ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville vs Indiana

If I came out with that shit (saying that Michigan is definitely better than Gonzaga, Duke, and Kansas) it would be the most homer thing I've said about Michigan all year.
Yeah it would be...because its your team. But, basing it strictly off of the games played so far...you'd have a legitimate argument.

If I came out with that shit (saying that Michigan is definitely better than Gonzaga, Duke, and Kansas) it would be the most homer thing I've said about Michigan all year.
Btw...I really do think they are between 2nd and 3rd. A person could convince me f I r either spot

I understand what you're saying here...and believe it or not, I agree with you. Based of of the metrics currently available...their not a top 20 team. But, off of what I've seen with my own eyes...I don't believe that there are 20 teams currently playing better.

I'm not at all saying that they will be ranked in top 20 Monday. Instead, I'm saying with how their playing...they SHOULD be ranked in top 20. But, when you're current polls are so flawed that a UK team that shouldn't be ranked is #9...you can't put too much faith in the polls to rank each team where they should be.

Let me ask you...based off what you've seen ..do you really think there's 20 teams currently playing better than UL?

I don't watch nearly enough basketball to know that. If Louisville is the Indiana is, right? If Louisville and Indiana are both top 20 then Marquette has to be. Is 8-1 Ohio State a top 20 team? Maybe. I caught the Nebraska game today and they looked really good. They boatraced (80-57) Seton Hall. Top 20? Idk.

None of those 5 teams I just listed are top 20 in Kenpom's ratings. Am I confident they are all worse than top 20? Absolutely not. Do I think they are all easily top 20 teams? No, that's a stretch.

Yeah it would be...because its your team. But, basing it strictly off of the games played so far...you'd have a legitimate argument.

I'd have an argument that they are possibly the best team in the country. It would be foolish and a homer take to say they are definitely... with zero doubts... easily... the best team in the country.

What field did you go into after your masters? I'm going to assume that after 8 years in...you're still not working on your masters lol. I didn't think that there were a ton of options for recently graduated students there? I'm not up on the California job market, but I'd guess that outside of silicon valley...there isn't much?
Oh no, I meant to say I’ve been out of grad school for 8 years, but I’ve been here in the Bay since 2006. I have a Masters in Computer Science, I’ve been working at the same start up tech company here since I was 29, I’m now 35. I also fill in at a local radio station in Berkeley occasionally.

I'd have an argument that they are possibly the best team in the country. It would be foolish and a homer take to say they are definitely... with zero doubts... easily... the best team in the country.
I just honestly don't think there's much difference when were talking about fans on a message board.

Btw...I got to admit...when the day started I never would have guessed that I'd be trying to convince you on Michigan lol. You need to start talking up IU so I can argue against it. That way we can come full circle here lol

Oh no, I meant to say I’ve been out of grad school for 8 years, but I’ve been here in the Bay since 2006. I have a Masters in Computer Science, I’ve been working at the same start up tech company here since I was 29, I’m now 35. I also fill in at a local radio station in Berkeley occasionally.
That makes so much more sense lol. I couldn't think what field you could have possibly gone in if you're still working in the Berkeley area.

Reactions: UL_1986
That makes so much more sense lol. I couldn't think what field you could have possibly gone in if you're still working in the Berkeley area.
Well technically I work in SF, but live across the bay. Only the Google and Twitter nerds infiltrate SFs neighborhoods and rent 2 br apartments for 4500$ a month. Meanwhile I have a house(obviously not a huge house) with a backyard and offstreet parking.

Last edited:
Reactions: jace46555
I think they are better than those rankings. I can also objectively step back and understand why calling them a top 20 lock is a bit premature.

You yourself said you don’t think they are top 20 right now. How can they be a top 20 lock if you don’t even think they are top 20?

No I said I believe we're top 20.

Agree 100%. Gonna be a fun season for both squads, great storied programs with excellent new coaches.
Two, really good coaches. I would've loved Mack at IU. Hard nosed. Blue collar. I wish we'd hired him when KS was fired. IMO, he would've brought the same energy as Crean(gotta admit, Crean did a hell of a job revamping IU; he just did), but just better coaching.

I love Miller. IU fans are a tad impatient. We are only in year two. He's going to win. And a lot. MOF, both coaches are. Both programs are in really, really good hands.

Michigan is easily one of the top 2 teams in the country.

I can't believe none of you see how much a stretch that statement would be. I wouldn't defend a Michigan fan that said that. Big difference between "easily" being a top 2 team and "possibly" being a top 2 team.

There's no comparison in that though. Top 2 vs top 5 is a very limited margin. Saying you're top 2 is saying there's only 1 team better or on the same level. Top 5 is 4 teams.

We're talking whether there's 19 more teams or 24. There's more room to talk and justify it because the latter half of rankings dont matter in the grand scheme of things because usually you can mix and match from 15 on just like the CFP rankings. Whereas you can't as much for Top 2 or Top 5.

I think it's a stretch to say Louisville is a top 20 lock.

I think it's fair to say Louisville has top 20 potential.

@HRTheCard you seriously have an issue with me saying that? You guys are odd.

I don't have an issue, I just don't think there's much of a difference like you think there is. This isn't like we're making a judgement where the Grand Canyon is between the 2 options

There's no comparison in that though. Top 2 vs top 5 is a very limited margin. Saying your top 2 is saying there's only 1 team better or on the same level. Top 5 is 4 teams.

We're talking whether there's 19 more teams or 24. There's more room to talk and justify it because the latter half of rankings dont matter in the grand scheme of things because usually you can mix and match from 15 on. Whereas you can't as much for Top 2 or Top 5.

Which is the point. There are 30+ teams with arguments for top 20.

Indiana? Marquette? Louisville? Nebraska? Ohio State? Florida St.? Buffalo? Houston? Cincy? etc. etc. etc.

There are a lot of good teams in college basketball. There isn't enough room to call all of those good teams "easily top 20". Potentially top 20, possibly top 20, etc..... sure.

I’m so embarrassed of my job as an emergency physician for the Air Force. Got me there.

Dude...STOP It...I'm Retired Air Force, and ER on the weekends at an AF Base is NOT what you're trying to make it out to be...So you worked a weekend duty shift...BIG F-ing Deal!!!

SmokinSmile

What did he try to make it out to be?

He said that he didn't get to see the game due to working...Neither a clinic, hospital or Regional Medical Facility on a military installation are swamped with emergencies...It's not like their civilian counterparts that are filled with 99% of BS patients and then the 1% that are TRUELY an emergency case!!!

Now, if the game was not televised at his duty location, that's one thing, but to try and suggest that he was too busy to catch the game...Well, that's where I call BS!!!

Is that simple enough for you???

SmokinSmile

He said that he didn't get to see the game due to working...Neither a clinic or hospital on a military installation is swamped with emergencies...It's not like their civilian counterparts that are filled with 99% of BS patients and then the 1% that are TRUELY an emergency case!!!

Now, if the game was not televised at his duty location, that's one thing, but to try and suggest that he was too busy to catch the game...Well, that's where I call BS!!!

Is that simple enough for you???

SmokinSmile

Can’t speak for military bases but I’ve never been at a hospital where the ER doctors would be able to watch a game even during slow nights.

Its infinitely easier for me to watch in radiology even when it’s busy than it would be for a physician at any of the 6 ERs I’ve worked at.

Can’t speak for military bases but I’ve never been at a hospital where the ER doctors would be able to watch a game even during slow nights.

Its infinitely easier for me to watch in radiology even when it’s busy than it would be for a physician at any of the 6 ERs I’ve worked at.

Well, I can speak for, and about Air Force Bases, and their medical facilities, seeing as I retired from the Air Force after 25 years of service...TRUST me, the Air Force is MUCH different than its other counterpart military branches, and a lot of Civilian Hospitals...They have TV's in ALL Departments...That are on 24-7, 365...Mostly to keep abreast of what's going on...In case REAL World Emergencies...i.e, Local Natural Disasters, and or Terrorism happen!!!

And I can attest to you that if a Doctor or the ER staff want to watch a game...Super Bowl, College Football or Basketball National Championship etc...That game WILL be on!!!

SmokinSmile

Well, I can speak for, and about Air Force Bases, and their medical facilities, seeing as I retired from the Air Force after 25 years of service...TRUST me, the Air Force is MUCH different than its other counterpart military branches, and a lot of Civilian Hospitals...They have TV's in ALL Departments...That are on 24-7, 365...Mostly to keep abreast of what's going on...In case REAL World Emergencies...i.e, Local Natural Disasters, and or Terrorism happen!!!

And I can attest to you that if a Doctor or the ER staff want to watch a game...Super Bowl, College Football or Basketball National Championship etc...That game WILL be on!!!

SmokinSmile

Which ER did you work at?

@SloppyHopkins transfer to Myrtle Beach, Scott, Clark, Yakota, England, or Charleston.

Myrtle Beach SC, Clark AB Republic of the Philippines and England LA are all closed down!!!

Myrtle Beach closed in the mid 80's (First Round of Base Closures)...Clark closed after Mount Pinitubo erupted...England closed in the early 90's (Second Round of Base Closures)...He has Scott, Yakota and Charleston left!!!

SmokinSmile

Dude...STOP It...I'm Retired Air Force, and ER on the weekends at an AF Base is NOT what you're trying to make it out to be...So you worked a weekend duty shift...BIG F-ing Deal!!!

SmokinSmile
I work at a civilian hospital currently and I didn’t make my job out to be anything. I simply said I’m not embarrassed about it after he stated I probably worked a shit job. And no, I was not able to watch the game because of work.

Reactions: sgrooms
Which is the point. There are 30+ teams with arguments for top 20.

Indiana? Marquette? Louisville? Nebraska? Ohio State? Florida St.? Buffalo? Houston? Cincy? etc. etc. etc.

There are a lot of good teams in college basketball. There isn't enough room to call all of those good teams "easily top 20". Potentially top 20, possibly top 20, etc..... sure.
Why are you so obsessed with this? Does it bother you that someone thinks more about their own team than what you think of them?

Reactions: American Male
I work at a civilian hospital currently and I didn’t make my job out to be anything. I simply said I’m not embarrassed about it after he stated I probably worked a shit job. And no, I was not able to watch the game because of work.

Working ER is a crap job...Especially at a civilian hospital for the reasons I stated...You HAVE to put up with BS from 99% of the public for BS reasons...They ABUSE the services for simple THINGS that have ZERO to do with Emergencies!!!

Too bad you missed the game...It was one both fans of IU and UofL enjoyed...Not to mention the rest of the fans that watched it...Except for maybe the UK Fans in Kentucky that had the game switched to the IU / UofL Game...LOL!!!

SmokinSmile

Reactions: rockycard
Why are you so obsessed with this? Does it bother you that someone thinks more about their own team than what you think of them?

Why are they so obsessed with this? Does it bother them that I don’t think their team is a top 20 lock?

Working ER is a crap job...Especially at a civilian hospital for the reasons I stated...You HAVE to put up with BS from 99% of the public for BS reasons...They ABUSE the services for simple THINGS that have ZERO to do with Emergencies!!!

Too bad you missed the game...It was one both fans of IU and UofL enjoyed...Not to mention the rest of the fans that watched it...Except for maybe the UK Fans in Kentucky that had the game switched to the IU / UofL Game...LOL!!!

SmokinSmile

Lol okay guy. Im doing great, happy with work. Sorry the game upset you enough to be randomly mad that I work in an ED. First it sucked because it was military and it wasn’t busy and lame, now it sucks cuz it’s civilian while being too busy. Weird thing to go off about, but I understand the game affects people differently.

Last edited:
Lol okay guy. Im doing great, happy with work. Sorry the game upset you enough to be randomly mad that I work in an ED. First it sucked because it was military and it wasn’t busy and lame, now it sucks cuz it’s civilian while being too busy. Weird thing to go off about, but I understand the game affects people differently.

Very weird thing to go off about especially given how little you said in the post that triggered him.

I don't watch nearly enough basketball to know that. If Louisville is the Indiana is, right? If Louisville and Indiana are both top 20 then Marquette has to be. Is 8-1 Ohio State a top 20 team? Maybe. I caught the Nebraska game today and they looked really good. They boatraced (80-57) Seton Hall. Top 20? Idk.

None of those 5 teams I just listed are top 20 in Kenpom's ratings. Am I confident they are all worse than top 20? Absolutely not. Do I think they are all easily top 20 teams? No, that's a stretch.
All I know is Marquette beat Louisville, Louisville beat MSU, and IU beat both

SmokinSmile

Reactions: American Male
"Does it kill you to not get the last word?" is a clever way for someone who likes to get the last word to try and sneak one by.

I shall have the last word.
giphy.gif

SmokinSmile
I like you man. But I have to say----this post really bothers me. I'll tell you why. As a doctor, you cannot have this attitude. To me if you do, you can overlook something. And that can cost someone thier life. I will give you an example. An example that involves me.

I went to the ER about 4 years ago. Complained of fast HR, palpatations, etc, etc...had my wife take me to Jewish Hospital in Louisville. The doc who checked me out looked very disinterested. Hurried through the process. She told me, "you are just having anxiety attacks". No test....no x-rays.....No nothing. I heard he tell the nurse----"I hate nights like this. People coming in here for simple things". gave me a prescription of Xanax, and sent me home. This took about an hour. Two weeks later, I am back at the SAME hospital. First qestion I am asked---"wasn't you just here a few weeks ago"? Yes, I was. Next thing shocked me......."Are you out of your Xanax"? Ummmm, no. Immediately I was embarrassed. Felt like I was being trated as a pill chaser. Again, NO test....NO noting. Sent me home. Again...there less than an hour.

Three weeks later, Im in the hospital. Being treated for a very serious, and possibly life threatening arrhythmia disorder. It was only caught b/c I again went to the hospital, only this time to my local, small town hospital. They happened to put a heart momitor on me. Which caught the issue' My heart rate was getting up to 300 bpm. Never checked me for this at Jewish. And why? Because they seemingly had the same thought you did. That attitude could have cost me my life.

I like you man. But this is a very concerning comment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT