ADVERTISEMENT

Is the day of the "Blue Blood" over?

i agree about IU and UL, next tier down from blueblood imo

also from Phogs post im not sure what putting people in the nba has to do with blue blood status. If a program is cuting down the nets regularly, who cares if their players are nba quality or not. I dont get that as a criteria imo.
Yeah, it really shouldn’t be a criteria. In the OAD era at least. There have been a zillion players who bolted to the league after accomplishing next to nothing in one year of college.

Reactions: Villian07
i agree about IU and UL, next tier down from blueblood imo

also from Phogs post im not sure what putting people in the nba has to do with blue blood status. If a program is cuting down the nets regularly, who cares if their players are nba quality or not. I dont get that as a criteria imo.
I couldn't agree more with that.

Yeah in theory I get it, if you claim to put more guys into the NBA you can claim you have had better players. But, is it just better prospects? Most drafts are on potential, and not completely on what a player has done in college. Also, if you don't have the next level winning to go with the players is just saying you had them on your team a cover for coming up short?

Yeah in theory I get it, if you claim to put more guys into the NBA you can claim you have had better players. But, is it just better prospects? Most drafts are on potential, and not completely on what a player has done in college. Also, if you don't have the next level winning to go with the players is just saying you had them on your team a cover for coming up short?
Not performing on the court and then having a lot of NBA talent only proves how crappy your team/program was during their stay.

Not performing on the court and then having a lot of NBA talent only proves how crappy your team/program was during their stay.
LOL It depends on the experience of the NBA talent. Also its a crap shoot recruiting and playing youth, just as it is with the NBA signing youth. You really don't know who will pan out. Most of our guys have, I know your underlying theme to this thread is a dig at UK and trying to diminish our program lol. UK is a solid Blue Blood. You tend to see things in a short time period with the recent success of UT. UK has been in it for the long haul, and that won't change. I think most UK fans are glad the conference is picking up. I know I am. There's going to be some awesome conference games this year and everyone wins with that.

LOL It depends on the experience of the NBA talent. Also its a crap shoot recruiting and playing youth, just as it is with the NBA signing youth. You really don't know who will pan out. Most of our guys have, I know your underlying theme to this thread is a dig at UK and trying to diminish our program lol. UK is a solid Blue Blood. You tend to see things in a short time period with the recent success of UT. UK has been in it for the long haul, and that won't change. I think most UK fans are glad the conference is picking up. I know I am. There's going to be some awesome conference games this year and everyone wins with that.
Talent evaluation is a thing, a big thing. So, I do think you have an idea.

Me take a dig at UK?! What would ever make you say such a thing? I have not even mentioned UK. I was more interested in the evolution of the game. I hate one and done. I hate kids going to college when they have no business or desire to learn a field of study that a school teaches.

Says the fan of the team with the coach that did nothing with KEVIN EFFIN DURANT. The best nba player to play college ball since like jordan i guess.

I guess there was a reason you left out coach and just went with team/program lol

Last edited:
Yea for sure not pointing at UK just about every team in the country (maybe not UofL!) is putting OADs through the pipeline and when these guys are in college they are nowhere close to being the product we see a few yrs later in the NBA.

Back in the day when a coach had a guy for 3-4 yrs, or even 2... you could argue the coach/program played a real role in putting a guy in the league, it just don't feel like that these days.

Talent evaluation is a thing, a big thing. So, I do think you have an idea.

Me take a dig at UK?! What would ever make you say such a thing? I have not even mentioned UK. I was more interested in the evolution of the game. I hate one and done. I hate kids going to college when they have no business or desire to learn a field of study that a school teaches.
LOL Della, just based on your past posts lol. It is a very good topic. The total one and done is over with as far as UK is concerned and I'm glad to see it end. I've also liked 2-3 young studs with solid experienced players on our team. At least with the transfers, that will continue. And our offense is getting an overhaul which I'm excited to see. It should be a fun year.

Says the fan of the team with the coach that did nothing with KEVIN EFFIN DURANT. The best nba player to play college ball since like jordan i guess.

I guess there was a reason you left out coach and just went with team/program lol
That's kinda stupid for you to say. Kevin Durant had a stellar career at Texas. In the second rd. when Texas was upset by USC Durant scored 30 pts. It's not like Texas had 4 or 5 Durants on the court.

We were kinda talking about teams that flood the NBA with talent, but don't perform at the university.

LOL Della, just based on your past posts lol. It is a very good topic. The total one and done is over with as far as UK is concerned and I'm glad to see it end. I've also liked 2-3 young studs with solid experienced players on our team. At least with the transfers, that will continue. And our offense is getting an overhaul which I'm excited to see. It should be a fun year.
I kinda think each thread deserves to be graded on it's own merit.

You know we had two one and dones this last year and I hate it for us too. By the time these talented players get sorted out they are gone.

That's kinda stupid for you to say. Kevin Durant had a stellar career at Texas. In the second rd. when Texas was upset by USC Durant scored 30 pts. It's not like Texas had 4 or 5 Durants on the court.

We were kinda talking about teams that flood the NBA with talent, but don't perform at the university.
That describes barnes at texas to a T. He always had nba talent in austin.

I kinda think each thread deserves to be graded on it's own merit.

You know we had two one and dones this last year and I hate it for us too. By the time these talented players get sorted out they are gone.
So two one and dones and how far did Tennesee dance? That a direct reflection of the team/program like you put in your previous post?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
So two one and dones and how far did Tennesee dance? That a direct reflection of the team/program like you put in your previous post?
I have no idea why you're so upset, but if you want to argue that's fine, just make sense. Didn't I just say, "I hated one and done"? Last year wasn't great, but at least we didn't set a historical record for sucking like some did.

Regarding our other post (hope you don't mind me addressing it here), Durant had a stellar career at Tex. He scored above his seasonal average in post season. So, Barnes didn't miss handle Durant in the least which is what you implied earlier. You saying it describes Barnes to a t requires more than your goofball opinon.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
I was just calling out your ridiculous post about how having a bunch of nba players on the roster and not accomplishing anything on the court is somehow related to having a crappy team/program.

Kevin durant plus dj augustine

Not to mention aj abrams and pittman were solid players. It wasnt kd and ymca squad.

the fact texas lost in the 2nd round and durant had 30 makes barnes look even worse imo.

I never said barnes mishandled kd i said he didnt win anything with him, despite KDs stellar career.

I was just calling out your ridiculous post about how having a bunch of nba players on the roster and not accomplishing anything on the court is somehow related to having a crappy team/program.
I could see how it might upset you if your team had tons of NBA talent, but laid an egg at your school, but it has everything to do with having a sick program. If you have great and talented players and still get slapped around by teams that don't have tons of talent, then you have a problem. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but that is how it is.

Kevin durant plus dj augustine

Not to mention aj abrams and pittman were solid players. It wasnt kd and ymca squad.

the fact texas lost in the 2nd round and durant had 30 makes barnes look even worse imo.

I never said barnes mishandled kd i said he didnt win anything with him, despite KDs stellar career.
I have no idea why you're going after Barnes, but I can say losing in the second round to USC isn't quite as bad to losing to Evansville at home.

UK, UNC, and KU aren't going anywhere. Anyone else has shown they aren't willing to do what it takes.

Indiana is whatever Louisville is, historically. Change my mind. ;)
IU has more NCAA titles, All-time wins, Conference titles, coaches with multiple titles, NCAA appearances/wins(due to sanctions).

With Indiana's 20 year drought, UL has made up some ground. Both are similar to some extent, when making noise: UL was really good in the 80's. Then was ok/good in the 90's. Got back to relevance with Pitino. Indiana was very good in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Hoosiers were solid to very good at times under McCracken(2 national titles), in the 40's/50's.

Just my thoughts..

Not going well for Della

Barnes will energize the fanbase by winning some games and bringing in NBA talent but there are questions if he can do more.
The rest is based on coaching and how schools handle failure.
Indiana and UCLA haven’t done so well
UNC, Kentucky and Kansas have

Where to put Duke is the question.

I could see how it might upset you if your team had tons of NBA talent, but laid an egg at your school, but it has everything to do with having a sick program. If you have great and talented players and still get slapped around by teams that don't have tons of talent, then you have a problem. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but that is how it is.
Na my team hardly ever has nba talent. W

so is tenn a sick program since they had two one and dones but didnt win anything significant on the court?

And i would put it on the coach. Like if we were talking about lorenzo romar or johnny jones, yea i see your point. But hate to tell ya, rick barnes aint too far behind.

I jist think theres a million factors, not just well they had a player/players who ended up being good in the nba so they should have wrecked shop in college. Doesnt always work that way and sometimes the best college players dont make much of an impact in the nba at all. They draft so much more on potential over achievements.

Lets just agree to disagree. I obv have no problem with you, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I just have a smart ass mouth. My apologies for being so abrasive.

IU has more NCAA titles, All-time wins, Conference titles, coaches with multiple titles, NCAA appearances/wins(due to sanctions).

With Indiana's 20 year drought, UL has made up some ground. Both are similar to some extent, when making noise: UL was really good in the 80's. Then was ok/good in the 90's. Got back to relevance with Pitino. Indiana was very good in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Hoosiers were solid to very good at times under McCracken(2 national titles), in the 40's/50's.

Just my thoughts..
Wouldnt indiana be on a 30 year+ drought? Last natty in 87?

Surely it wasnt 20 years ago already when davis took the red headed guard to the FF.

So really the seperation point imo is that IU was good pre-1975?? while UL was not. I feel likewe had a few solid squads before we finally broke through in 80 but before my time so i dont really know Much about it.

But since then we have gained ground, esp if u discount the ncca nonsense of vacating games for strippers/prostitutes but letting baylor off the hook for multiple rape/sexual assualt incidents involving 32 diff players, on premise of the unc rule that it was a campus wide problem not just the athletes. Like any one at baylor did anything to protect a “regular student” from rape/sex assauly charges smh. But i guess thats however u wanna look at it.

I dont think anyone else can even break through to blueblood status besides IU if one of the criteria is being good back before the modern era.

The G-League coupled with the transfer portal have changed the game for everyone. Every team with a hole or two to fill can get it done through the portal and the blue bloods will lose lots of recruits to the G-League.
Those two changes evens the playing field for lots of teams (IF) they have good coaching.

....actually, the last thing all of us here but you expected was seeing a UT fan attempting to be an authority on college basketball.
How is asking a question being an authority?

Btw, why in the hell did you add an ellipsis? It makes no sense. Try this:

The last thing all of us expected was seeing a UT fan attempting to be an authority on college basketball.

It's still wrong in the fact I only asked questions, but it is cleaned up into something coherent. You're welcome.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Wow, maybe I was too poignant when posing the blue blood question. The last thing I expected was a Louisville fan lashing out against Tennessee and Rick Barnes. 😲
I was lashing out at ur ridiculous post as ive stated before.

Agreed i went about it too abrasively.

I have zero problems with either UT or barnes, just not so sure I would have made a post about teams doing less with more being a reflection of having a shitty program/team, if barnes was the coach of my team. Jmo

Apologies again for being a smart ass about it

Last edited:
‘07 Texas had 3 NBA players aside from Durant, and a few other solid pieces. That was not Kevin and the Miracles.

Just my thoughts..
IU is a monster.

Sleeping giant lately.

Don't know what it is, maybe just real hard to replace an icon/legend.

Kids like playing for Rick Barnes. Could be a player friendly system, could be he really relates to players, or he could have a first rate bag man. I wouldn't know. I like the guy though.

IU is a monster.

Sleeping giant lately.

Don't know what it is, maybe just real hard to replace an icon/legend.
I don't think that was it. Its been the hires and bad evaluations of said hires. UK and IU were great rivals and we were equally on par. Rupp's replacement won a title, Sutton was there briefly and gave us a black eye, even with that Pitino bounced back with a title, then Tubby. Then we hired an asshole, then Cal. IU had the same pocket book as we did and could've hired better, but didn't.

It looks as if IU might be back on track and maybe we can get each other scheduled again. It was great for basketball for a long time.

They could have made big dick moves this off-season but doesn’t look like they have
I will give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt for now
But looks like a possible 8 seed to bubble team
Not good enough for IU
Should have attacked the transfer portal

You can get whoever you want now. Doesn’t look like that program will get there with their current coach
The question becomes does IU continue to ruin their name or ride with a non championship quality coach
Doesn’t look like championship quality coaches want to coach there

Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT