ADVERTISEMENT

Luca Doncic is a legit top 3 pick

What you apparently don't understand is that the discussion that prompted my reference about Darko had to do with hype, which even exceeded that for Luka. Some even advocated taking Luka over Lebron and now there are those contending that Luka is a bigger Dwyane Wade. IMO those are varying degrees of outlandish regard. Perhaps there's more justification to accord Luka hype, but the jury certainly is still out about that. I personally think that anyone taking him over Ayton or Bagley is doing that at his peril.

Somehow you've latched onto this one comment made by me and extrapolated an entire false narrative about Doncic. I didn't say Doncic is a bigger Dwayne Wade. That's an asinine comment to make. What I said was, he has a wide range of possibilities and that his ultimate ceiling, if it were to be fulfilled, could be that of a bigger Dwayne Wade. At that comparison was made to outline more of his style of play than to solely suggest he will be a top 35 player of all time.

There is a MASSIVE difference in the two comments. So just stop with this "there are those contending..." crap.

As for Bagley, I wouldn't touch him in the top 3. Soft and can't defend. I would pick Carter before him.

Reactions: Matt Laurer
I've been saying I'd take Doncic first for a few months now. He's a bigger Dwayne Wade.

20 GE Nole, Apr 16, 2018
UOTE="GE Nole, post: 24368659, member: 6712"]Somehow you've latched onto this one comment made by me and extrapolated an entire false narrative about Doncic. I didn't say Doncic is a bigger Dwayne Wade. That's an asinine comment to make.[/QUOTE]

:confused:

20 GE Nole, Apr 16, 2018
UOTE="GE Nole, post: 24368659, member: 6712"]Somehow you've latched onto this one comment made by me and extrapolated an entire false narrative about Doncic. I didn't say Doncic is a bigger Dwayne Wade. That's an asinine comment to make.

:confused:[/QUOTE]

Okay you got me in that one. But we’ve been discussing him for months. And there’s plenty of others where I said that’s his ceiling. I guess I just didn’t feel like retyping the longer paragraph over and over.

But I’ll concede. He’s not that yet. And he may never be that. That’s just his upper ceiling and style type.

Reactions: Silent Banjo
No big deal, my friend. I can tell you are an astute basketball fan and were probably just using a quick comparison to bolster your high regard for Luka. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't putting words in your mouth. I can also see what prompted you to bring up Wade, as there is some resemblance in their playing styles.

Reactions: GE Nole
Maybe it's unfair, but so much of the fanfare over Doncic reminds me of what was said about Toni Kukoc. Now Toni turned out to be a pretty good player, but nowhere close to the hype. .

This is so wrong. Age. Ability. Production. And what was said about Kukoc was said in, what, 1993? Was there even Zapruder-quality film on him? What was known about Kukoc was one step above Ivan Renko.

Doncic, on the other hand, is lauded by a wide range of scouts and quants who have seen him play, a lot, in the second best league in the world for 2 years and it in tournaments featuring NBA players. If he busts, he busts, but as a prospect he's amazing.

LeBron has already had a better career than Kobe (unless you're a "Rangz!" guy) and you'd be dumb to bet (straight up) that any prospect in this draft turns out better than Dirk. You'd probably get even odds for "will any 2018 draftee make > 5 All NBA teams," let alone an MVP, finals MVP, and 12 All NBA teams (at a time when PFs we're the best position group in the NBA no less).

This is so wrong. Age. Ability. Production. And what was said about Kukoc was said in, what, 1993? Was there even Zapruder-quality film on him? What was known about Kukoc was one step above Ivan Renko.

Doncic, on the other hand, is lauded by a wide range of scouts and quants who have seen him play, a lot, in the second best league in the world for 2 years and it in tournaments featuring NBA players. If he busts, he busts, but as a prospect he's amazing.

LeBron has already had a better career than Kobe (unless you're a "Rangz!" guy) and you'd be dumb to bet (straight up) that any prospect in this draft turns out better than Dirk. You'd probably get even odds for "will any 2018 draftee make > 5 All NBA teams," let alone an MVP, finals MVP, and 12 All NBA teams (at a time when PFs we're the best position group in the NBA no less).
Great insight, there's more media coverage now than there was back when Kukoc came into the league. That doesn't mean that, relative to the time, Kukoc didn't receive an incredible amount of hype. Not sure about ability. Maybe you think it's fitting to make a definitive conclusion aobut the merits of a 19 year old. Most people don't. Zapruder film? That was 30 years before Kukoc came into the league. I'm sure you can do the math on that.

One could argue that Lebron has had a better career than any player ever, but Kobe is certainly among the elites that would challenge him.

I don't think it's that mindboggling to envision a better player in this draft than Dirk, a guy who hasn't won a playoff series since 2011. I'll bet anything that several players will make more NBA All Defensive teams than he ever has.

ADVERTISEMENT