ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas vs Vermont

rockycard

Jan 8, 2007
What I learned watching that game? Vermont will beat Louisville on Friday is what, they gave a hot shooting Kansas team a good game. Vick hitting 8-8 on threes was crazy, I didn’t know that he could shoot outside of the paint. Good win Jayhawks.

Main focus is containing lamb. Dude is very Georges Niang like. Surprised we still handled Vermont so well with D Lawson going full potato. It’s like he has the yips. In the last two games he has bonered 10-15 bunnies. Udoka looked like a monster.

Everyone outside of Vick, Dok, and Grimes struggled mightily this game. Outside of a dunk not sure KU made a shot in the paint. Vermont is a very smart basketball team and they game planned KU well. Just obvious in the 2nd half that they couldn't keep up with KU's athletes. They will frustrate you because they have 3-4 guys who are body seekers trying to draw contact and get to the line.

Reactions: rockycard
Team could be pretty stout if Lawson remembers how to put the ball through the hoop.

I still worry about Hack a Shaq in close games.

Reactions: Big_C_KU
Team could be pretty stout if Lawson remembers how to put the ball through the hoop.

I still worry about Hack a Shaq in close games.

Luckily Dok was 3-4 from the line in the 2nd half. At least this year Self has the depth to pull Dok should a team do hack-a-Dok and Dok struggle.

Reactions: Jayhawkai
What I learned watching that game? Vermont will beat Louisville on Friday is what, they gave a hot shooting Kansas team a good game. Vick hitting 8-8 on threes was crazy, I didn’t know that he could shoot outside of the paint. Good win Jayhawks.
That's a bit of a stretch. More likely is that Vermont played good defense and muddied it up, made it ugly. They made it difficult to drive the lain and get in the paint, taking away our size and athleticism advantage to a degree. As a result, we had open looks from 3. It was a typical mid-major tactic, and Vermont has been good at implementing it. They took us to the wire in AFH a few years back.

Ultimately though, we hit enough shots to win it. It was closer than it needed to be, because we played sloppy early and turned the ball over, and Vermont hit several threes, which put us at a 10 point deficit early. But we handled them comfortably the last 25 minutes of the game.

Luckily Dok was 3-4 from the line in the 2nd half. At least this year Self has the depth to pull Dok should a team do hack-a-Dok and Dok struggle.

Self has said he is going to leave him in at the end of games. Terrifying.

dMac doesn't look a whole lot better from the stripe.

I know tonight’s game doesn’t compare to friday’s but if we see improvement tonight since last week then I’ll be confident that Mack will have us ready on Friday. Our offensive style is different than KU’s. I don’t think clogging the lane/double teaming in the paint will work in their favor if they do that on Friday. We love to drive and kick. Our main struggle (surprisingly) is hitting the open shot. If we do that then we wouldn’t really have any complaints right now. Defensive needs work as you’d expect at the beginning of the season, but it’s further along than the offense. Offense needs more work and actualky knocking down the shot. That’s the biggest thing I’ve seen so far be the problem. We have a lot of shooters, but we have missed a lot of open shots.

Gonna continue to take time for them to gel and loosen up. Hopefully the good shooting starts tonight as it’s necessary to win. Good shooting should be the norm for this team. Right now it’s not.

There isn't room in the paint for both Lawson and Dok. Lawson will have to be a very mobile 4. He needs room to show his diversification. This team has much to do before conference.

ADVERTISEMENT