ADVERTISEMENT

Play by Play Announcers / Color Commentators

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Tell me about play-by-play announcers and color commentators that stand out to you, whether for better or worse.

I enjoy listening to quite a few folks, honestly. That's usually my default. There are a lot of good ones. I was really looking forward to watching the Colorado State-New Mexico game last night (great guard play by both teams), but the play-by-play announcer kind of ruined it for me; she was extraordinarily awful. Next level. Annoying voice, incorrectly calling the players by the wrong names, weird comments. I just couldn't take it any longer. I know people mute announcers all the time, but this honestly may have been a first for me. I can usually tolerate quite a bit. The name of this cringe announcer is Jenny Cavnar. Here are viewer comments regarding her performance last night. Who else is noteworthy? Can be great or abysmal announcers.

Announcer-Bad.jpg

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Jay Williams stood out as very bad last night.

Maybe Duke fans came away with a different opinion but it’s going down on the Syracuse board as one of the worst broadcasts ever. And that’s not because Duke handed us our ass, that always happens.

Last edited:
Jay Williams stood at as very bad last night.

Maybe Duke fans came away with a different opinion but it’s going down on the Syracuse board as one of the worst broadcasts ever. And that’s not because Duke handed us our ass, that always happens.

He talked an awful lot about his connection to Duke. Felt like the game was being ignored at times as he sometimes went off on tangents like Bill Walton, albeit not as interesting. "I got locked out of Cameron earlier. I've got my number retired here."

He wasn't great, but thought he was tolerable, at least. The all-time worst Duke announcer, without question, was Shane Battier. Thankfully he only lasted one year at ESPN. So many awkward moments. I just did a little search and apparently he compared one player to both Kevin Durant and Shawn Bradley 😂😂

Robbie Hummel is very good

Love Hummel! He's right up there with Sean Farnham and Fran Fraschilla, as far as my favorite color commentators.

Did Tom Crean leave ESPN again? I don't recall him announcing any games this year. He was also a really good listen.

This has been a few years back, but former UNC great Brad Daugherty was another enjoyable commentator. He's been in the NASCAR business for a few years now. But, I always appreciated his enthusiasm.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Big Gus Johnson and Ian Eagle fan. Wish Johnson was still on CBS for tourney games.

He his not on anymore (that I am aware of), but Chris Webber was awful. Like absolutely awful in tourney games. I get that CBS and Turner partner, so they use a lot of the same broadcasters/personalities across both networks for the tourney, but I seriously had to mute the game if Webber was on. Brutal stuff.

I like Reggie Miller as well, does a good job.

My wife is a Knicks fan so we hear Mike Breen all the time. He’s obviously one of the best to ever do it. Masterful.

In college hoops, Jay Bilas is my favorite color commentator by miles.

Big Gus Johnson and Ian Eagle fan. Wish Johnson was still on CBS for tourney games.

He his not on anymore (that I am aware of), but Chris Webber was awful. Like absolutely awful in tourney games. I get that CBS and Turner partner, so they use a lot of the same broadcasters/personalities across both networks for the tourney, but I seriously had to mute the game if Webber was on. Brutal stuff.

I do miss Gus Johnson calling tournament games. Would love to have him back.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I thought Jay Williams was pretty bad last night. There’s a lot of “bad” right now. I watched a podcast with Sean McDonnough, Bill Raftery, and Jay Bilas the other day and it was pretty sad remembering those Big Mondays, even if all three are still active.

It’s funny thinking back to how I used to loathe Doris Burke, yet I’d take her on the broadcast of any CBB game in a heartbeat right now.

I thought Jay Williams was pretty bad last night. There’s a lot of “bad” right now. I watched a podcast with Sean McDonnough, Bill Raftery, and Jay Bilas the other day and it was pretty sad remembering those Big Mondays, even if all three are still active.

It’s funny thinking back to how I used to loathe Doris Burke, yet I’d take her on the broadcast of any CBB game in a heartbeat right now.

Yes, what happened to the quality? I mean, there are still good ones, but it feels like there are a lot more ho-hums out there today (i.e. Cory Alexander). I've learned to mostly tolerate it. Though, the drivel coming out of that FS1 PbP announcer last night was unbearable.

A lot of good Play by Play guys. A lot fewer color guys. Hummel definitely gonna be good for as long as he wants. To each his own but I like Bilas as well. The list of bad ones is very very long.

Yeah, Johnson and Eagle are both good ones. I watched some of that game last but had the volume down pretty low because it was as I was going to sleep so didn't notice the lady announcers. As far as female voices, I'm not a huge fan of Antonelli. Jimmy Dykes always sort of got on my nerves a little with his catch phrases. Mostly I don't pay a lot of attention to the announcers though unless Walton is on the call and then I'm all in.

Jay Bilas was destined to be in this business. He was a pretty natural interviewer for a 17 year-old.

Another basketball player who showed promise at a young age of being a future analyst was Casey Jacobsen. I can recall while he was starring at Stanford that Jacobsen openly discussed his dream of being a sports analyst/color commentator after his playing days were done. Wish I could find this one clip, but I remember there was a segment where Casey Jacobsen interviewed himself - and the camera kept panning back-and-forth between the interviewer and the interviewee, which was simply Jacobsen in two different outfits. Had a lot of poise and charisma as a 20-something year-old. So, not at all surprised to see him as one of the best analysts in the game today.

As someone that watches a lot of SEC basketball, Dykes is really annoying. Dane Bradshaw is ok though. He's chill and pretty funny sometimes. I can't stand listening to female announcers in general. There are a couple decent ones, but they are few and far between.

As someone that watches a lot of SEC basketball, Dykes is really annoying. Dane Bradshaw is ok though. He's chill and pretty funny sometimes. I can't stand listening to female announcers in general. There are a couple decent ones, but they are few and far between.
Ditto.

To my knowledge there is not one color or play by play guy with UK connections. Apparently it is a no no to CBS and ESPN to even consider them.

Dykes, who I refer to as Jimmy Dicks, sucks.

Dykes' playing days at Arkansas were right on par with his broadcasting career.

jimmy-dykes.jpg

And I would agree with the female announcers. They're okay as sideline reporters. I just think they tend to have annoying voices; it's really hard to listen to a screeching voice for an extended period of time. Debbie Antonelli is the only female color commentator that I like.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I really enjoy listening to Terrence Oglesby. He's working with the Charlotte Hornets now, but I see he's doing an AAC game this weekend. His coverage is fantastic. Would love to see him cover P6 games.

yea he is absolute trash. every time he opens his mouth in any capacity I want to punch him in the face and then force him to drive a motorcycle at high speeds through residential areas.

To my knowledge there is not one color or play by play guy with UK connections. Apparently it is a no no to CBS and ESPN to even consider them.

Dykes, who I refer to as Jimmy Dicks, sucks.

Honestly, that's kind of wild. All blue bloods should have a guy or two calling games. We have our own starting 5 for color commentators.

Jay Williams
Jim Spanarkel
Grant Hill
Jay Bilas
Mike Gminski

And then Seth Davis and Carlos Boozer are in the studio. And Wojo was in the studios last year, too.

Walton is a national, no, GLOBAL treasure.

Grant Hill is a total fraud and boring as ****. Hate that ****.

He could afford to be a little more enthusiastic. He's still better than Jay Williams and Shane Battier, at least.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Holy freaking crap! Syracuse has the most ridiculous alumni of play-by-play announcers ever! I knew some of these went to SU. But, I came across some names I wasn't expecting when I did a little search. Their depth of notable PbP announcers is second to none. There are other names. But, these were the ones that stood out to me when I was researching the SU broadcast journalism graduates.

1st Team
Bob Costas (Greatest of All Time, IMO)
Marv Albert
Mike Tirico
Sean McDonough
Ian Eagle

2nd Team (aka Team Dave)
Dave Pasch
Eric Collins
Dave Flemming
Dave O'Brien
Dave Ryan

HM:
Beth Mowins
Anish Shroff

You haven't lived until you've heard Shon Morris on BTN use 1,000 words to describe a layup. To be fair, he's often paired with Kevin Kugler, who also does NFL games on FOX, and Kugler is incredible.

Reactions: PA_Panther
He could afford to be a little more enthusiastic. He's still better than Jay Williams and Shane Battier, at least.

How excited do you think you’d be if you were told the love of your life had exactly 4 months left to live?

Holy freaking crap! Syracuse has the most ridiculous alumni of play-by-play announcers ever! I knew some of these went to SU. But, I came across some names I wasn't expecting when I did a little search. Their depth of notable PbP announcers is second to none. There are other names. But, these were the ones that stood out to me when I was researching the SU broadcast journalism graduates.

1st Team
Bob Costas (Greatest of All Time, IMO)
Marv Albert
Mike Tirico
Sean McDonough
Ian Eagle

2nd Team (aka Team Dave)
Dave Pasch
Eric Collins
Dave Flemming
Dave O'Brien
Dave Ryan

HM:
Beth Mowins
Anish Shroff
I was going to say Syracuse is the best all time but then I saw Beth Mowins name and now I think they are shit for ever putting a microphone in front of her. She negates Costas, Albert and Tirico.

• Haha
Reactions: dukedevilz

What game did he work as colored commentary?

How excited do you think you’d be if you were told the love of your life had exactly 4 months left to live?

Was Grant's wife told she only had 4 months to live?

Either way, I'm not sure that's changed his temperament. Grant is a genuinely nice person. And he has a calming presence. And that's great for having conversations. He's just not someone that gets super amped and excited behind a microphone. That's just not who he is. He doesn't need to be Gus Johnson, but he could afford to show a little more emotion.

I was going to say Syracuse is the best all time but then I saw Beth Mowins name and now I think they are shit for ever putting a microphone in front of her. She negates Costas, Albert and Tirico.

lol right! I put her on HM list because I figured people recognized the name. But, all of those Daves on my 2nd Team are far superior to her.

What game did he work as colored commentary?

This one. Full game is available for viewing.

Was Grant's wife told she only had 4 months to live?

Either way, I'm not sure that's changed his temperament. Grant is a genuinely nice person. And he has a calming presence. And that's great for having conversations. He's just not someone that gets super amped and excited behind a microphone. That's just not who he is. He doesn't need to be Gus Johnson, but he could afford to show a little more emotion.
my bad, I thought you were talking about Walton. The love of Walton's life (Pac12) only has 4 months to live.

Agree on Grant, he sucks and is a total fraud. I'm biased because I'm an Atlanta Hawks fans and Grant is currently a so called part owner of the Hawks. us Hawks fans don't like him and think he only became owner so he could list it on his resume and couldn't care less about the team.

Reactions: dukedevilz
My wife is a Knicks fan so we hear Mike Breen all the time. He’s obviously one of the best to ever do it. Masterful.

In college hoops, Jay Bilas is my favorite color commentator by miles.
Like Bilas a lot. Like Gus Johnson for one game

Most of the BTN guys suck. Hummel has really improved after a tough first couple of years. Generally objective about purdue and Indiana unless it comes to crunch time. He is the best among that shitty crew.

Even though he is a Nitter, I think that Jon Crispin is fantastic. With Pitt turning into a dumpster fire I really don't pay attention to the crews as much these past few years. I know this much though, Dan Bonner makes me wish I was deaf.

ADVERTISEMENT