard for salaries of guys they coached in the NBA. Not too mention the success on the college level.
It's a lose-lose, really. If they under-perform it's the coaches fault. If they excel it's because they were supposed to and would've done it wherever they went no matter the coach.

I'm not saying he hasn't but he hasn't had a guy that was built up like Duval go undrafted. He was built as the truth coming out of high school. Yeah the Twins were hyped but they were 6'5 not very athletic and not overly quick.

Briscoe just wasn't athletic enough for his size. At 6'1 you had either be lightning quick or an elite athlete and Briscoe is none of those. Add in he can't shoot and there's not much room for you in the league.

Wenyen was a guy that should have stuck around. He got much better this year but was still improving. He came into college way to weak and not the most coordinated. He was better with the ball this year (still not good) and he put on a good bit of muscle (still a rail). He was a guy that needed all four years.

Alex is my most disappointing player under Cal. Watched him a couple times in high school and he was an absolute monster. He attacked the rim and took anyone in his way with him. the last time i watched him he broke the rim on a two handed slam from damn near the free throw line and the game had to be stopped. At UK he had flashes of that but just played way to timid. Add in a couple of injuries along the way and you end up with what we got out of him. His senior year he was a tremendous defender and probably the missing piece to the 40-0 team. Dekker killed us and Alex had the size and athleticism to slow him down.

Its all a crap shoot when it comes to these kids but Cal has took several kids that were not considered one and done guys and got them to the league after the first year. I hate it because guys like Orton, Bledsoe, Young, Teague, Bam, and a couple others needed the second year and it would have been a tremendous boost to those teams if those guys do return.

I'm not saying he hasn't but he hasn't had a guy that was built up like Duval go undrafted. He was built as the truth coming out of high school. Yeah the Twins were hyped but they were 6'5 not very athletic and not overly quick.

Briscoe just wasn't athletic enough for his size. At 6'1 you had either be lightning quick or an elite athlete and Briscoe is none of those. Add in he can't shoot and there's not much room for you in the league.

Wenyen was a guy that should have stuck around. He got much better this year but was still improving. He came into college way to weak and not the most coordinated. He was better with the ball this year (still not good) and he put on a good bit of muscle (still a rail). He was a guy that needed all four years.

Alex is my most disappointing player under Cal. Watched him a couple times in high school and he was an absolute monster. He attacked the rim and took anyone in his way with him. the last time i watched him he broke the rim on a two handed slam from damn near the free throw line and the game had to be stopped. At UK he had flashes of that but just played way to timid. Add in a couple of injuries along the way and you end up with what we got out of him. His senior year he was a tremendous defender and probably the missing piece to the 40-0 team. Dekker killed us and Alex had the size and athleticism to slow him down.

Its all a crap shoot when it comes to these kids but Cal has took several kids that were not considered one and done guys and got them to the league after the first year. I hate it because guys like Orton, Bledsoe, Young, Teague, Bam, and a couple others needed the second year and it would have been a tremendous boost to those teams if those guys do return.
Poythress was beyond frustrating. He had the ability to dominate whenever he wanted (like he did against Duke as a freshman) but for whatever reason it was all downhill after that. Like you said, he was way too timid, never took charge, and just sat back and deferred to everyone else. Made no sense at all.

Poythress was beyond frustrating. He had the ability to dominate whenever he wanted (like he did against Duke as a freshman) but for whatever reason it was all downhill after that. Like you said, he was way too timid, never took charge, and just sat back and deferred to everyone else. Made no sense at all.
The quote Tubby used for Azubuike was perfect for Poythress.

Reactions: BC_in_06
It's a lose-lose, really. If they under-perform it's the coaches fault. If they excel it's because they were supposed to and would've done it wherever they went no matter the coach.
Almost like they are the Ty Lue of CBB.

I kid.....I kid.

Reactions: denniden

Same with Duval. He was the odd man out in the lineup Duke played this year. Playing with two elite big men didn't allow for many driving lanes. His game against Florida State and Kansas this year showed me he belongs in the NBA. His shot kinda improved towards the end of the year. Lots of people don't know but he had surgery on his eyes while at Duke to correct his vision and his shooting improved. Wished he would have stayed two years, but can't blame him for leaving especially with what Duke is bringing in next season. His game would have been suited for next year's team or last year's team without Bagley, but ain't no way you turn down Bagley.

Also IIRC, he didn't do any 5 on 5 at the Combine either. He'll find a spot on a roster.

Reactions: denniden
ADVERTISEMENT