ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Summit the biggest news this offseason?

This will be a test of wills. I am going to try my best to only engage in positive threads from here on out. Let's see how long I can hold off.
Don't be a phuckin weiner!!! I love watching the back and forth---i just had nothing to add. I sit on the fence of not being able to tolerate families being torn apart and having laws that aren't enforceable. Neither make sense.

“The Holocaust was legal. Slavery was legal. Segregation was legal.

The brave woman who cared for and hid my 6 year-old aunt in an attic in Budapest was a criminal. She broke the law by sheltering Juden.

Legality is not a guide for morality.”

Read this tweet today. Seems a good place for it.

Out of all the emotional outbursts by the liberals here, I don't believe I’ve seen any real solutions to the problem outside of “stop doing it” which obviously isn’t a solution. Maybe I missed them, but I dont recall seeing any.

What’s a solution to the problem? Catch and release? Pray that they actually show up for their court date? Yeah, that’s worked REAL well. I believe it’s something like 80% don’t show up in court. Shocker. So what’s the solution? Remember, these people are BREAKING THE LAW. They’re putting their own children (sometimes not even their own) in harms way. It’s not like they’re model citizens being wrongfully detained...

So what is it? What’s the solution?

Oh, @LetsGoDuke301...

Donald Trump directs his AG to enforce policies that other presidents, both Republican and Democrat, have not.

http://www.newsweek.com/jeff-sessions-children-parents-border-912972

This is a fact. These separations were not being handled like this or being done at this scale before. The AG even addressed that, being sure to point out...

“If you are smuggling a child, then we will prosecute you and that child will be separated from you as required by law. If you don’t like that, then don’t smuggle children over our border."

.... despite the fact that, regardless of the law, this wasn’t happening like this before... same way cops have the legal right to drag a speeding teen out of the car, cuff them, and search them, but they don’t, because... well, you know.

And the President has been very clear that this change is being used as a bargaining chip.

New thing. Done by the Trump administration.

Nearly everyone in the world saw this change, and what happened because of it, and spoke out against it.

Republicans Senators, like Lindsey Graham and Orrin Hatch and and John McCain. Republican Representatives, like Will Hurd and Mario Diaz Balart. Decorated military leaders like Mike Hayden. Groups like a group of twenty state AGs and dozens of prominent religious leader like Franklin Graham, Tony Suarez, Jentezen Franklin, and Tim Dolan. Former First Ladies and the United Nations.

Nearly everyone in the world, including literally thousands of people who know a lot about our laws, our policies, and what is and is not right, has been speaking out against this.

Then there is you.

Insults and excuses.

Excuses.

Insults and excuses.

Excuses and insults.

Insults and excuses.

Insults.

Excuses.

Excuses.

Excuses.

Excuses and insults.

Not sympathy.

Not sympathy.

Excuses.

Excuses.

Excuses, and lies.

Excuses.

Excuses, and a personal shot.

I detect a lack of sympathy...

Not sympathy.

Insults.

Insults.

More insults. Lies too, but whatevs.

Hah! How could anyone have that idea, that you have no compassion after you point out that hey, the kids aren’t doing HARD LABOR, right?

Just a little personal shot.

You can say that again.

Excuses.

And then... FINALLY... after telling everyone they are brainwashed and stupid, blaming Obama and coyotes, insisting nothing has changed at the border. after pointing out that hey, the kids aren’t doing hard labor or being sold into slavery...

(Oh, and more excuses. And lies.)

Honestly, Letsgo, if you don’t get how your first response to this situation should be a human one, and that because it never was, because you focused on telling people they were brainwashed and this is a liberal ploy and how Obama is as much to blame for this as Trump and SHEESH, it isn’t like we are selling the kids into slavery... you look pretty not-compassionate...?

Now, you could double down and insult someone or complain about how Obama didn’t do anything or bash me or whatever, go the whole “I’m not going read that!” route.

Or you COULD actually take a second and think ‘Shit. Okay, I get how, when I look at ALL of those posts, one after another after another, I come off as not actually caring about the real life people involved here and seem just combative and a bit uncaring.’ And then you could even say something like that, actually reach out an olive branch.

I honestly hope you do that, because I think *not* doing that... well, it would change my opinion of you a bit.

What a verbal, intellectual, ass whoopin' put on by @TheDude1

Last edited:
“The Holocaust was legal. Slavery was legal. Segregation was legal.

The brave woman who cared for and hid my 6 year-old aunt in an attic in Budapest was a criminal. She broke the law by sheltering Juden.

Legality is not a guide for morality.”

Read this tweet today. Seems a good place for it.

I see no lies there or anywhere!

The GOP has the nuclear option to get anything passed they want. Democrats can't stop a thing and you're repeating our President's blame-shifting, irresponsible lie to claim otherwise.

He can do it by EO (not law) today. He has done so in other situations. And if it works, getting a law passed to make it permanent will be easier. But it isn't priority, just like condemning white supremacists wasn't priority. Priority #1 is always himself, which means playing to his base, which includes you.

But but he has the powerful pardon powers (zap zap) to release all of these criminal immigrants from these camps! He's set other criminals free and pardon racist Joe Arpaio

As schooner pointed out, it doesn't take as much time as you might think. We all have our skills, and this happens to be one of TheDude1's.

He actually did exactly what any decent writing teacher will tell you to do, which is to surround quotations with context, application, a lead-in, and a follow-up. It was pretty textbook.

Aka a verbal, intellectual, ass whoopin'

It seems so simple.

Do we need immigration reform? Obviously. We’ve discussed that a lot before.

Had a child ever been taken from their illegal immigrant parents before? Obviously.

Should we be using children and their families as pawns for legal changes? No.

CIS actually passed in the Democratic controlled Senate, but Bohener wouldn't take it up in the House.

Can't having Obama looking toooooo good!

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/06/immigration-reform-passes-senate/

I read that Germany might get rid of tariffs on US automobiles going there. These tariffs worried me as they ultimately drive up end price for consumers but seems like they are being used as leverage... And Germany basically admitted defeat there.

European countries cannot maintain or grow their economies without the US consumer market.

Great move by Trump. I accidentally started a small forest fire behind my parents' house when I was 10. I was able to grab a big super-soaker from the back yard and put it out before it spread among the dry leaves. That was a great move by me.

seems like a good place for this:

9205c0c6009bf31c8f107a8076a7dcb1--sour-patches-sour-patch-kids.jpg

Reactions: SNU0821
I read that Germany might get rid of tariffs on US automobiles going there. These tariffs worried me as they ultimately drive up end price for consumers but seems like they are being used as leverage... And Germany basically admitted defeat there.

European countries cannot maintain or grow their economies without the US consumer market.

Now this would be something to talk about, and to say well done, Teflon Don.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ing-something-on-detained-children/ar-AAyUE7S

Something tells me it wont be received well even though it might be exactly what people are calling for.

People who would not receive that well are...

A) people who complain about executive orders, and particularly complained about Obama using them to circumvent our laws
B) people who think that the law is the law, and we need to follow the law, even if it means kids get taken from their families
C) people who think that immigrants should have changed what they were doing, or otherwise they should have accepted the consequences
D) people who think Trump was right to have Sessions and Justice actively carry out the law I the way they were doing it

But what is strange is that it seems that most of the people who liked that post are those exact people, so I’m a bit baffled. It seems completely illogical. Shouldn’t they be AGAINST Trump changing his mind about this?

People who will receive that well are...

A) people who feel that this new policy from the Trump executive was immoral

Me, personally? I don’t know... I have a hard time saying “Hey, this guy made a moronic, immoral move, tried to use it as a bargaining chip, and then caved in under public pressure... hey, what a great, smart, heartwarming move!”

Instead, it’s like “Yeah, no shit... don’t be an asshat.” He shouldn’t have pushed that policy in the first place. You don’t get a ton of credit for me just for realizing you did something that was horrible when it was clearly horrible in the first place, and you even made a bunch of people come our and defend it.

Toonces, I think that your comment about some people not receiving this well... well, it didn’t maybe mean what you thought.

Reactions: Quavarius
People who would not receive that well are...

A) people who complain about executive orders, and particularly complained about Obama using them to circumvent our laws
B) people who think that the law is the law, and we need to follow the law, even if it means kids get taken from their families
C) people who think that immigrants should have changed what they were doing, or otherwise they should have accepted the consequences
D) people who think Trump was right to have Sessions and Justice actively carry out the law I the way they were doing it

But what is strange is that it seems that most of the people who liked that post are those exact people, so I’m a bit baffled. It seems completely illogical. Shouldn’t they be AGAINST Trump changing his mind about this?

People who will receive that well are...

A) people who feel that this new policy from the Trump executive was immoral

Me, personally? I don’t know... I have a hard time saying “Hey, this guy made a moronic, immoral move, tried to use it as a bargaining chip, and then caved in under public pressure... hey, what a great, smart, heartwarming move!”

Instead, it’s like “Yeah, no shit... don’t be an asshat.” He shouldn’t have pushed that policy in the first place. You don’t get a ton of credit for me just for realizing you did something that was horrible when it was clearly horrible in the first place, and you even made a bunch of people come our and defend it.

Toonces, I think that your comment about some people not receiving this well... well, it didn’t maybe mean what you thought.
I think people should just be happy that kids wont be separated now.......enjoy it for a bit, and then focus on solving the problem of keeping illegals out of the country and improving the process to come into the USA legally.....also being productive citizens.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ing-something-on-detained-children/ar-AAyUE7S

Something tells me it wont be received well even though it might be exactly what people are calling for.
What would "received well" look like? He was responsible for this policy, blamed it on Democrats, and now stops it. One step back, one step forward. Are we supposed to applaud him now for what could ultimately be but is not yet the undoing of a terrible, stupid thing he did?

This EO is progress and an improvement and a sign that he might actually recognize he is President for all of us, because based on how his base defended the original policy announcement, this shouldn't be a move they endorse.

So what’s the solution? Remember, these people are BREAKING THE LAW. They’re putting their own children (sometimes not even their own) in harms way. It’s not like they’re model citizens being wrongfully detained...

So what is it? What’s the solution?
100% it won't be received well. Doesn't fit the liberal MSM narrative. All things Trump are bad.
Could you explain how it fits your narrative, please?

What would "received well" look like? He was responsible for this policy, blamed it on Democrats, and now stops it. One step back, one step forward. Are we supposed to applaud him now for what could ultimately be but is not yet the undoing of a terrible, stupid thing he did?

This EO is progress and an improvement and a sign that he might actually recognize he is President for all of us, because based on how his base defended the original policy announcement, this shouldn't be a move they endorse.
Not responsible for the policy, he is somewhat responsible for enforcing its teeth. Do you place any blame on who drew the policy up?

I think people should just be happy that kids wont be separated now.......enjoy it for a bit, and then focus on solving the problem of keeping illegals out of the country and improving the process to come into the USA legally.....also being productive citizens.
Two questions:
1, What was President Obama's greatest accomplishment?
2, How long did you celebrate it?

This is the third thing President Trump has done that I genuinely liked. Considering all the things I've thought were horrible, exactly how much should I celebrate it? Isn't that kind of like posturing after a dunk that cuts your team's deficit to 82-50?

Not responsible for the policy, he is somewhat responsible for enforcing its teeth. Do you place any blame on who drew the policy up?
AG Sessions announced the policy, but the buck stops with President Trump. Screw ups by people around him eventually add up to blame he deserves.

If you're referring to the 1996 law, that was not responsible for this specific policy in any way, shape, or form.

Two questions:

I'll answer this. 1a). The economy. 1b). The decision to move on bin Laden's compound.

Celebrate one everytime I look at my 401k. The other for a long time.

Reactions: Dattier
Two questions:

This is the third thing President Trump has done that I genuinely liked. Considering all the things I've thought were horrible, exactly how much should I celebrate it? Isn't that kind of like posturing after a dunk that cuts your team's deficit to 82-50?
I would say bin laden by a mile. Might not have had anything to do with it, but it happened on his watch. I celebrated like a happy hippy

I also think he was a great dad.

For all his faults on racism, he did show enormous amounts of compassion to the disenfranchised.

Reactions: Dattier and SNU0821
Two questions:

Just curious. Do you have an answer to #1? I would guess, becoming president.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I would say bin laden by a mile. Might not have had anything to do with it, but it happened on his watch. I celebrated like a happy hippy

I also think he was a great dad.

For all his faults on racism, he did show enormous amounts of compassion to the disenfranchised.

Just as a note, for people who are interested...

Obama had quite a bit to do with getting Bin Laden. I suggest you read a bit about it... Bob ONeils book, The Operator, discusses it, and they discuss it a bit in No Easy Day, by Mark Owen. There were several different possible approaches to getting Bin Laden, including just obliterating the compound with traditional bombing and hitting it with a drone. The most certain way, but the riskiest, was using JSOC guys to get him... but Obama asked them if they could do it, and they said yes, so he went with them. He was also very clear that they would be no meddling in the process by politicians, and that we would support them no matter what. There was a lot of discussion about what would happen if the guys got caught, pinned at the Bin Laden compound by Pak forces... From The Operator...

“Of course, they (The Pakistanis) probably would have just tried to arrest us. I wasn’t in the meeting, but as our training was nearing an end, I heard that when President Obama was presented with that possibility, he nodded his head and said, “Okay, that’s interesting.” Then he looked at the Air Force chief of staff and said, “What do you need to rain hell on Pakistan—because my guys aren’t surrendering to anybody.”
I was so proud of him. Our guys tend to be extremely conservative politically, but he could have gotten a lot of votes from us that day.”

He was the one who decided we’d go in and get him, he was involved in the lead up, and he gave the go order; that order couldn’t come from anyone but the boss. He was as involved as any President could be.

Owen talks about how involved Obama was, how much he appreciated his announcement of us killing Bin Laden, and how, while he is a dedicated Republican...

“We respected him as the commander in chief of the military and for giving us the green light on the mission.”

I know certain people have this preconceived notion of who Obama is... but when you read about him, people consistently say that he is one of the most disciplined, focused, and ready to make hard decisions guys around.

Btw, another funny episode about it... when they brought Obama’s body out, they were met by Bill McCraven, who was the JSOC commander. Bin Ladens body was lying there, and they checked him against his description as best they could before finally confirming to Obama that they got him.

“The president had asked McRaven to confirm the body was bin Laden’s. The intel guys hadn’t had time to get DNA comparisons yet. McRaven unzipped the bag and took a look. He knew that bin Laden was tall, about 6'4", a respectable altitude for an NBA shooting guard. He decided to measure the body right there, just to make sure it was the correct height. It took a few minutes for us to realize that nobody had a tape measure. McRaven looked around until his gaze settled on a particular guy. “Son, how tall are you?” he asked.
The guy replied, “Well, sir, I’m about six-two.”
“Good,” McRaven said. “Come here. I want you to lie down next to the remains here.”
“I’m sorry, sir. You want me to do what?”
McRaven repeated his request.
The guy stretched out next to the body. Sure enough, he was a couple of inches shorter. When McRaven reported back to Obama, the president said, “Let me get this straight, you can destroy one of my two-hundred-million-dollar helicopters, but you can’t afford a ninety-nine-cent tape measure?” Guy’s pretty funny. I heard he later gave McRaven a plaque with a tape measure on it.”

Guy was funny, with just the right amount of edge.

Last edited:
Just as a note, for people who are interested...

Obama had quite a bit to do with getting Bin Laden. I suggest you read a bit about it... Bob ONeils book, The Operator, discusses it, and they discuss it a bit in No Easy Day, by Mark Owen. There were several different possible approaches to getting Bin Laden, including just obliterating the compound with traditional bombing and hitting it with a drone. The most certain way, but the riskiest, was using JSOC guys to get him... but Obama asked them if they could do it, and they said yes, so he went with them. He was also very clear that they would be no meddling in the process by politicians, and that we would support them no matter what. There was a lot of discussion about what would happen if the guys got caught, pinned at the Bin Laden compound by Pak forces... From The Operator...

“Of course, they (The Pakistanis) probably would have just tried to arrest us. I wasn’t in the meeting, but as our training was nearing an end, I heard that when President Obama was presented with that possibility, he nodded his head and said, “Okay, that’s interesting.” Then he looked at the Air Force chief of staff and said, “What do you need to rain hell on Pakistan—because my guys aren’t surrendering to anybody.”
I was so proud of him. Our guys tend to be extremely conservative politically, but he could have gotten a lot of votes from us that day.”

He was the one who decided we’d go in and get him, he was involved in the lead up, and he gave the go order; that order couldn’t come from anyone but the boss. He was as involved as any President could be.

Owen talks about how involved Obama was, how much he appreciated his announcement of us killing Bin Laden, and how, while he is a dedicated Republican...

“We respected him as the commander in chief of the military and for giving us the green light on the mission.”

I know certain people have this preconceived notion of who Obama is... but when you read about him, people consistently say that he is one of the most disciplined, focused, and ready to make hard decisions guys around.

Btw, another funny episode about it... when they brought Obama’s body out, they were met by Bill McCraven, who was the JSOC commander. Bin Ladens body was lying there, and they checked him against his description as best they could before finally confirming to Obama that they got him.

“The president had asked McRaven to confirm the body was bin Laden’s. The intel guys hadn’t had time to get DNA comparisons yet. McRaven unzipped the bag and took a look. He knew that bin Laden was tall, about 6'4", a respectable altitude for an NBA shooting guard. He decided to measure the body right there, just to make sure it was the correct height. It took a few minutes for us to realize that nobody had a tape measure. McRaven looked around until his gaze settled on a particular guy. “Son, how tall are you?” he asked.
The guy replied, “Well, sir, I’m about six-two.”
“Good,” McRaven said. “Come here. I want you to lie down next to the remains here.”
“I’m sorry, sir. You want me to do what?”
McRaven repeated his request.
The guy stretched out next to the body. Sure enough, he was a couple of inches shorter. When McRaven reported back to Obama, the president said, “Let me get this straight, you can destroy one of my two-hundred-million-dollar helicopters, but you can’t afford a ninety-nine-cent tape measure?” Guy’s pretty funny. I heard he later gave McRaven a plaque with a tape measure on it.”

Guy was funny, with just the right amount of edge.
Thats a pretty good story. Bin Laden and Hussein were so evil that it made them unhuman. Its never a good thing to celebrate death but that one weighed on zero peoples conscience (hopefully). I don't think Obama was a terrible POTUS or a bad person. I didn't like him much bc he created a bigger problem with healthcare, appointed people to positions based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.....just to create firsts (i get he was trying to break down barriers, but the best person for the job should get it), and he was divisive in his constant talks about racism----not in the same way trump is by any means, but he had an angle and worked it. All these things made him a hero to one contingent, but really turned off half of america......he was too one sided imo.

Reactions: ChiTownSean
Thats a pretty good story. Bin Laden and Hussein were so evil that it made them unhuman. Its never a good thing to celebrate death but that one weighed on zero peoples conscience (hopefully). I don't think Obama was a terrible POTUS or a bad person. I didn't like him much bc he created a bigger problem with healthcare, appointed people to positions based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.....just to create firsts (i get he was trying to break down barriers, but the best person for the job should get it), and he was divisive in his constant talks about racism----not in the same way trump is by any means, but he had an angle and worked it. All these things made him a hero to one contingent, but really turned off half of america......he was too one sided imo.

And I disagree with all of that Obama stuff... but so be it:)

Yeah, I definitely recommend both books... I LOVE reading about the whole Bin Laden thing. As a New Yorker, I celebrated when he was killed like I'm not sure I've celebrated anything in my life. **** that guy; he deserved to have his head split in half by those bullets.

And I disagree with all of that Obama stuff... but so be it:)

Yeah, I definitely recommend both books... I LOVE reading about the whole Bin Laden thing. As a New Yorker, I celebrated when he was killed like I'm not sure I've celebrated anything in my life. **** that guy; he deserved to have his head split in half by those bullets.
And thats perfectly fine, but I don't think my opinions on him are outrageous. Healthcare is a wreck right now....directly b/c of the ACA and thats just common knowledge. It can be argued it will still have problems with the old system and that would be correct as well. I guess one could look up all his appointed positions and see just how many firsts there were by coincidence....but that would be boring and probably not prove anybody point. And he sure seemed to inflame race relations on numerous numerous occasions where he took a side without all the info.

I don't read a whole bunch but i should make time for it. A lot of those books look soo boring but I'm sure once you get into it they are a good read.

ADVERTISEMENT