ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Prius the new Stratus?

toonces11

Mar 3, 2010
Team
Kansas
There’s a lot of sterotypes in the greater gearhead global community about Prius drivers, many of which are unfair. The vast majority of Prius drivers are, I’m sure, fine, upstanding people. But not all, and this is the percentage that gives them a bad name. Drivers like an Olympia, Washington woman who refused to pull over for a cop, telling the officer “I drive a Prius.

Now, to be fair, there was a little more to the quote. She said “I drive a Prius. I am not pulling over there.

Much better.

The incident happened last Sunday in Marysville, Washington, when a Washington State Patrol trooper noticed the white Prius driving on expired license plate tags. The trooper turned on his lights, but, according to the arrest report, 42-year old Jamie Petrozzi “made no reasonable attempt to pull over.”

About a mile later, Petrozzi left the highway and stopped at an intersection, prompting the trooper to use his loudspeaker to tell her to get out of the road. Petrozzi remained in the intersection, so the trooper approached the driver’s window, and told her again to pull off the road.

This is when she said “I will not. I drive a Prius. I am not pulling over there.” While it’s not clear why owning a Prius would keep someone from pulling over anywhere, the report suggested that she wouldn’t pull over onto the shoulder because her “tires kept popping,” which I’m pretty sure isn’t a thing about Priuses.

Petrozzi stated she would pull into a bank parking lot, presumably nearby. After the fourth request to pull off the road was refused, she was forced out of the car, which prompted her to tell the trooper “I will own your bank account. I will own your house.”

Just in case that didn’t endear Petrozzi enough to the cop, when asked for her name she said “None of your business.”

She seems nice.

Petrozzi was arrested for investigation of failing to obey instructions, failing to identify herself, and for obstruction, which are misdemeanors.

Thanks for keeping the stereotype going!

Technically, you can slow down and pullover in a place you feel safe. Like a gas station instead of the side of dark highway at night. It’s safe for everyone.

I hate when people panic and stop in their tracks obstructing traffic.

FTR - I own multiple vehicles ranging from a F250 Diesel to a Prius.

Reactions: KisteK
Technically, you can slow down and pullover in a place you feel safe. Like a gas station instead of the side of dark highway at night. It’s safe for everyone.

Nooooooo. You have a prius? 99% of prius owners drive below the speed limit and never leave the left lane.....and as far as aesthetics go..yikes. In Kansas you can pull into a well lit area on the interstate, but almost everywhere is well lit unless you are on a two lane hwy. I have never understood why people would pull over on the main road in town when getting stopped. Just pull off on the first side street---avoid congestion, avoid rubber neckers, and it just common sense to get the hell out of the way.

Nooooooo. You have a prius? 99% of prius owners drive below the speed limit and never leave the left lane.....and as far as aesthetics go..yikes. In Kansas you can pull into a well lit area on the interstate, but almost everywhere is well lit unless you are on a two lane hwy. I have never understood why people would pull over on the main road in town when getting stopped. Just pull off on the first side street---avoid congestion, avoid rubber neckers, and it just common sense to get the hell out of the way.
We bought a Prius years ago a a beater car here in the DC metro. My wife puts a ton of miles on her car and the Prius gave us HOV access. Plus we didn’t mind it getting dinged up. Technically I still own it, but I let my father in law drive it around. Of the vehicles we own, we have the hybrid Prius, and 3 V-8’s with one being a tuned diesel.

*Edit - no slow drivers here and thinking about a Tesla. Haven’t had the balls to pull the trigger yet.

We bought a Prius years ago a a beater car here in the DC metro. My wife puts a ton of miles on her car and the Prius gave us HOV access. Plus we didn’t mind it getting dinged up. Technically I still own it, but I let my father in law drive it around. Of the vehicles we own, we have the hybrid Prius, and 3 V-8’s with one being a tuned diesel.

*Edit - no slow drivers here and thinking about a Tesla. Haven’t had the balls to pull the trigger yet.
I'd probably change my mind for the HOV lane access if I were in a bigger area--I just hate them with a passion. Both my wife and I have V8's---RR Sport and my H2 SUT. She wants something bigger and I'll eventually have to give up my truck b/c its getting older---just cant bring myself to do it b/c i like it so much.

I'd probably change my mind for the HOV lane access if I were in a bigger area--I just hate them with a passion. Both my wife and I have V8's---RR Sport and my H2 SUT. She wants something bigger and I'll eventually have to give up my truck b/c its getting older---just cant bring myself to do it b/c i like it so much.
We moved so we don’t use the HOV as frequently, thus I let her dad drive it. She’s been driving a 5 series for a while now and we’ll get rid of it at some point. Eyeing a few different options including the Tesla, Panamera, or E400 convertible.

You always need a truck. I’ll always have one.

Would rather have a Tesla. I drive a 2013 GTI that gets good miles in the city. Prius’s seem overpriced for what it is. Which is basically a hybrid Yaris.

Would rather have a Tesla. I drive a 2013 GTI that gets good miles in the city. Prius’s seem overpriced for what it is. Which is basically a hybrid Yaris.
Meh, Prius has more space and they last forever. I get that hate for Prius drivers but not the car itself.

We moved so we don’t use the HOV as frequently, thus I let her dad drive it. She’s been driving a 5 series for a while now and we’ll get rid of it at some point. Eyeing a few different options including the Tesla, Panamera, or E400 convertible.

You always need a truck. I’ll always have one.
I thought about getting an LR4 with the tow package and just pulling my light duty trailer when I need to pick up stuff that would fit in my truck bed. Who knows. Neither of us can drive a car b/c of the amount of junk we haul around: Stoller, real estate signs, tennis equip. Me---anything under the sun.

I thought about getting an LR4 with the tow package and just pulling my light duty trailer when I need to pick up stuff that would fit in my truck bed. Who knows. Neither of us can drive a car b/c of the amount of junk we haul around: Stoller, real estate signs, tennis equip. Me---anything under the sun.
We used to have a LR4 and it was a pretty good vehicle, but a little too top heavy for me. Have the RR and I love it but the new Discovery is probably a much better value proposition

Reactions: toonces11
i-drive-a-dodge-stratus.jpg
Were stratus drivers known for being bad?

We used to have a LR4 and it was a pretty good vehicle, but a little too top heavy for me. Have the RR and I love it but the new Discovery is probably a much better value proposition
Do you have the full size RR? How would you compare it to the LR4. With 4 grown adults or 2 and a car seat, the sport ends up being pretty cramped. I used the Turo app when I flew to break a few weeks ago and rented a guys LR4---it feels noticeably bigger than the sport, but doesn't have near the engine performance as her sport. I haven't tested the full size yet but I'd assume it is bigger? The extended wheelbase version doesn't look right to me.

Pic of your vagina?

Prius and Mini vans are always drivers that you should avoid.

The former care more about the fact that they drive an energy star refrigerator on wheels than anything else to do with the road.

The latter are a moving billboard for distracted driving.

Reactions: RonEJones
I always find the douchebags with huge lifted trucks suck at driving. I.e. can’t stay in thier own lane.

Reactions: brooky03
Do you have the full size RR? How would you compare it to the LR4. With 4 grown adults or 2 and a car seat, the sport ends up being pretty cramped. I used the Turo app when I flew to break a few weeks ago and rented a guys LR4---it feels noticeably bigger than the sport, but doesn't have near the engine performance as her sport. I haven't tested the full size yet but I'd assume it is bigger? The extended wheelbase version doesn't look right to me.
We have the LWB RR with the 5.0 and it’s a monster. Space is night and day different from any vehicle I’ve driven. I’m 6’5” and I ride quite comfortably. Cargo space is about the same as the LR4 but passenger comfort will be much better. Performance too.
Pic of your vagina?
It’s nicer than yours.

I always find the douchebags with huge lifted trucks suck at driving. I.e. can’t stay in thier own lane.
This is what 90% of the vehicles on the road are around where I live. I've lived in urban, suburban and rural areas and there is nobody worse at driving than the guy in the huge pickup. Nobody.

These trucks usually have some ridiculous decals on the window and some sort of galactically stupid hitch cover. These trucks come standard with a yeti cooler and more often than not driven by a pop country d bag jamming luke bryan. Also, tons of shit hanging from the mirror

Reactions: UL_1986
Well, that is because living in NJ, you are used to everyone being a shitty driver. Down here, the Prius drivers, A.K.A. NJ implants, have a very particular trend. Shitty driving.

Shitty drivers? No no, we just have shit to DO, so get out of our way.

Not sure about Prius drivers and connections to NJ... I don't see many up here.

I'm googling this Prius drivers thing. Really, never anything I've heard. Feels vaguely "These dumb people, with their electric cars!"

Shitty drivers? No no, we just have shit to DO, so get out of our way.

Not sure about Prius drivers and connections to NJ... I don't see many up here.

I'm googling this Prius drivers thing. Really, never anything I've heard. Feels vaguely "These dumb people, with their electric cars!"

You googled it and couldn't find anything? The internet is littered with reasons how/when/why/where prius drivers are some of the worst. Not hearing about it is almost impossible.

You googled it and couldn't find anything? The internet is littered with reasons how/when/why/where prius drivers are some of the worst. Not hearing about it is almost impossible.

No no, I meant "I'm googling" like "I am going to google." I found a bunch of stuff about it, but it just seems SO vague... I have a hard time believing that a certain car (and especially one that does not check any sort of extreme box, like a Lambo or something) attracts a certain type of shitty driver? It just seems too vague.

No no, I meant "I'm googling" like "I am going to google." I found a bunch of stuff about it, but it just seems SO vague... I have a hard time believing that a certain car (and especially one that does not check any sort of extreme box, like a Lambo or something) attracts a certain type of shitty driver? It just seems too vague.
Well, I doubt their has been verifiable studies on the issue---just seems a "more often than not" situation. Probably has to do with the type of driver that purchases these vehicles. Regardless, they are the worst on the road by far that I've experienced. Also---they are usually tagged with 5 or 6 bumper sticker that make you want to cut their brake lines.

If you own a Honda Civic from any year, an older Nissan Skyline or a Toyota Celica AND have a big exhaust strapped to the little turd of a car, there is a zero percent chance you drive well.

Prius and Mini vans are always drivers that you should avoid.

The former care more about the fact that they drive an energy star refrigerator on wheels than anything else to do with the road.

The latter are a moving billboard for distracted driving.
Subaru hippies too.

Reactions: RonEJones
These trucks usually have some ridiculous decals on the window and some sort of galactically stupid hitch cover. These trucks come standard with a yeti cooler and more often than not driven by a pop country d bag jamming luke bryan. Also, tons of shit hanging from the mirror
Nailed it

Well, I doubt their has been verifiable studies on the issue---just seems a "more often than not" situation. Probably has to do with the type of driver that purchases these vehicles. Regardless, they are the worst on the road by far that I've experienced. Also---they are usually tagged with 5 or 6 bumper sticker that make you want to cut their brake lines.

Confirmation bias is a thing that exists.

Confirmation bias is a thing that exists.
confirmation bias against a vehicle? maybe, or it could just be actual shitty drivers. its kinda like how the morbidly obese always drive the smallest vehicles on the planet.

confirmation bias against a vehicle? maybe, or it could just be actual shitty drivers. its kinda like how the morbidly obese always drive the smallest vehicles on the planet.

It's confirmation bias against the type of people that you believe drive a Prius. It's a stereotype that drove an entire South Park episode a number of years back. Because you have an expectation (from whatever source, even your anecdotal experience), you are hyper-cognizant of any actions by a Prius that you consider to be dangerous or bad driving, which serves to further fuel your bias. It's a self-perpetuating cycle.

Another example is "the morbidly obese always drive the smallest vehicles." You will notice them more and not notice when the morbidly obese are in larger vehicles, hence "confirming" your "bias."

My driving bias is that more than one bumper sticker means you're a terrible driver. But I don't start threads about it.

It's confirmation bias against the type of people that you believe drive a Prius. It's a stereotype that drove an entire South Park episode a number of years back. Because you have an expectation (from whatever source, even your anecdotal experience), you are hyper-cognizant of any actions by a Prius that you consider to be dangerous or bad driving, which serves to further fuel your bias. It's a self-perpetuating cycle.

Another example is "the morbidly obese always drive the smallest vehicles." You will notice them more and not notice when the morbidly obese are in larger vehicles, hence "confirming" your "bias."

My driving bias is that more than one bumper sticker means you're a terrible driver. But I don't start threads about it.
I see. I think the thing you are missing is that I really don't give a shit. I personally think most drivers are terrible--fat/skinny, prius/tahoe. Just a bunch of derps that refuse to follow common traffic laws. At no point do terms like confirmation bias, self-perpetuating, hyper cognizant make their way into a conversation about shitty drivers driving shitty vehicles. You should talk more about this bumper sticker issue b/c I'm interested.

At no point do terms like confirmation bias, self-perpetuating, hyper cognizant make their way into a conversation about shitty drivers driving shitty vehicles. You should talk more about this bumper sticker issue b/c I'm interested.

Relax, my man! I love bumper stickers! It's like a filter for people I don't want to deal with in my life. I also like conversations on the internet, and I don't take them very seriously.

I think the thing you are missing is that I really don't give a shit.

Wut?

There’s a lot of sterotypes in the greater gearhead global community about Prius drivers, many of which are unfair. The vast majority of Prius drivers are, I’m sure, fine, upstanding people. But not all, and this is the percentage that gives them a bad name. Drivers like an Olympia, Washington woman who refused to pull over for a cop, telling the officer “I drive a Prius.

Now, to be fair, there was a little more to the quote. She said “I drive a Prius. I am not pulling over there.

Much better.

The incident happened last Sunday in Marysville, Washington, when a Washington State Patrol trooper noticed the white Prius driving on expired license plate tags. The trooper turned on his lights, but, according to the arrest report, 42-year old Jamie Petrozzi “made no reasonable attempt to pull over.”

About a mile later, Petrozzi left the highway and stopped at an intersection, prompting the trooper to use his loudspeaker to tell her to get out of the road. Petrozzi remained in the intersection, so the trooper approached the driver’s window, and told her again to pull off the road.

This is when she said “I will not. I drive a Prius. I am not pulling over there.” While it’s not clear why owning a Prius would keep someone from pulling over anywhere, the report suggested that she wouldn’t pull over onto the shoulder because her “tires kept popping,” which I’m pretty sure isn’t a thing about Priuses.

Petrozzi stated she would pull into a bank parking lot, presumably nearby. After the fourth request to pull off the road was refused, she was forced out of the car, which prompted her to tell the trooper “I will own your bank account. I will own your house.”

Just in case that didn’t endear Petrozzi enough to the cop, when asked for her name she said “None of your business.”

She seems nice.

Petrozzi was arrested for investigation of failing to obey instructions, failing to identify herself, and for obstruction, which are misdemeanors.

Thanks for keeping the stereotype going!

;)

I always love selling Prius's, the buyers weren't the most cunning of customers. We'd give zero discounts and they'd still buy them. Huge commission checks.

Relax, my man! I love bumper stickers! It's like a filter for people I don't want to deal with in my life. I also like conversations on the internet, and I don't take them very seriously.

Wut?

;)
uhhhhh...

ADVERTISEMENT