ADVERTISEMENT

Luca Doncic is a legit top 3 pick

Matt Laurer

Gold Member
Nov 30, 2017
Some people saying he might be a bust, but his game is nba ready right now. Looks like a bigger version of Harden. He just needs to elevate a little more on his jump shot against bigger/more athletic nba players.

Reminds me of Mac McClung.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Matt Laurer
Not necessarily. Dirk is the best European of all time and I might pick a few kids from this draft before him if he was coming out.

You don't seriously think there are multiple hall of famers in this class do you? Because that's what you're saying. Not just hall of famers either, but a top 50 all time player. I don't know much about this kid other than what I've seen in highlight vids but if you really think he's that good he has to be the 1st pick.

Not necessarily. Dirk is the best European of all time and I might pick a few kids from this draft before him if he was coming out.
That’s crazy talk man. Dirk is a top 25 player all time imo. What he did to singlehandedly carry the Mavs in 2011 is the stuff of legends.

Based on what they accomplished up to the age of 19 Luka is far and away the best European of all time

That’s crazy talk man. Dirk is a top 25 player all time imo. What he did to singlehandedly carry the Mavs in 2011 is the stuff of legends.
Didn’t you say Bagley > AD? If this is true then what I said is correct. I don’t think Dirk is top 25 all time either. I’d consider Bagley and Ayton over Doncic

Last edited:
Yea don’t see anyone in this draft being better than Dirk, he’s one of the 50 greatest players ever. I’d take Doncic 1st.
Ayton and Bagley could definitely turn out to be better than Dirk. They've already made as many All Defensive teams. ;)

This is where I'm at as well. Dirk is awesome, but lets not act like these kids in this class are just average. They could be VERY good.
Call it superstition or whatever, but I think NBA execs are still haunted by the memory of serious thought being given to drafting Darko Milicic first over Lebron James. Euro's will never be given the benefit of the doubt.

I've been saying I'd take Doncic first for a few months now. He's a bigger Dwayne Wade.

Only other guy I would even consider is Ayton, but I'm a bit concerned about his "want to." Kind of reminds me of Wiggins.

No way would I take Bagley in the top 2. Heck, I wouldn't take him top 5 and I think there's a good chance that Carter ends up the better pro.

Oh and whomever said there will be multiple players in this draft with a better career than Dirk...smh.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Call it superstition or whatever, but I think NBA execs are still haunted by the memory of serious thought being given to drafting Darko Milicic first over Lebron James. Euro's will never be given the benefit of the doubt.
I honestly don't think they should either. Many more of them turn out to be busts than worthy of a top ten pick.

Reactions: Silent Banjo
I've been saying I'd take Doncic first for a few months now. He's a bigger Dwayne Wade.

Only other guy I would even consider is Ayton, but I'm a bit concerned about his "want to." Kind of reminds me of Wiggins.

No way would I take Bagley in the top 2. Heck, I wouldn't take him top 5 and I think there's a good chance that Carter ends up the better pro.

Oh and whomever said there will be multiple players in this draft with a better career than Dirk...smh.
Having a better career and being better are two different things. It would be tough to have a better career than Dirk, but there are one maybe two guys I would take out of this draft and rather build around than him.

Having a better career and being better are two different things. It would be tough to have a better career than Dirk, but there are one maybe two guys I would take out of this draft and rather build around than him.

So you've gone from "multiple" to "one, maybe two." Just go on and say it. You got a little ahead of yourself and laid on the hyperbole too thick.

Isn't multiple two? o_O Regardless, what I said is correct.

Yes, 2 is multiple. But you said it with such authority as if it was a no brainer. Now it's "1, maybe 2."

Odds of any player from any draft having a better career than Dirk--a top 30 player all time in the NBA--is very small. The only player I would even give a small thought to taking over Dirk in this draft (assuming we already knew how Dirk's career would turn out) is Doncic.

Yes, 2 is multiple. But you said it with such authority as if it was a no brainer. Now it's "1, maybe 2."

Odds of any player from any draft having a better career than Dirk--a top 30 player all time in the NBA--is very small. The only player I would even give a small thought to taking over Dirk in this draft (assuming we already knew how Dirk's career would turn out) is Doncic.
I think you're just nit picking to try and start a debate, but whatever. And again, having a better career and being better are different. LeBron James is better than Kobe, but Kobe had the better career up to this point. If you're talking about building a team around a player, there are a couple guys you could consider drafting at one besides Doncic. All I'm saying.

I honestly don't think they should either. Many more of them turn out to be busts than worthy of a top ten pick.
Maybe it's unfair, but so much of the fanfare over Doncic reminds me of what was said about Toni Kukoc. Now Toni turned out to be a pretty good player, but nowhere close to the hype. .

Still would rather have Ayton and probably Bagley from a long term standpoint. Doncic will be the best out of this rookie class his first couple of years. He is the most pro ready guy in this draft. He just doesn't have as much of a physical upside , I think he is pretty close to a finished product from that standpoint.

I think you're just nit picking to try and start a debate, but whatever. And again, having a better career and being better are different. LeBron James is better than Kobe, but Kobe had the better career up to this point. If you're talking about building a team around a player, there are a couple guys you could consider drafting at one besides Doncic. All I'm saying.

Considering guys other than Doncic is one thing. Perfectly reasonable.

Taking multiple players over Dirk in a hypothetical situation when we ALREADY know Dirk was a top 30 all time player in the NBA is ludicrous. Even if a player from this draft surpasses Dirk--which is unlikely--why would you take that risk? You already know how great Dirk was. You don't have any risk at all in taking Dirk in that hypo.

Considering guys other than Doncic is one thing. Perfectly reasonable.

Taking multiple players over Dirk in a hypothetical situation when we ALREADY know Dirk was a top 30 all time player in the NBA is ludicrous. Even if a player from this draft surpasses Dirk--which is unlikely--why would you take that risk? You already know how great Dirk was. You don't have any risk at all in taking Dirk in that hypo.
We are also assuming Luca will end up being better than Dirk, which is not a given at all. No one knew Dirk would be this could coming out of the draft, but you are right. Knowing what we know now about him, I wouldn't take anyone over him. He wasn't even the first pick in his own draft. And again, Europeans have given us reason to pause on taking them so early over the years. Many more are misses than hits.

Still would rather have Ayton and probably Bagley from a long term standpoint. Doncic will be the best out of this rookie class his first couple of years. He is the most pro ready guy in this draft. He just doesn't have as much of a physical upside , I think he is pretty close to a finished product from that standpoint.
He’s only 19. He can get better and stronger. His stroke, handles, and passing are all plus. That height plus his shot will make him great.

Reactions: dakid_0812
He’s only 19. He can get better and stronger. His stroke, handles, and passing are all plus. That height plus his shot will make him great.
Yea but he is a slightly above average athlete for NBA standards. And foot speed looks just average. No doubt he will be really good because he has the best ball skills of any of the forwards. I just don't think he has the extra level of potential Bagley and Ayton have. Which means nothing in terms of if they will reach that max potential. Ayton looks like a bigger Shawn Kemp with a jumper already and Bagley looks like a bigger and stronger Chris Bosh. I could see a Larry Bird type production scenario with Doncic but I also could see him being Toni Kukoc like someone else said. Where I don't ever see Ayton or Bagley not being All Stars. They are can't miss from that standpoint outside of debilitating injuries.

We are also assuming Luca will end up being better than Dirk, which is not a given at all. No one knew Dirk would be this could coming out of the draft, but you are right. Knowing what we know now about him, I wouldn't take anyone over him. He wasn't even the first pick in his own draft. And again, Europeans have given us reason to pause on taking them so early over the years. Many more are misses than hits.

Now I'm just confused. No one is assuming anything about Luca being better than Dirk. I don't know why you keep saying stuff about Luca in the responses to me.

All I have been referring to is this quote you made about picking "a few kids" (which you then back tracked on after everyone called it out) ahead of Dirk. That's just crazy talk.

Now I'm just confused. No one is assuming anything about Luca being better than Dirk. I don't know why you keep saying stuff about Luca in the responses to me.

All I have been referring to is this quote you made about picking "a few kids" (which you then back tracked on after everyone called it out) ahead of Dirk. That's just crazy talk.
You’re just trying to start a debate that no one is making. I said one or two guys I would consider picking first and you took off and ran with it. You do you.

Some of this hype about Doncic is off the charts amusing. Calling a 19 year old Euro kid a bigger Dwyane Wade is hyperbole extraordinaire. He's got the bigger part but to compare him to Wade, probably the third best 2 guard ever after Jordan and Kobe, is just irresponsible. There have been some very solid Euro guards in the league. Toni Kukoc is certainly one, and Drazen Petrovic is probably the most talented. Until he proves otherwise, I'd bet much more on Doncic being closer to Toni and Drazen than an immediately-when-he's-eligible HOFer.

When I see Ayton and Bagley perform, I've seen feats of athleticism that scream NBA all star. Whatever Doncic offers has to be augmented by cerebral qualities, and at this stage that's nigh impossible to measure.

Some of this hype about Doncic is off the charts amusing. Calling a 19 year old Euro kid a bigger Dwyane Wade is hyperbole extraordinaire. He's got the bigger part but to compare him to Wade, probably the third best 2 guard ever after Jordan and Kobe, is just irresponsible. There have been some very solid Euro guards in the league. Toni Kukoc is certainly one, and Drazen Petrovic is probably the most talented. Until he proves otherwise, I'd bet much more on Doncic being closer to Toni and Drazen than an immediately-when-he's-eligible HOFer.

When I see Ayton and Bagley perform, I've seen feats of athleticism that scream NBA all star. Whatever Doncic offers has to be augmented by cerebral qualities, and at this stage that's nigh impossible to measure.
Have you watched his tape? To me he looks like a bigger Harden. Certainly better than Harden or Wade at the same age.

Reactions: dakid_0812
ADVERTISEMENT