ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse next head coach

brooky03

Jan 10, 2012
This will be Syracuse’s worst season of my lifetime. So the natural thought is who Cuse gets to replace the old guy. He’s lost his fastball and can’t rely on upperclassmen who know the zone, like he used to.

Anyway, what are some potential names out there? Cuse has the money and facilities to theoretically hire whoever they want.

I’m leaning Rick Pitino. We get punished for cheating even when we haven’t cheated so I don’t see the downside of hiring a cheater. Our current coach killed a man, so…

I think Pitino would be a heck of a hire. I’d be nervous in ACC play for sure.

Speaking of ACC play, I was on the road for work all week so wasn’t on here much @brooky03 but got dang I’m still baffled by Cuse beating FSU in Tuck. No offense. But we just don’t lose there often. And from my seats, Cuse didn’t even play that well.

It was the worst shooting night for FSU at home since 2016. And most shots were open. Our dudes just straight choked on a D.

I think Pitino would be a heck of a hire. I’d be nervous in ACC play for sure.

Speaking of ACC play, I was on the road for work all week so wasn’t on here much @brooky03 but got dang I’m still baffled by Cuse beating FSU in Tuck. No offense. But we just don’t lose there often. And from my seats, Cuse didn’t even play that well.

It was the worst shooting night for FSU at home since 2016. And most shots were open. Our dudes just straight choked on a D.

Syracuse ranks dead last in 3 point defense and will have a losing record this year. Chalk it up as an anomaly and pretend it didn’t happen. That will be SU’s best win all season.

Pitino is almost 70. Why would they hire some old ass dude that would only be there for a couple years and then have to start all over again?
The average college coaching tenure is roughly 5 years. Given how great a coach he is and how awful the ACC is right how he'd probably have them contending well before the clock started ticking on him.

The average college coaching tenure is roughly 5 years. Given how great a coach he is and how awful the ACC is right how he'd probably have them contending well before the clock started ticking on him.
The clock started ticking on him a long time ago though. I just don't see why an established program like Syracuse would make a move like that. I would assume most major programs intend to hire a long-term coach every time they make a hire, not a short-term rental.

The clock started ticking on him a long time ago though. I just don't see why an established program like Syracuse would make a move like that. I would assume most major programs intend to hire a long-term coach every time they make a hire, not a short-term rental.
But he pisses excellence.

I'd like to see them hire Rony Seikaly

Reactions: Random UK Fan
This will be Syracuse’s worst season of my lifetime. So the natural thought is who Cuse gets to replace the old guy. He’s lost his fastball and can’t rely on upperclassmen who know the zone, like he used to.

Anyway, what are some potential names out there? Cuse has the money and facilities to theoretically hire whoever they want.

I’m leaning Rick Pitino. We get punished for cheating even when we haven’t cheated so I don’t see the downside of hiring a cheater. Our current coach killed a man, so…
no worries Syracuse will somehow finish regular season 18-10 and made the tourney again like last year.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
no worries Syracuse will somehow finish regular season 18-10 and made the tourney again like last year.
With at least a couple losses to teams that will finish in the bottom 50, I just don’t see that happening this year. The team can’t defend anybody.

Pitino is almost 70. Why would they hire some old ass dude that would only be there for a couple years and then have to start all over again?

Keep the program relevant until they get the long term solution.

Cuse has a talent problem right now, which has never really been a problem before the last few years. Pitino can recruit instantly. Who knows what the other head coach options will be able to bring in. I’m worried SU will go with an up and coming coach who won’t be able to draw 4 and 5 stars immediately.

Keep the program relevant until they get the long term solution.

Cuse has a talent problem right now, which has never really been a problem before the last few years. Pitino can recruit instantly. Who knows what the other head coach options will be able to bring in. I’m worried SU will go with an up and coming coach who won’t be able to draw 4 and 5 stars immediately.
Keep them relevant? They've been posting double-digit loss seasons for quite a while now. They need a fresh start, not a place holder that will just delay that.

Keep them relevant? They've been posting double-digit loss seasons for quite a while now. They need a fresh start, not a place holder that will just delay that.
A placeholder who can get them back in the top 25 consistently would ease that transition.

A placeholder who can get them back in the top 25 consistently would ease that transition.
It's just a waste of everyone's time. So Pitino comes in for a couple years and has all the players he wants and is running the program how he wants it? Then what? He leaves and someone else comes in to do it all over again? You know recruits are gonna be asking how long he's gonna be around too. With free agency in college basketball now all his players would just leave as soon as he did.

It's not a waste of time if they reach a Final 4 and are hanging around in the T10. UK fan sounds like a Syracuse rival ITT. The ACC is terrible, there aren't many great coaches left in the game. Any program that were to take on Pitino for a handful of years would be wise.

RollLaugh RollLaugh RollLaugh

It's not a waste of time if they reach a Final 4 and are hanging around in the T10. UK fan sounds like a Syracuse rival ITT. The ACC is terrible, there aren't many great coaches left in the game. Any program that were to take on Pitino for a handful of years would be wise.

RollLaugh RollLaugh RollLaugh
Hiring a 70+ year old Pitino with all his baggage reeks of desperation. There's a reason he's at a school like Iona right now.

Reactions: shields
Hiring a 70+ year old Pitino with all his baggage reeks of desperation. There's a reason he's at a school like Iona right now.
Their current coach killed somebody.

The fact he is coaching Iona tells me there are a lot of real dumb athletic directors, but Iona's ain't one of them. These AD's are just morons. It's a business, and there is scum at every corner.

To be clear, I hope he stays right where he is, or retires ASAP. I don't really need to see him in a Final Four or being some March Madness Media story I got enough back pain in my life. I certainly don't need him coaching at Syracuse.

He's a Boeheim former assistant, I don't know if they are still tight, but if they are don't be shocked if he gets the call.

I know for a fact John Beilein would take it. So if you are gonna go with an old coach might as well take one without the baggage.

Reactions: brooky03
I think the "baggage" talk is overplayed, just my opinion of course.

They said the same thing about Calipari's baggage at UK. Sampson had baggage at Houston, how that turn out? A lot of fans have questions about "how" Drew was running Baylor right?

Admit, okay yes the age of a new hire is a real thing. It is.

Without doing research wonder what the last 50 or so P5 hires look like now. How many HRs truly got hit? Maybe 10-20%? If we're being generous?

UNC hired Mack Brown two years ago when he was almost 68. UNC is brining in a top 10 recruiting class next year. UNC knew he wasn't a long-term solution. But, a solid 5-7 year guy that could re-energize the program.

I think the same could be said for Pitino. Even though Cuse has had a couple of decent runs in March, it still feels like the program has stagnated a bit over the past 8 years. Pitino could have them as a top 10 team by year 3. I think everyone hates playing against Pitino. That stingy defense really wears teams down. Give him a team full of athletes. Yeah, he could do amazing work in just a 5 year window.

Roy is available, K will be next year. Hire Pitino and those 2 as a package deal. Give you about 200 years of experience on staff.....

ADVERTISEMENT