ADVERTISEMENT

My Top 25 (sort of) and roster updates

for the 6 main conferences.

https://thediaperdandy.blogspot.com/

I think I've posted this over here the past few years, and some liked the rosters... if not ignore:)
I sent your username to the mods to get fixed, so you should be good to go in a few days or less. This list however is a joke without Kansas State and Tennessee in the top 10. Appreciate the intent, but the content is very unreliable.

Reactions: KisteK
Everything Borden, everything.

It is the tradition of being the winningest team in the sport. It is the tradition that helps recruiting. It is the tradition that fills up the seats in their games, nearly always the leader in attendance.

Last year UK went to the sweet sixteen (they should have gone to the final four if Washington could hit half of his free throws). UK has been to the NCAA more years than any other. UK has won more NCAA games than any other team. So those SEC titles continue to pay off.

Did IU make the sweet sixteen? Did Tennessee make the sweet sixteen? Did Virginia make the sweet sixteen? Did Auburn make the sweet sixteen? Did Arizona make the sweet sixteen?Did Florida make the sweet sixteen? Did North Carolina make the sweet sixteen? Last year UK had a down year, but making the sweet sixteen for a five seed ain't that bad, in fact UK was ranked 17th. Hell UK was supposed to lose to Arizona in the round of 32.
And? Indiana is tied for 4th all-time in NCAA titles. Second in Big 10 titles. Top 10 in wins. Top 10 in NCAAT appearance. Top 10 in NCAAT wins. In other words....tradition out the ass. What's that done for us the past 25 years? My point is Bert, tradition/history doesn't guarantee you jack shit. And that's what you are basing your argument on. Not that UK will be better. Or that AU won't be that good. But that UK has more SEC titles. Therefore, in your opinion, they will win the SEC. Which is silly. Tenn and AU both will be very good; or should be. Both could easily be just as good as UK. Kentucky's history is irrelevant. It guarantees nothing. Not whennit comes to actually playing the games. If it did, well, UK wouldn't have finished BEHIND AU last year.
That's my point Bert.

Lot of folks, IMO, are really sleeping on IU. Return Morgan, Green, Smith and Davis. Bringing in a Top10 class (7th).Langford is a game changer. Fills a ton of needs; ball handler, shooter and an elite scorer. Hunter is a Top 50 kid who can play. Phinisee is a true PG; very underrated. By conference time folks will be all over how good this kid is.
First time in years I've felt like this in regards to an IU team. This team could be among the elite by seasons end.

The new Rupp arena in 2021. This is what you get with tradition and the winningest program.
DgzAKKjW4AIAePX.jpg:large

I sent your username to the mods to get fixed, so you should be good to go in a few days or less. This list however is a joke without Kansas State and Tennessee in the top 10. Appreciate the intent, but the content is very unreliable.

Thanks for the help with the posting issue. Your point is well taken about some of the missing teams.

However, only 9 of the 75 teams in the 6 major conferences don't have a single RSCI Top 100 recruit on their team. In recruiting, this is not good company to be keeping. It's a testament to the coaching jobs that Barnes and Weber have done that they were as good as they were last year.

Tennessee
K-State

Utah
Wash St.
So. Carolina
Ole Miss
Rutgers
Penn St.
Pitt

My list ranks the teams according to talent and experience. Teams without Top 100 talent aren't going to climb too high. That doesn't mean the teams aren't any good. There are several overachievers every year, but the probability is lower at that recruiting level.

Lot of folks, IMO, are really sleeping on IU. Return Morgan, Green, Smith and Davis. Bringing in a Top10 class (7th).Langford is a game changer. Fills a ton of needs; ball handler, shooter and an elite scorer. Hunter is a Top 50 kid who can play. Phinisee is a true PG; very underrated. By conference time folks will be all over how good this kid is.
First time in years I've felt like this in regards to an IU team. This team could be among the elite by seasons end.
Last offseason, you thought IU would make the tourney and kept posting about how Clifton Moore was some hidden gem.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Last offseason, you thought IU would make the tourney and kept posting about how Clifton Moore was some hidden gem.
And? We weren't as good at some spots where I thought we would be; PG and SG. Then we lost Davis. Curtis Jones, a Top 50 SG trsmsfers. That forced Miller to start s walk-on. Even then, we were quite competitve. Easily couldve beaten Duke, UL, MSU and Purdue. Tough losses that if IU had won, they make the tourney.
See guys like you look at records. You pay no attention to anything else. You know like, how much Indiana improved as the season progressed. Nevermind that, right? Or how we had no depth, no PG, couldn't shoot and no big man. Yet we still went .500 in the league. Thus year, those needs have been addressed. Return a lot. Bring in a very good class that is led by Langford. Guys now have a year under their belts with Miller and his system. I like this team. A ton . We will revisit this post. Can't wait to do so.
As for Moore. Just wasn t ready. Talent wise he's a sleeper. I saw him in two IU scrimmages. He was, at times, the BEST player on the floor. Just wasnt ready . We will see this year. But my fear is he will transfer. A lot of talent innfront of him. Still doesn't change my opinion of him. Kid is going to be a really good player. Just might not be at Imdiana. But he will be somewhere.
Man I can't wait for basketball. Gonna shut a lot of you up.

The new Rupp arena in 2021. This is what you get with tradition and the winningest program.
DgzAKKjW4AIAePX.jpg:large
Finally. Hell OSU got a new arena before UK.Laughing In all seriousness. Very nice. And way past due. Though I'm sure the shopping center folks are gonna hate it.:(

Yup, first time you’ve ever been over confident about an IU team. Yup!

Finally. Hell OSU got a new arena before UK.Laughing In all seriousness. Very nice. And way past due. Though I'm sure the shopping center folks are gonna hate it.:(
Hell Rupp's face lift cost most than OSU's facility.:)

No matter how you try to diminish UK basketball you will alway fail because it is the best and tradition makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
And? We weren't as good at some spots where I thought we would be; PG and SG. Then we lost Davis. Curtis Jones, a Top 50 SG trsmsfers. That forced Miller to start s walk-on. Even then, we were quite competitve. Easily couldve beaten Duke, UL, MSU and Purdue. Tough losses that if IU had won, they make the tourney.
See guys like you look at records. You pay no attention to anything else. You know like, how much Indiana improved as the season progressed. Nevermind that, right? Or how we had no depth, no PG, couldn't shoot and no big man. Yet we still went .500 in the league. Thus year, those needs have been addressed. Return a lot. Bring in a very good class that is led by Langford. Guys now have a year under their belts with Miller and his system. I like this team. A ton . We will revisit this post. Can't wait to do so.
As for Moore. Just wasn t ready. Talent wise he's a sleeper. I saw him in two IU scrimmages. He was, at times, the BEST player on the floor. Just wasnt ready . We will see this year. But my fear is he will transfer. A lot of talent innfront of him. Still doesn't change my opinion of him. Kid is going to be a really good player. Just might not be at Imdiana. But he will be somewhere.
Man I can't wait for basketball. Gonna shut a lot of you up.
Couldve, would've, should've. Every basketball team deals with close losses. Indiana was 16-15 with blowout losses to Indiana State and IPFW.

for the 6 main conferences.

https://thediaperdandy.blogspot.com/

I think I've posted this over here the past few years, and some liked the rosters... if not ignore:)
Nice work, and thanks for sharing.

I think you explained your intent pretty well and it’s an interesting- and unique, as far as I know -way to look at it.

The most useful aspect though, is how it gives a graphical snapshot of each roster, showing both the ‘quality’ (at least based on one parameter (recruiting rankings)) as well as what the future holds. For example, even if you ignore ‘quality’, look at OU’s roster situation compared to their rival Texas. OU has only 3 guys expected to still be around in 2021 while Texas has 9. Interesting.

Good job.

Nice work, and thanks for sharing.

I think you explained your intent pretty well and it’s an interesting- and unique, as far as I know -way to look at it.

The most useful aspect though, is how it gives a graphical snapshot of each roster, showing both the ‘quality’ (at least based on one parameter (recruiting rankings)) as well as what the future holds. For example, even if you ignore ‘quality’, look at OU’s roster situation compared to their rival Texas. OU has only 3 guys expected to still be around in 2021 while Texas has 9. Interesting.

Good job.

It’s a horse shit job. He says that the rankings are based entirely on how high recruits have been ranked. If that’s the case leaving Michigan off makes no sense.

No WVU? Its pretty much a given by now that Huggins will find a way to have his team easily in the top 25, even in a down year and this isn't exactly that.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I now have the Big Ten complete with comments etc. It was suggested by one of my helpers that I open up the comments section, that way we could receive info from fans who follow their teams closely.

Some of the guys are pretty successful on Fanduel etc, but additional info is always appreciated. I opened up the comments, but keep in mind that many of the people who request this stuff at work are asking on behalf of their kids. I work with IU, UK and UofL fans and they become addicted to college hoops early in this area. I'll keep comments open as long as its not an issue.

https://thediaperdandy.blogspot.com/p/big-ten-18-19.html

Also, I saw a link to another cool hoops site today. You guys may already know of it, but just in case...

http://www.barttorvik.com/

There's a lot on this site beyond the home page rankings!

Reactions: HawksJ
I now have the Big Ten complete with comments etc. It was suggested by one of my helpers that I open up the comments section, that way we could receive info from fans who follow their teams closely.

Some of the guys are pretty successful on Fanduel etc, but additional info is always appreciated. I opened up the comments, but keep in mind that many of the people who request this stuff at work are asking on behalf of their kids. I work with IU, UK and UofL fans and they become addicted to college hoops early in this area. I'll keep comments open as long as its not an issue.

https://thediaperdandy.blogspot.com/p/big-ten-18-19.html

Also, I saw a link to another cool hoops site today. You guys may already know of it, but just in case...

http://www.barttorvik.com/

There's a lot on this site beyond the home page rankings!

You called Nick Ward a terrific player??

No WVU? Its pretty much a given by now that Huggins will find a way to have his team easily in the top 25, even in a down year and this isn't exactly that.

Huggs can take 5 guys named Ralph and beat top ten teams..He just so happens to have one of his best recruiting classes ever joining the likes Konate, Ahmad, Harris, etc...

OP is lame.

Reactions: Big ol arms
Thanks for the help with the posting issue. Your point is well taken about some of the missing teams.

However, only 9 of the 75 teams in the 6 major conferences don't have a single RSCI Top 100 recruit on their team. In recruiting, this is not good company to be keeping. It's a testament to the coaching jobs that Barnes and Weber have done that they were as good as they were last year.

Tennessee
K-State

Utah
Wash St.
So. Carolina
Ole Miss
Rutgers
Penn St.
Pitt

My list ranks the teams according to talent and experience. Teams without Top 100 talent aren't going to climb too high. That doesn't mean the teams aren't any good. There are several overachievers every year, but the probability is lower at that recruiting level.

I don't understand your logic. Are you saying that you aren't ranking Tenn and KState high because they lack top 100 recruits? If I'm reading that right, that's pretty idiotic.

Isn't KState bringing back basically the entire team (+ healthy D Wade) that went to the elite 8? Also the Big12 won't be as tough top to bottom as last year.

And isn't Tennessee bringing back their entire team from a team that was regular season SEC champ and won a NCAA game?

Not ranking these proven great teams because they lack guys who were stars in high school seems really stupid.

Reactions: della
Did IU make the sweet sixteen? Did Tennessee make the sweet sixteen? Did Virginia make the sweet sixteen? Did Auburn make the sweet sixteen? Did Arizona make the sweet sixteen?Did Florida make the sweet sixteen? Did North Carolina make the sweet sixteen?

Last year UK had a down year, but making the sweet sixteen for a five seed ain't that bad, in fact UK was ranked 17th. Hell UK was supposed to lose to Arizona in the round of 32.
You beat a 12-seed and a 13-seed. And then lost to a 9 seed.

Tennessee
K-State

Utah
Wash St.
So. Carolina
Ole Miss
Rutgers
Penn St.
Pitt

I don't understand your logic. Are you saying that you aren't ranking Tenn and KState high because they lack top 100 recruits? If I'm reading that right, that's pretty idiotic.

Isn't KState bringing back basically the entire team (+ healthy D Wade) that went to the elite 8? Also the Big12 won't be as tough top to bottom as last year.

And isn't Tennessee bringing back their entire team from a team that was regular season SEC champ and won a NCAA game?

Not ranking these proven great teams because they lack guys who were stars in high school seems really stupid.

I think you might be misunderstanding how he put it together. Its either that, or I'm not understanding it, if that's the case just ignore me.

I think what everyone is getting hung up on is they think it's his personal opinion on who the best 25 teams are. But if I'm understanding it correctly then it has nothing to do with his opinion, its strictly based on data.

He took the rankings of the players on the team and added that up. Then he's figured up what a 5* player should average his freshman year then sophomore then so on. So if a team has a 5 star senior, that player should be averaging x amount of production. Then he does the same thing for the remaining players on team. Once all those are added up, he puts all the teams in order of where the numbers say they should be.

If I'm correct, then the MU, WVU and Kansas St. Of the world should take this as a compliment. Because that means that you have a good coach who is exceeding where the numbers say they should be.

One thing in MU case, is even though their recruiting classes have been good enough to be ranked lately, since they've had a lot of early defections to the NBA, its going to cause their numbers to be lower. Another reason for a team who consistently recruited well enough to be ranked here but isn't, is if they had a lot of transfers of high star players because 2bof their 3 stars over performed and took playing time away.

I hope I've got it figured out, but if I'm wrong....OP please let me know.

Eyeroll
that watered down league has more titles than your really watered down league!Eyeroll
Kentucky winning a bunch of titles during the Jim Crow era doesn't make the SEC any deeper.

The B1G has eight teams who have made multiple Final Fours. The SEC has seven total who have made an appearance. And B1G teams have made the final weekend 19 more times than their SEC counterparts.

Kentucky winning a bunch of titles during the Jim Crow era doesn't make the SEC any deeper.

The B1G has eight teams who have made multiple Final Fours. The SEC has seven total who have made an appearance. And B1G teams have made the final weekend 19 more times than their SEC counterparts.
Jim Crow?

UK has won in 1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998 and 2012. Plus UK has been to a bunch of final fours.

When was the last time Purdue won a championship? Jim Crow time? Post Jim Crow times?

Oops I am sorry. Pardoo never won it any time. Hell they have only been to 2 final fours. Sorry Boiler you are a good guy but don't come here with a bunch of shit about UK. UK is the winningest team in the sport, Jim Crow or not. So stop it.

Jim Crow?

UK has won in 1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998 and 2012. Plus UK has been to a bunch of final fours.

When was the last time Purdue won a championship? Jim Crow time? Post Jim Crow times?

Oops I am sorry. Pardoo never won it any time. Hell they have only been to 2 final fours. Sorry Boiler you are a good guy but don't come here with a bunch of shit about UK. UK is the winningest team in the sport, Jim Crow or not. So stop it.
This conversation went from (1) UK's past SEC titles impacting future seasons to (2) the SEC is better than the B1G to (3) Purdue has never won any titles.

Also, I'll have you know actor Ed Helms named Purdue national champs in 1932. So, yeah, how bou dat?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I guess that is why UK has more SEC titles than the rest of the SEC teams combined.

How much money do you want to bet that UK comes in third?
Tennessee kick y'all's ass last year and they will more than likely do it again this year.

Btw, Tennessee had the SEC player of the Year, SEC all conference along with a second team All Conference and the co- 6th man all conference. They may have been underrated last year, but it is kinda dumb for you to under rate them again.

Tennessee kick y'all's ass last year and they will more than likely do it again this year.
Oh my.

153 wins by UK to UT’s 72. Last year Tennessee lost to UK in the finals of the SEC, I did not see the Vols kicking ass. It was a down year for UK last year and an up year for UT. I expect Tennessee to be competitive this year, but I expect UK to have a better team than last.

Plus UK was the youngest team in the NCAA and Vanderbilt missed the first and last part of the season, yet he was drafted into the NBA.

Last edited:
Oh my.

153 wins by UK to UT’s 72. Last year Tennessee lost to UK in the finals of the SEC, I did not see the Vols kicking ass. It was a down year for UK last year and an up year for UT. I expect Tennessee to be competitive this year, but I expect UK to have a better team than last.

Plus UK was the youngest team in the NCAA and Vanderbilt missed the first and last part of the season, yet he was drafted into the NBA.

When are they not the youngest team?

Oh my.

And you guys wonder why Kentucky fans are annoying?

You literally cannot restrain yourselves from irrelevant chest-beating in any given argument.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT