ADVERTISEMENT

Mac McClung is a freak of nature

rivals_post_zps3f9roh6e.jpg

Apparently my content was inappropriate... was it the JV Comment? I sure do know how to hurl some vicious insults.
Since you think Gate City only plays against teams that couldn't compete with JV teams you might want to check out today's basketball game. Gate City beat the Cleveland Blue Raiders from Cleveland Tennessee 82-72. Cleveland is the number 4 ranked team in 6A (the largest classification in Tennessee}. Mac McClung scored 41 points in this game while closing in on the Virginia state scoring record held by Allen Iverson.

Last edited:
Since you think Gate City only plays against teams that couldn't compete with JV teams you might want to check out today's basketball game. Gate City beat the Cleveland Blue Raiders from Cleveland Tennessee 82-72. Cleveland is the number 4 ranked team in 6A (the largest classification in Tennessee}. Mac McClung scored 41 points in this game while closing in on the Virginia state scoring record held by Allen Iverson.
And he is going to G'Town just like Iverson. I think this guy is who Post Malone was talking about in his song.

Reactions: lkc1234
Same old Mac McClung and this was against the number 4 ranked team in 6A in Tennessee. He plays pretty good against those teams not good enough to beat a JV team according to dukedevilz.

rivals_post_zps3f9roh6e.jpg

Apparently my content was inappropriate... was it the JV Comment? I sure do know how to hurl some vicious insults.
Haven't heard much from you lately. Did Mac McClung embarrass you by scoring 41 in a victory against the number 4 ranked team in 6A in Tennessee? Or do you also consider them a team that couldn't compete with most JV teams.

Haven't heard much from you lately. Did Mac McClung embarrass you by scoring 41 in a victory against the number 4 ranked team in 6A in Tennessee? Or do you also consider them a team that couldn't compete with most JV teams.

Oh, did you miss me? Super flattering, bruh.

I stand by my comments. He plays weaker competition on a regular basis. That inflates his stats... and his highlights. He is a solid player, though. He is a D-1 player. I'm not disputing that. I just don't know how well he'll play on the big stage (ala his AAU Stats being far from stellar). And for the record, I'm not overly impressed with that highlight video. I read somewhere that he had 34 free throw attempts.... 40 points on 7 made field-goals? How many was it? Would love to see the box score on that one.

He's a nice player, I just don't know why you're still trying to engage in a conversation. He plays weaker competition; a 39 point average margin of victory is ridiculous (in-state schools). But he does have a solid team, I mean I don't think the sports writers are going to vote Gate City in as the #11 team in the state if they couldn't compete against better teams. They just don't get a whole lot of quality games.

I stand by my comments. He plays weaker competition on a regular basis. That inflates his stats... and his highlights. He is a solid player, though. He is a D-1 player. I'm not disputing that. I just don't know how well he'll play on the big stage (ala his AAU Stats being far from stellar). And for the record, I'm not overly impressed with that highlight video. I read somewhere that he had 34 free throw attempts.... 40 points on 7 made field-goals? How many was it? Would love to see the box score on that one.

He's a nice player, I just don't know why you're still trying to engage in a conversation. He plays weaker competition; a 39 point average margin of victory is ridiculous (in-state schools). But he does have a solid team, I mean I don't think the sports writers are going to vote Gate City in as the #11 team in the state if they couldn't compete against better teams. They just don't get a whole lot of quality games.
You are the one that stated he played competition that couldn't compete with JV teams. That is a ridiculous statement considering his team has beaten a top 5 ranked team in Kentucky and a top 4 ranked 6A team in Tennessee. You are starting to change your tune after bashing the kid for no reason. How many times have you seen him play personally? I have seen almost every game Gate City has played in the last three years. They do play weaker competition since they are a 2A school with a small enrollment. It is not their fault they are required to play schools of similar size in their state and district.They have gone out of their way to schedule big schools as evidenced by playing in the Arby's classic and playing Cleveland Tennessee. They have certainly held their own by beating two larger 6A out of state schools this year in which McClung scored over 40 points in each game.

Last edited:
Whatever he is, or isn't, to you guys, I hope he ends up at a decent school.
One that's televised on the reg.

He's going to Georgetown isnt he?
I dunno, I skimmed the thread. I see this kid on Twitter, the other day on SC and then on here.

But, damnit, just Googled. Best of luck with him at Georgetown.
I like the nBE enough, their fans tho... yikes.

I think the Hoyas got a good one.

I don't know how good he is, but after the hype, stats, and videos being listed ITT, I along with all other Big10 fans are so happy he is not going to Iowa.

Reactions: toonces11
Mac McClung should be a 5 star. Hes going to absolutely crush in college

Kind of surprised this thread is still going on. What are you boys talking about?

Same old Mac McClung and this was against the number 4 ranked team in 6A in Tennessee. He plays pretty good against those teams not good enough to beat a JV team according to dukedevilz.

HS Basketball is not good in east Tennessee

Mac McClung is solid tho. I know his uncle. WV boy. Was a pitcher in MLB.

Last edited:

Have you heard anything about how your favorite JV player is doing at Georgetown. LKC1234 thinks he will start or play a lot this year.

Have you heard anything about how your favorite JV player is doing at Georgetown. LKC1234 thinks he will start or play a lot this year.

Well, I never called Mac a JV player. I merely said he was playing JV teams. Which is true. Just about every team they played in Virginia (this are small schools, mind you) they defeated by 30+ points. Gate City played 3 teams in the top 1000 all season long. So Mac is interesting case because he doesn't have a large sample size to properly evaluate him against say a 4-star recruit. Some Hoya fans are very high on Mac, and some think he might even be starting this season. So that's great for Mac. Wish him luck. I stand by my comments, however. It's hard to properly assess someone's ability when they're essentially playing against JV-caliber talent.

Reactions: KisteK
Yes, he is going to Georgetown. I think he's probs the 2nd white kid in program history. Also, Riff Raff is his cousin. Laughing
John Thompson is probably disappointed about this. I see this kid in four years being in that college dunk contest for guys who’s teams suck so bad they couldn’t even make the tournament. Can remember who it was, but s few years back there was some white kid that was in the dunk contest that played for some school that sounded made up that was like 5’8 and could jump out of the gym. Needless to say, he won and I’m sure in four years this kid will also

Reactions: Todoubled23
Well, I never called Mac a JV player. I merely said he was playing JV teams. Which is true. Just about every team they played in Virginia (this are small schools, mind you) they defeated by 30+ points. Gate City played 3 teams in the top 1000 all season long. So Mac is interesting case because he doesn't have a large sample size to properly evaluate him against say a 4-star recruit. Some Hoya fans are very high on Mac, and some think he might even be starting this season. So that's great for Mac. Wish him luck. I stand by my comments, however. It's hard to properly assess someone's ability when they're essentially playing against JV-caliber talent.
He did play against some very good teams in the Arby's classic in Bristol, Tn last year. He also played a highly rated Cleveland, Tn. team and a highly rated Kentucky team from Louisville. Gate City won both those games and McClung averaged over 35 points in both games. He also scored 47 points in the state championship game against a team with 3 players with division 1 talent.
He will play plenty at Georgetown.

He did play against some very good teams in the Arby's classic in Bristol, Tn last year. He also played a highly rated Cleveland, Tn. team and a highly rated Kentucky team from Louisville. Gate City won both those games and McClung averaged over 35 points in both games. He also scored 47 points in the state championship game against a team with 3 players with division 1 talent.
He will play plenty at Georgetown.

You're still missing the original point I made. In my first post ITT I said, "It's hard to gauge how good he is when he's playing against schools that couldn't compete with most JV teams." That is the statement I made, and that is the statement I stand by. I'm sure Mac will be fine. He might even start this year. Who knows?

I believe what I said was accurate, though. You can cite the playoffs and Arby's Classic all you want, but in a 31-game season he played a grand total of 3 games against schools ranked in the top 1,000 (MaxPreps). He looks great on video, but it's plainly evident that he's playing against inferior competition on a regular basis. So in summary, I can't definitely say whether I think he'll be a great player or not because there's simply not a large enough sample size against quality competition.

Why did you change your username, btw?

Did Mac McGlung beat a top 5 team in Kentucky?? Asking for a friend.

Fern Creek, which is probably more of a top 10 school, than top 5. You're from the Cincinnati area, right? You'd probably know more about this school than I would.

I think Mac will see meaningful minutes from day 1. If he can tighten his handle, play decent defense, and be a reliable 3-point shooter, he has a chance to play 20+ minutes by the end of the season.

Fern Creek, which is probably more of a top 10 school, than top 5. You're from the Cincinnati area, right? You'd probably know more about this school than I would.

I think Mac will see meaningful minutes from day 1. If he can tighten his handle, play decent defense, and be a reliable 3-point shooter, he has a chance to play 20+ minutes by the end of the season.
I'm from Louisville, still live here. Haven't followed high school ball much since I graduated high school, but Fern Creek is typically one of the more talented clubs around. The larger schools in Louisville are typically the best the state have to offer.

Reactions: dukedevilz
You're still missing the original point I made. In my first post ITT I said, "It's hard to gauge how good he is when he's playing against schools that couldn't compete with most JV teams." That is the statement I made, and that is the statement I stand by. I'm sure Mac will be fine. He might even start this year. Who knows?

I believe what I said was accurate, though. You can cite the playoffs and Arby's Classic all you want, but in a 31-game season he played a grand total of 3 games against schools ranked in the top 1,000 (MaxPreps). He looks great on video, but it's plainly evident that he's playing against inferior competition on a regular basis. So in summary, I can't definitely say whether I think he'll be a great player or not because there's simply not a large enough sample size against quality competition.

Why did you change your username, btw?
Why did you change your user name?

Nice try. I've had this username since 2002.

You seem to know a lot about Mac, and you referenced the JV comment - so naturally I assume you're @lkc1234 ...and well, there's the fact that you've had this account less than a month, as well. Not a big deal, really. Just curious.
Really. I know a lot about Mac because I have went to several of his games while following high school basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT