ADVERTISEMENT

It is time to get back into the stock market

Don't get me wrong, I'm chomping at the bit right now.... I regrettably missed out on the 2009+ "sale" so I'm wanting to jump in on some of these opportunities. I just think we still have a ways to go.
Fair enough.:)

I don't think we're at the bottom. Restaurants and travel (hotel / airlines) are in trouble. Millions of service industry workers are not getting paid right now, and that could trickle up to landlords who can't pay mortgages etc.

JPMChase predicting negative GDP this quarter and next. Then growing Q3 on. Just seems like there is no way that everything is back to "good" now looks nothing happened.
Yeah, wait until the small towns in the midwest are getting nailed by the virus. We haven't even begun to peak here. There's a lot more panic to come.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Yeah, wait until the small towns in the midwest are getting nailed by the virus. We haven't even begun to peak here. There's a lot more panic to come.
bring-out-your-dead-gif.gif

A man got it who is local to a small county in Texas called Crane County. It’s south of Odessa with a population of 4,375. I’ve read he commutes to Midland for work so no doubt that it’s likely been spreading here for awhile and we are just now seeing the cases.

Lol, this is the first image that pops up when you google Crane County. If it’s here it’s EVERYWHERE.

200px-Road_to_Castle_Gap_in_Crane_County%2C_TX_DSCN1111.JPG

A man got it who is local to a small county in Texas called Crane County. It’s south of Odessa with a population of 4,375. I’ve read he commutes to Midland for work so no doubt that it’s likely been spreading here for awhile and we are just now seeing the cases.

Lol, this is the first image that pops up when you google Crane County. If it’s here it’s EVERYWHERE.

200px-Road_to_Castle_Gap_in_Crane_County%2C_TX_DSCN1111.JPG
that place looks miserable.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
that place looks miserable.
Old Comanche territory. West Texans were fighting them for this area up until the 1900’s. Some people in the industry have said that anything in title before 1900 west of the Pecos River can be largely discounted. No man would dare try and settle it.

It did used to have a lot more grass like it looks like up in the panhandle all the way up to Canada. But once the Texans drove the Comanches back far enough they would settle the land very very quickly as a means to slow them down from pushing back. They’d have these massive cattle runs move up from Mexico into all parts of the state and they’d put up barbed wire fences to close them in. Those cattle would have mesquite tree seedlings stuck to their fur and it would come off during the run, taking root in all of the soil. Mesquite trees are the devil. Mean ass trees with huge thorns that have deep roots so they absorb all of the water. Once mesquite trees take over, good luck growing anything else. So that is largely to blame why this general area looks so desolate compared to the north and to the east. It should look more like the western portion of the plain states. High altitude grasslands on the edge of the desert.

But yes, it looks hideous.

bMORE, I'm open to an intelligent explanation of how lying about no new case would benefit the Chinese. You're staring me of the explanation.

I can do that and I’m not even plugged in. No new cases reduces the threat level, which would cancel the quarantine, which would put their economy back on track, or at least back headed to what it was before. Ohhh yea and their communists and the govt owns their economy, to and extent, as well as the press.

I don’t believe them bc I don’t see how it’s possible if this thing is as contagious as experts proclaim, how did they make it thru the first time with only what 150k confirmed cases out of 1.3 billion people when in some places the people are stacked on top of each other like sardines in living quarters. I wouldn’t be too dam surprised if China didn’t engineer the corona virus.

Last edited:
I've made my call. How about you making yours? (regarding markets)

Oh, this is not my area. But I think things will get a lot worse before they get better... look at how many industries are going to get hammered as we go into more and more restrictive lockdowns (which I think are inevitable.)

Could be wrong, but I think he is referring to the markets and not necessarily just the virus itself.

Isn't Della a girl? And I thought she meant just in general, not in terms of the market. Either way, it feels to me like this is just beginning... I mean, kids were still on the beaches for spring break a few days ago. This sort of stuff happens gradually... just because we are tired of it doesn't mean it is done, you know?

And there are obviously investment opportunities out there. American isn't "going away" and neither is American business (although some individual businesses certainly will). I would think investment when things are cheap is a great long term plan.

Oh, this is not my area. But I think things will get a lot worse before they get better... look at how many industries are going to get hammered as we go into more and more restrictive lockdowns (which I think are inevitable.)

Isn't Della a girl? And I thought she meant just in general, not in terms of the market. Either way, it feels to me like this is just beginning... I mean, kids were still on the beaches for spring break a few days ago. This sort of stuff happens gradually... just because we are tired of it doesn't mean it is done, you know?

And there are obviously investment opportunities out there. American isn't "going away" and neither is American business (although some individual businesses certainly will). I would think investment when things are cheap is a great long term plan.
From a market perspective, it isn't just beginning. It is more toward the end than the beginning. The market isn't in lockstep with the virus. The markets intake and digest information much quicker. And from a virus perspective, I don't think we're at the beginning, either. I wouldn't say we're at the end, but the people putting lockdowns for more than a couple weeks are nuts. The appropriate action to take is to take this in phases/steps. If you wanna lock down for a couple weeks, fine. Then reassess the situation at that point. Don't just lockdown for eight weeks because you're scared. Information is changing by the minute (Im an executive for one of the largest in home healthcare providers in the country) and it's tough to predict where things will be on Monday let alone eight weeks from now.

I can do that and I’m not even plugged in. No new cases reduces the threat level, which would cancel the quarantine, which would put their economy back on track, or at least back headed to what it was before. Ohhh yea and their communists and the govt owns their economy, to and extent.

I don’t believe them bc I don’t see how it’s possible if this thing is as contagious as expects proclaim, how did they make it thru the first time with only what 150k confirmed cases out of 1.3 billion people when in some places they are stacked on top of each other like sardines.
Well, I've read a little bit into the China claims and it appears that world leaders at this time are thinking that their claim is close to accurate. That's probably the first time people have ever been unanimous in slightly believing something from them, lol. So della does have a point about why would they lie in this situation. Our world has never been apart of a pandemic like this. Nobody alive has ever lived through this so it sounds like they are actually doing something commendable for once.

The reason I quoted you Villian is to address your 2nd paragraph. Once this exploded in China back in January the government there was welding shut doors in and out of buildings in their largest cities. They didn't just suggest to stay at home, they were forcing their citizens to stay home and if you managed to get out you were dealt with. I doubt we will ever know the full story of actions they took to prevent the spread but it was aggressive and possibly violent.

This is a video at the height of their quarantine. The people had no way out of their apartments and had no idea how long it would last for.

Reactions: Big_Blue79

I'm considering investing some as well. Mix of safe and industries that have tanked lately. However, if the Ky Governor is correct I'm thinking of "dollar-cost averaging" and buying some now. Then more if it continues to drop. Thoughts on this @SNU0821 ? Not looking to get rich off it, but it just seems like a good time to get in.

I don't think it is going to get a lot worse.

SNU made an honest mistake on the gender thingie, no big deal.

Reactions: SNU0821
Think will run down another 10% or so. But trying to call the bottom is a crap shoot. Yes, buy now, buy tomorrow, buy in the weeks to come.
Be excited and giddy when others wary and selling- Warren Buffet
I didn't call it a bottom. I just said I think the worst is over.

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
I never got out of the market.

I am down a couple hundred thousand dollars but I am not out, yet. I still have the same number of shares as always.

It will come back or we go down the tank. No matter, I will still have my shares.
Well, that is fine Bert. But, I prefer to adjust my portfolios with my perceived market conditions. I was 75% cash before the virus due my perception that the continued rise in prices were unsustainable. I felt we were due a correction (10-15%). I have not moved any money back until yesterday at which time I moved 30% out of cash into equities.

Well, I've read a little bit into the China claims and it appears that world leaders at this time are thinking that their claim is close to accurate. That's probably the first time people have ever been unanimous in slightly believing something from them, lol. So della does have a point about why would they lie in this situation. Our world has never been apart of a pandemic like this. Nobody alive has ever lived through this so it sounds like they are actually doing something commendable for once.

The reason I quoted you Villian is to address your 2nd paragraph. Once this exploded in China back in January the government there was welding shut doors in and out of buildings in their largest cities. They didn't just suggest to stay at home, they were forcing their citizens to stay home and if you managed to get out you were dealt with. I doubt we will ever know the full story of actions they took to prevent the spread but it was aggressive and possibly violent.

This is a video at the height of their quarantine. The people had no way out of their apartments and had no idea how long it would last for.

Damn that is effin crazy the extents they took to lock it down. I seen on the news how they were spraying the streets with disinfectant, but I haven’t seen anything like welding the doors closed. Guess that’s one benefit of a communist govt, no pesky civil liberties to protect, but I guess in this case effective. I was not at all aware of that. On one hand it almost makes me even more suspicious that they were able to move that fast when they were the first ones dealing with it, but ima old stoner so paranoia comes with the package. Have all these latest spreads of virus’s (swine, bird, SARS) all start in China? Maybe that’s why they were so prepped. I know those at least seemed to impact that side of the globe moreso than ours.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I never got out of the market.

I am down a couple hundred thousand dollars but I am not out, yet. I still have the same number of shares as always.

It will come back or we go down the tank. No matter, I will still have my shares.

Same here. The majority of my holdings are riding. I redirected $50,000 in bonds to stocks. Sold some IBM which has been crap for years and am going to buy some corona beaten down stocks with it, Baby boomers may never see another buying opportunity like this one again. If the market crashes a la 1929, then banks will as well, hold will be worthless. It will be about food, water, and protecting your family-guns. Absolute worst case.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
You UK basketball fans are the biggest hypocrites on Rivals. CBB is the only sport you follow due to the fact UK is a one trick pony. So, in that sense, y'all are the biggest bandwagon fans.

You're kinda like Cicada, you live underground 9 months out of the year only to emerge for a few months of chirping, then back below the soil line.

Is UTooth good at anything other than butt chugging? Your football team is as cool as a Foghat concert, your basketball team has its Superbowl against UK then craps the bed vs. Vandy and the one sport you were legendary at (women's bball) is as dead as Kapernick's NFL career.

It's good to actually be a king at something (UK bball) vs. a loser at everything (UT sports and UT fans at the game of life).

Is UTooth good at anything other than butt chugging? Your football team is as cool as a Foghat concert, your basketball team has its Superbowl against UK then craps the bed vs. Vandy and the one sport you were legendary at (women's bball) is as dead as Kapernick's NFL career.

It's good to actually be a king at something (UK bball) vs. a loser at everything (UT sports and UT fans at the game of life).
We beat you in CFB and Barnes is owning y'all on the court. SCAR is on top in WCBB, so really what do y'all have to hang your hats on? Since we are y'all's betters in everything, why would you chose to bring all this up? Do you just enjoy pain?

We beat you in CFB and Barnes is owning y'all on the court. SCAR is on top in WCBB, so really what do y'all have to hang your hats on? Since we are y'all's betters in everything, why would you chose to bring all this up? Do you just enjoy pain?
Did a UT fan just hide being SCAR WCBB? Pat would be rolling over in her grave.

Now back to your regular schedule programing.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Did a UT fan just hide being SCAR WCBB? Pat would be rolling over in her grave.
Unlike a UK fan, I live in reality and SCAR is great at WCBB in the here and now. I wanted UT to buy Dawn and bring her to Knoxville, but they wouldn't listen..

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Unlike a UK fan, I live in reality and SCAR is great at WCBB in the here and now. I wanted UT to buy Dawn and bring her to Knoxville, but they wouldn't listen..
I understand. I know exactly why you said SCAR. I get it.

I understand. I know exactly why you said SCAR. I get it.
I love the Lady Vols. I really have never brought them up, even when we were great cause it has no bearing on CFB or CBB. (the only two boards we have)

Congratulations on your Superbowl wins in basketball. How many FFs has washed up Barnes brought you? How about championships? In reality, you inbreds have Vandy's trophy case with Duke's arrogance.

Facts are - you are Hardee's. A full menu of mediocre.

I love the Lady Vols. I really have never brought them up, even when we were great cause it has no bearing on CFB or CBB. (the only two boards we have)
Women's CBB doesn't qualify for CBB? Being you're a female, I take your word for it and will act accordingly.

Congratulations on your Superbowl wins in basketball. How many FFs has washed up Barnes brought you? How about championships? In reality, you inbreds have Vandy's trophy case with Duke's arrogance.

Facts are - you are Hardee's. A full menu of mediocre.
7 Superbowl wins, that's 2 more than the Cats. Are you asking about National Coach of the Year, Rick Barnes?

They do have highlights of splitting games with UK in Men's CBB.

....anyway, this isn't what the OP meant. so....
Yeah, we are cool with splitting with UK as long as we get the bigger piece of the split 7-5.;)

7 Superbowl wins, that's 2 more than the Cats. Are you asking about National Coach of the Year, Rick Barnes?

Again, congratulations on that 7-5 regular season Superbowl record and the 2014 sweet 16. I would say act like you have been there before but then I realize you're a UT basketball fan.

Again, congratulations on that 7-5 regular season Superbowl record and the 2014 sweet 16. I would say act like you have been there before but then I realize you're a UT basketball fan.
No, kicking UK ass in CBB is kind new, but after six seasons, ya start getting use to it.

ADVERTISEMENT