ADVERTISEMENT

Is FSU's Tucker Center now the hardest place to play in college basketball?

Speaking of grad transfers, you have any insight where Seth Towns is going to end up? I would love to see UVA get involved. Add in Towns and Hauser to our foundation and recruiting class and I really like next year's team.

I feel like he's an Ohio State lean, but could see UNC making a strong push for him, too.

Reactions: jhmossy
What FSU has done over the last four years is really, really impressive. I know it sounds like I'm downgrading that a bit, I just don't think it's as impressive as what Kansas has done over the course of the past 21 seasons.

And yes, KU has had more talent. But still, isn't the topic the most difficult place to play? Not the most difficult place to play, per talent level? And as I previously mentioned, FSU has only played 3 top 10 games during that span. So I'm not sure the SOS argument carries a whole lot of merit.

What has most FSU fans excited about this record, is the fact that we’re not a blue blood or traditional power. Anyone that remembers the Steve Robinson days, what a door mat FSU was, knows how impressive this last 3-4 year run has been. Yes it pales compared to some of the greats, that have enjoyed much longer stretches of success, but this last span follows a 4 year stretch where we were just existing.. couldn’t sniff an NCAA invite. Just my thoughts

What has most FSU fans excited about this record, is the fact that we’re not a blue blood or traditional power. Anyone that remembers the Steve Robinson days, what a door mat FSU was, knows how impressive this last 3-4 year run has been. Yes it pales compared to some of the greats, that have enjoyed much longer stretches of success, but this last span follows a 4 year stretch where we were just existing.. couldn’t sniff an NCAA invite. Just my thoughts

Still think it's amazing that Tulsa had 3 coaches win a national championship at other schools - Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, and Bill Self. Steve Robinson wasn't quite up to their standard, but at least he maintained the program that Tubby left.

But yes, to your point, Robinson struggled mightily during his short stint. And FSU is right up their with the bluebloods in defending the home court. So, certainly something to be proud about.

Duke is always trouble for FSU. The reality is over even the 3-5 years since Ham resurrected the downward spiral, still rarely beat Duke. Too much talent, good coaching, and conditioning. Getting closer. FSU will never be littered with 5 stars and McDonalds AA’s.

I know this doesn't tell the full picture, but I do find this stat kind of interesting.

Home record verse Top 10 teams since the 2016-17 season:

Virginia: 5-1 (83.3%)
UNC: 7-3 (70.0%)
Duke: 4-2 (66.7%)
Louisville: 4-4 (50.0%)
FSU: 1-2 (33.3%)

Man, I wish we got to play more top 10 teams at home. UL was top 10 when we kicked their ass on the road this year. But 11 last night.

I agree, it's a flawed stat. That's why I qualified it and said it doesn't tell the full picture. Again, what FSU has done over the past 4 seasons is really remarkable. Much better than Duke. I just thought it was interesting. The reality is, you're going to lose a couple games to teams that you should beat semi-comfortably. So, holding serve on all of those game should be applauded. Just makes me pause for a moment when I see a limited number of top-tier teams. That's all.

I’m guessing you’re going off the time of the game played? Because we beat Purdue a couple years ago who was unranked...and then they ended up in the elite 8.

Reactions: supergreennole
Maybe I'm missing it but wiki doesn't list Allen Fieldhouse record, but this is interesting.

ESPN The Magazine named Allen Fieldhouse the loudest college basketball arena in the country.[5][12] The arena broke the Guinness World Record for loudest roar on February 13, 2017, against West Virginia at 130.4 dB.[13] The prior record of 126.4 dB at Lexington's Rupp Arena which lasted less than three weeks also had many Kansas fans present as the Jayhawks beat the #4 Wildcats 79-73 in the Big 12/SEC Challenge.[14]

Allen Fieldhouse is often considered one of the best home court advantages in men's college basketball.[15][16][17][18] The Jayhawks have won over 70 percent of their games in Allen Fieldhouse, losing only a little over 100 games in its over 60-year history

Cameron Indoor.

Home court advantage[edit]
Records at Cameron Indoor Stadium
All-Time: 832–154 (.844)[11]
Coach K: 474–59 (.889)[11]
Since 1997-98: 266–17 (.940)[11]

Duke is 179-12 (.937) at home since the 2004–05 season, second only to Allen Fieldhouse in winning percentage at home.

I haven’t gone back to look at the number of wins but I think KU has lost 7 games in Allen Fieldhouse since the start of the 09-10 season through current.

Honestly, what one would need to do is compare home records to road records. Think of the undefeated UK season. They didn’t lose a home game because they didn’t lose a game period, prior to the Final Four.

That’s not necessarily an indication of home court advantage, that’s an indication of a stunningly good team.

Kansas hasn’t lost a lot of games period. They win 25+ every season. FSU hasn’t been on that level until the last 3-4 years. So we need to look at home performance compared to non-home performance.

Reactions: nole96
Honestly, what one would need to do is compare home records to road records. Think of the undefeated UK season. They didn’t lose a home game because they didn’t lose a game period, prior to the Final Four.

That’s not necessarily an indication of home court advantage, that’s an indication of a stunningly good team.

Kansas hasn’t lost a lot of games period. They win 25+ every season. FSU hasn’t been on that level until the last 3-4 years. So we need to look at home performance compared to non-home performance.

I haven’t seen a larger split this year than Purdue. They seem pathetic away from home but they rack up some quality wins at home. Some of them were beatdowns too.

Reactions: GE Nole

Or average decibels, peak decibels, average student attendance, average capacity, % capacity, etc. I think those are a much better indicator of home court advantage than comparing home and road records. As you said a good team is good and it doesn’t mean that they have a home court advantage...but it doesn’t mean they don’t either. A team could have a great home record and a shit road record and it doesn’t mean they have a good home court advantage...it may just mean they are shit on the road...but it doesn’t mean that they don’t have a good advantage either.

There’s probably no single metric that will determine but if you stack a bunch of meaningful metrics together, average them out, and that will probably get you close.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
When discussing best home court advantage you need to include a large sample size. Groups of players “aka” teams can have great home records but find multiple groups of players to figure out best home court. FSU has a really tough place to play over the past three years but.....simply put it’s not Allen Fieldhouse which has greatness across years and years.

Reactions: huskitt
I think of home court advantage as more of dbl, attendance, tradition, overall environment/atmosphere, rather than players or coaching as those tend to come and go.

I’m guessing you’re going off the time of the game played? Because we beat Purdue a couple years ago who was unranked...and then they ended up in the elite 8.

Yep. The records against top 10 teams could be a bit misleading. Just easier to track that way when it's already listed on the schedule.

Part is what is making Tucker Center so hard to play in is how down the football team has been...

Noles fans are looking for somewhere to get rowdy, do the Chop and Warchant... that final dunk against Louisville sounded like when we blow up a player in a tackle in the DOAK.

Hopefully that type of enthusiasm will return to the DOAK soon under Norvell... but for now, Noles fans are getting rowdy at the Tucker center... and that's fine...

I want FSU to be a Basketball and Football school... and to win a CWS too. We've been so good at baseball for so long, we need a Title... and what Hamilton has slowly built up on the hardwood, it's about time we win the NCAA Tournament.

Would be sick if we could win all three in the same year. SmokinSmile

Go Noles!

Part is what is making Tucker Center so hard to play in is how down the football team has been...

Noles fans are looking for somewhere to get rowdy, do the Chop and Warchant... that final dunk against Louisville sounded like when we blow up a player in a tackle in the DOAK.

Hopefully that type of enthusiasm will return to the DOAK soon under Norvell... but for now, Noles fans are getting rowdy at the Tucker center... and that's fine...

I want FSU to be a Basketball and Football school... and to win a CWS too. We've been so good at baseball for so long, we need a Title... and what Hamilton has slowly built up on the hardwood, it's about time we win the NCAA Tournament.

Would be sick if we could win all three in the same year. SmokinSmile

Go Noles!

A baseball, basketball, and football title in the same year? Florida is the only school to ever pull off the basketball-football sweep, if I'm not mistaken. Winning in baseball, on top of that, would be darn near impossible, IMO. But good luck.

A baseball, basketball, and football title in the same year? Florida is the only school to ever pull off the basketball-football sweep, if I'm not mistaken. Winning in baseball, on top of that, would be darn near impossible, IMO. But good luck.
That’s not what he is saying I don’t think, just wants to win one in each in the near future

Yep. The records against top 10 teams could be a bit misleading. Just easier to track that way when it's already listed on the schedule.

Fair enough, but yeah I’d say that’s pretty misleading. Imagine if we were counting a top 10 win over someone like Carolina this year.

Agreed.

Since Feb 20, 2016, FSU is 64-3 at home and 19-24 on the road.

I haven't looked it up, but I'm going to guess Kansas/Duke/Kentucky aren't 19-24 on the road over this period of time.

FSU has it going pretty good. Didn't read the entire thread, I'm guessing somebody like the Zags may be the only team with a better home court record over their last 60?

How do you feel about KenPom's home court advantage estimates?

homecourt-kenpom.png

I honestly haven’t really ever looked into that. Thoughts?

Home court advantage seems like a really hard stat to track for the sake of comparison. Gonzaga only has two losses during the last 4 years (62-2). But, of course, their home schedule is significantly weaker than FSU's.

I kind of like the idea that you mentioned earlier to compare winning percentages at home compared to percentages on the road. Only problem with that, is if FSU is winning 95% of their home games, and only 47% of the road games, there's obviously a pretty big gap there. You're looking at 47-48%. The reality is, Kansas, Gonzaga, Villanova, Virginia, and probably a few others have won well over 60% of their road games during the past 4 years. It's impossible for a team winning 60% of the road games to match FSU's gap between home and road winning percentage.

Looks like the gap for Colorado is a little higher - closer to 49%. Perhaps that's partly due to the elevation. And Air Force, Utah State, and Utah all find themselves all in the top 10 of KenPom's ranking. So maybe there is something to that. I see West Virginia coming in at #2. That, to me, makes sense because the other Big XII teams would have a much longer travel time to get to Morganton. So, KenPom's stat doesn't so much tell us where the hardest venues to play necessarily are. But, more on the basis of which teams play significantly better at home than on the road. It does seem weird that FSU has only lost 3 games in the past 4 years at home and they're not ranked in the top 50. Not looking at the margins of victory over that time span, I can't help but think that means they've won a lot of close games at home - and lost a lot of close games on the road. Perhaps the depth of FSU, compounded with the noise factor, is what helps FSU prevail at home more often than not?

Also, I do see some limitation in his stat if he's trying to track the past 60 home games and 60 road games. An ACC team might play 15 home games, and 10 road games. To get a sample of your past 60 games, you would need data from the past 4 years for home games -and your past 6 years for road games. I don't like the idea of including road games in the sample, when the home games for two years would be excluded. Anyway, I'm rambling a bit. I think KenPom's ranking makes sense as it measures the average margin between road and home games. But, I acknowledge that this stat is really, really difficult to judge on a comparative basis. Would love to know what the actual algorithm is. At any rate, what FSU has done over the past 4 years is mind-blowing. It's something to be proud of - and it's much more impressive than the Zags home record, given the competition.

Reactions: GE Nole
Home court advantage seems like a really hard stat to track for the sake of comparison. Gonzaga only has two losses during the last 4 years (62-2). But, of course, their home schedule is significantly weaker than FSU's.

I kind of like the idea that you mentioned earlier to compare winning percentages at home compared to percentages on the road. Only problem with that, is if FSU is winning 95% of their home games, and only 47% of the road games, there's obviously a pretty big gap there. You're looking at 47-48%. The reality is, Kansas, Gonzaga, Villanova, Virginia, and probably a few others have won well over 60% of their road games during the past 4 years. It's impossible for a team winning 60% of the road games to match FSU's gap between home and road winning percentage.

Looks like the gap for Colorado is a little higher - closer to 49%. Perhaps that's partly due to the elevation. And Air Force, Utah State, and Utah all find themselves all in the top 10 of KenPom's ranking. So maybe there is something to that. I see West Virginia coming in at #2. That, to me, makes sense because the other Big XII teams would have a much longer travel time to get to Morganton. So, KenPom's stat doesn't so much tell us where the hardest venues to play necessarily are. But, more on the basis of which teams play significantly better at home than on the road. It does seem weird that FSU has only lost 3 games in the past 4 years at home and they're not ranked in the top 50. Not looking at the margins of victory over that time span, I can't help but think that means they've won a lot of close games at home - and lost a lot of close games on the road. Perhaps the depth of FSU, compounded with the noise factor, is what helps FSU prevail at home more often than not?

Also, I do see some limitation in his stat if he's trying to track the past 60 home games and 60 road games. An ACC team might play 15 home games, and 10 road games. To get a sample of your past 60 games, you would need data from the past 4 years for home games -and your past 6 years for road games. I don't like the idea of including road games in the sample, when the home games for two years would be excluded. Anyway, I'm rambling a bit. I think KenPom's ranking makes sense as it measures the average margin between road and home games. But, I acknowledge that this stat is really, really difficult to judge on a comparative basis. Would love to know what the actual algorithm is. At any rate, what FSU has done over the past 4 years is mind-blowing. It's something to be proud of - and it's much more impressive than the Zags home record, given the competition.

That was a lot of stream of conscious...but I follow and agree with pretty much all of it lol.

ADVERTISEMENT