ADVERTISEMENT

Mac McClung is a freak of nature

He already looks like the photo his older self will be looking at when he's reminiscing about his youth.

636373682594239581-mcclung-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reminds me of Russ Smith. Fearless take it to the rack mentality.

Yeah he seems really good defensively and getting to the hole and finishing already.

If he doesn't improve at all in his college career, hes still a rich mans Theo Pinson already, which is a valuable player anyways.

Reactions: kl40504
Watched him last night in Champaign. Blew by everyone who tried guarding him. Shot looks broke, don’t think he made a jump shot. Defensively he picked up a 3rd foul early in the 2nd half but then the Illini stopped going at him.

Not playing JV teams now. Wrong again on McClung.

Like I said, it's hard to properly assess his ability when he was playing against poor competition in high school. I never definitively said he couldn't play D-1 basketball at a power school.

But for what it's worth, Mac hasn't exactly been efficient. 10 for 34 from the floor (35.3%) and 0 for 11 from 3. He also has 2.7 turnovers in 25 minutes of action (as an off-guard, no less). His Player Efficiency Rating currently stands at 6.0, which is very, very pedestrian. For reference, 15.0 is an average Player Efficiency Rating.

We don't need to write him off, just yet. He's only played 3 games. But don't expect Donte DiVenczo right out of the gate.

Like I said, it's hard to properly assess his ability when he was playing against poor competition in high school. I never definitively said he couldn't play D-1 basketball at a power school.

But for what it's worth, Mac hasn't exactly been efficient. 10 for 34 from the floor (35.3%) and 0 for 11 from 3. He also has 2.7 turnovers in 25 minutes of action (as an off-guard, no less). His Player Efficiency Rating currently stands at 6.0, which is very, very pedestrian. For reference, 15.0 is an average Player Efficiency Rating.

We don't need to write him off, just yet. He's only played 3 games. But don't expect Donte DiVenczo right out of the gate.
We all know you changed your rivals name. I am sure you were ashamed to be called out about McClung when you had been bashing him the last two years. You were on rivals as VaBluedevil33 and recently changed to dukedevilz. When you were VaBluedevil33 you originally said he was not good enough to play D1 basketball. He is starting for Georgetown as a freshman and Coach Ewing said after the game that McClung and Akinjo were the future guards for the team. He had 12 points, 3 rebounds and 4 assists in 28 minutes against a very good Illinois team. You have continued to bash him as not a good player. He is proving you wrong as I told you he would. Nobody said he was as good as DiVenczo. He is a freshman starting for a major college program. Not bad for a player from a small school in southwest Virginia and somebody you said was not good enough to play D1 basketball.

Well, I never called Mac a JV player. I merely said he was playing JV teams. Which is true. Just about every team they played in Virginia (this are small schools, mind you) they defeated by 30+ points. Gate City played 3 teams in the top 1000 all season long. So Mac is interesting case because he doesn't have a large sample size to properly evaluate him against say a 4-star recruit. Some Hoya fans are very high on Mac, and some think he might even be starting this season. So that's great for Mac. Wish him luck. I stand by my comments, however. It's hard to properly assess someone's ability when they're essentially playing against JV-caliber talent.
McClung is starting for Georgetown and scored a career high 38 points in an overtime win Saturday. Pretty good for a small town Virginia player that played mostly against Junior Varsity competition in High School.

Reactions: Mgkcbb and Mac9192
McClung is starting for Georgetown and scored a career high 38 points in an overtime win Saturday. Pretty good for a small town Virginia player that played mostly against Junior Varsity competition in High School.

He scored 38 against little rock. He’s trash just like Georgetown.

Reactions: klize17

Im a youth basketball coaching legend who does my own recruiting rankings and I had him as a 5 star prospect in my rankings. Looks like hes proving me right.

You try too hard. He had a decent stat line, sure. And only 2 turnovers. Not bad. But if you think you are helping your argument about what kind of competition he does this against, you are an idiot. Obviously he is going to start for any team that needs overtime to beat Little Rock. It's not like he did it in an overtime win vs a top 10 team. Or even top 150 team. He has scored 20 points or more the same amount of games that he has scored zero (1). If it weren't for this miracle game vs Little Rock, he'd be struggling to average double figures. He sucks it up all year and after his second decent game, first good one, you come back with his nut dripping from your mouth gloating about how you were right. It is very weird how obsessed you are with an 18 year old boy.

Reactions: sgrooms
Honestly, I'm sure Mac will be fine. Looks like he'll be a 4-year starter at Georgetown. I imagine he'll be at least all-conference type by time he's a junior or senior.

But, what exactly was wrong with my original statement? I said it's hard to properly assess his ability when he's essentially playing against JV teams. You play 3 teams in the top 1000 in the country your senior year - well, not a whole lot to go by. He's been playing a lot better lately. And that's great. I wasn't hating against the kid. Simply saying there wasn't much of a sample size against quality competition. He might have been good enough to be a borderline 4-star recruit... but let's not pretend like he's a 5-star recruit. He'll be a great player for Gtown for 4 years. But, a 5-star recruit means you're flirting with being a OAD. Mac is nowhere near ready for the NBA.

You try too hard. He had a decent stat line, sure. And only 2 turnovers. Not bad. But if you think you are helping your argument about what kind of competition he does this against, you are an idiot. Obviously he is going to start for any team that needs overtime to beat Little Rock. It's not like he did it in an overtime win vs a top 10 team. Or even top 150 team. He has scored 20 points or more the same amount of games that he has scored zero (1). If it weren't for this miracle game vs Little Rock, he'd be struggling to average double figures. He sucks it up all year and after his second decent game, first good one, you come back with his nut dripping from your mouth gloating about how you were right. It is very weird how obsessed you are with an 18 year old boy.
Nice reply. Now you can go back to your mommy's basement where you are living rent free.

Honestly, I'm sure Mac will be fine. Looks like he'll be a 4-year starter at Georgetown. I imagine he'll be at least all-conference type by time he's a junior or senior.

But, what exactly was wrong with my original statement? I said it's hard to properly assess his ability when he's essentially playing against JV teams. You play 3 teams in the top 1000 in the country your senior year - well, not a whole lot to go by. He's been playing a lot better lately. And that's great. I wasn't hating against the kid. Simply saying there wasn't much of a sample size against quality competition. He might have been good enough to be a borderline 4-star recruit... but let's not pretend like he's a 5-star recruit. He'll be a great player for Gtown for 4 years. But, a 5-star recruit means you're flirting with being a OAD. Mac is nowhere near ready for the NBA.
All I know is you want 4 yrs dudes like that in your program.

All I know is you want 4 yrs dudes like that in your program.
Absolutely. I think anyone would want him as a four year player. It was just weird how dukedevils got blasted for giving reasonable expectations for a kid based on logical thinking. And then after the kid has his first big game against a nobody, the guy who blasted him basically declares victory.

Absolutely. I think anyone would want him as a four year player. It was just weird how dukedevils got blasted for giving reasonable expectations for a kid based on logical thinking. And then after the kid has his first big game against a nobody, the guy who blasted him basically declares victory.
VaBlueDevil33 is the one that said Mac was not good enough to play major college basketball. I did not blast dukedevils. He only stated Mac had not played very good competition. More like JV competition. However Mac had played several games against very good competition in the Arby's classic and otherwise and had done just fine. VaBluedevil33 has disappeared from the board after blasting Mac several times last year. Guess he finally realized the heat in the kitchen was too hot.

Funny. I didn't even notice the color of his skin. I just saw an average basketball player who can jump.
An average basketball player does not start for a major college basketball team. Evidently you don't know basketball.

Last edited:
An average basketball player does not start for a major college basketball team. Evidently you don't know basketball.

Please. I watched Quade Green start 20 games at the University of Kentucky. If he's not the definition of average I don't know what is.

Please. I watched Quade Green start 20 games at the University of Kentucky. If he's not the definition of average I don't know what is.
Then you don't know what an average high school basketball player looks like. Shows how intelligent you are.

Evidently you don't know what the word average means. How many average basketball players in High School get full scholarships to college?
He was an above average basketball player in his high school circuit. He is an average college basketball player. If we are judging how good basketball players are based on them recieving scholarships, there are far more failures than success stories. There are over 4,000 D1 scholarships in men's basketball. Do you really think that all 4,000+ are above average basketball players?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT