ADVERTISEMENT

My Top 25 (sort of) and roster updates

1636779.gif

How are these ratings formulated?

Louisville and Vanderbilt in the top 10 are both head-scratchers. Also, Nevada and Gonzaga are ranked too low. And where is Tennessee? Not sure I saw them anywhere in the top 35.

Just looking at the ACC Rosters, Deng Adel won't be returning to UL. And FSU's Phil Cofer was granted a 5th year of eligibility. I think it's certainly a helpful list, though, being able to look at the rosters and seeing who's there.

How are these ratings formulated?

Louisville and Vanderbilt in the top 10 are both head-scratchers. Also, Nevada and Gonzaga are ranked too low. And where is Tennessee? Not sure I saw them anywhere in the top 35.

Just looking at the ACC Rosters, Deng Adel won't be returning to UL. And FSU's Phil Cofer was granted a 5th year of eligibility. I think it's certainly a helpful list, though, being able to look at the rosters and seeing who's there.

It's like he picked names out of a hat

for the 6 main conferences.

https://thediaperdandy.blogspot.com/

I think I've posted this over here the past few years, and some liked the rosters... if not ignore:)

Every douche bag out there that thinks he knows basketball and doesn't put a Bob Huggins team on his list cements himself as a douche bag.

Press Virginia says SMD.

No Clemson with 4 starters back off a 25 win sweet 16 and not in your top 35? Please explain.

Iowa St is criminally underrated going into next year.

Not only that, but Texas as the #2 Big XII program, followed by Baylor??

I do not believe I would put my stamp on anything that shat out those numbers.
However, OP got a like because it's a basketball thread in the offseason on top of attempting to promote basketball related talk.

Where would you project Iowa State in the Big XII ('18/'19)?

Tennessee returns every single player. The top 8 scorer's return. They are going to be very, very good.

Tennessee, Auburn, and Kentucky are the best 3 in the SEC going into next season.
umm, Gators return 4 starters too and the replacement starter is a 5 star recruit true freshman. And our bench is way deeper this season because half our team was out like the whole season from injuries last season, so we will be better and more balanced as a team with more bigs and physical presence.

but yeah, forget about us.

umm, Gators return 4 starters too and the replacement starter is a 5 star recruit true freshman. And our bench is way deeper this season because half our team was out like the whole season from injuries last season, so we will be better and more balanced as a team with more bigs and physical presence.

but yeah, forget about us.

Half the team? Come on.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
OP is a ballsack for posting a link and then leaving town

I am the OP. I had no intention of bugging out after the post, since the whole point was to have some basketball discussion. Every time I tried to post again I would get an error message saying that as a free user I could not post again so soon???

I'm assuming that this is some sort of fix for the chinese spam attacks of a year ago.

It's unfortunate that people got so worked up over the rosters. I'll explain a bit, and since I assume I won't be able to post again without opening another new account, I'll be as thorough as necessary.

These ratings are based almost 100% on recruiting rankings (out of HS) and experience level... nothing else. Tennessee, for example, has zero top 100 ranked players on it's roster and only 2 players who received a 4-star rating by more than 1 of the 3 main (free) recruiting services.

Obviously, I think Tennessee will have a very good team next season, but I'm not trying to give an opinion based Top 25. If that was my goal, it would look much like the ones you can already find online in many places.

This is an attempt to give a unique roster perspective. I often have read my preseason magazine and wondered "How high was that kid rated out of HS", so I would look him up. Same thing with junior college players, but it's more difficult to find rankings for JC players. My rosters have the RSCI Top 100 ranking (if there was one) right there beside the kids name. If not in the Top 100, I give the star rating from the 3 main services. So a 3,3,3 means that all three services rated the kid a 3 star prospect.

We've been doing this for years for our college hoops fantasy league. Over time it evolved and we found average production levels for each recruiting level as frosh, soph, junior and senior. Eventually one of the guys had the idea to rate the rosters in effort to discover which coaches accomplished more with less and vice versa.

Beilein is one who's team very consistently outperforms his roster rating. I like Michigan, because I think Beilein is an awesome coach. I feel that I can quantify just how awesome he is because I know just how much he outperforms his level of recruits.

Honestly, I don't think more explanation is necessary on a dedicated college hoops site. I would have thought that most college hoops nuts would think this kind of thing at least somewhat interesting. If not, that's cool too.

UT should be the favorite to win the SEC after the pre season UK hype wears off.

1 UT
2 Auburn
3 uk

You should be able to get a great price on that bet. Post a screenshot of your ticket when conference championship betting opens up.

I am the OP. I had no intention of bugging out after the post, since the whole point was to have some basketball discussion. Every time I tried to post again I would get an error message saying that as a free user I could not post again so soon???

I'm assuming that this is some sort of fix for the chinese spam attacks of a year ago.

It's unfortunate that people got so worked up over the rosters. I'll explain a bit, and since I assume I won't be able to post again without opening another new account, I'll be as thorough as necessary.

These ratings are based almost 100% on recruiting rankings (out of HS) and experience level... nothing else. Tennessee, for example, has zero top 100 ranked players on it's roster and only 2 players who received a 4-star rating by more than 1 of the 3 main (free) recruiting services.

Obviously, I think Tennessee will have a very good team next season, but I'm not trying to give an opinion based Top 25. If that was my goal, it would look much like the ones you can already find online in many places.

This is an attempt to give a unique roster perspective. I often have read my preseason magazine and wondered "How high was that kid rated out of HS", so I would look him up. Same thing with junior college players, but it's more difficult to find rankings for JC players. My rosters have the RSCI Top 100 ranking (if there was one) right there beside the kids name. If not in the Top 100, I give the star rating from the 3 main services. So a 3,3,3 means that all three services rated the kid a 3 star prospect.

We've been doing this for years for our college hoops fantasy league. Over time it evolved and we found average production levels for each recruiting level as frosh, soph, junior and senior. Eventually one of the guys had the idea to rate the rosters in effort to discover which coaches accomplished more with less and vice versa.

Beilein is one who's team very consistently outperforms his roster rating. I like Michigan, because I think Beilein is an awesome coach. I feel that I can quantify just how awesome he is because I know just how much he outperforms his level of recruits.

Honestly, I don't think more explanation is necessary on a dedicated college hoops site. I would have thought that most college hoops nuts would think this kind of thing at least somewhat interesting. If not, that's cool too.

That just makes it even more confusing to be because there is no chance in hall a team like TCU has a roster of higher ranked recruits than Michigan.

That just makes it even more confusing to be because there is no chance in hall a team like TCU has a roster of higher ranked recruits than Michigan.
They have recruiting pretty damn well recently. This year they bring in a 4-star top 100 guy and the top JUCO recruit in the country. They have a few other 4-star guys on their roster as well.

Reactions: ravenman10
Better than Michigan? I think we have about 10 top 150 guys with better top end recruits (Iggy, Matthews)
I never said better than Michigan, just that they were recruiting well the past few years. Not gonna go through their entire roster, but I know their starting PG, Jaylen Fischer, was a highly ranked guy. They brought in some good JUCO's as well.

Reactions: KisteK
I never said better than Michigan, just that they were recruiting well the past few years. Not gonna go through their entire roster, but I know their starting PG, Jaylen Fischer, was a highly ranked guy. They brought in some good JUCO's as well.

Okay well my post was saying it’s odd to have tcu over Michigan if it’s by rankings.

Tennessee returns every single player. The top 8 scorer's return. They are going to be very, very good.

Tennessee, Auburn, and Kentucky are the best 3 in the SEC going into next season.

with LSU and Vanderbilt rounding out the top 5?

I guess that is why UK has more SEC titles than the rest of the SEC teams combined.

How much money do you want to bet that UK comes in third?
Bert I love ya man. But what does how many SEC titles UK has won have anything to do with next year? I mean what did those 440 SEC titles do for them last year?

I guess that is why UK has more SEC titles than the rest of the SEC teams combined.

How much money do you want to bet that UK comes in third?

If they don’t the excuse will be the team is too young and wait until the tournament

Bert I love ya man. But what does how many SEC titles UK has won have anything to do with next year? I mean what did those 440 SEC titles do for them last year?
Everything Borden, everything.

It is the tradition of being the winningest team in the sport. It is the tradition that helps recruiting. It is the tradition that fills up the seats in their games, nearly always the leader in attendance.

Last year UK went to the sweet sixteen (they should have gone to the final four if Washington could hit half of his free throws). UK has been to the NCAA more years than any other. UK has won more NCAA games than any other team. So those SEC titles continue to pay off.

Did IU make the sweet sixteen? Did Tennessee make the sweet sixteen? Did Virginia make the sweet sixteen? Did Auburn make the sweet sixteen? Did Arizona make the sweet sixteen?Did Florida make the sweet sixteen? Did North Carolina make the sweet sixteen? Last year UK had a down year, but making the sweet sixteen for a five seed ain't that bad, in fact UK was ranked 17th. Hell UK was supposed to lose to Arizona in the round of 32.

Reactions: treyforuk
ADVERTISEMENT