ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs Arizona

Fair, but who has Arizona beaten that you'd consider elite? All season

They played one legit team (Purdue) and lost by 25.

Just think you are putting a little to much into this three game stretch. UT is a very, very good defensive team. Elite is a good word. ALabama is really good defensively. Not sure about elite. But really good. GA is good defensively. But not elite. UK did score well vs those teams; But having a guy go 7-7 from three(Bama game) certainly helps.

I agree UK is playing better. I just think you may be setting yourself up for a big downer. I mean this is still a team that a week ago or so got absolutely drilled by Florida.

People are higher on Arizona than UK, but I mean hell, what have they done lately? The media pumps the "team has been amazing while you've been asleep, ever since the Sean Miller debacle! Redemption tour!" card, but I mean, let's look at it a bit.

Arizona
Past 8 games: 7-1
Avg KenPom ranking of opponents: 92
Avg KenPom opponent ORTG ranking: 104
Avg KenPom opponent DRTG ranking: 101
Avg margin of victory: 11.14

KenPom Ranking - Team Name - Score

46. @Arizona State: 77-70 W
94. @Oregon State: 75-65 OT W
73. @Oregon: 98-93 OT L
84. Stanford: 75-67 W
241. California: 66-54 W
112. Colorado: 83-67 W (Neutral Floor)
49. UCLA: 78-67 OT W (Neutral Floor)
40. USC: 75-61 W (Neutral Floor)

Kentucky
Avg KenPom ranking of opponents: 44
Avg KenPom opponent ORTG ranking: 72
Avg KenPom opponent DRTG ranking: 49
Avg margin of victory: 15

52. Alabama: 81 - 71 W
36. @Arkansas: 87-72 W
39. Missouri: 87-66 W
104. Mississippi: 96 - 78 W
23. @Florida: 80 - 67 L
63. Georgia: 62 - 49 W (Neutral Floor)
52. Alabama: 86 - 63 W (Neutral Floor)
11. Tennessee: 77 - 72 W (Neutral Floor)

People are higher on Arizona than UK, but I mean hell, what have they done lately? The media pumps the "team has been amazing while you've been asleep, ever since the Sean Miller debacle! Redemption tour!" card, but I mean, let's look at it a bit.

Arizona

Kentucky

Ok. Why is this relevant? I'm not "pumping" AZ. I said the game is a toss up. SO i dunno know why you feel compelled to give me all these stats. I 'm just not that sold that UK is suddenly this elite team. That's all. They could be really dangerous. Or they could lose to Davidson. I do not think there is much of a difference between UK/AZ. Its why I said its a toss up. SO not sure why you keep bring this stuff up.

Ok. Why is this relevant? I'm not "pumping" AZ. I said the game is a toss up. SO i dunno know why you feel compelled to give me all these stats. I 'm just not that sold that UK is suddenly this elite team. That's all. They could be really dangerous. Or they could lose to Davidson. I do not think there is much of a difference between UK/AZ. Its why I said its a toss up. SO not sure why you keep bring this stuff up.

It's relevant because the thread title is literally Kentucky vs Arizona. With that in mind, are there two other teams we should be talking about in the Kentucky vs Arizona thread, Borden?

Arizona's scores and resume are not impressive, but they've passed the eye test when I've seen them. I think Ayton will just prove to be too much.

It's relevant because the thread title is literally Kentucky vs Arizona. With that in mind, are there two other teams we should be talking about in the Kentucky vs Arizona thread, Borden?
Why is relevant to OUR conversation. Not the thread in general. Seesh. You keep quoting me withshit about AZ, in comparison to UK. As if I am implying AZ is better. When in fact I have basically said they are equal.

Arizona's scores and resume are not impressive, but they've passed the eye test when I've seen them. I think Ayton will just prove to be too much.

I have a hard time believing that you've consistently watched both UK, as well as Arizona, especially when you consider the national coverage of game that take place out west, and the time that those games take place in general.

I have a hard time believing that you've consistently watched both UK, as well as Arizona, especially when you consider the national coverage of game that take place out west, and the time that those games take place in general.

I've seen a lot of Kentucky and multiple Arizona games. You don't need to watch every game to realize Ayton's dominance.

Ayton and Trier are the two best players and they play for Arizona so if youre looking for a tiebreaker in a tight matchup, that could potentially be it.

I think I would contend that Shai Gilgeous-Alexander would be the 2nd best player on the floor. Outstanding 2-way player. Trier is a more dynamic scorer, but as far as defense, facilitating, craftiness, and size goes, Shai may have the edge there.

If I had to rank the players in this game, it would be:

Ayton (AZ)
=
Gilgeous-Alexander (UK)
Trier (AZ)
=
Vanderbilt (UK) *** If he plays in this game ***
Knox (UK)
Alkins (AZ)
Washington (UK)
=
Ristic (AZ)
=
Green (UK)
Gabriel (UK)
Jackson Cartwright (AZ)
Killeya-Jones (UK)
=
Smith (AZ)
Randolph (AZ)

Disclaimer: I've only watched a few Arizona games in the back half of the season. Maybe like 5 or 6. Plus, I'm a UK fan, so maybe a touch of bias there, but I personally feel this is accurate.

Just for the comedy factor everyone should advance Arizona to the Final Four.

Hell, you might even win all kinds of money if you put bets on it. Arizona is a scary team. There are 2 other scary teams in that part of the bracket though.

besides the UL boards has this rumor been posted anywhere else?
i remember the same rumor being posted on the UL boards right before he started playing

i am guessing maybe some on the UL boards are the only ones with REAL inside info
The link machine is down right now, if not then I’d show you.

Reactions: mebeblue2
I think I would contend that Shai Gilgeous-Alexander would be the 2nd best player on the floor. Outstanding 2-way player. Trier is a more dynamic scorer, but as far as defense, facilitating, craftiness, and size goes, Shai may have the edge there.

If I had to rank the players in this game, it would be:

Ayton (AZ)
=
Gilgeous-Alexander (UK)
Trier (AZ)
=
Vanderbilt (UK) *** If he plays in this game ***
Knox (UK)
Alkins (AZ)
Washington (UK)
=
Ristic (AZ)
=
Green (UK)
Gabriel (UK)
Jackson Cartwright (AZ)
Killeya-Jones (UK)
=
Smith (AZ)
Randolph (AZ)

Disclaimer: I've only watched a few Arizona games in the back half of the season. Maybe like 5 or 6. Plus, I'm a UK fan, so maybe a touch of bias there, but I personally feel this is accurate.
Nobody cares about how the mayor of rafterville ranks the players...

Arizona

Kentucky

Maybe people saw Kentucky play Florida two weeks ago?

I would like to say AZ but I have been burned SO much by them in the past that i dont know if i can bring myself to pick them anymore.

The moment you stop picking them is the time they make a run. Never fails.

Kentucky is top 25 in both offense and defense per Kenpom. Arizona is just inside the top 75 in defense. Arizona shouldn't make it past the S16 and definitely won't make the final 4.

Arizona has held every team under 1 point per possession their past 5 games. They have started to figure it out defensively and obviously with their size and athleticism at 4 out of 5 positions, they are going to rebound it when their opponents miss. Pait that with Ayton and Trier and theyre dangerous.

Arizona has held every team under 1 point per possession their past 5 games. They have started to figure it out defensively and obviously with their size and athleticism at 4 out of 5 positions, they are going to rebound it when their opponents miss. Pait that with Ayton and Trier and theyre dangerous.

I agree but they've played nobody in those 5 games. A mediocre UCLA team (yes they beat UK 3 months ago I don't care) is the only tournament team during that stretch. UK's offense has improved a lot while playing actual tournament teams.
I think UK puts Arizona's bigs in the p&r all game with Knox/Gabriel in the corner. With the way UK has shot the ball of late they are going to do damage.

No one. Why is that relevant? I think the UK/AZ game is a virtual toss up. But hey, they did beat UCLA. :D
and they also lost to UCLA by a point more than UK. Plus the UK UCLA game was early in the year. What makes that important was that UK was starting all freshmen and they were first month freshmen.

Additionally, I believe that the SEC is a better conference this year than the Pac 12.

Borden, accept the fact that both Arizona and Kentucky were not treated well by the NCAA seeding process. Just a few years ago they forced the same thing with UK and Indiana.

UK is used to being screwed with, but Arizona is just learning how petty the Indianapolis thugs can be. It is not fair to Arizona and it is not fair to Kentucky.

This game is really stressing me out. I would probably have Arizona beating Virginia but Virginia beating Kentucky if they win. Don't know what to do. Non-Arizona/Kentucky/Virginia fans help me out

I've changed it a million times. Guess I'll stick with what I started with. Arizona over Virginia and Tennessee over Cincinnati in Sweet 16. Arizona beats Tennessee to go to the Final 4
Wow, Id love that. This has been the hardest AZ team to analyze. FBI, injuries, suspensions... I just dont know who is going to show up. Lots of games that you'd think wed be pumped for, and we come out flat and going through the motions. Part of me feels like if we beat Buffalo by 10+, then its on.

Wow, Id love that. This has been the hardest AZ team to analyze. FBI, injuries, suspensions... I just dont know who is going to show up. Lots of games that you'd think wed be pumped for, and we come out flat and going through the motions. Part of me feels like if we beat Buffalo by 10+, then its on.
I agree. A perfect reflection I thought of that was the game after the FBI stuff where Sean Miller didn't coach, I thought they would come out and crush them but they lost

I agree. A perfect reflection I thought of that was the game after the FBI stuff where Sean Miller didn't coach, I thought they would come out and crush them but they lost
That game I sort of get tho because Trier was out too IIRC. The next week tho, Miller and Trier came back and we looked mediocre against the bay teams. Everyone in the city thought those games would be blowouts. I think part of it is that we lack a true leader. Ristic isnt, PJC sort of tries, Trier is aloof, Ayton is still a kid, Alkins seems kinda quiet/easy going. Miller tries his best, but only gets so far.

That game I sort of get tho because Trier was out too IIRC. The next week tho, Miller and Trier came back and we looked mediocre against the bay teams. Everyone in the city thought those games would be blowouts. I think part of it is that we lack a true leader. Ristic isnt, PJC sort of tries, Trier is aloof, Ayton is still a kid, Alkins seems kinda quiet/easy going. Miller tries his best, but only gets so far.

I'm actually curious to hear your input, being that you watch a ton of Zona (probably more than anybody here). How do you feel that they're playing lately? Strengths and weaknesses?

Just think you are putting a little to much into this three game stretch. UT is a very, very good defensive team. Elite is a good word. ALabama is really good defensively. Not sure about elite. But really good. GA is good defensively. But not elite. UK did score well vs those teams; But having a guy go 7-7 from three(Bama game) certainly helps.

I agree UK is playing better. I just think you may be setting yourself up for a big downer. I mean this is still a team that a week ago or so got absolutely drilled by Florida.

And the two weeks before that won four in a row.

Fact is, they've won 7 of their last 8, with 5 of those wins coming against teams in the tournament. Is Colorado, USC, or UCLA in the tournament? Because that's who Arizona beat in their conference tourney.

That whole conference is an embarrassment.

I'm actually curious to hear your input, being that you watch a ton of Zona (probably more than anybody here). How do you feel that they're playing lately? Strengths and weaknesses?
Well, to start, Ayton is the best player I have seen in a while (not sure if that even needs to be said). That said, hes young, and him and Ristic are slow laterally (Ristic is slow in every way). Many of our defensive breakdowns are either that being exploited or blow byes because our guards like to space out (except PJC for the most part).

PJC has been playing well. He played well against two really good PGs recently. He is the only one that I can really trust with the ball. If he shoots well, I'd be surprised to see us lose (unless we are complete crap elsewhere)

Alkins and Trier havent both really had great games together. One of them is usually on, but Alkins has been bad a lot more recently. Trier is very skilled, but can have tunnel vision and has effort issues on defense. Alkins is streaky and a meh defender, but can surprise people and is a great rebounding guard.

Ristic is incredibly skilled. Everyone is talking Ayton, and rightly so, but Ristic is one of the most skilled big men you will see. BUT he is an average rebounder and below average defender (especially against quickness).

Miller's kryptonite has been zones. This is probably his best team at attacking zones. In general, Ayton may have to carry us for stretches, but part of that is because he is so so good.

TLDR: We have been playing well recently. I normally love metrics, but this team is so hard to define with metrics. The Bahamas games skew a lot, and while we did play those games, I am not sure their effect on our numbers is that relevant. Our strengths are on offense..especially post play. Both of our posts also pass quite well, so if our outside shots arefalling we are hard to beat. Weak on defense, some has been effort related, some is slow lateral quickness. Also have had turnover issues and a weak bench.

If you want to beat us: play a zone, get our bigs moving on defense..hope either Ayton or Ristic is off, and attack off the dribble for fouls or kick outs.

Not sure I buy us as the sexy pick. This team is built kind of weirdly and can lay some eggs.

I probably have a better idea than you did thanks to the Pac 12 network, but do you have a similar breakdown?

ADVERTISEMENT