ADVERTISEMENT

LeBron Declares Himself GOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote goes for Jordan. He's who I grew up with. I don't think he's the athletic specimen LBJ is, which is probably what makes it all the more amazing to me. I tend to think Mike Tyson was the boxer I'd like to face the LEAST for a lot of the same reasons . . . his goal was to establish an alpha leader, which transcends winning. It wasn't enough to just win. He was going to make sure you knew it was about establishing that pecking order. Winning was a byproduct of what Jordan was about.

That being said LBJ is nothing less than phenomenal. I just give Jordan the edge. He even chewed his gum with a swagger I've not seen matched since. Jordan didn't argue about being the greatest. He knew it.

Pure. Confidence.

JMO.

tumblr_muxg50TVZ31rdhv0xo1_500.gif

Last edited:
Would you like a tissue? Or a pair of big boy pants?

I don't get the act you are putting on. I don't, for a second, think you're this big of a dick in real life. It's a shame this is the route you choose to take things. It's something the blatant troll accounts do (kl5, JohnHoosier, etc.), but not something most regulars do. All the same, I truly hope 2019 is a great year for you because no one deserves the stuff you had to go through this past year.

Last edited:
Do you want me to list personal encounters? Not really sure what you’re asking, get on Twitter or any instagram page..
THought I made it clear, both times...I said, outside of social media, i.e. twiiter, instagram, etc, etc.....Then added, "on here". I'm quite aware of the feathers he has ruffled among the media.

I don't get the act you are putting on. I don't, for a second, think you're this big of a dick in real life. It's a shame this is the route you choose to take things. It's something the blatant troll accounts do (kl5, JohnHoosier, etc.), but not something most regulars do. All the same, I truly hope 2019 is a great year for you because no one deserves the stuff you had to go through this past year.
He WAS the villain on the Love Boat reality show back in 2001, after all.

Longevity isn't that impressive though.

Edit: comparing age makes more sense than comparing number of NBA seasons, anyway. Look at their numbers at age 34.

Longevity does matter. And when it’s all said and done and we measure their careers surely it will hold some weight, which again was my point. In the NBA record books LeBron is adding on seasons beginning now, and he’s got a lot left.

Longevity does matter. And when it’s all said and done and we measure their careers surely it will hold some weight, which again was my point. In the NBA record books LeBron is adding on seasons beginning now, and he’s got a lot left.
It does...some. But when comparing players, ages are more important. At this same age in his career, MJ was winning his 5th title. His 5th Finals MVP. And was still going strong; 30ppg, 6rpg, and 4 assists.

The one thing that may hurt Jordan is his retiring. Had he not, thats two more seasons, in the prime of his career. Probably means another title, and another 4,000+ points. But thats on him. Retiring probably keeps Jordan from an easy, GOAT, pick. Of course its just speculation. But I do think its very likely, conceivable, that had he not, Chicago wins at worse 7 straight---And at best 9. To me, with all the other accomplishments, its over.

But he didn't. So it ain't.

Reactions: rockchalk4ever
One of the things that separate the two are how they handled themselves on the court and how they talked about themselves off of it.
I watched ESPN special on MJ. It talked of how conscience he was of how he looked off the court. How he acted. Those close said he was very aware that the littlest thing, could take away everything. I know, bot exactly the same. But somewhat.

IMO,Jordan left zero doubt both on and off(the court). And he didn't feel the need to make comments of, "being the best of all time".

Longevity is overrated, imo. A player who gets hurt after 60 games but averaged 35 points in those games is more impressive than a guy who averaged 28 points in 82 games. Once you reach a statistically significant sample size, averages and percentages are the more important and impressive numbers. Playing 20 years vs. 16 years, or whatever, isn't much of a difference. It's enough to get the raw number records, but who's going to care other than sportcasters trying to fill up air time?

Brett Favre has the career interceptions record, which people bring up almost every time they talk about him. But people also usually mention him among the best QB's of all-time because we know he only has the record by virtue of playing 120 years.

I could be wrong, but outside of boxers, I'm not sure I;ve ever heard a professional athlete proclaim himself as the GOAT. Not in any sport Not this "matter of fact" anyways.. I dunno, but this could be another, "I'm taking my talents to South Beach", moment for LeBron. It comes off as being weak. Insecure. I mean I guess you can call balsy. Or being secure. I guess. IMO though, I see it has being self-conscience. As a fear. Maybe I am wrong. Probably am.

If he's going to be consistent and straight-forward about drawing the line at certain personal attacks, I'm in his corner on this one. You're out of line.
Color me shocked the DePaul fan is slurping MJ.

Just to be clear...

There was talk of race when someone started a Christmas thread with a racist meme.

And there is talk of race here, now that people are talking about LeBron being mouthy or whatever.

So. Two threads since the season started, and Dat brought it up initially in neither.

#dramaqueen!
Quite literally were the only two threads I read today. And I have seen him bring up politics in too many threads to count since this summer. So, yeah.

Politics are there even when you are unaware of it b/c you're fine with the sentiment.
EVERY thread. Laughing
I choose to think about basketball on a basketball forum. Not a Christmas song from 50+ years ago being possibly racist.

Get a life. Take this crap to OTF.

Reactions: sgrooms
How can one sports goat be in the HOF while another is banished?

You know why he took time off.

Shoeless Joe?
I think he means Pete Rose because of the “you know why he took time off” line.

Rose got banned for gambling and it was very public. Rumors have always circulated that Stern privately banned Jordan because of his gambling habits and behavior.

Doesn’t work though. Nobody thinks that Pete Rose is in the discussion for greatest baseball player of all time. Maybe top 50 at best.

Reactions: brooky03
Color me shocked the DePaul fan is slurping MJ.
yea imagine that, a guy from Chicago who got to witness the GOAT throughout his entire career would be opposed to a clown like Lebron being called the GOAT. Great take dude, you sound like the cops in Usual Suspects when they were questioning Kevin Pollack.

Wow, it took only a few posts before this one (predictably) went downhill fast. This is a terrible thread with terrible posts by a variety of terrible posters.

Your privilege gave you the choice of voting Johnson.

Libertarianism is an immature fantasy people ought to grow out of between the day they accidentally took a quiz while walking through the student union and Fall Break of freshman year. You depend on a larger govt to protect those so-called "personal freedoms"(ie, materialism). You're the 15-year-old alternating between begging for a ride to the mall and yelling about how grown you are.
No I’m the kid that wants to stop being told how to live my life by the government. If I want to smoke weed I should be able to. If I want to marry a man I should be able to. The government should have zero say in any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT