ADVERTISEMENT

Is Self the Next "Lifetime" Coach?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
K, Williams, Calipari. Izzo is another good choice. Pitino would have been. Bennett, Few?

Wright turned down a Blue Blood job.

I’m not sure if this is going to start being a “thing” or not. If so, I guess Few (if he wins 1) or Wright.

Unless there’s no way the school can buy the coach out then it seems to be more of a symbolic gesture. Albeit, a really nice one.

For the record, I have no idea whether K and Cal can be bought out, and I have zero problem with them having a lifetime contract. I just have no clue how those contracts are constructed.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I’m not sure if this is going to start being a “thing” or not. If so, I guess Few (if he wins 1) or Wright.

Unless there’s no way the school can buy the coach out then it seems to be more of a symbolic gesture. Albeit, a really nice one.

For the record, I have no idea whether K and Cal can be bought out, and I have zero problem with them having a lifetime contract. I just have no clue how those contracts are constructed.
Williams contract is different. He's signed through 2028. That was odd when it came out for them to put a date on it (IMO, not speaking for general consensus). Does anyone believe he'll coach that long?

I remember him from...ah shucks this joke is worn out.

I hope not. Maybe if he has 10 more years like his last 15 then I'm cool with it for his remaining 5-10. Considering that K, Roy and Boeheim are all around their mid-70's then that means Self could potentially have 20 more years left in him. That's a really long time to just go ahead and give him a lifetime contract. What if he starts going 19-13 every year?

I hope not. Maybe if he has 10 more years like his last 15 then I'm cool with it for his remaining 5-10. Considering that K, Roy and Boeheim are all around their mid-70's then that means Self could potentially have 20 more years left in him. That's a really long time to just go ahead and give him a lifetime contract. What if he starts going 19-13 every year?

We love long bets.

Williams contract is different. He's signed through 2028. That was odd when it came out for them to put a date on it (IMO, not speaking for general consensus). Does anyone believe he'll coach that long?

I remember him from...ah shucks this joke is worn out.

I don’t think anyone expects him to coach it out. I certainly don’t.

We love long bets.
Cal is pretty much the same age as Self, right? I get why the offer was made, I’m just not sure I’d be a huge fan of it. I have no reason to believe that Cal or Self will fall off from their game right now but a lot can happen in 10+ years if they decide to coach into their 70’s.

Cal is pretty much the same age as Self, right? I get why the offer was made, I’m just not sure I’d be a huge fan of it. I have no reason to believe that Cal or Self will fall off from their game right now but a lot can happen in 10+ years if they decide to coach into their 70’s.
I'm sure there's a clause about infractions.

Calipari's gave UK 10 great years. **** the haters, he can afford some hiccups. Elite 8 isn't a hiccup. I'll put our last ten years against anyone. What more could you ask for. 10 years.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life

Calipari's gave UK 10 great years. **** the haters, he can afford some hiccups. Elite 8 isn't a hiccup. I'll put our last ten years against anyone. What more could you ask for.
Well sure. I’m just saying I wouldn’t want Kansas to offer Self that. What if he starts going 19-13 or even worse than that every season 10 years down the line? They’d be stuck with him and I’m sure the buyout would be massive. Like I said earlier, I’m fine with it when he’s got about 10 years left but right now seems too early to do something like that.

Well sure. I’m just saying I wouldn’t want Kansas to offer Self that. What if he starts going 19-13 or even worse than that every season 10 years down the line? They’d be stuck with him and I’m sure the buyout would be massive. Like I said earlier, I’m fine with it when he’s got about 10 years left but right now seems too early to do something like that.
OK. Self is off the list,

200.gif

I don't think lifetime contract means he cannot be removed from HC duties. I think it just means he will be employed by the school as an ambassador after is coaching stint is over

Some weren't happy with Rupp, Smith, Crum, Knight in their later years.

I don't think lifetime contract means he cannot be removed from HC duties. I think it just means he will be employed by the school as an ambassador after is coaching stint is over
Exactly. Calipari is going to get paid by UK after his coaching stint is over.

Reactions: toonces11
I believe that Knight would have won a championship with the team he had built in 2002...but when he was fired there was a growing segment of fans who wanted him gone. His last 7 years weren't very good, and a lot of people were ready to move on.

Tbh I'm not sure what these lifetime contracts really entail. Do they have clauses in them where they can be fired for performance reasons and its basically just symbolic? If the answer is no, its incredibly stupid for the school to do them. After witnessing the past 25 years of IU basketball....I'm over with being happy for what someone's done in the past. If they can't win now...I want them gone! I don't care if they won 10 straight championships...if the following 5 years are a trainwreck....its time to say see you later.

Another issue is if there's mental health issues that come up during their later years. Using Knight as an example...let's say he was never fired and he was still coaching the team. Unfortunately, its being rumored that he's having a lot of issues with dementia type symptoms. There's countless people here whose grandpa's worked way past what they should have because they didn't want to accept that they couldn't do the job they've been doing for the past 40 years anymore.

What's a school supposed to do here....let some guy who cant always remember his own name coach their team because 10 years earlier they gave him a lifetime contract?

Calipari's gave UK 10 great years. **** the haters, he can afford some hiccups. Elite 8 isn't a hiccup. I'll put our last ten years against anyone. What more could you ask for. 10 years.

You gotta tell some Duke fans that as well! Whew Lawd!

You gotta tell some Duke fans that as well! Whew Lawd!
It's crazy how many Duke fans I've heard say something along the lines of "coach k needs to step down, or he isn't as good as he once was" type of stuff. Since I live across the river from Louisville, I'm used to the stupid things from UK fans. But I definitely didn't expect it from Duke fans. I figured the fanbase would still be happy with him even after this loss.

It's crazy how many Duke fans I've heard say something along the lines of "coach k needs to step down, or he isn't as good as he once was" type of stuff. Since I live across the river from Louisville, I'm used to the stupid things from UK fans. But I definitely didn't expect it from Duke fans. I figured the fanbase would still be happy with him even after this loss.

UK doesn’t have a monopoly on idiotic fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT