ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Avenetti naming names...

USMC Cat

Jun 24, 2009
Avenatti is out of jail and firing off names on Twitter. So far he has insinuated that Arizona cheated to get DeAndre Ayton, Oregon cheated to get Bol Bol and UNLV cheated to get Brandon McCoy.

On his Twitter account Tuesday morning, Avenatti wrote, "Ask Deandre Ayton and Nike about the cash payments to his mother and others. Nike’s attempt at diversion and cover-up will fail miserably once prosecutors realize they have been played by Nike and their lawyers at [the law firm Boies, Schiller & Flexner]. This reaches the highest levels of Nike." Ayton played collegiately for one year at Arizona before becoming the first pick in the NBA draft last year. Avenatti included no specifics to back up his allegation.

Avenatti also claimed Oregon freshman center Bol Bol, a top-five NBA prospect and the son of former NBA player Manute Bol, “received large sums of money from Nike,” and the attorney even attempted to implicate Nike director of elite youth basketball Carlton DeBose.

And of course, Avenatti didn’t stop there. He brought up Adidas consultant Merl Code, who received a six-month prison sentence for his role in college basketball’s federal fraud scandal.

He also tweets out "And Duke".

Blackmail, or legit? Or both?

Reactions: wrbchWolfPack81
Avenatti is out of jail and firing off names on Twitter. So far he has insinuated that Arizona cheated to get DeAndre Ayton, Oregon cheated to get Bol Bol and UNLV cheated to get Brandon McCoy.

On his Twitter account Tuesday morning, Avenatti wrote, "Ask Deandre Ayton and Nike about the cash payments to his mother and others. Nike’s attempt at diversion and cover-up will fail miserably once prosecutors realize they have been played by Nike and their lawyers at [the law firm Boies, Schiller & Flexner]. This reaches the highest levels of Nike." Ayton played collegiately for one year at Arizona before becoming the first pick in the NBA draft last year. Avenatti included no specifics to back up his allegation.

Avenatti also claimed Oregon freshman center Bol Bol, a top-five NBA prospect and the son of former NBA player Manute Bol, “received large sums of money from Nike,” and the attorney even attempted to implicate Nike director of elite youth basketball Carlton DeBose.

And of course, Avenatti didn’t stop there. He brought up Adidas consultant Merl Code, who received a six-month prison sentence for his role in college basketball’s federal fraud scandal.

I don't think that's how blackmail works.

Word on the street is Luke Maye did "favors" to win something called a "Skip Prosser Award". Can anyone confirm or clarify? It may be totally fabricated.

glory%20hole.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the Duke tweet was at 4am, so I'm guessing he was drunk tweeting

Okay, so. Avenatti is a piece of shit. Nike reps are pieces of shit. AAU clubs... shit. Parents of players taking money... also shit (and I don’t buy they are innocent bystanders in all of this.) Corruption from top to bottom. Even the innocent are guilty.

Okay, so. Avenatti is a piece of shit. Nike reps are pieces of shit. AAU clubs... shit. Parents of players taking money... also shit (and I don’t buy they are innocent bystanders in all of this.) Corruption from top to bottom. Even the innocent are guilty.
That seems to sum it up.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

This guy seems like the Villain of a novel. He is an intelligent evil person that has no bounds on him as he seeks to destroy and use the innocent as stepping stones on the path to his malevolent ends.

destroy and use the innocent as stepping stones on the path to his malevolent ends.

I don’t know if there’s anyone innocent in this situation. I think pretty much anyone he steps on here is at least somewhat guilty.

Maybe I’m just jaded at this point. Is it time to bring back the “does your school cheat” poll?

Reactions: I am stupid
I don’t know if there’s anyone innocent in this situation. I think pretty much anyone he steps on here is at least somewhat guilty.

Maybe I’m just jaded at this point. Is it time to bring back the “does your school cheat” poll?
Probably true, but innocent to how truly evil he is.

The stuff cant be over soon enough. Its not controllable b/c it involves people a school cant monitor, a parent cant monitor, a player cant monitor, and outside influences that cannot be monitored to a degree it would even make it somewhat effective. Start over--pass enforceable guidelines, and let basketball go back to being about basketball.

Reactions: Jhawks
Which is why nothing will happen. Goes too deep. Idiots caught on wiretaps will get punished the rest not so much. I mean how do you punish a school when the FBI and federal courts have made them the victim?

I mean how do you punish a school when the FBI and federal courts have made them the victim?

If the coaches are involved, and the FBI doesn’t consider them to be a representative of the school, then they definitely could. My understanding is that’s the big distinction between how the FBI views the coaching staffs versus how the NCAA does.

I guess you could make the argument that the coaches should be punished and not the schools in that case, but my guess is if the NCAA is on campus as a result of any of this, they’ll find things they can punish you, even if it isn’t directly related to this.

Edit to add: Just hope nobody was stupid enough to be directly linked like seems to be the case at NC State (Gottfried), LSU (Wade), etc.

Last edited:
I wish the NCAA death penalty on any program with fans who bury their heads and say "Any proof?!?"

I wish the NCAA death penalty on any program with fans who bury their heads and say "Any proof?!?"
When posters make unproven allegations against a program, what should the response be?

Please enlighten us oh message board expert.

When posters make unproven allegations against a program, what should the response be?

Please enlighten us oh message board expert.

Usually I just tell them to go catch AIDS and die a slow, painful death.

Aren't you a Kansas fan? Lol

Your point?

Although, technically, we could still bury our heads and demand proof and point to contradictory testimony under oath. But what's obvious is obvious.

Not really.

Everyone wallows in the "misery" of the fans of Adidas schools (plus AZ) right now, while burying their heads and ignoring the obvious.

I mean...best case scenario for the top Nike schools is that K, Calipari and Roy don't personally get involved. But does it really matter? Is looking the other way and continuing to recruit the same types of players any better?

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Using Duke as an example here. A player who went to Duke can be paid and not by Duke. Or even to the knowledge of Duke. So the argument that some programs have to pay, but Duke doesn't, is not the smartest way of looking at it.

Whether or not the programs are involved directly, aware and turn a blind eye or not aware at all is all speculation at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT