ADVERTISEMENT

Is the XII the Most dominant league since the Old Big East?

The league is real good. They've gradually boosted their HC frat while some of the legends from other leagues retired or moved to the NBA or Iona, simultaneously weakening the ACC. Part of the key for the league success was retaining a few of those high end rising head coaches like Drew and Otzelberger. Boynton also seems to be a good one. Then they throw in old dogs like Dixon and Huggins that know the game. And of course Self who is the #1. So yes, the league is brutal.

That said March is a crapshoot I think overall there's a ton of parity.

Is it talent or has the big 12 slowly accumulated the best coaches in the nation.

Coaches are certainly helping. Crazy that the only current winless coaches in the Big 12 are Scott Drew, Bob Huggins, and Mark Adams.

Just go back to the past 4 NCAA Tournaments. 8/10 schools have been at least a 4 seed. And Oklahoma was a 2 seed in 2016 (and made the Final Four), while TCU was a 6 seed in 2018 - and they're likely a top 4 seed this year. The floor is unusually high for all 10 programs.

That being said, it will be interesting to see how the newcomers impact the league. Houston, of course, will be more than ready. UCF, Cincinnati, and BYU are all in the KenPom top 75 so that's good - but none of those 3 schools has made a Sweet 16 in the past decade. They seem more like schools that will be NIT / Bubble teams.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
He's quietly becoming a much more dangerous scorer.

11.5 ppg and 10-14 from 3 in Big XII play? Yeah, I'd take that.

We actually had a light discussion about Dajuan Harris almost 2 years ago. He's always been excellent with ball security; he's never really sped up by ball pressure. I liked what I saw as a freshmen. Not surprised that he's made this leap.

I'm not sure that Dajuan has proven to be ready for the starting PG role on a team with championship aspirations. I think he's better suited for a similar role as last year.

And yes, Harris probably isn't the guy you want as your primary ballhandler if you're chasing a title. Just like his potential, and I think he could be a really solid player down the road.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
It was 19 and the Hawks shot out of their ass while the Clones couldn’t hit anything. I hope we have a rematch in the tournament.
Can't happen. The NCAA doesn't pin rematches in the first two rounds and.....well....Iowa.

11.5 ppg and 10-14 from 3 in Big XII play? Yeah, I'd take that.

We actually had a light discussion about Dajuan Harris almost 2 years ago. He's always been excellent with ball security; he's never really sped up by ball pressure. I liked what I saw as a freshmen. Not surprised that he's made this leap.
I've always liked Harris, but until recently I wasn't sold on him getting 30+ min at PG. I realize that he was the starting PG on a national championship team, but let's be honest....without Remy Martin, that title doesn't happen and most likely they lose in the 2nd round.

I'm sold on him now though. I just needed to see a little bit of offensive development. His release is a lot quicker now, he gets to the rim more consistently, and he's got a nice little floater. His playmaking has improved too, and he was already good in that dept.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukedevilz
The OP misses some facts here. The SEC has won the last 2 SEC - B-12 challenges. I don't know about head to head outside of the challenge and too lazy to look it up.
I find it interesting for K State Football fan to say much about their win in the Big 12 football championship and then got their azz handed to them in their bowl game.
Big 12 looks pretty good so far but don't count your chickens just yet. Basketball is hard to forecast this year.
I will say K St is having a good season so far, But Ken Pom has your SOS at something like 80.

Last edited:
Reactions: toonces11
The OP misses some facts here. The SEC has won the last 2 SEC - B-12 challenges. I don't know about head to head outside of the challenge and too lazy to look it up.
I find it interesting for K State Football fan to say much about their win in the Big 12 football championship and then got their azz handed to them in their bowl game.
Big 12 looks pretty good so far but don't count your chickens just yet. Basketball is hard to forecast this year.
I will say K St is having a good season so far, But Ken Pom has your SOS at something like 80.

You guys cheated and left 9-16 Kentucky at home. 😂

I’m pretty sure the Big 12 has a big head to head lead overall the last several years, including last year.

Barnes has definitely owned Self in their last two matchups though. Facing a team like that in the third game in three days is a bitch.

You guys cheated and left 9-16 Kentucky at home. 😂

I’m pretty sure the Big 12 has a big head to head lead overall the last several years, including last year.

Barnes has definitely owned Self in their last two matchups though. Facing a team like that in the third game in three days is a bitch.
FACTS Exit, I need facts on that head to head shit. I know we beat the B 12 6 -4 last year in the Challenge.
KY in for an ass whipping in the Challenge this year.😎

FACTS Exit, I need facts on that head to head shit. I know we beat the B 12 6 -4 last year in the Challenge.
KY in for an ass whipping in the Challenge this year.😎

I think it’s going to be hard to find any numbers other than the SEC/Big 12 Challenge records.

I remember they were something like 6-1 last year before the challenge, and then Iowa St beat LSU in the tourney. Can’t remember the details of the other years.

I think it’s going to be hard to find any numbers other than the SEC/Big 12 Challenge records.

I remember they were something like 6-1 last year before the challenge, and then Iowa St beat LSU in the tourney. Can’t remember the details of the other years.
It's more fun to let it play out this season anyway.

The SEC owns the little 12 in everything.

Football, basketball, baseball, you name it
Def Not basketball. No league has come close to what the big 12 has done the last 4 years and running. Heck 2018 had 3/8 of the elite 8…. 3 straight #1 finishes including KU 2020. 2019 tech runner up.

Baseball have went toe to toe. OU and Ole miss was a great natty in baseball. Big 12 consistently multiple teams in CWS.

The top dogs of Football def a gap. Gotten owned in playoffs. OU 2017 should have hung a natty. Aside from that, the big 12 has owned the sec in the NY6 bowls the last decade. OU Bama 13, Tcu ole Miss 2014, Texas Georgia sugar 2018, Baylor ole miss last year sugar. Then a lower level bowls winning % - kstate tamu 2016, etc.

• Wow
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Def Not basketball. No league has come close to what the big 12 has done the last 4 years and running. Heck 2018 had 3/8 of the elite 8…. 3 straight #1 finishes including KU 2020. 2019 tech runner up.

Baseball have went toe to toe. OU and Ole miss was a great natty in baseball. Big 12 consistently multiple teams in CWS.

The top dogs of Football def a gap. Gotten owned in playoffs. OU 2017 should have hung a natty. Aside from that, the big 12 has owned the sec in the NY6 bowls the last decade. OU Bama 13, Tcu ole Miss 2014, Texas Georgia sugar 2018, Baylor ole miss last year sugar. Then a lower level bowls winning % - kstate tamu 2016, etc.

Kentucky. Period.

New AP poll:

2 ku
10 Texas
11 kstate
14 ISU
17 TCU
26 Baylor

Half the league in the top 17.

Back to back natties. 3 years in a row finishing #1 in country (Covid 2020 KU). 3 tourneys in a row 2019-21-22 playing in the natty (tech, Baylor, KU).
SEC has 5 teams in the top 25, and then we have Kentucky.
K State hasn't played anybody, they will not end up top 25.

SEC has 5 teams in the top 25, and then we have Kentucky.
K State hasn't played anybody, they will not end up top 25.

Big 12 has 6 then including Baylor (#26) to your Kentucky. Baylor would handle Kentucky.

On kstate I strongly disagree …we’ve beat:

15-4 Nevada
12-5 LSU
WVU (#24 at the time)
#10 Texas
Baylor (#19 at the time)

Reactions: Barrel Man
Big 12 has 6 then including Baylor (#26) to your Kentucky. Baylor would handle Kentucky.

On kstate I strongly disagree …we’ve beat:

15-4 Nevada
12-5 LSU
WVU (#24 at the time)
#10 Texas
Baylor (#19 at the time)
If you are using Nevada and LSU to illustrate your resume, you've already lost.

If you are using Nevada and LSU to illustrate your resume, you've already lost.

Their strength of schedule is about the same as Purdue’s, per Kenpom, and Texas and Baylor on the road are obviously solid wins.

Their strength of schedule is about the same as Purdue’s, per Kenpom, and Texas and Baylor on the road are obviously solid wins.

SOS by itself and without context is a terrible metric to use. Teams throwing a bone to a couple of the dregs of D1 is such a drain on SOS that I wish Purdue didn't do it. Unfortunately, Painter likes to throw a bone to guys he has relationships with. Candidly, I wish the metrics would cap the SOS hit for sub 300 teams. It's become harder for the really bad teams to get buy games and they rely on those to fund their athletic departments but that's a discussion for another thread.

My comment was specifically about the inclusion of Nevada and LSU and I choose to understand context rather than just looking blankly at numbers.

Nevada has one Q1 win and it was a 2 point win over Boise State. That is the only team they've beaten that is currently projected to make the NCAA Tournament. Woof!

LSU has one Q1 win and it's a 3 point win over an Arkansas team that was missing Nick Smith and Trevon Brazile. They've lost 4 of their last 5 without them. They also have just one Q2 win and it was a
2 point win over a middle of the pack Wake Forest team on a neutral court. They also have just one Q3 win. So that means 9 of their 12 wins are Q4 wins. Talk about a paper tiger (pun intended).

And as for Purdue, I'm perfectly fine with where Purdue is schedule wise given they have the most Q1 teams in the country?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
SOS by itself and without context is a terrible metric to use. Teams throwing a bone to a couple of the dregs of D1 is such a drain on SOS that I wish Purdue didn't do it. Unfortunately, Painter likes to throw a bone to guys he has relationships with. Candidly, I wish the metrics would cap the SOS hit for sub 300 teams. It's become harder for the really bad teams to get buy games and they rely on those to fund their athletic departments but that's a discussion for another thread.

My comment was specifically about the inclusion of Nevada and LSU and I choose to understand context rather than just looking blankly at numbers.

Nevada has one Q1 win and it was a 2 point win over Boise State. That is the only team they've beaten that is currently projected to make the NCAA Tournament. Woof!

LSU has one Q1 win and it's a 3 point win over an Arkansas team that was missing Nick Smith and Trevon Brazile. They've lost 4 of their last 5 without them. They also have just one Q2 win and it was a
2 point win over a middle of the pack Wake Forest team on a neutral court. They also have just one Q3 win. So that means 9 of their 12 wins are Q4 wins. Talk about a paper tiger (pun intended).

And as for Purdue, I'm perfectly fine with where Purdue is schedule wise given they have the most Q1 teams in the country?

The comment that K-State has played no one is dumb. Period. I realize you're not the one who posted it, but you jumped in to support it.

@ Texas
@ Baylor
@ TCU

All tough games, obviously. They've played several other decent teams as well. They're 6th in quad 1 wins.

Ok cool. You’re laser focused on the lesser two of the five I mentioned. What about the Texas, Baylor and Wvu ?

Texas beat several great teams. Baylor beat zags and ucla. Then Fell off a cliff in the brutal big 12… If KState beats KU then monster. KU has beat everyone.

Btw, an Alabama fan shouldn't be getting too uppity about quality of wins. They've played three games vs high-quality teams and two were double digit losses.

Btw, an Alabama fan shouldn't be getting too uppity about quality of wins. They've played three games vs high-quality teams and two were double digit losses.
Better check that schedule again. Bama is 5 and 2 in Quad 1 wins in the net and 6 and 2 in the RPI calc.

Better check that schedule again. Bama is 5 and 2 in Quad 1 wins in the net and 6 and 2 in the RPI calc.

I'm not saying that their schedule hasn't been strong.

You're the one who needs to check again. You said that K-State's played no one. They're 4-0 in quad 1 games.

They are 4 - 1 in quad 1 wins in the net and 3 - 1 in the Quad 1 RPI

They are 4 - 1 in quad 1 wins in the net and 3 - 1 in the Quad 1 RPI

I guess the page hadn't been updated.

The point is that they've obviously played several tough games, and won most of them.

The comment that K-State has played no one is dumb. Period. I realize you're not the one who posted it, but you jumped in to support it.

@ Texas
@ Baylor
@ TCU

All tough games, obviously. They've played several other decent teams as well. They're 6th in quad 1 wins.

Ok cool. You’re laser focused on the lesser two of the five I mentioned. What about the Texas, Baylor and Wvu ?

Texas beat several great teams. Baylor beat zags and ucla. Then Fell off a cliff in the brutal big 12… If KState beats KU then monster. KU has beat everyone.
Those three wins are nice. But given we are halfway thru the season, 3 nice wins is just that...nice. It's certainly not something to boast about.

Those three wins are nice. But given we are halfway thru the season, 3 nice wins is just that...nice. It's certainly not something to boast about.

Who's boasting about anything? We were responding to the comment that K-State has played no one. Which is laughable. They've played and beaten good teams. There are only a few teams that have more quad 1 wins.

By that standard, I'm not sure that Purdue has that much to boast about either.

Who's boasting about anything? We were responding to the comment that K-State has played no one. Which is laughable. They've played and beaten good teams. There are only a few teams that have more quad 1 wins.

By that standard, I'm not sure that Purdue has that much to boast about either.
Clearly that dude is a nitwit.

And I won't bother to respond to the Purdue comment because I don't think you believe it.

Clearly that dude is a nitwit.

And I won't bother to respond to the Purdue comment because I don't think you believe it.
I’m a nitwit for what? I posted facts. Why the jab? Insecure?

You then said things that made you look like a nitwit if anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT