ADVERTISEMENT

John Beilein called Cavs players “thugs”

His main issue has been with Kevin Love this season. So I hope people aren't trying to make this out to be a racist thing but considering how liberal espn/media are, they probably calling him racist by now.

His main issue has been with Kevin Love this season. So I hope people aren't trying to make this out to be a racist thing but considering how liberal espn/media are, they probably calling him racist by now.

When you close your eyes and hear the word “thug” what’s the first image that comes to mind?

Reactions: ceilo77 and UL_1986
Not a good look.
Completely off topic, but I'm thinking about heading to Napa this year with the wife. Do you have any recommendations on where to go/eat/do? Any material I can read that could help?

Reactions: UL_1986
Completely off topic, but I'm thinking about heading to Napa this year with the wife. Do you have any recommendations on where to go/eat/do? Any material I can read that could help?
Def head to frogs leap, di Rosa for sightseeing parks and museums, and O’Briens estate for good scenery and great wine. Tbh, anywhere you go will be fun and relaxing. I love Napa. Have fun bud! Oh, and the Mondavi vineyard, always gotta see that. Super touristy...but that’s what Napa is.

Reactions: SNU0821
I seen 2 POS I dealt with from work last night. One was black and the other white. Sounds like you assumed I was going to see only a black guy though. Otherwise why would you have asked me that?

Assumed? I asked you a question that you’re having a hard time answering.

Reactions: UL_1986
Hey, why are we spinning this into a negative thing? It was a compliment. Those thugs quit playing like slugs. He was just giving credit where it was due after all.

Reactions: Quavarius
Ahhh, you seen two guys you work with one white and one black. What did they do (if you don’t mind me asking?)

2 inmates talking shit to me, acting like they were going to fight me because I took their contraband . (Tattoo gun)

Reactions: Quavarius
When you close your eyes and hear the word “thug” what’s the first image that comes to mind?
For me it's just a street tough...doesn't matter the race. A guy who lives for showing how tough he is. It can be a guy who controls his territory for selling drugs and resorts to violent measures, or it can be a guy who picks fights because he's insecure in his manhood. Or at least that is how I used to associate the term.

I don't think the term started to get appropriated racially until the 90s, when gangsta rap led people to start associating the term to black men. Even so, I never thought about the term racially until probably in the early 00s when it started to get politically incorrect to use the term to describe black men. Before that, I never thought about the term racially...it just meant any dude who resorts to a life of violence to solve his problems.

I think it's important to recognize the association the term has with black men and how it can be impactful to use it to describe any black man, regardless of what kind of man he is. It's kind of like calling a black man an animal. Some people may use the word innocently to describe an individual black man who may have been worthy of the monicker, but since many people referred(and some still do) to black men as animals due to associating them savagery or lack of intellect, using the term is impactful, regardless of context. So it's best that people recognize that and maybe just call that individual an asshole instead.

I also though think it's important that we don't lose our shit when somebody uses the term, because not everybody is dialed into what's appropriate and what isn't, and not everybody's intentions are what we assume they are due to our politically correct programming. I'm a believer of unless the person has shown otherwise, that we assume there was no ill-intent and maybe just educate the dude and let him go on with his life.

On a side not...it is interesting though, how words evolve meaning over the years. Thug used to just mean any violent male who habitually uses that behavior. Punk used to be used to describe any guy who lives a "punk" lifestyle, i.e. rebellious to mainstream society and listening to wonderfully crappy indie music. But now....thug seems to be associated with violent black men, and punk seems to be associated with violent white men. Though thug is now off the market, so we only call people punks now. But what about in 10 years? Will people inevitably start using punk to describe black men more often than white men? It could be that the term will then evolve a racial connotation and maybe punk will be off the market in 15-20 years.

ADVERTISEMENT