ADVERTISEMENT

Just announced.... Whitney transferring

2ajtsw.gif

Why did he not pull the plug in the fall?

He's pretty much fallen out of the rotation altogether. When the fall semester concluded, he was averaging 19 minutes a game. In the last 7 games, his minutes were reduced to about 6 minutes a game.

Makes me wonder if he is the classic example of all these recruiting “gurus” ranking him to high.

Or maybe he just wants to be the big fish in a smaller pond. It’s been said UK (or blue bloods as a whole) aren’t for everyone. He’s already been passed up on the depth chart by seemingly everyone who plays his position plus I’m still assuming Dontai Allen will play at some point this season. Paired with the way UK reloads every recruiting cycle he might feel he won’t ever get a chance to be a star at UK.

But I agree, UK will be fine without him. He hasn’t done much of anything or add much of anything to UK in the short time he’s been there anyways. But yea the timing isn’t the best, he shoulda announced after the first semester so he could have potentially played next year second semester.

Last edited:
Wish him nothing but the best going forward. He will be a good player for someone.

He was never going to crack rotation with Juzang playing more minutes now. We've been set down low for a while.

Hagans
Quickley
Maxey
Richards
Sestina
Brooks
Montgomery
Juzang

We are more than fine with these 8 going forward the rest of the year.

The list of UK transfers under Calipari is now:

• Darnell Dodson
  • Stacey Poole
  • Ryan Harrow
  • Kyle Wiltjer
  • Marcus Lee
  • Charles Matthews
  • Sacha Killeya-Jones
  • Ty Wynyard
  • Jemarl Baker
  • Quade Green
  • Brad Calipari
  • Kahlil Whitney
....Is Matthews in the league?

Reactions: Quavarius

• Darnell Dodson
  • Stacey Poole
  • Ryan Harrow
  • Kyle Wiltjer
  • Marcus Lee
  • Charles Matthews
  • Sacha Killeya-Jones
  • Ty Wynyard
  • Jemarl Baker
  • Quade Green
  • Brad Calipari
  • Kahlil Whitney
Interesting. Once they left you really didn't hear much from any of them again. Wiltjer & Matthews some maybe.

Whitney was given multiple chances to perform. He even started at the beginning of the season. Cal told him "I need you to be a play finisher." and kept giving him playing time, until he was simply a liability on the floor.

I wish him well.

Reactions: wildcatwelder

• Darnell Dodson
  • Stacey Poole
  • Ryan Harrow
  • Kyle Wiltjer
  • Marcus Lee
  • Charles Matthews
  • Sacha Killeya-Jones
  • Ty Wynyard
  • Jemarl Baker
  • Quade Green
  • Brad Calipari
  • Kahlil Whitney
Tai Wynyard never transferred, he just went back overseas to play ball.

I get it. Why now though? Is there any benefit to doing it in the middle of the season? Is the one year a calendar year?

Whitney was given multiple chances to perform. He even started at the beginning of the season. Cal told him "I need you to be a play finisher." and kept giving him playing time, until he was simply a liability on the floor.

I wish him well.

Illinois fans are happy though.

Kid thinks he’s a pro right now and thinks he should be playing ahead of certain other players, but what he doesn't realize is he's not ready to play at this level. He can jump out of the gym, but that's it, he can't do anything else well enough to play.

Leaving at this point in the season is incredibly dumb and now he's just made his trek to the NBA much harder than it should have been and now he has to sit out all next year in addition to the rest of this year.

Also, maybe this has already been said, but dude is walking away from the guy that has put more dudes in the pros than anyone else.

Good luck to you Kahlil, you're going to need it.

I clearly know nothing about basketball. I thought he would/could have been our best player.

Knew it was always a possibility when he went from a starter, to watching his 5 minutes per game being taken by another reserve that would rebound and push the ball.

As of late, his role was reduced to “rebound and defend”. He simply couldn’t do it. You could see him overthinking his every move, painful to watch at times.

There was (and is) going to be a logjam at his position next year anyway. If he can't get minutes this year, he definitely wouldn't have next year.

Why? I doubt he plays another game of college ball. Me thinks he got some bad advice from his "people". Keion Brooks wasn't getting much PT, so he sucked it up and started playing better, forcing his way back into the rotation.
I’m an Illinois fan. A few of us have been monitoring his progress (ok...lack of) and waiting for him to transfer. We have a huge hole at the 3/4 and a player with his POTENTIAL would be awesome. But we don’t have any scholarships at the moment and we are already oversigned by one. I’m not giving up hope that he makes it to our campus, but a lot of other things need to happen for it to work out. A player like Whitney is worth the risk for a place like Illinois.

Wish him nothing but the best going forward. He will be a good player for someone.

He was never going to crack rotation with Juzang playing more minutes now. We've been set down low for a while.

Hagans
Quickley
Maxey
Richards
Sestina
Brooks
Montgomery
Juzang

We are more than fine with these 8 going forward the rest of the year.
Sure if doesn’t turn out that eight is enough for UK like it was for Duke in 2015 lol

I’m an Illinois fan. A few of us have been monitoring his progress (ok...lack of) and waiting for him to transfer. We have a huge hole at the 3/4 and a player with his POTENTIAL would be awesome. But we don’t have any scholarships at the moment and we are already oversigned by one. I’m not giving up hope that he makes it to our campus, but a lot of other things need to happen for it to work out. A player like Whitney is worth the risk for a place like Illinois.
If you found a way to get him on your roster, you would still have a huge hole.

There was (and is) going to be a logjam at his position next year anyway. If he can't get minutes this year, he definitely wouldn't have next year.
His decision to transfer NOW is one of the worst decisions he will make in his life (I hope).

Leaving now tells me he doesn't understand where he's at as a player, what this decision does to his career and that he is listening to the wrong people.

But hey, maybe a change of scenery is what he needs, but I don't think so, I think he screwed the pooch bigtime.

ADVERTISEMENT